Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sandra Lee's PBJ Martini

OMG. I just wandered through afternoon TV channels and came across the
end of S.L's show. She was making PB&J "Martinis". Umm, yeah. Ugh.

Raspberry vodka
Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
red grape juice
and a canned peach slice in each glass.

For kitchen decor and "tablescape" it was a pink-and-green day.

How can people watch this stuff

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 3:37*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> OMG. *I just wandered through afternoon TV channels and came across the
> end of S.L's show. *She was making PB&J "Martinis". *Umm, yeah. *Ugh.
>
> Raspberry vodka
> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
> red grape juice
> and a canned peach slice in each glass.
>
> For kitchen decor and "tablescape" it was a pink-and-green day.
>
> How can people watch this stuff
>
> gloria p

Why Gloria! It's one of the best comedy shows on tv these days!
Sandra really is a twit, no doubt about it, certifiable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-01-12, Gloria P > wrote:

> Raspberry vodka
> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
> red grape juice
> and a canned peach slice in each glass.

> How can people watch this stuff

The whole "martini" thing has spiraled way out of control. It's only a
matter of time before someone just craps in a cone shaped glass, pours
whiskey over it, and calls it a Howdy-Doody martini.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 3:55*pm, notbob > wrote:

> The whole "martini" thing has spiraled way out of control. *It's only a
> matter of time before someone just craps in a cone shaped glass, pours
> whiskey over it, and calls it a Howdy-Doody martini.
>
> nb

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Go to your room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> OMG. I just wandered through afternoon TV channels and came across the
> end of S.L's show. She was making PB&J "Martinis". Umm, yeah. Ugh.
>
> Raspberry vodka
> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
> red grape juice
> and a canned peach slice in each glass.
>
> For kitchen decor and "tablescape" it was a pink-and-green day.
>
> How can people watch this stuff
>
> gloria p

I understand 6 Russians watching the show have slit their wrists.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2009-01-12, Gloria P > wrote:
>
>> Raspberry vodka
>> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
>> red grape juice
>> and a canned peach slice in each glass.

>> How can people watch this stuff

> The whole "martini" thing has spiraled way out of control. It's only
> a matter of time before someone just craps in a cone shaped glass,
> pours whiskey over it, and calls it a Howdy-Doody martini.
>
> nb

I think that would be The Aristocrats Martini.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-01-12, Janet > wrote:

> I think that would be The Aristocrats Martini.

yeah yeah....

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> OMG. I just wandered through afternoon TV channels and came across the
> end of S.L's show. She was making PB&J "Martinis". Umm, yeah. Ugh.
>
> Raspberry vodka
> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
> red grape juice
> and a canned peach slice in each glass.
>
> For kitchen decor and "tablescape" it was a pink-and-green day.
>
> How can people watch this stuff
>
> gloria p

ahahaha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> OMG. I just wandered through afternoon TV channels and came across the
> end of S.L's show. She was making PB&J "Martinis". Umm, yeah. Ugh.
>
> Raspberry vodka
> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
> red grape juice
> and a canned peach slice in each glass.
>
> For kitchen decor and "tablescape" it was a pink-and-green day.
>
> How can people watch this stuff

Sandra Lee has become to cooks what Wal Mart became to shoppers. I simply
cannot watch her show or her positively hideous recipes.

That said I am a purist when it come to the martini. A martini is made with
gin and dry vermouth. Sometimes vodka replaces the gin which is acceptable.
That's it. Anything else is NOT a martini. A martini has NO mixers, and
even if it is just garnished with something other than an olive it is not
called a martini. I don't even care if it tastes good. It is not a
martini.

If you want a perfect martini here is how to do it

fill a tumbler to the top with whole ice, NOT crushed (the ice must be from
filtered water)
pour in 1 ounce of dry white vermouth being sure to slosh it over the ice
pour out the vermouth
pour in 4 ounces of your best dry gin which has been pre-chilled
stir with a non-metallic spoon, do not shake - James Bond was wrong
immediately pour into 2 large martini glasses
add 2 green olives - pimento optional

That is a perfect dry martini.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 Jan 2009 02:37:32p, Gloria P told us...

