Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?

All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?

Or just you bread baking BUMS!!! for that matter!

How do you go about slicing up your loafs into typical sliced bread?!?

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk said...

> "Andy" wrote
>
>> All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?

>> How do you go about slicing up your loafs into typical sliced bread?!?

> With one of those heavy plastic guides that you fit the loaf into then
> slice down with a serrated bread knife.
>
> http://www.target.com/
>
> Look for Bread Slicer. Thats a sample.

cshenk,

Not the concise URL I'd expect, so it's ignored.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" wrote

> All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?

> How do you go about slicing up your loafs into typical sliced bread?!?

With one of those heavy plastic guides that you fit the loaf into then slice
down with a serrated bread knife.

http://www.target.com/

Look for Bread Slicer. Thats a sample.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote
> cshenk said...

>> With one of those heavy plastic guides that you fit the loaf into then
>> slice down with a serrated bread knife.
>>
>> http://www.target.com/
>>
>> Look for Bread Slicer. Thats a sample.

> Not the concise URL I'd expect, so it's ignored.

Sorry, full one too long to post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:51:48 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>Wait until the loaf has completely cooled.
>
>Use a serrated, long-blade knife.

Slice from side of bread, not top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I gotta dig up a few recipes. HOMEWORK! Dammit. On weekends no less! I wanna
play with girls!!! DAD... Can I go out and play? I'll try making bread
tomorrow! SourD'oH even!

Andy's Evil Twin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?

Yes

> Or just you bread baking BUMS!!! for that matter!

Yes

> How do you go about slicing up your loafs into typical sliced bread?!?

Electric knife.

Dimitri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

> On 7-Feb-2009, Andy > wrote:
>
> > All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?
> >
> > Or just you bread baking BUMS!!! for that matter!
> >
> > How do you go about slicing up your loafs into typical sliced bread?!?
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Andy

> Wait until the loaf has completely cooled.

It becomes even more sliceable if you stash it in the fridge overnight...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 07:13:52 -0600, Andy wrote:

> cshenk said...
>
>> "Andy" wrote
>>
>>> All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?

>>> How do you go about slicing up your loafs into typical sliced bread?!?

>> With one of those heavy plastic guides that you fit the loaf into then
>> slice down with a serrated bread knife.
>>
>> http://www.target.com/
>>
>> Look for Bread Slicer. Thats a sample.

> cshenk,
>
> Not the concise URL I'd expect, so it's ignored.
>
> Andy

lazy *******.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy said...

>> Not the concise URL I'd expect, so it's ignored.
>>
>> Andy

> lazy *******.
>
> blake

Type a paragraph and get back to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 10:21:23 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:51:48 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>
>>Wait until the loaf has completely cooled.
>>
>>Use a serrated, long-blade knife.

>Slice from side of bread, not top.

Excellent point!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've never had a good loaf out of my machines so I never got to the
slicing part.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 6:18*am, Andy > wrote:
> All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?
>
> Or just you bread baking BUMS!!! for that matter!
>
> How do you go about slicing up your loafs into typical sliced bread?!?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Let it cool overnight before slicing. It is totally unsliceable when
the least bit warm.

use a sharp bread knife.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:55:26 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>l, not -l wrote:
>
>> On 7-Feb-2009, Andy > wrote:
>>
>> > All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?
>> >
>> > Or just you bread baking BUMS!!! for that matter!
>> >
>> > How do you go about slicing up your loafs into typical sliced bread?!?
>> >
>> > Best,
>> >
>> > Andy

>> Wait until the loaf has completely cooled.

>It becomes even more sliceable if you stash it in the fridge overnight..

Overnight? I've never had homemade bread last that long. Is it
really true that some people can??

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 3:25*pm, Damsel in dis Dress >
wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:55:26 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
>

> > wrote:
> >l, not -l wrote:

> >> Wait until the loaf has completely cooled.

> >It becomes even more sliceable if you stash it in the fridge overnight..

