Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smoked Turkey

Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey. I have
been looking at some brine recipies and am thinking of doing one with
honey in it. Can anybody give me some recomendations on a good brine
recipie and what wood to use. Also any pointers with smoking a turkey
would be aperciated.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10 Aug 2006 16:43:13 -0700, wrote:

> Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey. I have
> been looking at some brine recipies and am thinking of doing one with
> honey in it. Can anybody give me some recomendations on a good brine
> recipie and what wood to use. Also any pointers with smoking a turkey
> would be aperciated.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...rch+this+group

Not tryin to be a smartass, but google IS your friend. Googling this group
on a subject turns up alot of good info.Also, if you say what your smoking
with, someone with a similar smoker can give more specific advice. Good
luck!

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey. I have
> been looking at some brine recipies and am thinking of doing one with
> honey in it. Can anybody give me some recomendations on a good brine
> recipie and what wood to use. Also any pointers with smoking a turkey
> would be aperciated.

Ever thought of injecting the bird, rather than brining? We use a mix of
butter, honey and garlic and inject the heck out of the turkey - stab it
everywhere. It makes the bird juicy and in the places you inserted the
needle, you get pockets of buttery, honey-garlic goodness. The juice
disperses into the meat very well, but at the actual entry point of the
needle, it's more concentrated.

We usually smoke ours with hickory and it takes about 4.5 - 5 hours or so.
Well, as everyone knows, it's done when it's done.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kilikini wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey. I have
> > been looking at some brine recipies and am thinking of doing one with
> > honey in it. Can anybody give me some recomendations on a good brine
> > recipie and what wood to use. Also any pointers with smoking a turkey
> > would be aperciated.
> >

> Ever thought of injecting the bird, rather than brining? We use a mix of
> butter, honey and garlic and inject the heck out of the turkey - stab it
> everywhere. It makes the bird juicy and in the places you inserted the
> needle, you get pockets of buttery, honey-garlic goodness. The juice
> disperses into the meat very well, but at the actual entry point of the
> needle, it's more concentrated.
>
> We usually smoke ours with hickory and it takes about 4.5 - 5 hours or so.
> Well, as everyone knows, it's done when it's done.
>
> kili

How much Butter, Honey and Garlic?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
ps.com...

> kilikini wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > > Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey. I have
> > > been looking at some brine recipies and am thinking of doing one with
> > > honey in it. Can anybody give me some recomendations on a good brine
> > > recipie and what wood to use. Also any pointers with smoking a turkey
> > > would be aperciated.
> > >

> > Ever thought of injecting the bird, rather than brining? We use a mix

of
> > butter, honey and garlic and inject the heck out of the turkey - stab it
> > everywhere. It makes the bird juicy and in the places you inserted the
> > needle, you get pockets of buttery, honey-garlic goodness. The juice
> > disperses into the meat very well, but at the actual entry point of the
> > needle, it's more concentrated.
> >
> > We usually smoke ours with hickory and it takes about 4.5 - 5 hours or

so.
> > Well, as everyone knows, it's done when it's done.
> >
> > kili

> How much Butter, Honey and Garlic?

We usually use a full stick of butter, maybe 1/3 cup of honey and a good
shake of garlic powder. As much garlic as you want. We nuke the mess to
combine - it can and WILL boil over, watch it closely, and then inject the
bird all over the place. Make sure you get deep into the breast meat. Give
it a shot; we really enjoy it.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey. I have
> been looking at some brine recipies and am thinking of doing one with
> honey in it. Can anybody give me some recomendations on a good brine
> recipie and what wood to use. Also any pointers with smoking a turkey
> would be aperciated.

Ya can't beat Hound's or TFM's brines.

Hound's Brine

2 gal water

2 cups kosher salt

3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed

1 each juice of 3 oranges

1 each juice of 3 limes

1 each juice of 3 lemons

1 each rinds from oranges, limes and lemon; s

1 sliced white onion

1 head of garlic, crushed

1 bunch of cilantro, chopped

4 serranos to taste

2 tbs rough ground cumin

2 tbs rough ground coriander

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup chili powder

1/4 cup onion powder

1/4 cup garlic powder

Either way, soak bird for at least a day as much as 3. I use a Gott 5 gal
bev cooler. Use an 8 lb bag of ice in place of 1 gal water. Place only
aromatics in cavity...bay leaves, garlic heads, apples, citrus, rosemary
stems. I like to place orange slices between skin and meat. Smoke ass end
towards fire for 45 minutes/lb @ 225. You can rotate as charring
necessitates. This will result in inedible skin. If you like skin, cook @
300ish. A bigger bird is a higher bird which means the top of the bird will
cook at a higher temp. Keep this in mind. Your first bird should be a 14
lber.

TFM's Brine

1 gal water

5/8 cups pickling salt.

