Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Iced Coffee

Strange time of year, maybe, but I like it. (Some time back I tried a
Starbuck's Frappacino and liked it, but not the huge amount of sugar or the
$ cost.)

Good strong, fresh coffee with natural vanilla, sweetened and lightened to
taste with your choice of sweetener and creamer, over ice.

I use Splenda and 2% milk.

I'm drinking it now, and imagine I will have one more and won't see sleepy
time until dawn. Okay because I'm working. If it were slightly thickened
like the Starbucks kind, it might be better, but I don't want to add crap to
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 13 Dec 2008 10:19:38p, cybercat told us...

> Strange time of year, maybe, but I like it. (Some time back I tried a
> Starbuck's Frappacino and liked it, but not the huge amount of sugar or
> the $ cost.)
>
> Good strong, fresh coffee with natural vanilla, sweetened and lightened
> to taste with your choice of sweetener and creamer, over ice.
>
> I use Splenda and 2% milk.
>
> I'm drinking it now, and imagine I will have one more and won't see
> sleepy time until dawn. Okay because I'm working. If it were slightly
> thickened like the Starbucks kind, it might be better, but I don't want
> to add crap to it.

I don't generally drink hot coffee, no matter the season, but always iced.
Except for a bit of mocha syrup added, I don't like any other flavors added
to iteither, and I don't like it the least bit sweetened. What I end up
with is strong coffee, lots of ice, and a healthy (or unhealthy) glug of
half and half cream.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 12(XII)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
1wks 4dys 1hrs 30mins
Christmas comes, but once a year is enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Sat 13 Dec 2008 10:19:38p, cybercat told us...
>
>> Strange time of year, maybe, but I like it. (Some time back I tried a
>> Starbuck's Frappacino and liked it, but not the huge amount of sugar or
>> the $ cost.)
>>
>> Good strong, fresh coffee with natural vanilla, sweetened and lightened
>> to taste with your choice of sweetener and creamer, over ice.
>>
>> I use Splenda and 2% milk.
>>
>> I'm drinking it now, and imagine I will have one more and won't see
>> sleepy time until dawn. Okay because I'm working. If it were slightly
>> thickened like the Starbucks kind, it might be better, but I don't want
>> to add crap to it.

> I don't generally drink hot coffee, no matter the season, but always iced.
> Except for a bit of mocha syrup added, I don't like any other flavors
> added
> to iteither, and I don't like it the least bit sweetened. What I end up
> with is strong coffee, lots of ice, and a healthy (or unhealthy) glug of
> half and half cream.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
> (correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply)

I put my version of iced coffee on my blog, and got several emails from
people who said it would keep them up for days! lol. It's never effected me
that way, thankfully. It's 5 shots of espresso, a little vanilla or cinnamon
syrup, and a shot of half & half...and lots of ice. I shake the espresso
with ice before adding the half & half. It cracked me up when Starbucks came
out with the Double Shot drinks because it was essentially what I'd been
making for years...but the good thing is they charged much less for it than
they did the majority of their iced drinks, so if I was out and about, I
wouldn't feel bad about getting one.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Strange time of year, maybe, but I like it. (Some time back I tried a
> Starbuck's Frappacino and liked it, but not the huge amount of sugar or the
> $ cost.)
>
> Good strong, fresh coffee with natural vanilla, sweetened and lightened to
> taste with your choice of sweetener and creamer, over ice.
>
> I use Splenda and 2% milk.
>
> I'm drinking it now, and imagine I will have one more and won't see sleepy
> time until dawn. Okay because I'm working. If it were slightly thickened
> like the Starbucks kind, it might be better, but I don't want to add crap to
> it.

It's been interesting watching the beverage migration of iced coffee
from the northeast (or perhaps both coasts) in to the middle of the US
and the parallel migration of sweet tea from the south out to the
coasts. As little as 5 years ago many folks in the south had no idea
what iced coffee was and the same was true for sweet tea in the
northeast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I always make a double pot of coffee and refrigerate the leftover for iced
coffee. My little customizing tip is to add a dash of vanilla flavoring. I
happen to have some genuine Mexican vanilla flavoring so my iced java tastes
like a luxury product.