> OMG. I just wandered through afternoon TV channels and came across the
> end of S.L's show. She was making PB&J "Martinis". Umm, yeah. Ugh.
>
> Raspberry vodka
> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
> red grape juice
> and a canned peach slice in each glass.
>
> For kitchen decor and "tablescape" it was a pink-and-green day.
>
> How can people watch this stuff
>
> gloria p

Gross! But then, most of her "creations" are.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
6dys 5hrs 46mins
Never go up against a Sicilian when death's on the line!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> If you want a perfect martini here is how to do it
>
> fill a tumbler to the top with whole ice, NOT crushed (the ice must be from
> filtered water)
> pour in 1 ounce of dry white vermouth being sure to slosh it over the ice
> pour out the vermouth
> pour in 4 ounces of your best dry gin which has been pre-chilled
> stir with a non-metallic spoon, do not shake - James Bond was wrong
> immediately pour into 2 large martini glasses
> add 2 green olives - pimento optional
>
> That is a perfect dry martini.

Thanks, but I'd rather have gin & tonic.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 Jan 2009 06:02:57p, Paul M. Cook told us...

> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>> OMG. I just wandered through afternoon TV channels and came across the
>> end of S.L's show. She was making PB&J "Martinis". Umm, yeah. Ugh.
>>
>> Raspberry vodka
>> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
>> red grape juice
>> and a canned peach slice in each glass.
>>
>> For kitchen decor and "tablescape" it was a pink-and-green day.
>>
>> How can people watch this stuff

> Sandra Lee has become to cooks what Wal Mart became to shoppers. I
> simply cannot watch her show or her positively hideous recipes.
>
> That said I am a purist when it come to the martini. A martini is made
> with gin and dry vermouth. Sometimes vodka replaces the gin which is
> acceptable. That's it. Anything else is NOT a martini. A martini has
> NO mixers, and even if it is just garnished with something other than
> an olive it is not called a martini. I don't even care if it tastes
> good. It is not a martini.
>
> If you want a perfect martini here is how to do it
>
> fill a tumbler to the top with whole ice, NOT crushed (the ice must be
> from filtered water)
> pour in 1 ounce of dry white vermouth being sure to slosh it over the
> ice pour out the vermouth
> pour in 4 ounces of your best dry gin which has been pre-chilled
> stir with a non-metallic spoon, do not shake - James Bond was wrong
> immediately pour into 2 large martini glasses
> add 2 green olives - pimento optional
>
> That is a perfect dry martini.
>
> Paul

Paul, I know what you mean, although I prefer a 5:1 ratio. However the
recipe for a true "Perfect Martini" by that name contains equal amounts of
both dry and sweet vermouth. This was a classic at one time.

Perfect Martini

2 oz gin
1/2 oz dry vermouth
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
green olives or lemon twist for garnish

Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice cubes.
Stir well.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with the olive or lemon twist.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
6dys 4hrs 45mins
Look out, you're gonna craaash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 Jan 2009 07:07:27p, Gloria P told us...

> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> If you want a perfect martini here is how to do it
>>
>> fill a tumbler to the top with whole ice, NOT crushed (the ice must be
>> from filtered water)
>> pour in 1 ounce of dry white vermouth being sure to slosh it over the
>> ice pour out the vermouth
>> pour in 4 ounces of your best dry gin which has been pre-chilled
>> stir with a non-metallic spoon, do not shake - James Bond was wrong
>> immediately pour into 2 large martini glasses
>> add 2 green olives - pimento optional
>>
>> That is a perfect dry martini.
>>

