Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Good food at Mexican restaurants!

We have noticed that more and more Mexican restaurants are serving low carb
salads. Granted these are the more Americanized places, but those are the
sort we have in this area. But some of the taquerias are also serving
salads. That was my big beef with Mexican food when we lived in CA. None
of the restaurants had salads and although I love Mexican food, there were
just too many carbs in the food for me.

Tonight we tried a place in Woodinville where we had not eaten before.
Plaza Garcia. Angela had a Carlos Salad which had a nice chicken breast,
cheese, tomatoes and tons of sautéed mushrooms and onions on top. Instead
of dressing she had sour cream and guacamole. The only problem was that the
thing was HUGE! I think it could have easily fed a family of four.

We didn't get a box because we didn't think it would be a good leftover
given the cooked veggies on the salad. Oddly the menu didn't say that the
mushrooms and onions were cooked so I assumed they would be raw.

So if you've been avoiding Mexican places because of the carbs, you might
want to check their menus again!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> We have noticed that more and more Mexican restaurants are serving
> low carb salads. Granted these are the more Americanized places, but
> those are the sort we have in this area. But some of the taquerias
> are also serving salads. That was my big beef with Mexican food when
> we lived in CA. None of the restaurants had salads and although I
> love Mexican food, there were just too many carbs in the food for me.
>
> Tonight we tried a place in Woodinville where we had not eaten before.
> Plaza Garcia. Angela had a Carlos Salad which had a nice chicken
> breast, cheese, tomatoes and tons of sautéed mushrooms and onions on
> top. Instead of dressing she had sour cream and guacamole. The only
> problem was that the thing was HUGE! I think it could have easily
> fed a family of four.
> We didn't get a box because we didn't think it would be a good
> leftover given the cooked veggies on the salad. Oddly the menu
> didn't say that the mushrooms and onions were cooked so I assumed
> they would be raw.
> So if you've been avoiding Mexican places because of the carbs, you
> might want to check their menus again!

Same thing is true of Chipotle Grill. I was curious about it, so when one
opened in our area I eventually had lunch there. It was possible to get all
of the burrito fillings on a bed of nice lettuce, instead. Very tasty.

FYI, the new entity associated with McDonald's, Fresh City, has a "low carb"
burrito option. It contains chicken, black beans, salsa, cheese, and
guacamole, on a low carb wrap. It's 20-something carbs. It's my go-to
alternative when eating at highway rest stops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> We have noticed that more and more Mexican restaurants are serving
>> low carb salads. Granted these are the more Americanized places, but
>> those are the sort we have in this area. But some of the taquerias
>> are also serving salads. That was my big beef with Mexican food when
>> we lived in CA. None of the restaurants had salads and although I
>> love Mexican food, there were just too many carbs in the food for me.
>>
>> Tonight we tried a place in Woodinville where we had not eaten before.
>> Plaza Garcia. Angela had a Carlos Salad which had a nice chicken
>> breast, cheese, tomatoes and tons of sautéed mushrooms and onions on
>> top. Instead of dressing she had sour cream and guacamole. The only
>> problem was that the thing was HUGE! I think it could have easily
>> fed a family of four.
>> We didn't get a box because we didn't think it would be a good
>> leftover given the cooked veggies on the salad. Oddly the menu
>> didn't say that the mushrooms and onions were cooked so I assumed
>> they would be raw.
>> So if you've been avoiding Mexican places because of the carbs, you
>> might want to check their menus again!

> Same thing is true of Chipotle Grill. I was curious about it, so when one
> opened in our area I eventually had lunch there. It was possible to get
> all of the burrito fillings on a bed of nice lettuce, instead. Very tasty.
>
> FYI, the new entity associated with McDonald's, Fresh City, has a "low
> carb" burrito option. It contains chicken, black beans, salsa, cheese, and
> guacamole, on a low carb wrap. It's 20-something carbs. It's my go-to
> alternative when eating at highway rest stops.

There is a Chipotle near my parent's house but I never tried it because my
dad said the food was tasteless.

I have not heard of Fresh City but would not eat a low carb burrito because
most likely the tortilla has soy in it. Plus I don't trust McDonalds at
all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> I have not heard of Fresh City but would not eat a low carb burrito because
> most likely the tortilla has soy in it. Plus I don't trust McDonalds at
> all.

you could look at their product info which they are obliged to have available,
but I find it amusing that you trust corporations to tell you what is in your
food, but not McDonalds
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> We have noticed that more and more Mexican restaurants are serving
>>> low carb salads. Granted these are the more Americanized places,
>>> but those are the sort we have in this area. But some of the
>>> taquerias are also serving salads. That was my big beef with
>>> Mexican food when we lived in CA. None of the restaurants had
>>> salads and although I love Mexican food, there were just too many
>>> carbs in the food for me. Tonight we tried a place in Woodinville where
>>> we had not eaten
>>> before. Plaza Garcia. Angela had a Carlos Salad which had a nice
>>> chicken breast, cheese, tomatoes and tons of sautéed mushrooms and
>>> onions on top. Instead of dressing she had sour cream and
>>> guacamole. The only problem was that the thing was HUGE! I think
>>> it could have easily fed a family of four.
>>> We didn't get a box because we didn't think it would be a good
>>> leftover given the cooked veggies on the salad. Oddly the menu
>>> didn't say that the mushrooms and onions were cooked so I assumed
>>> they would be raw.
>>> So if you've been avoiding Mexican places because of the carbs, you
>>> might want to check their menus again!

