Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Candy Thermometer Advice?

Please, can someone here tell me if this is a good replacement for my
candy thermometer that has disappeared, and my grandaughter's that has
stopped telling the truth? ...Picks

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...ermometer.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> Please, can someone here tell me if this is a good replacement for my
> candy thermometer that has disappeared, and my grandaughter's that has
> stopped telling the truth? ...Picks
>
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...ermometer.aspx

The link doesn't work for me, but I recommend a Polder digital instant
(more-or-less) read that can be used as a meat thermometer as well as for
oil and candy, if you don't mind holding it in the pot with one hand while
you stir with the other. I've tried many, many alternatives, but most of
them are not only 5-10 degrees or more off, but don't register as precisely
as necessary for some types of candy, notably caramels and chocolate. The
downside is that you can't clip it on the side of the pot. If you can find a
digital thermometer that can be clipped on the side, fine.

I've gone through a lot of thermometers making jams and jellies and candy.
The Polder with the probe-on-a-cord type I bought never worked. The Taylor
digitals conked out rapidly. The French tube in a cage is impossible to
read, and too much stuff gets caught in it to use for anything but oil. The
tall, "professional" Taylor stick type actually had the black gradation
marks boil off which making jam! (Now THAT'S a poorly designed jam and
jelly thermometer!) The Taylor dial type clip on isn't precise enough, but
it has worked for more than a decade. Unfortunately, it is 10 degrees off,
but I can adjust for that, and it is reliable as long as you tap it
periodically so it can be used for rough measurement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> Please, can someone here tell me if this is a good replacement for my
> candy thermometer that has disappeared, and my grandaughter's that has
> stopped telling the truth? ...Picks
>
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...ermometer.aspx

Okay, I got to see it. It looks good to me, as long as it continuously
displays the temperature and doesn't limit you to the preset settings. One
wouldn't think it would, but you never know.

I may get one myself, actually.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 7:44*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> PickyJaz wrote (and Janet gave an experience filled and appreciated reply, thank you. The link not loading (for Janet) can be seen via - which describes the thermometer with:

Digital Oil & Candy Thermometer $27.95
This smart electronic monitor beeps and flashes when the correct
temperature is reached so you don't overcook.
Technology takes the guesswork out of candy making and deep-frying in
this handy thermometer. LCD screen indicates 14 pre-programmed stage
settings with user-friendly icons including hard ball, soft ball and
cracking. Cooking guide on back. Battery included.
Product Features
• Alert sounds and lights
• 14 preprogrammed settings
• Large LCD display with easy digital readout
• Temperatures displayed in Fahrenheit or Celsius
• Heat-resistant white plastic body with 8" stainless-steel pivoting
probe, clip and fold-up splatter/heat shield
• One AAA battery
• Limited 90-day warranty
Specifications
• Model CT-03
• Size: 12 1/2"L
• Body Size: 4 1/2"L
• Probe Size: 8"L
Care and Use
• Wipe clean after each use.

Digital Oil & Candy ThermometerThis smart electronic monitor beeps and
flashes when the correct temperature is reached so you don't
overcook. Your Price $27.95
Technology takes the guesswork out of candy making and deep-frying in
this handy thermometer. LCD screen indicates 14 pre-programmed stage
settings with user-friendly icons including hard ball, soft ball and
cracking. Cooking guide on back. Battery included.

(At this same Chefs site one can also can search for, though I did not
see this until looking just now---> Taylor Professional Candy
Thermometer Chefs Price: $19.99)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 31 Dec 2008 09:00:00p, PickyJaz told us...

> On Dec 31, 7:44*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
>> PickyJaz wrote (and Janet gave an experience filled and appreciated
>> reply