> Thanks, but I'd rather have gin & tonic.
>
> gloria p

I like both, but rarely have either. I now reserve a martini or two for a
celebratory dinner. I have to admit that a good gin & tonic with a wedge
of lime is really refreshing in the heat of the summer.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
6dys 4hrs 42mins
Nothing quite like the feel of something new...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Mon 12 Jan 2009 06:02:57p, Paul M. Cook told us...
>

>> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>>> OMG. I just wandered through afternoon TV channels and came across the
>>> end of S.L's show. She was making PB&J "Martinis". Umm, yeah. Ugh.
>>>
>>> Raspberry vodka
>>> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
>>> red grape juice
>>> and a canned peach slice in each glass.
>>>
>>> For kitchen decor and "tablescape" it was a pink-and-green day.
>>>
>>> How can people watch this stuff

>> Sandra Lee has become to cooks what Wal Mart became to shoppers. I
>> simply cannot watch her show or her positively hideous recipes.
>>
>> That said I am a purist when it come to the martini. A martini is made
>> with gin and dry vermouth. Sometimes vodka replaces the gin which is
>> acceptable. That's it. Anything else is NOT a martini. A martini has
>> NO mixers, and even if it is just garnished with something other than
>> an olive it is not called a martini. I don't even care if it tastes
>> good. It is not a martini.
>>
>> If you want a perfect martini here is how to do it
>>
>> fill a tumbler to the top with whole ice, NOT crushed (the ice must be
>> from filtered water)
>> pour in 1 ounce of dry white vermouth being sure to slosh it over the
>> ice pour out the vermouth
>> pour in 4 ounces of your best dry gin which has been pre-chilled
>> stir with a non-metallic spoon, do not shake - James Bond was wrong
>> immediately pour into 2 large martini glasses
>> add 2 green olives - pimento optional
>>
>> That is a perfect dry martini.
>>
>> Paul

> Paul, I know what you mean, although I prefer a 5:1 ratio. However the
> recipe for a true "Perfect Martini" by that name contains equal amounts of
> both dry and sweet vermouth. This was a classic at one time.

OK, Wayne. Put on the gloves, step outside. Let's settle this now before
it gets into a fully protracted war.

My recipe actually is heavy on the vermouth. The truest dry martini is when
you pour the gin into the glass and whisper "vermouth" into it. The
alternate method is to show the bottle to the glass before serving.

Paul

> Perfect(ly awful) Martini
>
> 2 oz gin
> 1/2 oz dry vermouth
> 1/2 oz sweet vermouth
> green olives or lemon twist for garnish
>
> Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice cubes.
> Stir well.

Blech. Sweet vermouth in a martini? Add some bourbon and just call it a
manhattan. Yuck.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 12 Jan 2009 06:02:57p, Paul M. Cook told us...
>
>> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>>> OMG. I just wandered through afternoon TV channels and came across the
>>> end of S.L's show. She was making PB&J "Martinis". Umm, yeah. Ugh.
>>>
>>> Raspberry vodka
>>> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
>>> red grape juice
>>> and a canned peach slice in each glass.
>>>
>>> For kitchen decor and "tablescape" it was a pink-and-green day.
>>>
>>> How can people watch this stuff

>> Sandra Lee has become to cooks what Wal Mart became to shoppers. I
>> simply cannot watch her show or her positively hideous recipes.
>>
>> That said I am a purist when it come to the martini. A martini is made
>> with gin and dry vermouth. Sometimes vodka replaces the gin which is
>> acceptable. That's it. Anything else is NOT a martini. A martini has
>> NO mixers, and even if it is just garnished with something other than
>> an olive it is not called a martini. I don't even care if it tastes
>> good. It is not a martini.
>>
>> If you want a perfect martini here is how to do it
>>
>> fill a tumbler to the top with whole ice, NOT crushed (the ice must be
>> from filtered water)
>> pour in 1 ounce of dry white vermouth being sure to slosh it over the
>> ice pour out the vermouth
>> pour in 4 ounces of your best dry gin which has been pre-chilled
>> stir with a non-metallic spoon, do not shake - James Bond was wrong
>> immediately pour into 2 large martini glasses
>> add 2 green olives - pimento optional
>>
>> That is a perfect dry martini.
>>
>> Paul