>> Same thing is true of Chipotle Grill. I was curious about it, so
>> when one opened in our area I eventually had lunch there. It was
>> possible to get all of the burrito fillings on a bed of nice
>> lettuce, instead. Very tasty. FYI, the new entity associated with
>> McDonald's, Fresh City, has a
>> "low carb" burrito option. It contains chicken, black beans, salsa,
>> cheese, and guacamole, on a low carb wrap. It's 20-something carbs.
>> It's my go-to alternative when eating at highway rest stops.

> There is a Chipotle near my parent's house but I never tried it
> because my dad said the food was tasteless.

Well, I don't agree.

> I have not heard of Fresh City but would not eat a low carb burrito
> because most likely the tortilla has soy in it. Plus I don't trust
> McDonalds at all.

Luckily for me, I have no food allergies.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> We have noticed that more and more Mexican restaurants are serving
>>> low carb salads. Granted these are the more Americanized places,
>>> but
>>> those are the sort we have in this area. But some of the taquerias
>>> are also serving salads. That was my big beef with Mexican food
>>> when
>>> we lived in CA. None of the restaurants had salads and although I
>>> love Mexican food, there were just too many carbs in the food for
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Tonight we tried a place in Woodinville where we had not eaten
>>> before.
>>> Plaza Garcia. Angela had a Carlos Salad which had a nice chicken
>>> breast, cheese, tomatoes and tons of sautéed mushrooms and onions on
>>> top. Instead of dressing she had sour cream and guacamole. The
>>> only
>>> problem was that the thing was HUGE! I think it could have easily
>>> fed a family of four.
>>> We didn't get a box because we didn't think it would be a good
>>> leftover given the cooked veggies on the salad. Oddly the menu
>>> didn't say that the mushrooms and onions were cooked so I assumed
>>> they would be raw.
>>> So if you've been avoiding Mexican places because of the carbs, you
>>> might want to check their menus again!

>> Same thing is true of Chipotle Grill. I was curious about it, so when
>> one opened in our area I eventually had lunch there. It was possible
>> to get all of the burrito fillings on a bed of nice lettuce, instead.
>> Very tasty.
>>
>> FYI, the new entity associated with McDonald's, Fresh City, has a
>> "low carb" burrito option. It contains chicken, black beans, salsa,
>> cheese, and guacamole, on a low carb wrap. It's 20-something carbs.
>> It's my go-to alternative when eating at highway rest stops.

> There is a Chipotle near my parent's house but I never tried it
> because my dad said the food was tasteless.
>
> I have not heard of Fresh City but would not eat a low carb burrito
> because most likely the tortilla has soy in it. Plus I don't trust
> McDonalds at all.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you only had to watch/limit your
soy intake because of thyroid problems not because you are allergic? I
disagree about not trusting McDonald's. Large corporations like that are
built on reputation and people love suing large corporations.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Same thing is true of Chipotle Grill. I was curious about it, so when
>>> one opened in our area I eventually had lunch there. It was possible to
>>> get all of the burrito fillings on a bed of nice lettuce, instead. Very
>>> tasty.
>>>
>>> FYI, the new entity associated with McDonald's, Fresh City, has a "low
>>> carb" burrito option. It contains chicken, black beans, salsa, cheese,
>>> and guacamole, on a low carb wrap. It's 20-something carbs. It's my
>>> go-to alternative when eating at highway rest stops.

>> There is a Chipotle near my parent's house but I never tried it because
>> my dad said the food was tasteless.
>>
>> I have not heard of Fresh City but would not eat a low carb burrito
>> because most likely the tortilla has soy in it. Plus I don't trust
>> McDonalds at all.

> Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you only had to watch/limit your
> soy intake because of thyroid problems not because you are allergic? I
> disagree about not trusting McDonald's. Large corporations like that are
> built on reputation and people love suing large corporations.

McDonalds in your country might be different. But here IMO they have two
strikes against them. They said their fries were vegetarian when in fact
they were being fried in beef fat. I believe they were sued by some Indian
(as in from India) people who would not knowingly eat beef and were led to
believe the fries were fine for them.

Then they switched oil and now it contains milk and wheat although this fact
was not disclosed until just a few years ago.

These things probably wouldn't matter to the average person. But to a
person with food allergies? I let Angela eat the fries not knowing they
were not safe for her and then wondering why she got sick. Well now I know.

So for those reasons I can not trust what they say to be the truth.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/30/2011 5:16 PM, Janet wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Same thing is true of Chipotle Grill. I was curious about it, so
>>> when one opened in our area I eventually had lunch there. It was
>>> possible to get all of the burrito fillings on a bed of nice
>>> lettuce, instead. Very tasty. FYI, the new entity associated with
>>> McDonald's, Fresh City, has a
>>> "low carb" burrito option. It contains chicken, black beans, salsa,
>>> cheese, and guacamole, on a low carb wrap. It's 20-something carbs.
>>> It's my go-to alternative when eating at highway rest stops.

>> There is a Chipotle near my parent's house but I never tried it
>> because my dad said the food was tasteless.

> Well, I don't agree.
>
>> I have not heard of Fresh City but would not eat a low carb burrito
>> because most likely the tortilla has soy in it. Plus I don't trust
>> McDonalds at all.

> Luckily for me, I have no food allergies.

Then you may want to check if there is a Hardee's in your area
with a menu item I've seen at a local one - a low-carb breakfast
bowl. Has eggs in it, though.