Ivan Weiss

Default Smoked turkey

I had to clear some freezer space for ice cream, so since my daughter is
here for the week, I decided to smoke this 18-pound turkey I had snagged for
$.39/lb on sale at the Thriftway last year.

I used the Fat Man's brine, with a couple changes. Instead of chile powder,
I used my ground chipotle/habanero 50/50 mix. That meant I didn't have to
add the Dave's Insanity sauce. Instead of 3 TBS of Garlic powder, I used 2
TBS garlic powder and 1 TB of fresh pureed garlic. Instead of the dried
sage, I used fresh sage, pureed, and doubled it. Other than that it was the
same brine. That's a great brine, folks.

I brined the bird for 3 days and 2 nights, and put it on the Kamado at 6
this morning, over lump and apple. A lot of my lump *is* apple. Eleven hours
at 200-250 and it was perfect, moist and juicy inside, and tasted like candy
(HEY! This is a family NG, OK, so knock it off!)

I served it up with brown rice/wild rice, homemade apple chutney (Ball Blue
Book recipe), and some broccoli. Plenty turkey left over for sandwiches,
maybe a couple pans of enchiladas, and maybe a pot of gumbo. Shit! There
went my freezer space again!

No big deal, though. I have a couple salmon in there that could use some
smoke. Gotta make room for that ice cream.
--
Ivan Weiss "Bush, Bush, where's my job?"
Vashon WA Gone to feed your greedy mob!"

Reg

Ivan Weiss wrote:

> I served it up with brown rice/wild rice, homemade apple chutney (Ball Blue
> Book recipe), and some broccoli. Plenty turkey left over for sandwiches,
> maybe a couple pans of enchiladas, and maybe a pot of gumbo. Shit! There
> went my freezer space again!

Sounds great, Ivan. I like to do a lot with turkey too. At that price
it's such a great value. I either smoke it like you did or sometimes
I bone it out and make turkey sausage.

One question: how did the skin come out? Was it crispy enough for you?
Just curious.

Ivan Weiss

"Reg" > wrote in message
. com...
> Ivan Weiss wrote:
>
> > I served it up with brown rice/wild rice, homemade apple chutney (Ball

Blue
> > Book recipe), and some broccoli. Plenty turkey left over for sandwiches,
> > maybe a couple pans of enchiladas, and maybe a pot of gumbo. Shit! There
> > went my freezer space again!

> Sounds great, Ivan. I like to do a lot with turkey too. At that price
> it's such a great value. I either smoke it like you did or sometimes
> I bone it out and make turkey sausage.
>
> One question: how did the skin come out? Was it crispy enough for you?
> Just curious.

Crispy on top, softer on the bottom. Very tasty. As advertised.

I meant two days and two nights for the brine, not three days and two
nights.
--
Ivan Weiss "Bush, Bush, where's my job?"
Vashon WA Gone to feed your greedy mob!"
-- The Mugwump campaign, 2004

Craig Watts

>I served it up with brown rice/wild rice, homemade apple chutney (Ball Blue
>Book recipe), and some broccoli. Plenty turkey left over for sandwiches,
>maybe a couple pans of enchiladas, and maybe a pot of gumbo. Shit! There
>went my freezer space again!

<snip>

leftover smoked turkey

FWIW - I was being creative about three days after a smoked turkey. I
decided to make a green been casserole with left over smoked turkey,
can o' corn and diced white potatoes out of the can. Hey, thats what
was in my cupboard

Anyhow, the smoked turkey smell wafed through the kitchen shortly into
the cook cycle. It really is good and I cook it on a regular basis
during the fall cool days. Give it a try.
Louis Cohen

I don't usually brine that long, but it sounds nice.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Ivan Weiss" > wrote in message
> I had to clear some freezer space for ice cream, so since my daughter is
> here for the week, I decided to smoke this 18-pound turkey I had snagged

for
> $.39/lb on sale at the Thriftway last year.
>
> I used the Fat Man's brine, with a couple changes. Instead of chile

powder,
> I used my ground chipotle/habanero 50/50 mix. That meant I didn't have to
> add the Dave's Insanity sauce. Instead of 3 TBS of Garlic powder, I used 2
> TBS garlic powder and 1 TB of fresh pureed garlic. Instead of the dried
> sage, I used fresh sage, pureed, and doubled it. Other than that it was

the
> same brine. That's a great brine, folks.
>
> I brined the bird for 3 days and 2 nights, and put it on the Kamado at 6
> this morning, over lump and apple. A lot of my lump *is* apple. Eleven

hours
> at 200-250 and it was perfect, moist and juicy inside, and tasted like

candy
> (HEY! This is a family NG, OK, so knock it off!)
>
> I served it up with brown rice/wild rice, homemade apple chutney (Ball

Blue
> Book recipe), and some broccoli. Plenty turkey left over for sandwiches,
> maybe a couple pans of enchiladas, and maybe a pot of gumbo. Shit! There
> went my freezer space again!
>
> No big deal, though. I have a couple salmon in there that could use some
> smoke. Gotta make room for that ice cream.
> --
> Ivan Weiss "Bush, Bush, where's my job?"
> Vashon WA Gone to feed your greedy mob!"
> -- The Mugwump campaign, 2004

Smoked turkey ............ so - so Steve B[_13_] Barbecue 23 04-04-2012 11:42 PM
Smoked Turkey aem General Cooking 10 02-12-2008 04:17 PM
Smoked Turkey [email protected] Barbecue 11 15-08-2006 01:39 AM
Smoked Turkey Dimitri General Cooking 8 14-12-2005 12:45 AM