> Paul, I know what you mean, although I prefer a 5:1 ratio. However the
> recipe for a true "Perfect Martini" by that name contains equal amounts of
> both dry and sweet vermouth. This was a classic at one time.
>
> Perfect Martini
>
> 2 oz gin
> 1/2 oz dry vermouth
> 1/2 oz sweet vermouth
> green olives or lemon twist for garnish
>
> Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice cubes.
> Stir well.
> Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
> Garnish with the olive or lemon twist.

That's the only martini that I've tried that I actually like (but I mix
it 4:1:1 or 5:1:1 instead of 2:1/2:1/2). Use good gin, but not great
gin. (Booth's or Seagram's is about right)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>> On 2009-01-12, Gloria P > wrote:
>>
>>> Raspberry vodka
>>> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
>>> red grape juice
>>> and a canned peach slice in each glass.
>>> How can people watch this stuff

>> The whole "martini" thing has spiraled way out of control. It's only
>> a matter of time before someone just craps in a cone shaped glass,
>> pours whiskey over it, and calls it a Howdy-Doody martini.
>>
>> nb

> I think that would be The Aristocrats Martini.

Whoosh! (over most people's head, I think) ;-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 Jan 2009 07:52:16p, Gloria P told us...

> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:33:13 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Blech. Sweet vermouth in a martini? Add some bourbon and just call
>>> it a manhattan. Yuck.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Hmm... I really have to try a martini some day...just to at least say
>> I have tried them.
>>
>> Same for a Manhattan. And an old fashioned.
>>
>> Christine, who is more into wine than cocktails (except for sidecars
>> and Delilahs, and Kay's Margaritas).

> Old Fashioneds are yummy, but it's been nearly 20 years since I ordered
> one without the bartender asking what it was.
>
> Whiskey Sours were tremendously popular in my college days. I spent a
> summer in the Caribbean where we drank Cuba Libres (rum&Coke) and
> daiquiris. A few years later I went back and the Pina Colada was all
> the rage. Today when we go out with friends it seems to be artisan beer
> and expensive wines with the occasional caipirinha or mojito. Tastes
> change.
>
> gloria p

I used to love Manhattans but the bartender would invariably make me a dry
Manhattan if I didn't specify a sweet Manhattan. I actually prefer a
scotch Manhattan aka Roy Roy. Also like Moscow Mules (voka, ginger beer,
and lime). Tastes do change. I don't know if I'd like any of those now.
I'm not overly fond of wine.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
6dys 3hrs 17mins
Do not judge other people -- just snicker at them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 Jan 2009 07:53:18p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 02:49:51 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>If you haven't ever had a martini or a manhattan, make sure you're

sitting
>>down. <g> Old Fashions aren't quite as potent.

