Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How long will pizza dough last in the fridge?

Publix started selling pizza dough that's actually quit good... thing
is I rolls out so large I can only eat half. How long will the rest of
the dough last in the fridge in a bowl covered with plastic wrap?

~john

Posted to rec.food.cooking

btw.. dough as in from the bakery, fresh.

~john

levelwave wrote:
> Publix started selling pizza dough that's actually quit good... thing
> is I rolls out so large I can only eat half. How long will the rest of
> the dough last in the fridge in a bowl covered with plastic wrap?
>
> ~john

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"levelwave" > wrote

> Publix started selling pizza dough that's actually quit good... thing
> is I rolls out so large I can only eat half. How long will the rest of
> the dough last in the fridge in a bowl covered with plastic wrap?

Not too long, in my experience. If I were you I'd rub it
with a little vegetable oil and wrap it in plastic to keep the
air out. You could freeze it, too. Doesn't take long to thaw.

Having said that, the rules are this, leftover pizza dough is
to be made into fried pizza dough snacks the next day.

Just sayin.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Having said that, the rules are this, leftover pizza dough is
> to be made into fried pizza dough snacks the next day.
>
> Just sayin.
>
> nancy

Yup, "Fried Pizza" ia da bomb!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:
> Publix started selling pizza dough that's actually quit good... thing
> is I rolls out so large I can only eat half. How long will the rest of
> the dough last in the fridge in a bowl covered with plastic wrap?

Premade pizza dough isn't very good to begin with so buy it and use it
as soon as possible. Regular dough is only good for a few days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Premade pizza dough isn't very good to begin with so buy it and use it
> as soon as possible. Regular dough is only good for a few days.

premade? What's the difference if Publix mixed it in their giant hobert
that morning or I mixed it in a home unit? It comes as a big glob of
dough covered in a loose plastic baggie.

~john

Posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:
> Publix started selling pizza dough that's actually quit[e] good...

Your taste is obviously in your ass.

> thing is I rolls out so large I can only eat half.

If it can be rolled it's not pizza dough.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
> > Premade pizza dough isn't very good to begin with so buy it and use it
> > as soon as possible. Regular dough is only good for a few days.

> premade? What's the difference?

Same as preground mystery meat... only the devil knows what's/who's in
it... if you can roll it it's obviously made with the poorest quality
low gluten flour they can find, not to mention the chemicals... and
bags of stupidmasrket dough are typically made in a factory elsewhere,
and were frozen.

Requires no more than 15 minutes, start to finish, to make up a couple
pounds of pizza dough at home, by hand.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Publix started selling pizza dough that's actually quit[e] good...
>
> Your taste is obviously in your ass.

Or... you know, I've never lived in NYC so everything's not a step
down. Kinda how you drink cheap supermaket coffee, either your taste is
in your rear end... or it's all relative. I'd like to think it's the
latter.

~john

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Aug 2006 06:38:03 -0700, "levelwave" >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> Premade pizza dough isn't very good to begin with so buy it and use it
>> as soon as possible. Regular dough is only good for a few days.

>premade? What's the difference if Publix mixed it in their giant hobert
>that morning or I mixed it in a home unit? It comes as a big glob of
>dough covered in a loose plastic baggie.
>
>~john

I know what you're talking about. It's different than the pre-made
pie shells.

In my native area, (upstate NY) they sell bagged pizza dough globs
like that in the grocery stores, the local Italian bakeries delivered
it and it was better than what I can make because the local Italian
bread was legendary. Sometimes the globs were in the freezer section.

Unfortunately, pizza dough globs are not available around here. I
found one bakery that claimed to sell it OTC but said they always
ran out by noon. Too out-of-the-way for me to bother just for pizza
dough.

Try freezing the other half. Can't hurt to try.
Sue(tm)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Same as preground mystery meat... only the devil knows what's/who's in
> it... if you can roll it it's obviously made with the poorest quality
> low gluten flour they can find, not to mention the chemicals... and
> bags of stupidmasrket dough are typically made in a factory elsewhere,
> and were frozen.