--
http://cashcuddler.com

"Thrift is sexy."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Macuser" > wrote in
:

> I always make a double pot of coffee and refrigerate the leftover for
> iced coffee. My little customizing tip is to add a dash of vanilla
> flavoring. I happen to have some genuine Mexican vanilla flavoring so
> my iced java tastes like a luxury product.

What's "genuine Mexican vanilla flavoring"???

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it is safer
to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 06:20:25 -0800, Nexis wrote:

> I put my version of iced coffee on my blog.......

.....and your blog is??

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Macuser" > wrote in message
>I always make a double pot of coffee and refrigerate the leftover for iced
>coffee. My little customizing tip is to add a dash of vanilla flavoring. I
>happen to have some genuine Mexican vanilla flavoring so my iced java
>tastes like a luxury product.

That vanilla does the trick, doesn't it? I figured it out one day after
paying a stiff price for somebody's Iced Vanilla Latte or whatever.
Caramel flavoring works well, too.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in
:

> "Macuser" > wrote in message
>>I always make a double pot of coffee and refrigerate the leftover for
>>iced coffee. My little customizing tip is to add a dash of vanilla
>>flavoring. I happen to have some genuine Mexican vanilla flavoring so
>>my iced java tastes like a luxury product.

> That vanilla does the trick, doesn't it? I figured it out one day
> after paying a stiff price for somebody's Iced Vanilla Latte or
> whatever. Caramel flavoring works well, too.

Hazelnut syrup is quite good in coffee too.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it is safer
to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in news:14vistbzi9y00.zpoxccluwjh7.dlg@
40tude.net:

Over there---------------------------->

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it is safer
to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 13 Dec 2008 10:19:38p, cybercat told us...
>
>> Strange time of year, maybe, but I like it. (Some time back I tried a
>> Starbuck's Frappacino and liked it, but not the huge amount of sugar or
>> the $ cost.)
>>
>> Good strong, fresh coffee with natural vanilla, sweetened and lightened
>> to taste with your choice of sweetener and creamer, over ice.
>>
>> I use Splenda and 2% milk.
>>
>> I'm drinking it now, and imagine I will have one more and won't see
>> sleepy time until dawn. Okay because I'm working. If it were slightly
>> thickened like the Starbucks kind, it might be better, but I don't want
>> to add crap to it.

> I don't generally drink hot coffee, no matter the season, but always iced.
> Except for a bit of mocha syrup added, I don't like any other flavors added
> to iteither, and I don't like it the least bit sweetened. What I end up
> with is strong coffee, lots of ice, and a healthy (or unhealthy) glug of
> half and half cream.

I drink iced coffee year round too. I like it flavored with chocolate on
occasion and I also like Starbuck's Peppermint mocha every once in a while.

What I usually do is brew a pot and leave it in the fridge. If I want a
mocha iced I add some hershey's syrup to it along with half and half.

When I drink it hot it is never flavored - just light/no sugar.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stuff I got in Tijuana that's made from vanilla bean. The kind you find in
US supermarkets is artificial flavoring.

--
http://cashcuddler.com

"Thrift is sexy."

"PeterL" > wrote in message
. 25...

> What's "genuine Mexican vanilla flavoring"???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Macuser wrote:

> Stuff I got in Tijuana that's made from vanilla bean. The kind you find in
> US supermarkets is artificial flavoring.

There are a number of kinds of vanilla found in US supermarkets,
including artificial and multiple varieties of real vanilla.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:28:04 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 06:20:25 -0800, Nexis wrote:
>

>> I put my version of iced coffee on my blog.......

>....and your blog is??

She's our modest blogger. http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> "Macuser" > wrote in message
>>>I always make a double pot of coffee and refrigerate the leftover for
>>>iced coffee. My little customizing tip is to add a dash of vanilla
>>>flavoring. I happen to have some genuine Mexican vanilla flavoring so
>>>my iced java tastes like a luxury product.

>> That vanilla does the trick, doesn't it? I figured it out one day
>> after paying a stiff price for somebody's Iced Vanilla Latte or
>> whatever. Caramel flavoring works well, too.
>>

>Hazelnut syrup is quite good in coffee too.