> And start with a full tummy?
>
> Christine

Bake some good bread and have it with an ample spread of butter.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
6dys 3hrs 12mins
If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 Jan 2009 08:16:36p, zxcvbob told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Sandra Lee has become to cooks what Wal Mart became to shoppers. I
>>> simply cannot watch her show or her positively hideous recipes.
>>>
>>> That said I am a purist when it come to the martini. A martini is
>>> made with gin and dry vermouth. Sometimes vodka replaces the gin
>>> which is acceptable. That's it. Anything else is NOT a martini. A
>>> martini has NO mixers, and even if it is just garnished with
>>> something other than an olive it is not called a martini. I don't
>>> even care if it tastes good. It is not a martini.
>>>
>>> If you want a perfect martini here is how to do it
>>>
>>> fill a tumbler to the top with whole ice, NOT crushed (the ice must be
>>> from filtered water)
>>> pour in 1 ounce of dry white vermouth being sure to slosh it over the
>>> ice pour out the vermouth
>>> pour in 4 ounces of your best dry gin which has been pre-chilled
>>> stir with a non-metallic spoon, do not shake - James Bond was wrong
>>> immediately pour into 2 large martini glasses
>>> add 2 green olives - pimento optional
>>>
>>> That is a perfect dry martini.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> Paul, I know what you mean, although I prefer a 5:1 ratio. However the
>> recipe for a true "Perfect Martini" by that name contains equal amounts
>> of both dry and sweet vermouth. This was a classic at one time.
>>
>> Perfect Martini
>>
>> 2 oz gin
>> 1/2 oz dry vermouth
>> 1/2 oz sweet vermouth
>> green olives or lemon twist for garnish
>>
>> Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice cubes.
>> Stir well.
>> Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
>> Garnish with the olive or lemon twist.
>>

> That's the only martini that I've tried that I actually like (but I mix
> it 4:1:1 or 5:1:1 instead of 2:1/2:1/2). Use good gin, but not great
> gin. (Booth's or Seagram's is about right)
>
> Bob

They used to be immensely popular, but bartender's are usually clueless
now.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
6dys 3hrs 11mins
The things that we fear are a weapon to be used against us

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 8:47*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Mon 12 Jan 2009 07:52:16p, Gloria P told us...

> > Old Fashioneds are yummy, but it's been nearly 20 years since I ordered
> > one without the bartender asking what it was.

> > Whiskey Sours were tremendously popular in my college days. *I spent a
> > summer in the Caribbean where we drank Cuba Libres (rum&Coke) and
> > daiquiris. *A few years later I went back and the Pina Colada was all
> > the rage. *Today when we go out with friends it seems to be artisan beer
> > and expensive wines with the occasional caipirinha or mojito. *Tastes
> > change.

> > gloria p

> I used to love Manhattans but the bartender would invariably make me a dry
> Manhattan if I didn't specify a sweet Manhattan. *I actually prefer a
> scotch Manhattan aka Roy Roy. *Also like Moscow Mules (voka, ginger beer,
> and lime). *Tastes do change. *I don't know if I'd like any of those now. *
> I'm not overly fond of wine.

I just saw this article in the NYT, actually an opinion piece:
http://proof.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...nquire-within/

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 Jan 2009 01:44:26a, told us...

http://proof.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...shioned-inquir
> e-within/
>
> Christine

Interesting rad, Christine. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
5dys 15hrs 41mins
My phone number is seventeen. I got one of the early ones. --George
Carlin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 02:49:51 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>If you haven't ever had a martini or a manhattan, make sure you're sitting
>>down. <g> Old Fashions aren't quite as potent.

> And start with a full tummy?

And have a designated driver!

TammyM, far too experienced in these matters....

> Christine
> --
> http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 9:33*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> My recipe actually is heavy on the vermouth. *The truest dry martini is when
> you pour the gin into the glass and whisper "vermouth" into it. *The
> alternate method is to show the bottle to the glass before serving.

Good grief! If you want a glass of gin with an olive in it, just have
it.

I don't really have any feelings one way or the other about martinis,
as I
don't care for hard liquor. The more dilute, the better. I like
vodka gimlets
with a bunch of club soda added.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 6:37*pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:33:13 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
> >Blech. *Sweet vermouth in a martini? *Add some bourbon and just call it a
> >manhattan. *Yuck.

> >Paul

> Hmm... I really have to try a *martini some day...just to at least say
> I have tried them. *
>
> Same for a Manhattan. *And an old fashioned. *
>
> Christine, who is more into wine than cocktails (except for sidecars
> and Delilahs, and Kay's Margaritas).
> --http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

I made Kay's Margaritas for the 4th of July- absolutely killer!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:42:48 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

>I made Kay's Margaritas for the 4th of July- absolutely killer!

