Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Disgustingly Healthful Homemade Bread Machine (ABM) Bread Mix

I just posted this over at my raw food site (which just goes to show
how non-militant a raw food site it is :-) ):

Annie's Disgustingly Healthful Homemade Bread Machine Bread Mix

(Makes enough for several loaves)

5 pounds bread flour
5 pounds whole wheat flour <b>minus 4 cups of the whole wheat flour</b>
3 cups oat flour
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup walnut meal
2 cups date sugar
1 cup powdered milk
6 Tablespoons powdered egg replacer

Mix all ingredients really well (we put it in the bottom of a big
container and then use a hand-held electric mixer on it!)

To make bread, put in your bread machine:

3 1/2 cups bread mix
1 1/3 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 teaspoons (or 1 envelope) yeast

You can also add 1-2 Tablespoons of oil to this, although we don't.

Bake in bread machine <b>using the whole wheat or whole grain</b> setting.

or it will not rise properly</b>

--
I am: Mom, Attorney, Professor, and - yes - *that* She Devil
Personal: http://www.MangeMerde.com | Fathers Rights:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anne Mitchell Young wrote:
> I just posted this over at my raw food site (which just goes to show how
> non-militant a raw food site it is :-) ):
>

> Annie's Disgustingly Healthful Homemade Bread Machine Bread Mix
>
> (Makes enough for several loaves)
>
> 5 pounds bread flour
> 5 pounds whole wheat flour <b>minus 4 cups of the whole wheat flour</b>
> 3 cups oat flour
> 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
> 1/2 cup walnut meal
> 2 cups date sugar
> 1 cup powdered milk
> 6 Tablespoons powdered egg replacer
>
> Mix all ingredients really well (we put it in the bottom of a big
> container and then use a hand-held electric mixer on it!)
>
> To make bread, put in your bread machine:
>
> 3 1/2 cups bread mix
> 1 1/3 cup lukewarm water
> 1 1/2 teaspoons (or 1 envelope) yeast
>
> You can also add 1-2 Tablespoons of oil to this, although we don't.
>
> Bake in bread machine <b>using the whole wheat or whole grain</b> setting.

> it will not rise properly</b>

What makes this "healful" given that it has a bunch of sugar, and is
only 50 percent whole wheat? I can buy healthier bread than that at the
grocery store.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anne Mitchell Young" <shedevil @ aloss.net> wrote in message
>I just posted this over at my raw food site (which just goes to show how
>non-militant a raw food site it is :-) ):
>

> Annie's Disgustingly Healthful Homemade Bread Machine Bread Mix
>
> (Makes enough for several loaves)
>
> 5 pounds bread flour
> 5 pounds whole wheat flour <b>minus 4 cups of the whole wheat flour</b>
> 3 cups oat flour
> 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
> 1/2 cup walnut meal
> 2 cups date sugar
> 1 cup powdered milk
> 6 Tablespoons powdered egg replacer
>
> Mix all ingredients really well (we put it in the bottom of a big
> container and then use a hand-held electric mixer on it!)
>
> To make bread, put in your bread machine:
>
> 3 1/2 cups bread mix
> 1 1/3 cup lukewarm water
> 1 1/2 teaspoons (or 1 envelope) yeast
>
> You can also add 1-2 Tablespoons of oil to this, although we don't.
>
> Bake in bread machine <b>using the whole wheat or whole grain</b> setting.

> it will not rise properly</b>

Sounds very good. I notice there is no salt in the recipe. Is that
correct?
And I'm guessins one finds date sugar and walnut meal in a whole/natural
foods-type store, yes?

Thanks, Annie!
TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-06-13 11:47:16 -0700, "TammyM" > said:

> Sounds very good. I notice there is no salt in the recipe. Is that correct?

Eek! Good catch..thank you! Yes, 2 heaping Tablespoons of salt (I
guess that makes it even less healthful, right? ;-b)

> And I'm guessins one finds date sugar and walnut meal in a whole/natural
> foods-type store, yes?

Yes, or you can just grind up the walnuts yourself.

As for the other guy who posted about "what makes it healthful", yep,
you're right..in fact you could go chew on some raw wheat and that
would be even *more* healthful, arguably. But you have the draw the
line somewhere.

--
I am: Mom, Attorney, Professor, and - yes - *that* She Devil
Personal: http://www.MangeMerde.com | Fathers Rights:
http://www.DadsRights.org
Raw Food: http://www.AdventuresInRawFood.com | The Internet:
http://www.TheInternetPatrol.com
Indignation: http://www.Indignation.org | Irony: http://www.ThatsIronic.com
Parenting: http://www.IntuitiveParenting.org | Everything Else:
http://www.AllAboutAllAbout.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anne Mitchell Young wrote on 13 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> As for the other guy who posted about "what makes it healthful", yep,
> you're right..in fact you could go chew on some raw wheat and that
> would be even *more* healthful, arguably. But you have the draw the
> line somewhere.

Yummm raw wheat... NOT!

--
-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:04:09 -0700, Anne Mitchell Young <shedevil @
aloss.net> wrote:

>On 2006-06-13 11:47:16 -0700, "TammyM" > said:
>
>> Sounds very good. I notice there is no salt in the recipe. Is that correct?

>Eek! Good catch..thank you! Yes, 2 heaping Tablespoons of salt (I
>guess that makes it even less healthful, right? ;-b)
>
>> And I'm guessins one finds date sugar and walnut meal in a whole/natural
>> foods-type store, yes?

>Yes, or you can just grind up the walnuts yourself.
>
>As for the other guy who posted about "what makes it healthful", yep,
>you're right..in fact you could go chew on some raw wheat and that
>would be even *more* healthful, arguably. But you have the draw the
>line somewhere.