As is Kahlua, but I'm getting into after dinner drink territory now.

For recipes of all types go he http://www.torani.com/recipes
My favorite (nonalcoholic) combo on a cold day is simply steamed milk
flavored with vanilla Torani syrup.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SteveB" <toquerville@zionvistas> wrote :

> I drink Starbucks coffee exclusively, made through that one cup Melitta
> paper filter. Two scoops per 16 oz. of water. Kind of strong.

That's how I like mine too. Any dark arabica will do for me.

>Then Amaretto flavored creamer and sugar.

It's weird, I like hot coffee with half and half only. I went through a
phase where I drank flavored coffees in my 20s, there was one Fresh Market
sold that had a brandy flavor that I loved.

>I also like the mocha flavored Frappucinos.

I didn't try this. Isn't mocha flavor just coffee flavor? So they are coffee
flavored iced coffees??

>But they are darned expensive. I can make a palatable substitute by
>brewing my coffee, adding ingredients, then putting the mug into the fridge
>for an afternoon jolt.

Yes, that's when I like my cold coffee too. I've always had just one cup (a
big, strong one) in the morning, but the doctor recommends more caffeine as
it is good for asthma. Who knew. I had a chiropractor a long time ago who
told me that caffeine makes stuff grow on you. *shiver*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Strange time of year, maybe, but I like it. (Some time back I tried a
> Starbuck's Frappacino and liked it, but not the huge amount of sugar or
> the $ cost.)
>
> Good strong, fresh coffee with natural vanilla, sweetened and lightened to
> taste with your choice of sweetener and creamer, over ice.
>
> I use Splenda and 2% milk.
>
> I'm drinking it now, and imagine I will have one more and won't see sleepy
> time until dawn. Okay because I'm working. If it were slightly thickened
> like the Starbucks kind, it might be better, but I don't want to add crap
> to it.

I drink Starbucks coffee exclusively, made through that one cup Melitta
paper filter. Two scoops per 16 oz. of water. Kind of strong. Then
Amaretto flavored creamer and sugar. I also like the mocha flavored
Frappucinos. But they are darned expensive. I can make a palatable
substitute by brewing my coffee, adding ingredients, then putting the mug
into the fridge for an afternoon jolt.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Macuser" > wrote in message
> Stuff I got in Tijuana that's made from vanilla bean.

I really liked the last stuff I got from Tijuana too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Macuser wrote on Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:20:01 GMT:

> I always make a double pot of coffee and refrigerate the
> leftover for iced coffee. My little customizing tip is to add a dash
> of vanilla flavoring. I happen to have some genuine
> Mexican vanilla flavoring so my iced java tastes like a luxury
> product.

Strangely enough I guess, I don't much like hot tea but I quite like
iced tea and I like good caffeinated coffee but dislike iced.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote

> I drink iced coffee year round too. I like it flavored with chocolate on
> occasion and I also like Starbuck's Peppermint mocha every once in a
> while.
>
> What I usually do is brew a pot and leave it in the fridge. If I want a
> mocha iced I add some hershey's syrup to it along with half and half.
>
> When I drink it hot it is never flavored - just light/no sugar.

For me it's because the cold with milk is reminiscent of a milk shake but
with my favorite drug! (When I say "like a milk shake" I mean from the point
of view of someone who gave them up years ago as one of those way too
fattening foods.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message

> "Macuser" > wrote in message
>>I always make a double pot of coffee and refrigerate the leftover for iced
>>coffee. My little customizing tip is to add a dash of vanilla flavoring. I
>>happen to have some genuine Mexican vanilla flavoring so my iced java
>>tastes like a luxury product.

> That vanilla does the trick, doesn't it? I figured it out one day after
> paying a stiff price for somebody's Iced Vanilla Latte or whatever.
> Caramel flavoring works well, too.

That sounds fabulous. Smuckers now makes a Splenda caramel, so I could even
have it sugar free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "SteveB" <toquerville@zionvistas> wrote :
>
> > I drink Starbucks coffee exclusively, made through that one cup Melitta
> > paper filter. Two scoops per 16 oz. of water. Kind of strong.