Aren't they good? And killer is right!! Drink with caution: one can
be flat out with those in no time!!

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
On Jan 12, 9:33 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> My recipe actually is heavy on the vermouth. The truest dry martini is
> when
> you pour the gin into the glass and whisper "vermouth" into it. The
> alternate method is to show the bottle to the glass before serving.

>>Good grief! If you want a glass of gin with an olive in it, just have

it.

It's an inside joke.

>>I don't really have any feelings one way or the other about martinis,

as I don't care for hard liquor. The more dilute, the better. I like
vodka gimlets with a bunch of club soda added.

Gimlets are another favorite of mine. Love them. I don't use club soda
though, just vodka, lime juice and simple syrup.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Jan 12, 9:33 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
>> My recipe actually is heavy on the vermouth. The truest dry martini is
>> when
>> you pour the gin into the glass and whisper "vermouth" into it. The
>> alternate method is to show the bottle to the glass before serving.

>>>Good grief! If you want a glass of gin with an olive in it, just have

> it.
>
> It's an inside joke.

No, Paul, it is an old, tired joke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 Jan 2009 11:11:51p, Paul M. Cook told us...

> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Jan 12, 9:33 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
>> My recipe actually is heavy on the vermouth. The truest dry martini is
>> when
>> you pour the gin into the glass and whisper "vermouth" into it. The
>> alternate method is to show the bottle to the glass before serving.

>>>Good grief! If you want a glass of gin with an olive in it, just have

> it.
>
> It's an inside joke.
>
>>>I don't really have any feelings one way or the other about martinis,

> as I don't care for hard liquor. The more dilute, the better. I like
> vodka gimlets with a bunch of club soda added.
>
> Gimlets are another favorite of mine. Love them. I don't use club soda
> though, just vodka, lime juice and simple syrup.
>
> Paul

I take it you don't use Rose's Lime Juice.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/14(XIV)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
4dys 19hrs
And God said: E = mv - Ze/r . . . and there *WAS* light!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 1:11*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> On Jan 12, 9:33 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
> > My recipe actually is heavy on the vermouth. The truest dry martini is
> > when
> > you pour the gin into the glass and whisper "vermouth" into it. The
> > alternate method is to show the bottle to the glass before serving.
> >>Good grief! *If you want a glass of gin with an olive in it, just have

> it.
>
> It's an inside joke.

Ah. Usenet and humor are tricky that way. It's easy to miss that one
is joking.

I recall once we had guests and one of them wanted a martini. I
apologized,
saying I had gin but not vermouth. That was fine by her; I couldn't
help
exclaiming: "Well, if you just wanted a glass of gin, you should have
said so. We're not judgmental here."

> >>I don't really have any feelings one way or the other about martinis,

> as I don't care for hard liquor. *The more dilute, the better. *I like
> vodka gimlets with a bunch of club soda added.
>
> Gimlets are another favorite of mine. *Love them. *I don't use club soda
> though, just vodka, lime juice and simple syrup.

Most people don't use club soda, but if I don't, they're too strong
for me.
(It's not that I get drunk, but too much ethanol just tastes harsh to
me.)
Occasionally I just have Rose's lime juice and club soda.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-01-14, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> Ah. Usenet and humor are tricky that way. It's easy to miss that one
> is joking.

Being a kid of the fifties and no stranger to my parent's occassional
martini cocktail parties, I'd heard all those old jokes by time I was five.
It took the internet to teach me a few new ones. My fave is that Winston
Churchill's idea of a dry martini was 3 jiggers of gin while looking at a
bottle of Vermouth from across the room.

I'm not sure of the bases for the "dry" or "extra dry" martini. Perhaps
some stigma against drinking straight gin left over from prohibition. I
don't mind a good straight gin, but I prefer it with a bit of Vermouth. In
fact, what I REALLY like is Martini & Rossi wht Vermouth on the rocks.
Probably my favorite Summer iced drink.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 3:47*pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:42:48 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:
>

> >I made Kay's Margaritas for the 4th of July- absolutely killer!

