Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default That half whole wheat pizza dough in the fridge.

So, I took a look at it this morning and it hasn't risen very much. It
is no way near where an all ap flour dough would be. Maybe half as high?

This is with two days in the fridge.
I was planning on taking it out of the fridge - maybe punching it down
and letting it rise on the counter for an hour or so.

Sound good?

I am going to make a fresh tomato, feta cheese and black olive pizza.
The DH will want tomato sauce, mozzarella and anchovy and maybe black
olives too.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:32:40 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>So, I took a look at it this morning and it hasn't risen very much. It
>is no way near where an all ap flour dough would be. Maybe half as high?
>
>This is with two days in the fridge.
>I was planning on taking it out of the fridge - maybe punching it down
>and letting it rise on the counter for an hour or so.

When you made it, did you let it sit out for a bit before you
refrigerated it? That's what I do, to give the yeast a head start. I
think I let mine sit out for an hour or so...then put it in the
fridge. And I have to keep on punching it down after that...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:32:40 -0400, Tracy > wrote:
>
>> So, I took a look at it this morning and it hasn't risen very much. It
>> is no way near where an all ap flour dough would be. Maybe half as high?
>>
>> This is with two days in the fridge.
>> I was planning on taking it out of the fridge - maybe punching it down
>> and letting it rise on the counter for an hour or so.

> When you made it, did you let it sit out for a bit before you
> refrigerated it? That's what I do, to give the yeast a head start. I
> think I let mine sit out for an hour or so...then put it in the
> fridge. And I have to keep on punching it down after that...
>
> Christine

Nope, I just stuck it in the fridge. I don't think it's a loss, yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:49:25 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:32:40 -0400, Tracy > wrote:
>>
>>> So, I took a look at it this morning and it hasn't risen very much. It
>>> is no way near where an all ap flour dough would be. Maybe half as high?
>>>
>>> This is with two days in the fridge.
>>> I was planning on taking it out of the fridge - maybe punching it down
>>> and letting it rise on the counter for an hour or so.

>> When you made it, did you let it sit out for a bit before you
>> refrigerated it? That's what I do, to give the yeast a head start. I
>> think I let mine sit out for an hour or so...then put it in the
>> fridge. And I have to keep on punching it down after that...
>>
>> Christine

>Nope, I just stuck it in the fridge. I don't think it's a loss, yet.

Try the microwave at 10% for a few minutes. Put a cup of water in
there with it if you're not sure of your microwaves power.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:49:25 -0400, Tracy > wrote:
>
>> Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> When you made it, did you let it sit out for a bit before you
>>> refrigerated it? That's what I do, to give the yeast a head start. I
>>> think I let mine sit out for an hour or so...then put it in the
>>> fridge. And I have to keep on punching it down after that...
>>>
>>> Christine

>> Nope, I just stuck it in the fridge. I don't think it's a loss, yet.

> Try the microwave at 10% for a few minutes. Put a cup of water in
> there with it if you're not sure of your microwaves power.
>
> Lou

I could try that....straight from the fridge?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:01:00 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> Nope, I just stuck it in the fridge. I don't think it's a loss, yet.

>> Try the microwave at 10% for a few minutes. Put a cup of water in
>> there with it if you're not sure of your microwaves power.
>>
>> Lou
>>

>I could try that....straight from the fridge?

Sure. I assumed you had it out already and it wasn't warming up fast
enough.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> Christine Dabney wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:32:40 -0400, Tracy > wrote:
> >
> >> So, I took a look at it this morning and it hasn't risen very much. It
> >> is no way near where an all ap flour dough would be. Maybe half as high?
> >>
> >> This is with two days in the fridge.
> >> I was planning on taking it out of the fridge - maybe punching it down
> >> and letting it rise on the counter for an hour or so.

> > When you made it, did you let it sit out for a bit before you
> > refrigerated it? That's what I do, to give the yeast a head start. I
> > think I let mine sit out for an hour or so...then put it in the
> > fridge. And I have to keep on punching it down after that...
> >
> > Christine

> Nope, I just stuck it in the fridge. I don't think it's a loss, yet.

It isn't. Just needs the warming as you mentioned. We leave yeast
'starters' in the fridge for days at a time and work it up when
convenient.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Tracy wrote:
>> Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> When you made it, did you let it sit out for a bit before you
>>> refrigerated it? That's what I do, to give the yeast a head start. I
>>> think I let mine sit out for an hour or so...then put it in the
>>> fridge. And I have to keep on punching it down after that...
>>>
>>> Christine

>> Nope, I just stuck it in the fridge. I don't think it's a loss, yet.

> It isn't. Just needs the warming as you mentioned. We leave yeast
> 'starters' in the fridge for days at a time and work it up when
> convenient.

It ended up tasting pretty good - for a half whole wheat dough. A little
on the tough side of chewy but definitely not "short" which is the only
way I can think of to describe ww dough that has not risen in the fridge
overnight or rather 2 nights.

Next time, I will make the dough and let it sit for a bit before I put
it in the fridge and see if there is any difference.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
> Arri London wrote:
>>
>> Tracy wrote:

>>> Nope, I just stuck it in the fridge. I don't think it's a loss, yet.

>> It isn't. Just needs the warming as you mentioned. We leave yeast
>> 'starters' in the fridge for days at a time and work it up when
>> convenient.

> It ended up tasting pretty good - for a half whole wheat dough. A little
> on the tough side of chewy but definitely not "short" which is the only
> way I can think of to describe ww dough that has not risen in the fridge
> overnight or rather 2 nights.
>
> Next time, I will make the dough and let it sit for a bit before I put it
> in the fridge and see if there is any difference.

I'm following your experiments with interest ... thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> >
> > Tracy wrote:

<snip>

> >> Nope, I just stuck it in the fridge. I don't think it's a loss, yet.

> > It isn't. Just needs the warming as you mentioned. We leave yeast
> > 'starters' in the fridge for days at a time and work it up when
> > convenient.

> It ended up tasting pretty good - for a half whole wheat dough. A little
> on the tough side of chewy but definitely not "short" which is the only
> way I can think of to describe ww dough that has not risen in the fridge
> overnight or rather 2 nights.
>
> Next time, I will make the dough and let it sit for a bit before I put
> it in the fridge and see if there is any difference.
>
> -Tracy

Try a little more olive oil in the dough to relieve the toughness. It
should be a little on the soft side before baking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Tracy wrote:
>>
>> Arri London wrote:
>> >
>> > Tracy wrote:

> <snip>

>> > It isn't. Just needs the warming as you mentioned. We leave yeast
>> > 'starters' in the fridge for days at a time and work it up when
>> > convenient.

>> It ended up tasting pretty good - for a half whole wheat dough. A little
>> on the tough side of chewy but definitely not "short" which is the only
>> way I can think of to describe ww dough that has not risen in the fridge
>> overnight or rather 2 nights.
>>
>> Next time, I will make the dough and let it sit for a bit before I put
>> it in the fridge and see if there is any difference.
>>
>> -Tracy

> Try a little more olive oil in the dough to relieve the toughness. It
> should be a little on the soft side before baking.

All good info, thanks.