Goomba38

Default Instant read thermometer for Candy?

If I were to make fudge, and the recipe called for a candy thermometer,
could I use my instant read instead? What are the differences here?
TIA
Goomba

PENMART01

>Goomba38 asks:
>

>If I were to make fudge, and the recipe called for a candy thermometer,
>could I use my instant read instead?

Not really.

>What are the differences here?

Typical insta-read thermometers do not register nearly high enough for
confectionary work... attempting to do so will likely damage the unit. Candy
thermometers also do double duty for deep frying... they are inexpensive...
usually around ten dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=pd_sl_aw_alx-
jeb-6-1_kitchen_2161787_1/103-7302777-9716643

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Goomba38 > wrote:
> If I were to make fudge, and the recipe called for a candy thermometer,
> could I use my instant read instead? What are the differences here?

If it reads to a high enough temperature I can't see why not.
We use digital "meat" thermometers for candy making and they
all read plenty high enough for fudge, etc.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Alex Rast

at Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:57:40 GMT in >,
wrote :

>Goomba38 > wrote:
>> If I were to make fudge, and the recipe called for a candy thermometer,
>> could I use my instant read instead? What are the differences here?

>If it reads to a high enough temperature I can't see why not.
>We use digital "meat" thermometers for candy making and they
>all read plenty high enough for fudge, etc.

A non-obvious advantage, however, of using a "traditional" candy
thermometer (the glass-bulb ones, not the dial ones) is that when the sugar
syrup starts to get near the right temperature, things happen *very* fast.
In a matter of a few seconds, the syrup can change from ideal to overdone.
With a bulb thermometer, you can actually watch the mercury level rise, and
so be ready to remove from the stove. With an instant-read, however, you're
not going to be able to do this, and at the rate things start to change,
the number of measurements you'd need to take would be impractical and
probably imprecise. The dial-type candy thermometers also work OK, although
it's a little more difficult to see the motion of the dial because it's
generally not as much as in a glass bulb type. Digital-readout thermometers
are much more difficult to work with because a changing numeric reading is
confusing and tends to make it difficult to figure out exactly what's going
on.

--
Alex Rast

Bob

Alex Rast wrote:

> at Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:57:40 GMT in >,
> wrote :
>
>>Goomba38 > wrote:
>>
>>>If I were to make fudge, and the recipe called for a candy thermometer,
>>>could I use my instant read instead? What are the differences here?

>>If it reads to a high enough temperature I can't see why not.
>>We use digital "meat" thermometers for candy making and they
>>all read plenty high enough for fudge, etc.
>>

> A non-obvious advantage, however, of using a "traditional" candy
> thermometer (the glass-bulb ones, not the dial ones) is that when the sugar
> syrup starts to get near the right temperature, things happen *very* fast.
> In a matter of a few seconds, the syrup can change from ideal to overdone.
> With a bulb thermometer, you can actually watch the mercury level rise, and
> so be ready to remove from the stove. With an instant-read, however, you're
> not going to be able to do this,

Beg to differ. Not much difference between watching a pointer move
around a dial and mercury rising in a column. I got rid of all my
glass thermometers three restaurants ago because of the safety issue.
I have both analog and digital candy/deep fry thermometers and they
work as well as or better than the mercury ones. Analog reads from 50
to 550F. Digital reads from -30 to 425F.

> and at the rate things start to change,
> the number of measurements you'd need to take would be impractical and
> probably imprecise.

You don't remove the quick-read from the sugar solution. The probe end
stays in the sugar while it's working. I use a spring clip to hold
them in place.

> The dial-type candy thermometers also work OK, although
> it's a little more difficult to see the motion of the dial because it's
> generally not as much as in a glass bulb type. Digital-readout thermometers
> are much more difficult to work with because a changing numeric reading is
> confusing and tends to make it difficult to figure out exactly what's going
> on.

The digital readout is considerably more accurate and considerably
easier to read, IMO. On the face of it, I can't understand why
changing numbers would be confusing. What's to figure out about what's
going on. The sugar is getting hotter, staying the same or cooling off.

Pastorio

Bob > wrote:
> Alex Rast wrote:

> > The dial-type candy thermometers also work OK, although
> > it's a little more difficult to see the motion of the dial because it's
> > generally not as much as in a glass bulb type. Digital-readout thermometers
> > are much more difficult to work with because a changing numeric reading is
> > confusing and tends to make it difficult to figure out exactly what's going
> > on.

> The digital readout is considerably more accurate and considerably
> easier to read, IMO. On the face of it, I can't understand why
> changing numbers would be confusing. What's to figure out about what's
> going on. The sugar is getting hotter, staying the same or cooling off.

The digital models we use have temperature alarms. You can set them
a few degrees below the critcal point, and then they will beep
once things get close. Easy to understand and read.

To each, their own, if you don't like digitals I'm not going
to try to convince you to change. We use them for candy making
all the time and find them quite handy.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.