> Aren't they good? *And killer is right!! *Drink with caution: one can
> be flat out with those in no time!!
>
> Christine
> --http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

That's what happened to us!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:58:38 -0800, TammyM wrote:

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 02:49:51 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>If you haven't ever had a martini or a manhattan, make sure you're sitting
>>>down. <g> Old Fashions aren't quite as potent.

>> And start with a full tummy?

> And have a designated driver!
>
> TammyM, far too experienced in these matters....

i first read that as 'designated liver.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 14 Jan 2009 11:49:23a, blake murphy told us...

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:58:38 -0800, TammyM wrote:
>
>> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 02:49:51 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> And start with a full tummy?

>> And have a designated driver!
>>
>> TammyM, far too experienced in these matters....
>>

> i first read that as 'designated liver.'
>
> your pal,
> blake

And I first read it as "designated screwdriver".

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/14(XIV)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
4dys 5hrs 15mins
Dust-balls: The cheap man's Tribble

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-01-13, > wrote:

> I just saw this article in the NYT, actually an opinion piece:

http://proof.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...nquire-within/

I was about to give up until I read the line "garnished with a lit Pall
Mall". Boy, that jolted a long dead memory, so I read on. I like his
writing style, but in the end I was wondering if the piece would ever end.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:04:17 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-01-13, > wrote:
>
>> I just saw this article in the NYT, actually an opinion piece:

http://proof.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...nquire-within/

>I was about to give up until I read the line "garnished with a lit Pall
>Mall". Boy, that jolted a long dead memory, so I read on. I like his
>writing style, but in the end I was wondering if the piece would ever end.
>
>nb

He also does a weekly column for Serious Eats, on various cocktails. I
think it is usually on Friday.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

There's something In tequilla....I swear, there is! Something that
makes a tequilla drunk weirder than any other kind. Every time I drink
it, I want to get a tattoo.

Ever hear that song, "Jose' Quervo, You are a Friend of Mine"? Somebody
asked me if I had heard it and I said, "man...I THINK I mighta WROTE
it."

whew. BAD, dangerous stuff.

Rum may also have some kind of demon in it.

When I lived on St. Croix, the local rum, "Cruzan" cost 99 for a fifth.
I wrote this song for it and sent it to the Mayor, asking that it be
made the Island Anthem.
Strangely, he did not reply.

"St. Croix, St. Croix......
It's the gem of the Caribbean
and it's so much fun to be one
of them sunshine chasin fools...

The weather's fine, the air divine
the water's clear and blue...
but before you go to visit
let me say these words to you....

Cruzan Rum! Cruzan Rum!
it will wipe out all the traces
of your mind and your friend's faces
make you lie down in strange places....

It's as sweet as mountain honey
it's as pure as Mother's love
it dont hardly cost no money...
It's a Gift from God above!

But it will wipe out all the traces
of your mind and your friend's faces
Make you lie down in strange places,
CRUZAN RUM!!!"

Lass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 wrote:

> There's something In tequilla....I swear, there is! Something that
> makes a tequilla drunk weirder than any other kind. Every time I drink
> it, I want to get a tattoo.

Did you every hear that song, "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off"?

Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: Sandra's Halloween Wonderland Ubiquitous General Cooking 0 05-10-2016 10:43 AM
Sandra Lee of 'Sandra Lee Celebrates: Winter Wonderland Party' Ubiquitous General Cooking 1 26-12-2009 02:55 PM
FA: The Martini Book Shane General 0 23-04-2005 01:00 PM
The Modern Martini LoudObnoxiousThemeShirts General 0 20-01-2005 07:13 PM
martini question dan General 0 17-01-2005 10:07 PM