Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Candy Thermometer

I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. I
had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.

They /should/ be at the local grocery store. All things food do not
stop at 212 degrees.

--
Yours,
Dan S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-12-23, DanS. > wrote:

> had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.

Strange. I bought mine at Wallyworld.

nbXCy

--
eschew obfuscation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DanS." > wrote in message
>I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. I
>had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or
>Meijer's.
>
> They /should/ be at the local grocery store. All things food do not stop
> at 212 degrees.

Golly! I haven't bought one for many years but I know I didn't have to go
to a special store. I just bought a meat thermometer for the first time.
It came from the grocery store. They actually had several types.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or
>> Meijer's.

> Strange. I bought mine at Wallyworld.

When I was in the US last winter I bought all kinds of thermometers for
friends in Italy. Target had a wall coverted with them... all types, all
purposes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DanS." > wrote:

>I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. I
>had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.
>
>They /should/ be at the local grocery store. All things food do not
>stop at 212 degrees.

I just saw one in my grocery store yesterday. I noticed it because
it is *exactly* like the one I bought [in another grocery store, I
imagine] 25 years ago. Something that wasn't broke and didn't get
'fixed' anyway is always good to see.

This time of year probably isn't the best time to try to buy one at a
grocery store- but the ones I frequent carry them. They probably
only sell 3 a year and all in Nov/Dec.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> "DanS." > wrote:
>
>>I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. I
>>had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or
>>Meijer's.
>>
>>They /should/ be at the local grocery store. All things food do not
>>stop at 212 degrees.

> I just saw one in my grocery store yesterday. I noticed it because
> it is *exactly* like the one I bought [in another grocery store, I
> imagine] 25 years ago. Something that wasn't broke and didn't get
> 'fixed' anyway is always good to see.
>
> This time of year probably isn't the best time to try to buy one at a
> grocery store- but the ones I frequent carry them. They probably
> only sell 3 a year and all in Nov/Dec.
>
> Jim

I noticed that the syrup for Judy's candied walnuts was stalled at 220 and
just wasn't ever going to get any hotter. I tempered a 2nd candy
thermometer and, sure, enough, it went right on up to the 236 mark. So glad
I had a substitute handy. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 7:39*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message

> > "DanS." > wrote:

> >>I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. *I
> >>had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. *None at Wal-mart or
> >>Meijer's.

> >>They /should/ be at the local grocery store. *All things food do not
> >>stop at 212 degrees.

> > I just saw one in my grocery store yesterday. * I noticed it because
> > it is *exactly* like the one I bought [in another grocery store, I
> > imagine] 25 years ago. * * *Something that wasn't broke and didn't get
> > 'fixed' anyway is always good to see.

> > This time of year probably isn't the best time to try to buy one at a
> > grocery store- but the ones I frequent carry them. * They probably
> > only sell 3 a year and all in Nov/Dec.

> > Jim

> I noticed that the syrup for Judy's candied walnuts was stalled at 220 and
> just wasn't ever going to get any hotter. *I tempered a 2nd candy
> thermometer and, sure, enough, it went right on up to the 236 mark. *So glad
> I had a substitute handy. *Polly

I pulled out my Christmas Candy making supplies one year and
discovered that the glass tube on my old trusty candy thermometer was
broken! Oh no!! So I bought two of them, and now I have a backup so
THAT little emergency will never happen again!!

Mine goes up to 400F so I can burn sugar and know exactly how hot it
is when I do! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 1:29*am, "DanS." > wrote:
> I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. *I
> had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. *None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.
>
> They /should/ be at the local grocery store. *All things food do not
> stop at 212 degrees.

This should have been read by Charlton Heston. Behold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 4:26*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "notbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> >> had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. *None at Wal-mart or
> >> Meijer's.

> > Strange. *I bought mine at Wallyworld.

> When I was in the US last winter I bought all kinds of thermometers for
> friends in Italy. *Target had a wall coverted with them... all types, all
> purposes.

They are forbidden here in Nebraska because of the methamphetamine
thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 7:55*am, projectile vomit chick

> They are forbidden here in Nebraska because of the methamphetamine
> thing.

Oh you have GOT to be kidding!! You can order them over the Internet
easily!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DanS. wrote:
> I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer.
> I had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or
> Meijer's.
> They /should/ be at the local grocery store. All things food do not
> stop at 212 degrees.

