Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Candy Thermometer?

Another recommendation I'd appreciate is for a candy thermometer that
can be used for, attached to most any cooking pan used, though not a
pan more than 6-8" in height (pans are Revereware or Caphalon as to
side thickness). The only local resources for such have nothing more
than "cheapie" ones that cannot be easily read, do not attach to/stand
up against pan-side well, or that have proven to be inaccurate.

Thank you for help, Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-01-08 14:50:25 -0800, PickyJaz > said:

> Another recommendation I'd appreciate is for a candy thermometer that
> can be used for, attached to most any cooking pan used, though not a
> pan more than 6-8" in height (pans are Revereware or Caphalon as to
> side thickness). The only local resources for such have nothing more
> than "cheapie" ones that cannot be easily read, do not attach to/stand
> up against pan-side well, or that have proven to be inaccurate.
>
> Thank you for help, Picky

I've been pretty happy with this one from Williams-Sonoma. It's not
the cheapest, but I've found it to be accurate and very easy to read (I
got fed up with the glass one that were always fogging up!)

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...?pkey=cctlttsi

--
MaryMc

(remove the obvious to reply)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 5:50 pm, PickyJaz > wrote:
> Another recommendation I'd appreciate is for a candy thermometer that
> can be used for, attached to most any cooking pan used, though not a
> pan more than 6-8" in height (pans are Revereware or Caphalon as to
> side thickness). The only local resources for such have nothing more
> than "cheapie" ones that cannot be easily read, do not attach to/stand
> up against pan-side well, or that have proven to be inaccurate.
>
> Thank you for help, Picky

I have been very pleased with this model, and it's very reasonable.

http://www.us-appliance.com/59tacadefryt.html

( I think I got mine from Amazon)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:50:25 -0800 (PST), PickyJaz >
wrote:

>Another recommendation I'd appreciate is for a candy thermometer that
>can be used for, attached to most any cooking pan used, though not a
>pan more than 6-8" in height (pans are Revereware or Caphalon as to
>side thickness). The only local resources for such have nothing more
>than "cheapie" ones that cannot be easily read, do not attach to/stand
>up against pan-side well, or that have proven to be inaccurate.
>
>Thank you for help, Picky

Hello Picky,

We use a Polder thermometer for baking, cooking, and candy. A metal
binder clip on the edge of the pan, then run the probe through the
"handles" of the clip (saw that one on Good Eats).

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 4:50 pm, PickyJaz > wrote:
> Another recommendation I'd appreciate is for a candy thermometer that
> can be used for, attached to most any cooking pan used, though not a
> pan more than 6-8" in height (pans are Revereware or Caphalon as to
> side thickness). The only local resources for such have nothing more
> than "cheapie" ones that cannot be easily read, do not attach to/stand
> up against pan-side well, or that have proven to be inaccurate.
>
> Thank you for help, Picky

I have one made by Taylor, which has a nice big clip on the back of
the flat front, so the height of the mercury bulb at the bottom is
adjustable in the pan (so you can make sure it doesn't touch the
bottom of the pan). It wasn't expensive. It's never let me down.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 7:57*pm, wrote:
> I have been very pleased with this model, and it's very reasonable.
>
> http://www.us-appliance.com/59tacadefryt.html
>
> ( I think I got mine from Amazon)

Thank you for this tell, and thank you MaryMc as well. I've saved
both sites and will be deciding/buying well before the next need.

With appreciation for all responses, Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
PickyJaz > wrote:

> Another recommendation I'd appreciate is for a candy thermometer that
> can be used for, attached to most any cooking pan used, though not a
>
> Thank you for help, Picky

I still use a cheap mercury thermometer, Miss Jeanine -- and I
faithfully calibrate it before I use it. Lately it's been off but
that's no never mind -- I know that water boils at 212 degrees here and
I compensate accordingly. I can clip it to the pan i use for
candymaking,
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to