Sourdough (rec.food.sourdough) Discussing the hobby or craft of baking with sourdough. We are not just a recipe group, Our charter is to discuss the care, feeding, and breeding of yeasts and lactobacilli that make up sourdough cultures.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-11-2014, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
Default Baking in bread machine

Hello Everyone, it's been a long time since I was here!

Now even older, I've developed one unbendable finger on my left hand and in January shall have surgery to release the nerves in my carpal tunnel in my right hand. Then I'll have to have similar surgery on my left hand.

While this painful condition has been developing I haven't been able to knead or stretch dough. Making dough in the mixer has relieved me of some of the work but not all and I still can't stretch and shape the loaves.

Some years ago I won a breadmaking machine, it was fun as a novelty for a time but I soon went back to hand making. Since my hands became crippled I got it down and used it once to make a conventional loaf - which wasn't bad but I wouldn't want to eat it every day. On the second use the machine died, its drive belt was so old that it crumbled and an integral cord had reamed a deep groove into a trunion on its previous use.

Spouse rang the maker and was told that no spares were available for this obsolete model but they were prepared to sell us a brand new all singing etc.. machine for a third of its retail price so he agreed.

It hasn't arrived yet but I expect it any day. In the meantime I've developed a very healthy, fragrant starter which is burping and smiling, just asking to be used.

Shall I be able to use it in a dough in the breadmaker? Has anyone any experience of this? If so,please will you give me tips?

After seventy years of breadmaking I don't want to have to buy commercial loaves - although last week we thoroughly enjoyed a sourdough loaf from a high end supermarket and it would be more than acceptable - although very expensive for a couple of state pensioners!

So, help and/or advice please.

And it's nice to be back and see some familiar names, especially Dick Adams'!

Mary

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,053
Default Baking in bread machine

On 12/11/2014 9:34 AM, Mary Fisher wrote:
Hello Everyone, it's been a long time since I was here!

Now even older, I've developed one unbendable finger on my left hand and in January shall have surgery to release the nerves in my carpal tunnel in my right hand. Then I'll have to have similar surgery on my left hand.

While this painful condition has been developing I haven't been able to knead or stretch dough. Making dough in the mixer has relieved me of some of the work but not all and I still can't stretch and shape the loaves.

Some years ago I won a breadmaking machine, it was fun as a novelty for a time but I soon went back to hand making. Since my hands became crippled I got it down and used it once to make a conventional loaf - which wasn't bad but I wouldn't want to eat it every day. On the second use the machine died, its drive belt was so old that it crumbled and an integral cord had reamed a deep groove into a trunion on its previous use.

Spouse rang the maker and was told that no spares were available for this obsolete model but they were prepared to sell us a brand new all singing etc. machine for a third of its retail price so he agreed.

It hasn't arrived yet but I expect it any day. In the meantime I've developed a very healthy, fragrant starter which is burping and smiling, just asking to be used.

Shall I be able to use it in a dough in the breadmaker? Has anyone any experience of this? If so,please will you give me tips?

After seventy years of breadmaking I don't want to have to buy commercial loaves - although last week we thoroughly enjoyed a sourdough loaf from a high end supermarket and it would be more than acceptable - although very expensive for a couple of state pensioners!

So, help and/or advice please.

And it's nice to be back and see some familiar names, especially Dick Adams'!

Mary

Welcome back Mary!
I don't have a bread machine and have never used one. However, from
comments on the bread group, I would imagine that a BM wouldn't be able
to cope with the relatively long rise times associated with sourdough.

You might be able to compromise by using your starter to make a poolish
(all the water and half of the flour) and leave it overnight. Then tip
it in the machine with the remaining flour, the salt *and* some instant
yeast and let the machine do its thing. That way you'll get a more
complex flavour.
Please note, I have no idea whether this would work but I think it's
worth trying.
Graham
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1
Default Baking in bread machine

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Hello Everyone, it's been a long time since I was here!

Now even older, I've developed one unbendable finger on my left hand and in
January shall have surgery to release the nerves in my carpal tunnel in my
right hand. Then I'll have to have similar surgery on my left hand.

While this painful condition has been developing I haven't been able to knead
or stretch dough. Making dough in the mixer has relieved me of some of the
work but not all and I still can't stretch and shape the loaves.

Some years ago I won a breadmaking machine, it was fun as a novelty for a
time but I soon went back to hand making. Since my hands became crippled I
got it down and used it once to make a conventional loaf - which wasn't bad
but I wouldn't want to eat it every day. On the second use the machine died,
its drive belt was so old that it crumbled and an integral cord had reamed a
deep groove into a trunion on its previous use.

Spouse rang the maker and was told that no spares were available for this
obsolete model but they were prepared to sell us a brand new all singing etc.
machine for a third of its retail price so he agreed.

It hasn't arrived yet but I expect it any day. In the meantime I've developed
a very healthy, fragrant starter which is burping and smiling, just asking to
be used.