As someone who uses a candy thermometer on a weekly and sometimes daily
basis, I **strongly** recommend that you get a relatively cheap instant-read
digital thermometer that goes up to 400F. It shouldn't cost you more than
$10. When it eventually stops working, just toss it and get a new one.

Most conventional candy thermometers are too inaccurate to work well when
working with chocolate or making caramels, and they aren't too good for
jelly and jam, either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:39:09 -0500, "Janet" >
wrote:

> Most conventional candy thermometers are too inaccurate to work well when
> working with chocolate or making caramels, and they aren't too good for
> jelly and jam, either.

Thanks! I lost the metal clip part of the candy thermometer and have
debated replacing it, but now I won't bother.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 2:29*am, "DanS." > wrote:
> I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. *I
> had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. *None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.
>
> They /should/ be at the local grocery store. *All things food do not
> stop at 212 degrees.
>
> --
> Yours,
> Dan S.

I would have thought that a regular supermarket would NOT haven them.
Not that many ppl into making candy. Heck - I only use mine to get
water to 195 for caw-fee. Gave up on the candy long ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/23/2011 4:31 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. I
>> had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or
>> Meijer's.
>>
>> They /should/ be at the local grocery store. All things food do not stop
>> at 212 degrees.

> Golly! I haven't bought one for many years but I know I didn't have to go
> to a special store. I just bought a meat thermometer for the first time.
> It came from the grocery store. They actually had several types.

Even BB&B only had one kind. There were about 6 different kinds of meat
thermometers.

--
Yours,
Dan S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/23/2011 11:46 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2:29 am, > wrote:
>> I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. I
>> had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.
>>
>> They /should/ be at the local grocery store. All things food do not
>> stop at 212 degrees.
>>
>> --
>> Yours,
>> Dan S.

> I would have thought that a regular supermarket would NOT haven them.
> Not that many ppl into making candy. Heck - I only use mine to get
> water to 195 for caw-fee. Gave up on the candy long ago.

I'm probably only going to use it once or twice a year myself. But, I
do something different for the family every year, and this year it's
going to be different types of caramels and fudges. I'm definitely not
not a candy magician.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 12:06*pm, "DanS." > wrote:

> I'm probably only going to use it once or twice a year myself. *But, I
> do something different for the family every year, and this year it's
> going to be different types of caramels and fudges. *I'm definitely not
> not a candy magician.

With an accurate thermometer, you don't have to be either! Before I
use my candy thermometer each year, I "calibrate" it by boiling pure
water and seeing what my thermometer reads. Should read 212F/100C, and
this year it did! Well, barely under, not even 0.5F!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan S. wrote:

>I should not have to go to a specialty
> store for a candy thermometer. I had to
> go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one.
> None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.

Strange place to buy a candy thermometer, but I've never been in one of
their stores, so maybe by "Beyond", the sky is the limit, and can find a
little of everything there? I swear by Taylor candy thermometers, and
the temperature readings were getting faded on the one I'd been using
for about 50 years, so I went to a kitchen store in the mall and bought
another Taylor last year. I didn't look in any of our regular stores
(such as Wal-Mart, or Fred Meyer, etc. to see if they even had them.

>They /should/ be at the local grocery
> store. All things food do not stop at 212
> degrees.

A person definitely needs one for making candy, rather than rely on the
cold water test.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/23/2011 12:29 AM, DanS. wrote:
> I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. I
> had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.
>
> They /should/ be at the local grocery store. All things food do not stop
> at 212 degrees.

I've taken to using my battery powered probe thermometer for almost
everything. I used to have all kinds of thermometers in my kitchen
drawers, but they all varied widely in reliability and they took up a
really astonishing amount of space. Now I have the probe and an instant
read, and I find that I'm set for whatever I encounter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:29:55 -0500, "DanS." >
wrote:

>I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. I
>had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.
>
>They /should/ be at the local grocery store. All things food do not
>stop at 212 degrees.

Nobody uses them so resale stores are loaded with them. I've got over
a dozen various thermometers and never paid more than a buck for one.
Some just a quarter.

