Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Sandra Lee's PBJ Martini

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Mon 12 Jan 2009 06:02:57p, Paul M. Cook told us...
>

>> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>>> OMG. I just wandered through afternoon TV channels and came across the
>>> end of S.L's show. She was making PB&J "Martinis". Umm, yeah. Ugh.
>>>
>>> Raspberry vodka
>>> Hazelnut "li-KOOR"
>>> red grape juice
>>> and a canned peach slice in each glass.
>>>
>>> For kitchen decor and "tablescape" it was a pink-and-green day.
>>>
>>> How can people watch this stuff

>> Sandra Lee has become to cooks what Wal Mart became to shoppers. I
>> simply cannot watch her show or her positively hideous recipes.
>>
>> That said I am a purist when it come to the martini. A martini is made
>> with gin and dry vermouth. Sometimes vodka replaces the gin which is
>> acceptable. That's it. Anything else is NOT a martini. A martini has
>> NO mixers, and even if it is just garnished with something other than
>> an olive it is not called a martini. I don't even care if it tastes
>> good. It is not a martini.
>>
>> If you want a perfect martini here is how to do it
>>
>> fill a tumbler to the top with whole ice, NOT crushed (the ice must be
>> from filtered water)
>> pour in 1 ounce of dry white vermouth being sure to slosh it over the
>> ice pour out the vermouth
>> pour in 4 ounces of your best dry gin which has been pre-chilled
>> stir with a non-metallic spoon, do not shake - James Bond was wrong
>> immediately pour into 2 large martini glasses
>> add 2 green olives - pimento optional
>>
>> That is a perfect dry martini.
>>
>> Paul

> Paul, I know what you mean, although I prefer a 5:1 ratio. However the
> recipe for a true "Perfect Martini" by that name contains equal amounts of
> both dry and sweet vermouth. This was a classic at one time.

OK, Wayne. Put on the gloves, step outside. Let's settle this now before
it gets into a fully protracted war.

My recipe actually is heavy on the vermouth. The truest dry martini is when
you pour the gin into the glass and whisper "vermouth" into it. The
alternate method is to show the bottle to the glass before serving.

Paul

> Perfect(ly awful) Martini
>
> 2 oz gin
> 1/2 oz dry vermouth
> 1/2 oz sweet vermouth
> green olives or lemon twist for garnish
>
> Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice cubes.
> Stir well.

Blech. Sweet vermouth in a martini? Add some bourbon and just call it a
manhattan. Yuck.

Paul