> That's how I like mine too. Any dark arabica will do for me.
>
> >Then Amaretto flavored creamer and sugar.

> It's weird, I like hot coffee with half and half only. I went through a
> phase where I drank flavored coffees in my 20s, there was one Fresh Market
> sold that had a brandy flavor that I loved.
>
> >I also like the mocha flavored Frappucinos.

> I didn't try this. Isn't mocha flavor just coffee flavor? So they are coffee
> flavored iced coffees??

Mocha is coffee and chocolate.

> >But they are darned expensive. I can make a palatable substitute by
> >brewing my coffee, adding ingredients, then putting the mug into the fridge
> >for an afternoon jolt.
> >

> Yes, that's when I like my cold coffee too. I've always had just one cup (a
> big, strong one) in the morning, but the doctor recommends more caffeine as
> it is good for asthma. Who knew. I had a chiropractor a long time ago who
> told me that caffeine makes stuff grow on you. *shiver*

Chiropractors are quacks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> Strange time of year, maybe, but I like it. (Some time back I tried a
>> Starbuck's Frappacino and liked it, but not the huge amount of sugar or
>> the
>> $ cost.)
>>
>> Good strong, fresh coffee with natural vanilla, sweetened and lightened
>> taste with your choice of sweetener and creamer, over ice.
>>
>> I use Splenda and 2% milk.
>>
>> I'm drinking it now, and imagine I will have one more and won't see
>> sleepy
>> time until dawn. Okay because I'm working. If it were slightly thickened
>> like the Starbucks kind, it might be better, but I don't want to add crap
>> it.

> It's been interesting watching the beverage migration of iced coffee
> from the northeast (or perhaps both coasts) in to the middle of the US
> and the parallel migration of sweet tea from the south out to the
> coasts. As little as 5 years ago many folks in the south had no idea
> what iced coffee was and the same was true for sweet tea in the
> northeast.

Hmmm, I had not thought about that. Do northerners now drink iced tea year
round as we do in the south? I remember when I first came down here, I had
to remember that "tea" meant "iced tea" and if I wanted it hot I had to
order "hot tea" and if I wanted it unsweetened I had to ask for "unsweetened
tea." I just tried the starbuck's iced coffee because it was there, cold in
the cooler by the checkout, and I was dragging tail.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> Macuser wrote:
>>
>> Stuff I got in Tijuana that's made from vanilla bean. The kind you find
>> in
>> US supermarkets is artificial flavoring.

> There are a number of kinds of vanilla found in US supermarkets,
> including artificial and multiple varieties of real vanilla.

Yes. There are stores that only carry artificial. But it is still easy to
find real vanilla. Kroger has it in it's generic brand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> Mocha is coffee and chocolate.

Ahh, I see.

> Chiropractors are quacks.

Right. Ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> >
> > cybercat wrote:
> >>
> >> Strange time of year, maybe, but I like it. (Some time back I tried a
> >> Starbuck's Frappacino and liked it, but not the huge amount of sugar or
> >> the
> >> $ cost.)
> >>
> >> Good strong, fresh coffee with natural vanilla, sweetened and lightened
> >> taste with your choice of sweetener and creamer, over ice.
> >>
> >> I use Splenda and 2% milk.
> >>
> >> I'm drinking it now, and imagine I will have one more and won't see
> >> sleepy
> >> time until dawn. Okay because I'm working. If it were slightly thickened
> >> like the Starbucks kind, it might be better, but I don't want to add crap
> >> it.

> > It's been interesting watching the beverage migration of iced coffee
> > from the northeast (or perhaps both coasts) in to the middle of the US
> > and the parallel migration of sweet tea from the south out to the
> > coasts. As little as 5 years ago many folks in the south had no idea
> > what iced coffee was and the same was true for sweet tea in the
> > northeast.

> Hmmm, I had not thought about that. Do northerners now drink iced tea year
> round as we do in the south?

Northerners always drank iced tea. It think it's still pretty warm
weather only as far as home consumption goes.