I think your recipe sounds great. I once spent nearly 10 minutes
looking for a loaf of bread in my local grocery store that didn't have
hydrogenated fat and/or high fructose corn syrup. I did find **one**
brand (I think it was Milton's?). But at the cost of supermarket
bread, I'll make my own. And I get to enjoy the lovely aroma of bread
baking. Yum!

:-)

TammyM
Sacramento, California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM > wrote:

: <snip> I once spent nearly 10 minutes
: looking for a loaf of bread in my local grocery store that didn't have
: hydrogenated fat and/or high fructose corn syrup. I did find **one**
: brand (I think it was Milton's?). But at the cost of supermarket
: bread, I'll make my own. And I get to enjoy the lovely aroma of bread
: baking. Yum!

I bought a loaf of bread in my local market yesterday with
with total ingredient list: flour, water, salt
[It's a sour dough, so made without added yeast]
It's made with white flour, but given the rest or our diet
we will not be nutritionally deprived.

As to the bread recipe posted: I would be much more interested
in a version that left out all the sugar, substituted rolled oats for
the oat flour and chopped walnuts for the walnut meal.
I do not like sweetness in bread [which makes whole wheat
flour itself a bad choice for me] until it gets so pronounced
that you'd call it coffee cake, and that I like a lot.
--thelma
: :-)

: TammyM
: Sacramento, California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-06-13 22:34:01 -0700, Thelma Lubkin > said:

> As to the bread recipe posted: I would be much more interested
> in a version that left out all the sugar, substituted rolled oats for
> the oat flour and chopped walnuts for the walnut meal.
> I do not like sweetness in bread [which makes whole wheat
> flour itself a bad choice for me] until it gets so pronounced
> that you'd call it coffee cake, and that I like a lot.

I'd always assumed that the yeast needs the sugar; is that not
correct? Date sugar is supposedly a much more healthful sugar than any
of the more processed options, but I get that you are talking about
flavour and taste, not the health "issues" of sugar (gosh, has anything
been *more* dietarily demonized thatn sugar and salt??)

Have any of you tried Manna bread? It's usually in the freezer or
fridge section at the health food store - it's made with all kinds of
sprouted this and raw that..it's pretty tasty, although it's more
muffin-like and sticky in its consistency, and it's short and small so
you can't really make a sandwich with it. But it's tasty sliced up on
its own or topped with nut butters!

--
Raw Food: http://www.AdventuresInRawFood.com | The Internet:
http://www.TheInternetPatrol.com
Indignation: http://www.Indignation.org | Irony: http://www.ThatsIronic.com
Personal: http://www.MangeMerde.com | Fathers Rights:
http://www.DadsRights.org

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I make a lot of French bread, and my recipe for 2 loaves is:

2 cups water
2 tsp. yeast
1.5 tsp. salt
flour to make elastic dough (amount varies, of course!)

Mix in KitchenAid or by hand, let rise until double, shape loaves,
let rise again, and
bake at 375 for about a half hour.

You can add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to the dough, and
then call it Italian
bread if you like!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:On 2006-06-13 22:34:01 -0700, Thelma Lubkin > said:

: I'd always assumed that the yeast needs the sugar; is that not
: correct?

I've seen that argued both ways. But the sugar 'necessary' for
that purpose, even for >10lbs of flour, probably wouldn't be more than
1/2 cup, and that would be enough for me to taste and complain about.
I don't think that an honest French bread [white flour, so no health
claims] is made with sugar. The sourdough I had bought certainly
didn't have any.

: Date sugar is supposedly a much more healthful sugar than any
: of the more processed options

How do they manage to extract the dates' sugar with less
processing than that done for cane? I find that when I bake with
dates that seem quite sweet for eating, they provide a
disappointingly weak sweet bite to whatever I've baked

: Have any of you tried Manna bread? It's usually in the freezer or
: fridge section at the health food store - it's made with all kinds of
: sprouted this and raw that..it's pretty tasty, although it's more
: muffin-like and sticky in its consistency, and it's short and small so
: you can't really make a sandwich with it. But it's tasty sliced up on
: its own or topped with nut butters!

I've tried it; I think that 'bread' is a misnomer. For me
it's cake with an unpleasant off taste.

I eat a lot of raw food, because I like it. I usually have
almonds, cashews, walnuts [I buy pecan halves 12lbs at a time, but
I've been out for a couple of months now], brazil and hazel nuts
in season. I eat just about any fruit except durian.
I enjoy raw tomatoes, carrots, sweet peppers. I wish that I could
get raw pistachios in the shell, but I haven't seen them for a while.
I don't think of raw foods in terms of recipes--I just munch.

--thelma
: --
: Raw Food: http://www.AdventuresInRawFood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>TammyM > wrote:

: <snip> I once spent nearly 10 minutes
>: looking for a loaf of bread in my local grocery store that didn't have
>: hydrogenated fat and/or high fructose corn syrup. I did find **one**
>: brand (I think it was Milton's?). But at the cost of supermarket
>: bread, I'll make my own. And I get to enjoy the lovely aroma of bread
>: baking. Yum!

On 14 Jun 2006 05:34:01 GMT, Thelma Lubkin >
wrote:
> I bought a loaf of bread in my local market yesterday with
> with total ingredient list: flour, water, salt
> [It's a sour dough, so made without added yeast]
> It's made with white flour, but given the rest or our diet
> we will not be nutritionally deprived.

<snip>

Wow! Lucky you! Were that only the case here -- and I admit, it was
only one grocery store in which I looked (Albertsons). Perhaps I
would have fared better in one of the more upmarket stores. But then
again, I am quite enjoying my homemade bread, so why bother?

TammyM

--thelma