> Overnight? *I've never had homemade bread last that long. *Is it
> really true that some people can??
>
> Carol

Well, we make it 2-3 loaves a week for sandwiches, so yes, it can
last. At the rate we use it, I'm not sure why we freeze it, but we
do. Maybe it keeps the vermin out of the kitchen? The ones the cat
doesn't get<g>.

I usually make the bread last thing at night (start at 8, done by 11),
so after it comes out of the oven, I set it on the rack to cool, and
slice it when I come down in the morning to make breakfast.

We're not bread-with-dinner folks, which might explain the apparent
self-control<g>. If we were, I could set the machine up in the
morning, and have it timed for when I get home from work. That's too
much like work, tho. Only the crockpot gets that much planning from
me.

maxine in ri
happy tummy full of Smoked Salmon Chowder

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 18:34:00 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri
> wrote:

>On Feb 7, 3:25*pm, Damsel in dis Dress >
>wrote:
>
>> Overnight? *I've never had homemade bread last that long. *Is it
>> really true that some people can??

>Well, we make it 2-3 loaves a week for sandwiches, so yes, it can
>last. At the rate we use it, I'm not sure why we freeze it, but we
>do. Maybe it keeps the vermin out of the kitchen? The ones the cat
>doesn't get<g>.
>
>I usually make the bread last thing at night (start at 8, done by 11),
>so after it comes out of the oven, I set it on the rack to cool, and
>slice it when I come down in the morning to make breakfast.
>
>We're not bread-with-dinner folks, which might explain the apparent
>self-control<g>

See, even if I made it according to your timetable, there would be
none left for breakfast. I am unable to comprehend homemade bread
that has cooled thoroughly. Just doesn't seem natural.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Andy" wrote
>
>> All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?

>> How do you go about slicing up your loafs into typical sliced bread?!?

> With one of those heavy plastic guides that you fit the loaf into then slice
> down with a serrated bread knife.
>
> http://www.target.com/
>
> Look for Bread Slicer. Thats a sample.

We never seem to use ours (and we bake nearly all our bread). We just
wait until the bread is really cooled, and cut it as straightly as we
can. Comes out pretty well. Bread doesn't cut well when it's warm at
all, but sometimes you just gotta have warm bread.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 18:34:00 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri
> > wrote:
>
>> On Feb 7, 3:25 pm, Damsel in dis Dress >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Overnight? I've never had homemade bread last that long. Is it
>>> really true that some people can??

>> Well, we make it 2-3 loaves a week for sandwiches, so yes, it can
>> last. At the rate we use it, I'm not sure why we freeze it, but we
>> do. Maybe it keeps the vermin out of the kitchen? The ones the cat
>> doesn't get<g>.
>>
>> I usually make the bread last thing at night (start at 8, done by 11),
>> so after it comes out of the oven, I set it on the rack to cool, and
>> slice it when I come down in the morning to make breakfast.
>>
>> We're not bread-with-dinner folks, which might explain the apparent
>> self-control<g>

> See, even if I made it according to your timetable, there would be
> none left for breakfast. I am unable to comprehend homemade bread
> that has cooled thoroughly. Just doesn't seem natural.

That's how I was when we first started making bread. (Also, how the
teenager was when she first moved here.) -- Bread barely lasted a couple
hours after it was baked. But the novelty does wear off, and it mostly
just becomes bread again. :-)

Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy said...

> Bread doesn't cut well when it's warm at
> all, but sometimes you just gotta have warm bread.

Serene,

I imagine the smell of a fresh warm loaf of bread allows for just ripping
it apart. I'd do something like that, like for swiping up any plate sauces!

French toast (or PB&J) would be a different matter!

I will visit the online shopping stores and learn more about them. I'm this
>< close to buying a bread machine. I'm probably the last man standing

without one! <G>

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?
>
> Or just you bread baking BUMS!!! for that matter!
>
> How do you go about slicing up your loafs into typical sliced bread?!?