> I remember when I first came down here, I had
> to remember that "tea" meant "iced tea" and if I wanted it hot I had to
> order "hot tea" and if I wanted it unsweetened I had to ask for "unsweetened
> tea." I just tried the starbuck's iced coffee because it was there, cold in
> the cooler by the checkout, and I was dragging tail.

Until fairly recently if you asked for iced coffee in southern states
they looked at you kinda cross-eyed and had no idea what you were
talking about.

Until recently in northern states if you asked for sweet tea, you got
sweetened iced tea, which of course is not the same thing as sweet tea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> > Chiropractors are quacks.

> Right. Ass.

Fact. You only have to look at the areas where they are found to see it.
Chiropractors are virtually non existent in states that are known for a
well educated population, and in those states chiropractors are only
found in the low income lower educated areas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> As is Kahlua, but I'm getting into after dinner drink territory now.

If we're talking Kahlua, iced coffee with French Vanilla Kahlua and a little
vanilla vodka, and a little half and half. Yum!

> For recipes of all types go he http://www.torani.com/recipes
> My favorite (nonalcoholic) combo on a cold day is simply steamed milk
> flavored with vanilla Torani syrup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:59:54 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>I didn't try this. Isn't mocha flavor just coffee flavor? So they are coffee
>flavored iced coffees??

Mocha is coffee with chocolate in it. They can be addictive. The one
I kept going back for was made with Hershey's syrup. I gave up hot
mochas for the same reason you gave up milkshakes.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
> >
> > > Chiropractors are quacks.

> > Right. Ass.

> Fact. You only have to look at the areas where they are found to see it.
> Chiropractors are virtually non existent in states that are known for a
> well educated population, and in those states chiropractors are only
> found in the low income lower educated areas.

Sorry, but my personal experience says differently.
Only the ignorant will not at least look at Chiropractic care instead of
letting someone cut them open for spinal surgery.

Even my Ortho' surgeon recommended it as he said surgery could correct
the structural issues but would never help with the chronic pain.

My Chiropractor has been a godsend.
And he exists in a higher income area!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:59:54 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> I didn't try this. Isn't mocha flavor just coffee flavor? So they are coffee
>> flavored iced coffees??

> Mocha is coffee with chocolate in it. They can be addictive. The one
> I kept going back for was made with Hershey's syrup. I gave up hot
> mochas for the same reason you gave up milkshakes.

I love iced coffee with hershey's syrup and half and half as a treat.
Normally I drink it without any sugar.

As for mocha - I recently learned that there is a type of bean called mocha.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"SteveB" <toquerville@zionvistas> wrote:

> I drink Starbucks coffee exclusively, made through that one cup Melitta
> paper filter. Two scoops per 16 oz. of water. Kind of strong. Then
> Amaretto flavored creamer and sugar. I also like the mocha flavored
> Frappucinos. But they are darned expensive. I can make a palatable
> substitute by brewing my coffee, adding ingredients, then putting the mug
> into the fridge for an afternoon jolt.

Believe it or not, a "cup" of coffee is made with 5 oz of water! Since
some water never makes it through, the final "cup" is even smaller.
When I was a little kid, older people drank coffee in "teacups" with
saucers. They were small, had very thin walls and didn't hold much
coffee. I hardly see anybody drink coffee now in anything other than a
mug (well, yeah, lotsa paper cups, too, and espresso sometimes is in
really tiny cups). The dinnerware we requested for our wedding had
larger cups with saucers. I think we put the saucers out in the garage.
We seldom used the cups, they were too small. We just bought new
dinnerware. There were no saucers. The mugs are substantial. I just
measured one. It holds 10 oz, with about an inch to spare to avoid
spillage. I put it in the sink and filled it up, for 13 oz.

Melitta still makes one cup filters, with no selection. However, they
don't sell filter holders for them. The standard single serving filter
cone takes a #2 filter, which is two "cups". Here's an example:

https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+0209&Cat=

[all measurements in US ounces]

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article .com>,

> > > Right. Ass.

> > Fact. You only have to look at the areas where they are found to see it.
> > Chiropractors are virtually non existent in states that are known for a
> > well educated population, and in those states chiropractors are only
> > found in the low income lower educated areas.

