Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chemiker Chemiker is offline

Default PING: Victor Sack

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:13:40 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Chemiker > wrote:

>My mom used to put these up; I've checked several preserving books but
>am coming up cold.
>
>I'm not Victor, but I found this at cooks.com. You might ask at
>rec.food.preserving--I think it's been discussed there (though not
>recently) or, if you search, consider the term "stuffed mangoes." I've
>heard them called that because of some resemblance of a partially ripe
>green pepper to a mango. Good luck in the hunt. :-)
>
>STUFFED MANGOES

Wonderful! I had forgotten about mangoes. Wife has a replica copy of
the Sweet Home Cook Book that describes these. (1888) The term
referred to melons, peaches, cucumbers and peppers, stuffed with a
mixture called higdon. That recipe calls for straight "sharp vinegar".
From your recipe and references, it looks like I have a little
wiggle room on the ratio, although it looks like most call for a
stronger mixture than I had in mind. Also, it looks like the
accepted method including pre-soaking the "mangoes" in salt
water and/or alum solution.

BTW: Your recipe #7 at cooks.com is pretty much what
I'll be making.

Thanks to both you and Victor.