One is an old Taylor and the original box calls it a "candy guide." It
has a temp scale and the stages are marked. Judging by the box I'd
say it's from the late 50's. I've used it and it's accurate. I have
another one but it didn't come with a box.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/23/2011 1:17 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Dec 23, 12:06 pm, > wrote:
>>
>> I'm probably only going to use it once or twice a year myself. But, I
>> do something different for the family every year, and this year it's
>> going to be different types of caramels and fudges. I'm definitely not
>> not a candy magician.
>>

> With an accurate thermometer, you don't have to be either! Before I
> use my candy thermometer each year, I "calibrate" it by boiling pure
> water and seeing what my thermometer reads. Should read 212F/100C, and
> this year it did! Well, barely under, not even 0.5F!
>
> John Kuthe...

That's how I've used my meat thermometer every time in the past. You
calibrate the maximum temperature of the meat thermometer under 15-20
degrees in boiling water. Then when it gets to 220, you know its 235.
But, I hate screwing up my meat thermometers. You always have to check
to see if you forgot to recalibrate it, and since they aren't designed
for those temps, you have to wonder about accuracy.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 1:13*pm, "DanS." > wrote:

> That's how I've used my meat thermometer every time in the past. *You
> calibrate the maximum temperature of the meat thermometer under 15-20
> degrees in boiling water. *Then when it gets to 220, you know its 235.
> But, I hate screwing up my meat thermometers. *You always have to check
> to see if you forgot to recalibrate it, and since they aren't designed
> for those temps, you have to wonder about accuracy.
>
> --
> Yours,
> Dan S.

I cook my English Toffee to 310F. So I need a thermometer accurate to
those temps.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. I
>had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.
>
>They /should/ be at the local grocery store. All things food do not
>stop at 212 degrees.

Often candy and deep fry are combo thermometers:
http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Dec 23, 12:06 pm, "DanS." > wrote:
>>
>> I'm probably only going to use it once or twice a year myself. But, I
>> do something different for the family every year, and this year it's
>> going to be different types of caramels and fudges. I'm definitely
>> not not a candy magician.
>>

> With an accurate thermometer, you don't have to be either! Before I
> use my candy thermometer each year, I "calibrate" it by boiling pure
> water and seeing what my thermometer reads. Should read 212F/100C, and
> this year it did! Well, barely under, not even 0.5F!
>
> John Kuthe...

We did not have a thermometer when I was growing up so I learned to use the
cold water method. I do use a thermometer now but I still use the cold
water method as a final test.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 05:55:04 -0800 (PST), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>> > Strange. *I bought mine at Wallyworld.

>> When I was in the US last winter I bought all kinds of thermometers for
>> friends in Italy. *Target had a wall coverted with them... all types, all
>> purposes.

>They are forbidden here in Nebraska because of the methamphetamine
>thing.

Is that the oral or anal version, makes a difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 1:51*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Often candy and deep fry are combo thermometers:http://www.walmart.com/search/search...=candy+deep+fr...

I NEVER buy anything from MalWart!! Ever!!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:
> Dan S. wrote:
>
>> I should not have to go to a specialty
>> store for a candy thermometer. I had to
>> go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one.
>> None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.

> Strange place to buy a candy thermometer, but I've never been in one
> of their stores, so maybe by "Beyond", the sky is the limit, and can
> find a little of everything there? I swear by Taylor candy
> thermometers, and the temperature readings were getting faded on the
> one I'd been using for about 50 years, so I went to a kitchen store
> in the mall and bought another Taylor last year. I didn't look in any
> of our regular stores (such as Wal-Mart, or Fred Meyer, etc. to see
> if they even had them.
>
>> They /should/ be at the local grocery
>> store. All things food do not stop at 212
>> degrees.

> A person definitely needs one for making candy, rather than rely on
> the cold water test.

I have a severe dislike for Bed Bath and Beyond! When we first moved back
here, I went there for towels and bath mats to match our new bathroom. The
wall paper is a medium pink, light blue and light green. Seem like pretty
normal colors to me. But did they have anything in those colors? Nope. I
wound up going to Fred Meyer.

Got a gift card for them and since I dislike going into the store so much, I
shopped online. Really didn't see anything I wanted or needed so finally
settled on a Circulon pan that was far more money than I would normally pay
for a pan. That turned out to be a good deal because I use it many times
each week. But there was still some money left on the gift card. So I got
a set of bath products that I had to give away because they smelled so vile.