1 1/2 tbs light brown sugar

1 1/2 tbs garlic powder

1/2 tbs chili powder

1/2 tbs ground sage

1 tbs crushed red pepper

1/2 tbs fresh black pepper

2 whole bay leaves

1/2 tbs old bay seasoning

1 tbs italian seasoning

Combine all the ingredients in a stock pot. Bring to a boil, turn heat down
to a simmer. Simmer and stir frequently until all the ingredients are
dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature before immersing the meat. Use
for 2 chickens

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10-Aug-2006, wrote:

> Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey. I have
> been looking at some brine recipies and am thinking of doing one with
> honey in it. Can anybody give me some recomendations on a good brine
> recipie and what wood to use. Also any pointers with smoking a turkey
> would be aperciated.

Go here;

http://www.newsbackup.com/about217925.html

and you'll find the recipe for Hound's (Cuchelain Libby) brine. I use it
whenever I brine.

Or go here for The Fatman's Chicken Kicking Brine;

http://www.recipejungle.com/recipe-00130522.html

Google is your friend. I found these links by googling
TFM Brine.

--
Brick(Found a motor..Trying to get it started.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DavidG-" > wrote in message
.. .
> On 10 Aug 2006 16:43:13 -0700, wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey. I have
>> been looking at some brine recipies and am thinking of doing one with
>> honey in it. Can anybody give me some recomendations on a good brine
>> recipie and what wood to use. Also any pointers with smoking a turkey
>> would be aperciated.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...rch+this+group

> Not tryin to be a smartass, but google IS your friend. Googling this group
> on a subject turns up alot of good info.Also, if you say what your smoking
> with, someone with a similar smoker can give more specific advice. Good
> luck!

This is a NG where questions are asked; "what do you do today, and how do
you do it?" Almost all with a question looming have been to google. It's not
the same as reading what's important right now.

BTW, you are an inferior orifice, though not a particularly smart one. How
about "average inferior orifice"?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 22:25:23 -0700, Kent wrote:

> "DavidG-" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> On 10 Aug 2006 16:43:13 -0700, wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey. I have
>>> been looking at some brine recipies and am thinking of doing one with
>>> honey in it. Can anybody give me some recomendations on a good brine
>>> recipie and what wood to use. Also any pointers with smoking a turkey
>>> would be aperciated.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...rch+this+group

>> Not tryin to be a smartass, but google IS your friend. Googling this group
>> on a subject turns up alot of good info.Also, if you say what your smoking
>> with, someone with a similar smoker can give more specific advice. Good
>> luck!

> This is a NG where questions are asked; "what do you do today, and how do
> you do it?" Almost all with a question looming have been to google. It's not
> the same as reading what's important right now.
>
> BTW, you are an inferior orifice, though not a particularly smart one. How
> about "average inferior orifice"?

So Mr. ....Did you brine that turkey? How did it
come out? I would have given you more specific advice, but I haven't brined
a turkey before...Don't mind Kent...he's a bit of a lunatic, but he is
harmless, as long as you don't try any of his cooking methods (food
poisoning...).
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DavidG-" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 22:25:23 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> "DavidG-" > wrote in message
>> .. .

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...rch+this+group

>>> Not tryin to be a smartass, but google IS your friend. Googling this
>>> group
>>> on a subject turns up alot of good info.Also, if you say what your
>>> smoking
>>> with, someone with a similar smoker can give more specific advice. Good
>>> luck!

>> This is a NG where questions are asked; "what do you do today, and how
>> do
>> you do it?" Almost all with a question looming have been to google. It's
>> not
>> the same as reading what's important right now.
>>
>> BTW, you are an inferior orifice, though not a particularly smart one.
>> How
>> about "average inferior orifice"?

> So Mr. ....Did you brine that turkey? How did it
> come out? I would have given you more specific advice, but I haven't
> brined
> a turkey before...Don't mind Kent...he's a bit of a lunatic, but he is
> harmless, as long as you don't try any of his cooking methods (food
> poisoning...).

I've brined many turkeys for many years, in my garage. The single most
important aspect of brining is the ratio of salt to volume, and to a lesser
degree sugar to volume. All other seasonings are a matter of personal
preference. Fat Man's and Hound's brine, as mentioned in Frohe's post, are
excellent brines, With turkey you should be less assertive with strong,
highly peppered seasonings or you won't taste the turkey.
Regarding the garage technique, the turkey goes into cold water in a picnic
cooler along with some ice at 9PM. At 9AM the water temp. is 35-35F. At some
time point following the turkey is smoke cooked. The turkey is never
stuffed! You'd be asking for trouble. We haven't stuffed a turkey for many
years, following Julia Child's advice. You should always make turkey stock
with the leftover turkey, and save it for the next turkey. Part of the stock
is then used to make gravy. Part of the stock is used in a stuffing cooked
separately on the side. To make the stuffing communicate with higher powers
I add some porcini mushrooms, along with whatever else. Turkey liver is much
more delicate than chicken liver and works well in stuffing.
Hope this helps.
Kent

Smoked turkey ............ so - so Steve B[_13_] Barbecue 23 04-04-2012 11:42 PM
Smoked Turkey aem General Cooking 10 02-12-2008 04:17 PM
Smoked Turkey Dimitri General Cooking 8 14-12-2005 12:45 AM
Smoked turkey Ivan Weiss Barbecue 4 10-04-2004 08:35 PM