If by "typical slice bread" you mean the thin even slices
you get when you buy bread already sliced in the store or
bakery - well, I don't.

I like my slices much thicker than "typical". I just saw
off a slice or two with my bread knife when I require them.
And the bread stays fresher longer if it is not all pre-sliced.

I've heard people complain about having to slice bread themselves
because they "can't get the slices nice and even". Well, who
cares? I like uneven slices. They have character.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...?
>>
>> Or just you bread baking BUMS!!! for that matter!
>>
>> How do you go about slicing up your loafs into typical sliced bread?!?

> If by "typical slice bread" you mean the thin even slices
> you get when you buy bread already sliced in the store or
> bakery - well, I don't.
>
> I like my slices much thicker than "typical". I just saw
> off a slice or two with my bread knife when I require them.
> And the bread stays fresher longer if it is not all pre-sliced.
>
> I've heard people complain about having to slice bread themselves
> because they "can't get the slices nice and even". Well, who
> cares? I like uneven slices. They have character.

Plus, practice really does help. My slices are thinner and more uniform
now than when I started baking my own bread.

Also, I do slice all the bread at once these days, because if I don't,
my teenager hacks off great uneven slices from the loaf and it's hard
for other people to get sandwich-appropriate slices out of that loaf. :-)

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally said...

> I've heard people complain about having to slice bread themselves
> because they "can't get the slices nice and even". Well, who
> cares? I like uneven slices. They have character.

Kate,

LOLOLOL!!!

Bread with character! LOL!!!

Perhaps!

Maybe not in the French toast world?

I found a bread "form" that you sit the loaf in and it has slots for the
knife to slice down into to create even slices as needed.
http://tinyurl.com/b77eol

I guess all that's left is to commit to a bread machine. I'm a whole wheat
whole grain BUM!!! but other breads are by no means out of the question.

Speaking of French toast, "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives" yesterday showcased a
diner that made Capt'n Crunch French toast. After soaking in egg batter the
bread was dropped into a pan of crushed Capt'n Crunch cereal liberally
coated on both sides then cooked as usual. The customers raved about it. A
definite blood glucose spike if you ask me!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:55:26 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
> >l, not -l wrote:

bread?!?

> >> Wait until the loaf has completely cooled.

> >It becomes even more sliceable if you stash it in the fridge overnight..

> Overnight? I've never had homemade bread last that long. Is it
> really true that some people can??

I make three or so loaves at a time, sooooo...

But lemme tell ya, when I first started baking bread a year or so ago I
could snarf down practically a whole loaf fresh outta the oven, needed no
butter or anything, it was great by itself. Now I eat before I bake bread,
and I normally bake bread on Saturdays when I'm busy with other cooking
stuff. When I spend a lot of time cooking I get pretty sick and tired of
food so I don't have much of an appetite...that's my "sekret"!

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Kate Connally said...
>
>> I've heard people complain about having to slice bread themselves
>> because they "can't get the slices nice and even". Well, who
>> cares? I like uneven slices. They have character.

> Kate,
>
> LOLOLOL!!!
>
> Bread with character! LOL!!!
>
> Perhaps!
>
> Maybe not in the French toast world?

Why not? I don't see that it has to be sliced perfectly
for French toast - in fact I make French toast all the time
with my imperfectly sliced bread and it turns out great!
But I guess that if one end is 2 inches thick and the other
end is 1/4 inch thick that might be a cause for concern.
But really, anyone who can't get it closer to even than
that has some serious issues that they need to see a doctor
about. ;-)

> I found a bread "form" that you sit the loaf in and it has slots for the
> knife to slice down into to create even slices as needed.
> http://tinyurl.com/b77eol

Well, if that's what you need, go for it.

> I guess all that's left is to commit to a bread machine. I'm a whole wheat
> whole grain BUM!!! but other breads are by no means out of the question.

