Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING: Victor Sack

Victor, I've come into some spare cabbage and
Bell Peppers. When I was in BudaPest, I ate
cabbage stuffed apple-peppers at the Central
Market (with a Dreher, or maybe two).

Can't get apple-peppers here, but I know the
bells can substitute.

In your opinion, what is the proper mix on
the brine to cure these? right now I'm thinking
1 qt Rice Vinegar, 2 Qt clean water, 1 cup sea salt.
Does that seem right to you?

TIA

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker > wrote:

> Victor, I've come into some spare cabbage and
> Bell Peppers. When I was in BudaPest, I ate
> cabbage stuffed apple-peppers at the Central
> Market (with a Dreher, or maybe two).
>
> Can't get apple-peppers here, but I know the
> bells can substitute.
>
> In your opinion, what is the proper mix on
> the brine to cure these? right now I'm thinking
> 1 qt Rice Vinegar, 2 Qt clean water, 1 cup sea salt.
> Does that seem right to you?

I have never made something like that, but yours seems to be a plausible
recipe. I cannot find a recipe with specifically apple peppers to make
specifically káposztával töltött almapaprika, but Hungarian recipes for
pickled/marinated paprika, perhaps stuffed with something, mostly appear
to use (white) wine vinegar and an equal amount of water. Some even
call for more vinegar than water. Also, beside salt some appear to
include some pepper, too. If you like it somewhat less pungent, your
recipe would work just fine, I'd guess.

Not much of help, am I?

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chemiker > wrote:

> Victor, I've come into some spare cabbage and
> Bell Peppers. When I was in BudaPest, I ate
> cabbage stuffed apple-peppers at the Central
> Market (with a Dreher, or maybe two).
>
> Can't get apple-peppers here, but I know the
> bells can substitute.
>
> In your opinion, what is the proper mix on
> the brine to cure these? right now I'm thinking
> 1 qt Rice Vinegar, 2 Qt clean water, 1 cup sea salt.
> Does that seem right to you?
>
> TIA
>
> Alex

My mom used to put these up; I've checked several preserving books but
am coming up cold.

I'm not Victor, but I found this at cooks.com. You might ask at
rec.food.preserving--I think it's been discussed there (though not
recently) or, if you search, consider the term "stuffed mangoes." I've
heard them called that because of some resemblance of a partially ripe
green pepper to a mango. Good luck in the hunt. :-)

STUFFED MANGOES

Mangoes ( In some quarters, this seems to be another name for peppers.)
Shredded cabbage
Celery seed
3 c. vinegar
2 c. water
4 c. sugar
2 tbsp. mixed pickling spices

Cut tops from mangoes and remove seeds; save the tops. Shred cabbage and
to each quart of cabbage and to each quart of cabbage add 1/4 teaspoon
celery seed. Place cabbage in peppers and fasten tops back on the
mangoes with toothpicks. Pack in jars and cover with boiling vinegar
mixture. Seal. Mangoes will keep in open jar. This vinegar mixture is
equally good over cooked tender beets.

There's no processing information provided; I don't know what to tell
you about that.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chemiker > wrote:

> Victor, I've come into some spare cabbage and
> Bell Peppers. When I was in BudaPest, I ate
> cabbage stuffed apple-peppers at the Central
> Market (with a Dreher, or maybe two).
>
> Can't get apple-peppers here, but I know the
> bells can substitute.
>
> In your opinion, what is the proper mix on
> the brine to cure these? right now I'm thinking
> 1 qt Rice Vinegar, 2 Qt clean water, 1 cup sea salt.
> Does that seem right to you?
>
> TIA
>
> Alex

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...uffing,FF.html

Look also at nos. 4 and 7 on that page (assuming it doesn't change) :-/
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
learn much about grace from Amy and Warren.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:13:40 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Chemiker > wrote:

>My mom used to put these up; I've checked several preserving books but
>am coming up cold.
>
>I'm not Victor, but I found this at cooks.com. You might ask at
>rec.food.preserving--I think it's been discussed there (though not
>recently) or, if you search, consider the term "stuffed mangoes." I've
>heard them called that because of some resemblance of a partially ripe
>green pepper to a mango. Good luck in the hunt. :-)
>
>STUFFED MANGOES

Wonderful! I had forgotten about mangoes. Wife has a replica copy of
the Sweet Home Cook Book that describes these. (1888) The term
referred to melons, peaches, cucumbers and peppers, stuffed with a
mixture called higdon. That recipe calls for straight "sharp vinegar".
From your recipe and references, it looks like I have a little
wiggle room on the ratio, although it looks like most call for a
stronger mixture than I had in mind. Also, it looks like the
accepted method including pre-soaking the "mangoes" in salt
water and/or alum solution.

BTW: Your recipe #7 at cooks.com is pretty much what
I'll be making.

Thanks to both you and Victor.