> Sorry, but my personal experience says differently.
> Only the ignorant will not at least look at Chiropractic care instead of
> letting someone cut them open for spinal surgery.
>
> Even my Ortho' surgeon recommended it as he said surgery could correct
> the structural issues but would never help with the chronic pain.
>
> My Chiropractor has been a godsend.
> And he exists in a higher income area!

Higher income area does not necessarily equate to higher education area.

Those of us who are well educated would not consider a chiropractor over
surgery, we would consider surgery or no surgery because we have the
education to see through the chiropractic scam. All one had to do is
look at the advertising for chiropractors in areas where they are
prevalent to see that their scams spill off into all manner of long
discredited "therapy".

If the placebo effect is working for you, and the quack chiropractor has
not actually harmed you as they do in so many cases, you're lucky.
Having spent a lot of time with trial lawyers, I can tell you that if a
chiropractor is involved in a case, it's the kiss of death for the side
of the case they are on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:36:29 -0600, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>cybercat wrote:
>>
>> > Chiropractors are quacks.

>> Right. Ass.

>Fact. You only have to look at the areas where they are found to see it.
>Chiropractors are virtually non existent in states that are known for a
>well educated population, and in those states chiropractors are only
>found in the low income lower educated areas.

Times have changed and so has the chiropractic profession, Pete. I
remember when they were a bunch of vitamin pushing quacks too, but now
I can go to one for a $10 co-pay to my HMO.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:29:50 -0500, Tracy > wrote:

>As for mocha - I recently learned that there is a type of bean called mocha.

Are you talking about the coffee bean?
http://www.ringsurf.com/online/2106-mocha.html

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete wrote on Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:06:50 -0600:

> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> In article
>> .com>,

> >> Fact. You only have to look at the areas where they are
> >> found to see it. Chiropractors are virtually non existent
> >> in states that are known for a well educated population,
> >> and in those states chiropractors are only found in the low
> >> income lower educated areas.

>> Sorry, but my personal experience says differently.
>> Only the ignorant will not at least look at Chiropractic care
>> instead of letting someone cut them open for spinal surgery.
>>
>> Even my Ortho' surgeon recommended it as he said surgery
>> could correct the structural issues but would never help with
>> the chronic pain.
>>
>> My Chiropractor has been a godsend.
>> And he exists in a higher income area!

> Higher income area does not necessarily equate to higher
> education area.

> Those of us who are well educated would not consider a
> chiropractor over surgery, we would consider surgery or no
> surgery because we have the education to see through the
> chiropractic scam. All one had to do is look at the
> advertising for chiropractors in areas where they are
> prevalent to see that their scams spill off into all manner of
> long discredited "therapy".

I don't think chiropractors are inherently quacks tho' I don't believe a
lot of the exaggerated claims nor even like the illiterate title Doctor
of Chiropractic with the license to prescribe drugs. However, the
manipulations do sometimes seem to be useful.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:36:29 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:

> >> Right. Ass.

> >Fact. You only have to look at the areas where they are found to see it.
> >Chiropractors are virtually non existent in states that are known for a
> >well educated population, and in those states chiropractors are only
> >found in the low income lower educated areas.

> Times have changed and so has the chiropractic profession, Pete. I
> remember when they were a bunch of vitamin pushing quacks too, but now
> I can go to one for a $10 co-pay to my HMO.

Coverage under an HMO in no way legitimizes them. Health insurance now
provides limited coverage for it as well as other "alternative medicine"
on the basis of public relations and possible placebo effect benefit.

As for times changing, I see a large number of advertisements for
chiropractors in the market outside of Dallas, and they still advertise
vitamins, "cleansing", and all manner of quackery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Pete wrote on Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:06:50 -0600:
>
> > Omelet wrote:
> >>
> >> In article
> >> .com>,

> >> Sorry, but my personal experience says differently.
> >> Only the ignorant will not at least look at Chiropractic care
> >> instead of letting someone cut them open for spinal surgery.
> >>
> >> Even my Ortho' surgeon recommended it as he said surgery
> >> could correct the structural issues but would never help with
> >> the chronic pain.
> >>
> >> My Chiropractor has been a godsend.
> >> And he exists in a higher income area!