Shall I be able to use it in a dough in the breadmaker? Has anyone any
experience of this? If so,please will you give me tips?

After seventy years of breadmaking I don't want to have to buy commercial
loaves - although last week we thoroughly enjoyed a sourdough loaf from a
high end supermarket and it would be more than acceptable - although very
expensive for a couple of state pensioners!

So, help and/or advice please.

And it's nice to be back and see some familiar names, especially Dick Adams'!

Mary


About the best you can do is to let the breadmaker do the kneading, then
dump it out and treat the dough as you normally would if you had kneaded
it yourself. The breadmakers (with the possible exception of the
Zojurushi, which is programable) don't allow long enough rise times,
unless you add some yeast. And they don't slash the bread for you, which
means that the bread tends to explode wherever it chooses to when it
expands from oven spring.

On an encouraging note, I can say that I had carpal tunnel surgery at
about age 75 and it completely relieved the pain I was having, with no
negative side effects whatsoever. A little inconvenience for a few
weeks, learning to do everything with my left hand, but after that the
hand was as good as new. Good luck with your surgery.
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-11-2014, 03:51 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 220
Default Baking in bread machine

Hi, read of your dilemma and it reminded me of when I first started baking bread, I got a bread machine and hated the results, so for a while i tried using it just to knead bread dough, then I learned of the "no knead" technique from all the great regulars here. Now I can't even remember what happened to the old machine, I think I traded it for a bread knife. There are tons of articles online or in the archives concerning no knead, for the most part you only end up having to do a little shaping if you can handle that. Whatever you end up doing, good luck and hope you recover well!
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-11-2014, 05:49 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
Default Baking in bread machine

Hi all,

I was a regular here some years ago too. Enjoyed the interactions with dusty and hutch and the other regular posters back in 05-07. I am still baking loaves, lost my starter a few times, etc.

I am interested in getting/making a wood fired masonry oven. One that is somewhat portable would be best, or at least that can be moved. Any suggestions?

all the best

Dan


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-11-2014, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,639
Default Baking in bread machine

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 20:49:06 -0800 (PST), dan w
wrote:

Hi all,

I was a regular here some years ago too. Enjoyed the interactions with dusty and hutch and the other regular posters back in 05-07. I am still baking loaves, lost my starter a few times, etc.

I am interested in getting/making a wood fired masonry oven. One that is somewhat portable would be best, or at least that can be moved. Any suggestions?

all the best

Dan



If you are a capable DIY person, by all means, build it. There are
many web pages devoted to just the task. The Fresh Loaf has many such
projects mentioned.

If you are comfortable paying for a ready made unit, there are a a lot
of great companies out there who offer them and some are cart-ready
and moveable.

http://www.fornobravo.com/

http://www.losangelesovenworks.com/
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-11-2014, 05:39 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 220
Default Baking in bread machine

Wow I love the pic with the guy in the snow putting something in his masonry oven at http://www.fornobravo.com/ . One of these days....
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-11-2014, 07:20 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 220
Default Baking in bread machine

Dan got me thinking about baking outside again so I did a quick Google and came across this video of someone baking bread in a big green "egg", which actually looks more like someone putting a hunk of drywall paste in a big green golf ball. I guess it doesn't even need any final proofing. I wonder why they don't show the finished product? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hllWPccBAJw
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-11-2014, 08:09 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Default Baking in bread machine

In article ,
hutchndi wrote:
Dan got me thinking about baking outside again so I did a quick Google and came across this video of someone
baking bread in a big green "egg", which actually looks more like someone putting a hunk of drywall paste in
a big green golf ball. I guess it doesn't even need any final proofing. I wonder why they don't show the
finished product? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hllWPccBAJw


What the ....

He kneaded it to death, then put it in at 150C... That's going to be
one heavy dude when it comes out! (Although the temp is the temp of
the lid which holds the heat, so it will be hotter once he puts the lid down.

I have a Kamado Joe cooker - "Kamado" is the generic name of those
Japanese charcoal ovens and there are several makes. I've made bread in
mine, but it tends to scorch the base if I'm not carefull - even with
2 pizza stones in there.

Not my best, but:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/bread2.jpg

Made a bunch of pizzas in it this summer too - that was good fun.

This guys doing it in the snow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAkeI9zH6-k

Makes me want to do more outside now - if only I didn't live in a
place where it rains for 3/4 of the year )-:

Gordon


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...? Andy[_15_] General Cooking 28 11-02-2009 01:16 AM
All you bread machine baking BUMS!!!...? [email protected] General Cooking 3 08-02-2009 03:02 AM
Sour Cream And Chive Bread [Bread Machine] No Name Recipes (moderated) 0 04-02-2008 12:46 AM
Sourdough bread and the bread machine dough cycle Russell Fletcher Sourdough 12 03-01-2007 09:04 PM
My Disgustingly Healthful Homemade Bread Machine (ABM) Bread Mix Anne Mitchell Young General Cooking 10 15-06-2006 01:40 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017