> Sheldon

That's true for *everything* you buy, canned or otherwise... no telling
what's in it. What, you think bugs, rat droppings and hair-net fodder
are limited to ground beef and fast food joints? duh...

~john

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Curly Sue" > wrote

> Unfortunately, pizza dough globs are not available around here.

Are you sure? I get them at Acme. Pounds of dough frozen,
they sell it in the bakery section. It's very good. And once I
bought pizza dough in the freezer section where they sell ravioli,
like that. It was fine. The Acme stuff stretches out to a nice
thin crust the way I like it. Not bready, if you know what I
mean.

Or, I hear tell that pizza places will sell you their dough. I have
not tried that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:38:42 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Curly Sue" > wrote
>
>> Unfortunately, pizza dough globs are not available around here.

>Are you sure? I get them at Acme. Pounds of dough frozen,
>they sell it in the bakery section. It's very good. And once I
>bought pizza dough in the freezer section where they sell ravioli,
>like that. It was fine. The Acme stuff stretches out to a nice
>thin crust the way I like it. Not bready, if you know what I
>mean.

Not enough home-pizza makers around here. It's a very diverse area
and the Italians are diluted out The grocery stores are smaller
than suburban stores so the shelf/freezer space is kind of limited.
I haven't run across any significant bread bakeries (pastry and bagel
shops, yes).

>Or, I hear tell that pizza places will sell you their dough. I have
>not tried that.

The closest real pizza place we had around here closed last year when
the building was gutted and renovated. The owners have not yet found
a replacement tenant for their sparkly new pizza/cafe space.

I can make my own dough but it doesn't have the same taste and texture
as the bakery bags.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
> > Premade pizza dough isn't very good to begin with so buy it and use it
> > as soon as possible. Regular dough is only good for a few days.

> premade? What's the difference if Publix mixed it in their giant hobert
> that morning or I mixed it in a home unit? It comes as a big glob of
> dough covered in a loose plastic baggie.

And your point is?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:
> Publix started selling pizza dough that's actually quit good... thing
> is I rolls out so large I can only eat half. How long will the rest of
> the dough last in the fridge in a bowl covered with plastic wrap?

Not long - I find that it gets too much alcohol after a day in the
fridge, and the alcoholic taste lingers even after baking. (Well, this
is for homemade stuff - dunno what preservatives or whatnot may be in a
commercial dough.)

Have you considered "par-baking" the crust, putting toppings on it,
wrapping tightly, and freezing? You could have your own frozen pizza.

June

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
" > wrote:

> Not long - I find that it gets too much alcohol after a day in the
> fridge, and the alcoholic taste lingers even after baking. (Well, this
> is for homemade stuff - dunno what preservatives or whatnot may be in a
> commercial dough.)

> June

JunieBug, you're a food scientist. What's going on with the dough --
egg noodle or pasta dough comes to mind -- that it starts getting little
blackish spots (like coarse-ground pepper size) all over it if it sits
in the fridge overnight or thereabouts? I'm curious. Working the dough
(kneading it) will make them go away.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> JunieBug, you're a food scientist.

Mmm, not any more, I'm afraid. I only have pleasant memories of being a
food scientist (and the degree, natch).

> What's going on with the dough --
> egg noodle or pasta dough comes to mind -- that it starts getting little
> blackish spots (like coarse-ground pepper size) all over it if it sits
> in the fridge overnight or thereabouts?

I've never seen that happen, but I cook all of my noodles or whatever
immediately. What's in your dough - flour, eggs, water, salt? Sound
like something (prolly in the eggs) is oxidizing, if it's turning dark?

I think it's easier to prepare the dough as you would the noodle (roll
it out, cut it, etc) and let it dry out a bit on the counter before
storing in the freezer. If you have a food dehydrator, you could make
little "nests" of noodles in single portions to dry and store.
Completely dry homemade pasta should store at room temp for at least a
few weeks.

June