> > Higher income area does not necessarily equate to higher
> > education area.

> > Those of us who are well educated would not consider a
> > chiropractor over surgery, we would consider surgery or no
> > surgery because we have the education to see through the
> > chiropractic scam. All one had to do is look at the
> > advertising for chiropractors in areas where they are
> > prevalent to see that their scams spill off into all manner of
> > long discredited "therapy".

> I don't think chiropractors are inherently quacks tho' I don't believe a
> lot of the exaggerated claims nor even like the illiterate title Doctor
> of Chiropractic with the license to prescribe drugs. However, the
> manipulations do sometimes seem to be useful.

Placebo effect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > In article .com>,

> > > Fact. You only have to look at the areas where they are found to see it.
> > > Chiropractors are virtually non existent in states that are known for a
> > > well educated population, and in those states chiropractors are only
> > > found in the low income lower educated areas.

> > Sorry, but my personal experience says differently.
> > Only the ignorant will not at least look at Chiropractic care instead of
> > letting someone cut them open for spinal surgery.
> >
> > Even my Ortho' surgeon recommended it as he said surgery could correct
> > the structural issues but would never help with the chronic pain.
> >
> > My Chiropractor has been a godsend.
> > And he exists in a higher income area!

> Higher income area does not necessarily equate to higher education area.
>
> Those of us who are well educated would not consider a chiropractor over
> surgery, we would consider surgery or no surgery because we have the
> education to see through the chiropractic scam. All one had to do is
> look at the advertising for chiropractors in areas where they are
> prevalent to see that their scams spill off into all manner of long
> discredited "therapy".
>
> If the placebo effect is working for you, and the quack chiropractor has
> not actually harmed you as they do in so many cases, you're lucky.
> Having spent a lot of time with trial lawyers, I can tell you that if a
> chiropractor is involved in a case, it's the kiss of death for the side
> of the case they are on.

I feel sorry for you Pete.

Chiropractic care is not palliative.

YMMV.

I have a serious problem and he's reduced the pain load considerably.

And it was increasing/getting worse before I went to see him:

http://www.stampschiropractic.com/

The trick is finding a GOOD Chiropractor. Like MD's, some are indeed
quacks and they can give the entire industry a bad name! I think I know
more crappy MD's than I know bad Chiro's, but I work in the health care
industry. Many MD's scare the living hell out of me.

And some are alcoholics or drug addicts.

I did a considerable amount of research before choosing one and got
references. The one I chose is most excellent and knows what the hell he
is doing.

He ain't no placebo. ;-)

Like I said, even my Ortho' surgeon (MD) recommended him. The guy has a
seriously good reputation in the area.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:36:29 -0600, "Pete C." >
> > wrote:

> > >Fact. You only have to look at the areas where they are found to see it.
> > >Chiropractors are virtually non existent in states that are known for a
> > >well educated population, and in those states chiropractors are only
> > >found in the low income lower educated areas.

> > Times have changed and so has the chiropractic profession, Pete. I
> > remember when they were a bunch of vitamin pushing quacks too, but now
> > I can go to one for a $10 co-pay to my HMO.

> Coverage under an HMO in no way legitimizes them. Health insurance now
> provides limited coverage for it as well as other "alternative medicine"
> on the basis of public relations and possible placebo effect benefit.
>
> As for times changing, I see a large number of advertisements for
> chiropractors in the market outside of Dallas, and they still advertise
> vitamins, "cleansing", and all manner of quackery.

You do have to be selective.
That I will admit. :-)

I was VERY selective...
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Iced coffee strategy: yours? Kalmia General Cooking 23 02-06-2012 06:55 AM
!!!...Iced Coffee...!!! Gregory Morrow[_168_] General Cooking 5 09-02-2009 08:52 PM
Iced coffee? DougW Coffee 3 22-08-2005 12:43 PM
Instruction for Vietnamese iced coffee with Vietnamese ground coffee (Cafe Sua Da) coffeelover General Cooking 5 08-06-2005 03:30 AM
thai iced coffee thaitotos Asian Cooking 0 11-10-2003 08:50 AM