I can't really see the need for a bread machine, except in the case
of people who don't have any time at all to bake (workaholics, etc.)
and want to bake bread while they get their 3 hours per night of sleep.
Or someone who is physically handicapped. But making bread the
old-fashioned way is not hard. In fact, it's a very satisfying
hands-on experience. I'll just never understand the bread-machine
thing at all.

> Speaking of French toast, "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives" yesterday showcased a
> diner that made Capt'n Crunch French toast. After soaking in egg batter the
> bread was dropped into a pan of crushed Capt'n Crunch cereal liberally
> coated on both sides then cooked as usual. The customers raved about it. A
> definite blood glucose spike if you ask me!

I guess that would be good if you liked Capt'n Crunch. I'm not
much into that sort of thing so I think I'd pass on that. It would
take away from the maple syrup I always put on FT. But maybe if
you used Log Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth or something like that it
wouldn't matter. I don't want anything compromising my pure
maple syrup.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 10:59*am, Andy > wrote:
> Kate Connally said...
>
> > I've heard people complain about having to slice bread themselves
> > because they "can't get the slices nice and even". *Well, who
> > cares? *I like uneven slices. *They have character.

> Kate,
>
> LOLOLOL!!!
>
> Bread with character! LOL!!!
>
> Perhaps!
>
> Maybe not in the French toast world?
>
> I found a bread "form" that you sit the loaf in and it has slots for the
> knife to slice down into to create even slices as needed.http://tinyurl.com/b77eol
>
> I guess all that's left is to commit to a bread machine. I'm a whole wheat
> whole grain BUM!!! but other breads are by no means out of the question.
>
> Speaking of French toast, "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives" yesterday showcased a
> diner that made Capt'n Crunch French toast. After soaking in egg batter the
> bread was dropped into a pan of crushed Capt'n Crunch cereal liberally
> coated on both sides then cooked as usual. The customers raved about it. A
> definite blood glucose spike if you ask me!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I am a bread machine bum. Only make whole wheat, follow the recipe on
the King Arthur whole wheat flour bag, use honey as the sugar source.
It's spectacularly good.

I slice manually, sans guide, with the loaf turned on its side. Don't
know why it helps make slices more uniform, but it does.

Before investing in an ABM, have you tried making the batter in a
Kitchen Aid stand mixer? They come with a dough hook for a reason.
The investment is about the same and if you don't have one, it can be
used for many things, unlike an ABM.

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sueb said...

> Before investing in an ABM, have you tried making the batter in a
> Kitchen Aid stand mixer? They come with a dough hook for a reason.
> The investment is about the same and if you don't have one, it can be
> used for many things, unlike an ABM.
>
> Susan B.

Susan B.,

I have a KA mixer but after failing focaccia three times I was considering
the ABM.

It's worth another try.

Thanks for the tip about the King Arthur flour whole wheat bread recipe.
I'm OK with the honey substitute. Is it a 1:1 sub for sugar?

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 2:28*pm, Andy > wrote:
> sueb said...
>
> > Before investing in an ABM, have you tried making the batter in a
> > Kitchen Aid stand mixer? *They come with a dough hook for a reason.
> > The investment is about the same and if you don't have one, it can be
> > used for many things, unlike an ABM.

> > Susan B.

> Susan B.,
>
> I have a KA mixer but after failing focaccia three times I was considering
> the ABM.
>
> It's worth another try.
>
> Thanks for the tip about the King Arthur flour whole wheat bread recipe.
> I'm OK with the honey substitute. Is it a 1:1 sub for sugar?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

As usual I wasn't clear. The recipe calls for using honey, molasses,
or maple sugar. I use honey.

The bread is really good. My sister stayed with me over the holidays
and she's a dyed in the wool "I only want a cup of coffee for
breakfast" kind of gal. I started catching her sneeking into the
kitchen to make toast. And she didn't offer to make me a piece!

Susan B.