> , thank you. The link not loading (for Janet) can be seen via - which
> describes the thermometer with: Digital Oil & Candy Thermometer
> $27.95 This smart electronic monitor beeps and flashes when the correct
> temperature is reached so you don't overcook.
> Technology takes the guesswork out of candy making and deep-frying in
> this handy thermometer. LCD screen indicates 14 pre-programmed stage
> settings with user-friendly icons including hard ball, soft ball and
> cracking. Cooking guide on back. Battery included.
> Product Features
> • Alert sounds and lights
> • 14 preprogrammed settings
> • Large LCD display with easy digital readout
> • Temperatures displayed in Fahrenheit or Celsius
> • Heat-resistant white plastic body with 8" stainless-steel pivoting
> probe, clip and fold-up splatter/heat shield
> • One AAA battery
> • Limited 90-day warranty
> Specifications
> • Model CT-03
> • Size: 12 1/2"L
> • Body Size: 4 1/2"L
> • Probe Size: 8"L
> Care and Use
> • Wipe clean after each use.
>
> Digital Oil & Candy ThermometerThis smart electronic monitor beeps and
> flashes when the correct temperature is reached so you don't
> overcook. Your Price $27.95
> Technology takes the guesswork out of candy making and deep-frying in
> this handy thermometer. LCD screen indicates 14 pre-programmed stage
> settings with user-friendly icons including hard ball, soft ball and
> cracking. Cooking guide on back. Battery included.

This looks like it would guarantee perfect candy making.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 12(XII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till New Year's Day
6hrs 57mins
'Politically Correct' - Colloquial oxymoronic figure of speech.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you Janet and Wayne, I have just purchased two!

....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 31 Dec 2008 09:45:37p, PickyJaz told us...

> Thank you Janet and Wayne, I have just purchased two!
>
> ...Picky

Good going! I may be next.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 12(XII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till New Year's Day
6hrs 57mins
'Politically Correct' - Colloquial oxymoronic figure of speech.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> This looks like it would guarantee perfect candy making.

Hah! <G>

Only if it also guarantees perfect room temperature and perfect humidity!

But I agree, it would help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> Thank you Janet and Wayne, I have just purchased two!
>
> ...Picky

Let me know how it works out. I hesitate to add yet another to my Dead
Thermometer Graveyard. <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31 2008, 8:12ïż½pm, PickyJaz > wrote:
> Please, can someone here tell me if this is a good replacement for my
> candy thermometer that has disappeared, and my grandaughter's that has
> stopped telling the truth? ïż½...Picks
>
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...and-candy-ther...

I don't care for electronic type cooking thermometers... I much prefer
this: http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=8025

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31 2008, 7:12*pm, PickyJaz > wrote:
> Please, can someone here tell me if this is a good replacement for my
> candy thermometer that has disappeared, and my grandaughter's that has
> stopped telling the truth? *...Picks
>
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...and-candy-ther...

My old-fashioned clip-on type thermometer (mercury in the base) Taylor
has worked fine and accurately for a long time. I like to see the
gradual rising of the temps, relative to where I want it to end, which
isn't the same (for me) on a digital.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
PickyJaz > wrote:

> Please, can someone here tell me if this is a good replacement for my
> candy thermometer that has disappeared, and my grandaughter's that has
> stopped telling the truth? ...Picks
>
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...-thermometer.a
> spx

Hooboy, that's fancy, Miss Jeanine! Cool. I used a cheap
alcohol-filled one for years until it broke a few weeks ago. My fault
that it broke. I'd always calibrate it in a pan of boiling water to
check the accuracy of its temp. If it showed 212° when the water was at
a nice boil, I knew it was spot on. If it showed other than that, I'd
adjust the temp I was cooking to accordingly; i.e., if it read 214 in
boiling water (the temp at which water boils here), I'd know that my
desired temp should read +2 degrees over what the recipe stated. Clear
as mud?

I'd check the one you bought in a pan of boiling water.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> jelly thermometer!) The Taylor dial type clip on isn't precise enough, but
> it has worked for more than a decade. Unfortunately, it is 10 degrees off,

WOW! I thought it was just mine!! Glad to see it isn't. I used the
Taylor with the rectangular metal gauge behind it for this year's
caramels and peanut brittle. Spot on.

> but I can adjust for that, and it is reliable as long as you tap it
> periodically so it can be used for rough measurement.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
fences;
now let the winter winds blow."
God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
anyone
I've ever known.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz > wrote:
> Please, can someone here tell me if this is a good replacement for my
> candy thermometer that has disappeared, and my grandaughter's that has
> stopped telling the truth? ...Picks

> http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...ermometer.aspx

That looks pretty much like the ones my wife uses for candy making,
and I used for funnel cake making. Held up better than the dial
types which went inaccurate after a few sessions of hot oil for
6 to 8 hours straight. Really haven't used one very long for hot
oil, but my wife's had them for several years and she makes candy
as a profession.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.