Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I ate the whole thing

Not at once, but within 3 days.
..
I have to tell you about a recipe I found on a TV cooking show. I
hate to push a show but Paula Prentiss had a recipe on last year that was so
simple, I did not bother to add it to my recipe file.
I made the dish a three times last year, and really enjoyed it. I was
amazed at how tasty such a simple dish could be. Then I forgot about it.
Last week I caught just the last few minutes of a rerun of that show, and
since I could not locate that recipe in my files, I had to go to the site
and get it.
It is babyback pork short rib, sauerkraut, spud recipe. And it is
sensational (at least to me).
I use my 10 quart cast iron dutch oven.
..
I deeply brown the individual (salt & peppered) ribs in peanut oil, with a
little garlic.
Then with the ribs removed one cooks a sliced onion with some more (mine)
garlic. Cook until translucent. Salt and pepper. Get all the pork goodies
off the bottom of the pan.
Then put in 6 nu potatoes, (I had to use Golden Yukons this time of year),
cut into 1/16's, (4 lengthway wedges each cut into 4's again). I sneak a
hearty dash of cumin on top of the spuds.
Add a 1/2 cup white wine, or stock, or water.
Put the ribs back on top of this.
Place a pound of good sauerkraut on top all this.
One can finish this off on the stovetop but I prefer to put it into a 325 F
preheated oven for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
Sprigs of parsley to garnish.
..
And talk about being economical. If one used a pound and a half of kraut,
you could feed an army (I cheat and use 7 spuds, no problem, and the dish
is not hurt). I once used trimmed pork blade steaks (most economical)
instead of the ribs. I got top results.
Next time I will use 4 pieces of chopped bacon for the cooking oil (for the
ribs), and then add the bacon bits on top of the spuds.
This dish definitely calls for experimentation.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"pintlar" wrote:

Not at once, but within 3 days.
.
[...]

snipped

It sounds very good!
--
Peace! Om

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
-Infantry Journal
Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"pintlar" wrote:

Not at once, but within 3 days.
.
I have to tell you about a recipe I found on a TV cooking show. I
hate to push a show but Paula Prentiss had a recipe on last year that was so
simple, I did not bother to add it to my recipe file.
I made the dish a three times last year, and really enjoyed it. I was
amazed at how tasty such a simple dish could be. Then I forgot about it.
Last week I caught just the last few minutes of a rerun of that show, and
since I could not locate that recipe in my files, I had to go to the site
and get it.
It is babyback pork short rib, sauerkraut, spud recipe. And it is
sensational (at least to me).
I use my 10 quart cast iron dutch oven.

(snip)
And talk about being economical. If one used a pound and a half of kraut,
you could feed an army (I cheat and use 7 spuds, no problem, and the dish
is not hurt). I once used trimmed pork blade steaks (most economical)
instead of the ribs. I got top results.
Next time I will use 4 pieces of chopped bacon for the cooking oil (for the
ribs), and then add the bacon bits on top of the spuds.
This dish definitely calls for experimentation.

Sounds pretty good to me, too. Kraut and ribs. If you're thinking of
experimenting, know that tomato flavor is nice with kraut. Pour an
8-ounce can of plain tomato sauce on top of half the kraut in your pan.
If you can cook it the rest of the way without stirring, you'll have an
idea of whether or not you like the addition of the tomato flavor.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Old 03-02-2009, 07:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

snip
Sounds pretty good to me, too. Kraut and ribs. If you're thinking of
experimenting, know that tomato flavor is nice with kraut. Pour an
8-ounce can of plain tomato sauce on top of half the kraut in your pan.
If you can cook it the rest of the way without stirring, you'll have an
idea of whether or not you like the addition of the tomato flavor.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
-- a woman my age shouldn't
have this much fun!

**********************
I was thinking the same about the tomatoe sauce thing. I have no doubts that
would be a great change.
Also, some of those beans with the same name as our ex Pres, either on the
side or in the pot. As it stands now, the recipe is not flatulant (sp?) for
some reason. I bet beans would change that.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 1:16*pm, "pintlar" wrote:
"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

... In article ,
[...]

Paula Prentiss? The sometime movie star? Did you mean Paula Deen?
(probably not, I can't imagine she's a sauerkraut person....)

N.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"pintlar" wrote:

[...]

Are you referring to Bush's baked beans? I wouldn't have those with
kraut and ribs. No, thanks. I might also skip the spuds and make
halushky, instead.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

snip
Paula Prentiss? The sometime movie star? Did you mean Paula Deen?
(probably not, I can't imagine she's a sauerkraut person....)

N.
My bad... you are correct...Paula Deen...das ist it.

OT/IT'S A MAN THING ChairMan[_5_] Barbecue 1 04-07-2013 04:46 PM
OT/ IT'S A MAN THING ChairMan[_3_] Barbecue 2 05-07-2012 07:37 PM
Is there such a thing as a... jt august[_3_] Cooking Equipment 0 20-09-2009 07:13 PM
One Thing Omelet General Cooking 0 02-01-2007 03:52 PM
OT/ Its A Man Thing ChairMan Barbecue 2 03-07-2005 03:13 PM