Then some years later I was given a double Crock-Pot as a gift. I have no
need for one so was told to return it there which I did. But they would
only give me store credit. By then they did have towels in those colors.
They were expensive, so I bought them, thinking they would be better than
what we had. Nope. They just shredded when I watched them.

Mostly I feel they sell products that can be bought elsewhere for a lot less
money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:59:49 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, "DanS."
> wrote,
>Even BB&B only had one kind. There were about 6 different kinds of meat
>thermometers.

Most of those you call "meat" thermometers work great as candy
thermometers and also for deep frying. Digital only!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:29:55 -0500, DanS. wrote:
>
> > I should not have to go to a specialty store for a candy thermometer. I
> > had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.
> >
> > They /should/ be at the local grocery store. All things food do not
> > stop at 212 degrees.

> I wouldn't expect to find a candy thermometer at Walmart or my
> mainline grocer. Too fragile and too slow a mover to sustain much
> shelf life.
>
> But my Polders and Taylors work just fine as candy thermometers. So I
> see no reason to bring home and break yet another candy thermometer.
>
> -sw

Are you kidding? My supermarket has them with the kitchen gadgets.
The important part is to calibrate it before you use it -- check to see
what temp water boils at -- at my altitude, that's 212?. If the
thermometer doesn't say that, I adjust (mentally) accordingly when I'm
checking the candy temp.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/23/2011 10:10 PM, David Harmon wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:59:49 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, "DanS."
> > wrote,
>> Even BB&B only had one kind. There were about 6 different kinds of meat
>> thermometers.

> Most of those you call "meat" thermometers work great as candy
> thermometers and also for deep frying. Digital only!

They max out at 220.

--
Yours,
Dan S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 17:20:11 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, "DanS."
> wrote,
>On 12/23/2011 10:10 PM, David Harmon wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:59:49 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, "DanS."
>> > wrote,
>>> Even BB&B only had one kind. There were about 6 different kinds of meat
>>> thermometers.

>> Most of those you call "meat" thermometers work great as candy
>> thermometers and also for deep frying. Digital only!

>They max out at 220.

Of the two corded-probe thermometers I have, the Oneida maxes out at
400F and Redi Check at something above that. Both from BB&B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, notbob > posted on 23 Dec
2011 08:16:22 GMT the following:

> On 2011-12-23, DanS. > wrote:
>
> > had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.

> Strange. I bought mine at Wallyworld.

So did I. I got this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...0723W/14913170

There's a problem, though. I looked at a bunch of them on the peg hook
and while most were registering temperatures that were close, a few were
way off, by like 25 degrees or a little more. Then I noticed that the
paper insert was not at the same place within each glass cylinder. And I
also don't like that it's not waterproof. I can't just slosh it around
really good in hot soapy water. I have to be careful not to get any water
on the end or some gets inside the glass.

Why did they design it that way? Seems like putting a watertight cap on
it would be no big mystery or difficulty.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 25, 1:29*pm, Damaeus > wrote:
> In news:rec.food.cooking, notbob > posted on 23 Dec
> 2011 08:16:22 GMT the following:
>
> > On 2011-12-23, DanS. > wrote:

> > > had to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one. *None at Wal-mart or Meijer's.

> > Strange. *I bought mine at Wallyworld.

> So did I. *I got this one:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...Thermometer-Se...
>
> There's a problem, though. *I looked at a bunch of them on the peg hook
> and while most were registering temperatures that were close, a few were
> way off, by like 25 degrees or a little more. *Then I noticed that the
> paper insert was not at the same place within each glass cylinder. *And I
> also don't like that it's not waterproof. *I can't just slosh it around
> really good in hot soapy water. *I have to be careful not to get any water
> on the end or some gets inside the glass.
>
> Why did they design it that way? *Seems like putting a watertight cap on
> it would be no big mystery or difficulty.
>
> Damaeus

Looks like cheap junk to me, sorry. Here's the kind I use:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CD8Q8gIwAg

Just a glass tube strapped to a stainless steel frame which is
calibrated. The only thing I don't like is the glass tube is locked in
place on the frame, meaning I cannot adjust it to calibrate it to the
boiling point of boiling water, which I do every year before I make
candy. The old thermometer I had like this one allowed me to move the
tube relative to the temp graduations to calibrate it. Now I just
mentally add or subtract the amount it's off, if it's off.

John Kuthe...