limey

Default PING: Victor Sack - Rotkohl mit Apfein

Victor, I made your recipe today. I had never eaten red cabbage before but
it was absolutely delicious. You've made a convert! Many thanks.

Dora

* Exported from MasterCook *

Red Cabbage with Apples (Rotkohl mit Apfein)

Recipe By :Victor Sack, 9/5/2001
Serving Size : 4

2 to 2 1/2-pound red cabbage
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons lard or bacon fat
2 medium-sized cooking apples -- peeled, cored and
cut into 1/8-inch-thick
wedges
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 whole onion -- peeled and pierced
with 2 whole cloves
1 small bay leaf
5 cups boiling water
3 tablespoons dry red wine
3 tablespoons red currant jelly (optional)

Wash the head of cabbage under cold running water, remove the tough
outer leaves, and cut the cabbage into quarters. To shred the cabbage,
cut out the core and slice the quarters crosswise into 1/8-inch-wide
strips.
Drop the cabbage into a large mixing bowl, sprinkle it with the
vinegar, sugar and salt, then toss the shreds about with a spoon to coat
them evenly with the mixture. In a heavy 4- to 5 quart casserole, melt
the lard or bacon fat over moderate heat. Add the apples and chopped
onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until the apples
are lightly browned. Add the cabbage, the whole onion with cloves, and
the bay leaf; stir thoroughly and pour in the boiling water. Bring to a
boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, and reduce the heat to its
lowest possible point. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until
the cabbage is tender. Check from time to time to make sure that the
cabbage is moist. If it seems dry, add a tablespoon of boiling water.
When the cabbage is done, there should be almost no liquid left in the
casserole. Just before serving remove the onion and the bay leaf, and
stir in the wine and the currant jelly. Taste for seasoning, then
transfer the entire contents of the casserole to a heated platter or
bowl and serve.

Source:
""The Cooking of Germany", Time/Life Series of the World"

aem

limey wrote:
> Victor, I made your recipe today. I had never eaten red cabbage

before but
> it was absolutely delicious. You've made a convert! Many thanks.
> [snip]

> Red Cabbage with Apples (Rotkohl mit Apfein)
>
> Recipe By :Victor Sack, 9/5/2001

[snip recipe]

Wow, this looks great. Immediately into the Save pile. Now does
someone have a good sauerbraten recipe to go with it? The dark beer I
can find for myself.

-aem

Jean B.

limey wrote:

> Victor, I made your recipe today. I had never eaten red cabbage before but
> it was absolutely delicious. You've made a convert! Many thanks.
>
> Dora
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Red Cabbage with Apples (Rotkohl mit Apfein)
>
> Recipe By :Victor Sack, 9/5/2001
> Serving Size : 4
>
> 2 to 2 1/2-pound red cabbage
> 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 2 teaspoons salt
> 2 tablespoons lard or bacon fat
> 2 medium-sized cooking apples -- peeled, cored and
> cut into 1/8-inch-thick
> wedges
> 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
> 1 whole onion -- peeled and pierced
> with 2 whole cloves
> 1 small bay leaf
> 5 cups boiling water
> 3 tablespoons dry red wine
> 3 tablespoons red currant jelly (optional)
>
> Wash the head of cabbage under cold running water, remove the tough
> outer leaves, and cut the cabbage into quarters. To shred the cabbage,
> cut out the core and slice the quarters crosswise into 1/8-inch-wide
> strips.
> Drop the cabbage into a large mixing bowl, sprinkle it with the
> vinegar, sugar and salt, then toss the shreds about with a spoon to coat
> them evenly with the mixture. In a heavy 4- to 5 quart casserole, melt
> the lard or bacon fat over moderate heat. Add the apples and chopped
> onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until the apples
> are lightly browned. Add the cabbage, the whole onion with cloves, and
> the bay leaf; stir thoroughly and pour in the boiling water. Bring to a
> boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, and reduce the heat to its
> lowest possible point. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until
> the cabbage is tender. Check from time to time to make sure that the
> cabbage is moist. If it seems dry, add a tablespoon of boiling water.
> When the cabbage is done, there should be almost no liquid left in the
> casserole. Just before serving remove the onion and the bay leaf, and
> stir in the wine and the currant jelly. Taste for seasoning, then
> transfer the entire contents of the casserole to a heated platter or
> bowl and serve.
>
> Source:
> ""The Cooking of Germany", Time/Life Series of the World"

This must be the basis for my recipe too. I sometimes throw in a
handful of cranberries too.........

--
Jean B.
Victor Sack

limey > wrote:

> Victor, I made your recipe today. I had never eaten red cabbage before but
> it was absolutely delicious. You've made a convert! Many thanks.

> Red Cabbage with Apples (Rotkohl mit Apfein)
> Source:
> ""The Cooking of Germany", Time/Life Series of the World"

Glad you liked it. It's not my recipe - I just posted it. I'm not all
that fond of red cabbage myself, but it is a traditional accompaniment
to and indeed goes very well with roast goose. I don't even remember
when I last had roast goose without some red cabbage on the side.

Victor
Curly Sue

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:31:25 -0500, "limey" >
wrote:

>Victor, I made your recipe today. I had never eaten red cabbage before but
>it was absolutely delicious. You've made a convert! Many thanks.
>
>Dora

A couple of years ago, the lunchroom at work used to have red cabbage
and apples on the salad bar quite often. I loved the stuff and
figured it was fairly low in calories. I made sure I got a nice big
helping when it appeared. The German lady who made it (and I've
forgotten her name) was happy to tell me how she did so, but used
vague terms like "a little butter."

The following year, I noticed it was never there (except occasionally
the commercial version) and asked when she was going to make it again.
She told me to ask the manager. When I did so, the manager shrugged
and indicated maybe soon, but then she blurted out "Do you know *how
much* butter she puts in the recipe? My grandmother used to make red
cabbage & apples and she didn't use anywhere near as much butter!"

No wonder it was so good :> So much for "diet food!"

Anyway, the German lady retired, the German granddaughter is assigned
to another cafeteria, and the manager now is Latina. No more red
cabbage & apples.

Sue(tm)