Old 22-09-2008, 04:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

Old 22-09-2008, 04:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote in message
What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

Actually, the cheaper the cut the better. And plenty of fat. A nice
semi-fatty chuck, cut very thin on the bias will make for the best flavor
and texture. Usually flank steak is used but I like the texture and flavor
of chuck. By thin we are talking so thin you can almost see through it. It
will be very tender that way and marinating it will make it even more so.
Best to have the butcher cut it for you.

Paul

Old 22-09-2008, 11:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

Bottom sirloin flap and tri-tip are really the best all around for
slicing thin and stir frying, but you can get away with any cut
except ground beef and cheeks.

-sw
Old 22-09-2008, 11:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"amandaF" wrote in message
What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

Usually flank steak is used but I like the texture and flavor
of chuck.

Chuck... what? Chuck weighs about 28lbs, has about 14 muscles, and
4-5 bones that make most of the usual cuts pretty difficult to slice
thin across the grain. Only an idiot such as you would buy a 1"
thick 7-bone chuck roast for slicing as stir-fry.

-sw

Old 22-09-2008, 02:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

The only thing that makes it Mongolian is the marinade ingredients.
You can use most any of the beef cuts typically marinated.
Restaurants that serve that dish often use the lesser cuts of sirloin
and round... side and tip work well but cost more... were I making it
at home I'd choose flank steak.

http://www.beefretail.org/markmarinating.aspx

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/beef...golianbeef.htm

Yesterday I made Mongolian pork with redneck squash:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ut11qt.jpg

Old 22-09-2008, 02:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 21, 11:27*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
"amandaF" wrote in message

What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

Actually, the cheaper the cut the better. *And plenty of fat. *A nice
semi-fatty chuck, cut very thin on the bias will make for the best flavor
and texture. Usually flank steak is used but I like the texture and flavor
of chuck. *By thin we are talking so thin you can almost see through it.. *It
will be very tender that way and marinating it will make it even more so.
Best to have the butcher cut it for you.

Paul

I don't think the OP is talking about Mongolian firepot, but about the
typical
Americanized Chinese restaurant dish of marinated, stir-fried beef
typically
served on a bed of crispy fried rice noodles.
Old 24-09-2008, 01:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

amandaF wrote:

What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

The only thing that makes it Mongolian is the marinade ingredients.

So if I marinade beef in sesame oil and salt and serve it over
french fires, that's Mongolian beef?

Stick to grinding your beef as you know nothing about any
international cuisines - especially Asian.

-sw
Old 24-09-2008, 01:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 23, 8:24�pm, Sqwertz wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
amandaF wrote:

What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

The only thing that makes it Mongolian is the marinade ingredients.

So if I marinade beef in sesame oil and salt and serve it over
french fires, that's Mongolian beef?

Stick to grinding your beef as you know nothing about any
international cuisines - especially Asian.

Hmm... slow night at the crack house... you lose, AGAIN!

Ahahahahahaha. . . .
Old 24-09-2008, 06:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:24:03 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

amandaF wrote:

What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

The only thing that makes it Mongolian is the marinade ingredients.

So if I marinade beef in sesame oil and salt and serve it over
french fires, that's Mongolian beef?

Stick to grinding your beef as you know nothing about any
international cuisines - especially Asian.

-sw

i'm sure sheldon makes excellent mongolian ground beef.

your pal,
blake

Old 24-09-2008, 09:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

vulva lips mick murphy wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
amandaF wrote:

What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

The only thing that makes it Mongolian is the marinade ingredients.

So if I marinade beef in sesame oil and salt and serve it over
french fires, that's Mongolian beef?

Stick to grinding your beef as you know nothing about any
international cuisines - especially Asian.

-sw

i'm sure sheldon makes excellent mongolian ground beef.

Just happens I do, pork patties for Mongolian grill... very different
from the pot you wrap your sick mongolian mick vulva lips around.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Mongolian grill
This audience-participation cooking is said to have originated during
the time of Genghis Khan when his warriors in the field would sit
around grills and enjoy cooking their own food. The basic approach is
for each diner to dip thin slices of lamb (or other meat) into a
ginger-soy sauce MARINADE before placing them on a hot grill (usually
a large HIBACHI) set on the center of the table. Each individual cooks
his or her meat (the Mongolian grill) according to personal
preference. The grill is sometimes garnished with chopped scallions,
mushrooms or watercress and eaten on plain buns.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Old 24-09-2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

blake murphy wrote:

i'm sure sheldon makes excellent mongolian ground beef.

Just happens I do, pork patties for Mongolian grill... very different
from the pot you wrap your sick mongolian mick vulva lips around.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Mongolian grill
This audience-participation cooking is said to have originated during
the time of Genghis Khan when his warriors in the field would sit
around grills and enjoy cooking their own food. The basic approach is
for each diner to dip thin slices of lamb (or other meat) into a
ginger-soy sauce MARINADE before placing them on a hot grill (usually
a large HIBACHI) set on the center of the table. Each individual cooks
his or her meat (the Mongolian grill) according to personal
preference. The grill is sometimes garnished with chopped scallions,
mushrooms or watercress and eaten on plain buns.

So lets try and follow this:

First you post a ridiculous claim that says the only thing that
makes a dish Mongolian is what the meat is marinated in...

In that same post you then quote a recipe that uses sesame oil and
salt as it's marinade.

Then you claim you use GROUND BEEF to make PORK PATTIES for
Mongolian grill, and quote a article in which the theme is that the
GRILL makes it Mongolian. And then quote the preparation of which
uses SAY and GINGER as a marinade marinade for THINLY SLICED MEATS
rather then ground pork patties.

How many contradictions can you possibly make in a single thread?

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Which you should have just quoted in the first place and left
it at that.

Does it have an entry for 'Sheldon Katz'?

-sw
Old 25-09-2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:42:59 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

some gibberish

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Which you should have just quoted in the first place and left
it at that.

Does it have an entry for 'Sheldon Katz'?

-sw

barron's does have an entry but it is brief. it reads: 'best avoided.'

your pal,
blake
Old 28-09-2008, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 22, 3:03 am, Sqwertz wrote:
amandaF wrote:
What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

Bottom sirloin flap and tri-tip are really the best all around for
slicing thin and stir frying, but you can get away with any cut
except ground beef and cheeks.

-sw

Glad to hear that because I have some tri-tip cut into kabob size ( by
the store). I can just thaw them and cut them thin for this dish.
Perfect.
Old 28-09-2008, 01:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 22, 6:15 am, Sheldon wrote:
amandaF wrote:

What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

The only thing that makes it Mongolian is the marinade ingredients.
You can use most any of the beef cuts typically marinated.
Restaurants that serve that dish often use the lesser cuts of sirloin
and round... side and tip work well but cost more... were I making it
at home I'd choose flank steak.

Flak Steak taste better? Is it leaner too?