Posted to alt.food.asian
jim jim is offline

Default Mongolian beef question

I love Mongolian beef and usually order this when we eat Chinese. I've
eated Mongolian Beef at many restaurants and they all have one thing in
common - a particluar taste that sort of defines Mongolian Beef. I
also like to cook and I've tried various recipes for M.B. with limited
success. My dish taste good but doesn't have that unique taste.
Looking at different recipes they are all very similar and I can't find
a particular spice or ingredient that gives it that special taste. Can
any one help?
Jim

Posted to alt.food.asian

Hello, jim!
You wrote on 26 Oct 2006 16:37:11 -0700:

j> I love Mongolian beef and usually order this when we eat
j> Chinese. I've eated Mongolian Beef at many restaurants and
j> they all have one thing in common - a particluar taste that
j> sort of defines Mongolian Beef. I also like to cook and
j> I've tried various recipes for M.B. with limited success.
j> My dish taste good but doesn't have that unique taste.
j> Looking at different recipes they are all very similar and I
j> can't find a particular spice or ingredient that gives it
j> that special taste. Can any one help?
j> Jim

Don't know much about making it but have you looked into
five-spice powder?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to alt.food.asian

On 26 Oct 2006 16:37:11 -0700, "jim" > wrote:

>I love Mongolian beef and usually order this when we eat Chinese. I've
>eated Mongolian Beef at many restaurants and they all have one thing in
>common - a particluar taste that sort of defines Mongolian Beef. I
>also like to cook and I've tried various recipes for M.B. with limited
>success. My dish taste good but doesn't have that unique taste.
>Looking at different recipes they are all very similar and I can't find
>a particular spice or ingredient that gives it that special taste. Can
>any one help?
>Jim

It has a special aroma too. We call it smelly beef. I doubt there is
five spice powder in it, it's missing that distinctively anise flavor.

I have tried stop make it using brown bean and ground bean sauce and
come pretty close. Both sauces are similar except the latter is not
as smoothly pureed. They can ve found close to the hoi sin sauce in
Asian markets.
------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email
Posted to alt.food.asian

On 26 Oct 2006 16:37:11 -0700, "jim" > wrote:

>I love Mongolian beef and usually order this when we eat Chinese. I've
>eated Mongolian Beef at many restaurants and they all have one thing in
>common - a particluar taste that sort of defines Mongolian Beef. I
>also like to cook and I've tried various recipes for M.B. with limited
>success. My dish taste good but doesn't have that unique taste.
>Looking at different recipes they are all very similar and I can't find
>a particular spice or ingredient that gives it that special taste. Can
>any one help?
>Jim

Hi Jim
Google "Mongolian beef"
the answers await
edw
Posted to alt.food.asian

"Spooge Geeko" > wrote in message > Hi Jim
> Google "Mongolian beef"
> the answers await
> edw

Aren't you a nice, friendly person. I hope you don't frequent this group
often. I enjoy helping out and sharing my experience. In this case, I don't
have a Mongolian Beef recipe so I don't reply. You should try that.
Wayne

Posted to alt.food.asian

Googling for Asian recipes yield an awful lot of just terrible
recipes.

Here's one Mongolian beef. Can you count the mistakes and stupidity
about Asian food?
http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/M/247.htm

Submitted By: Mary Kolling (Robbie's mom)
Prep. Time: 1:30
-- An hour and a half for a stir fry dish??? Must be a slow take-out
night.
Serves: 4

1 lb. sirloin steak - trimmed of fat, sliced thin
-- Sirloin steak -- lol Want to bet the "author" never heard of
flank?
6 Tbls. soy sauce - divided
2 Tbls. corn starch
2 1/2 Tbls. peanut oil OR sesame oil OR vegetable oil - divided
-- I love to fry in sesame oil, the smell of burnt oil is divine.
2 tsp. granulated sugar
-- cupcakes? candy??
1/2 tsp. salt
2 dashes white pepper
-- do 2 dashes equal a "sprinkle"
4 cloves garlic - minced
2 tsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger root OR 2 tsp. ground ginger
-- fresh ginger or dried ginger? I think not
8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts - drained
12 green onions - root ends trimmed, halved, sliced lengthwise

-In a sealable plastic bag,
-- lots of sealed plastic bags in China
knead together meat
-- knead???
3 Tbls. soy sauce, corn starch, 1 1/2 Tbls. oil, sugar, salt, and
pepper; refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
-In a 375 degree wok, cook garlic and ginger in 1 Tbls. oil for 3-5
minutes.
-Add remaining ingredients, including meat mixture to wok; stir-fry
for 5-10 minutes, or until meat is cooked through.
-- 5-10 minutes???

IDIOT

------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:59:59 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 01:25:17 -0700, Spooge Geeko wrote:
>
>> On 26 Oct 2006 16:37:11 -0700, "jim" > wrote:
>>
>>>I love Mongolian beef and usually order this when we eat Chinese. I've
>>>eated Mongolian Beef at many restaurants and they all have one thing in
>>>common - a particluar taste that sort of defines Mongolian Beef. I
>>>also like to cook and I've tried various recipes for M.B. with limited
>>>success. My dish taste good but doesn't have that unique taste.
>>>Looking at different recipes they are all very similar and I can't find
>>>a particular spice or ingredient that gives it that special taste. Can
>>>any one help?
>>>Jim

>> Hi Jim
>> Google "Mongolian beef"
>> the answers await

>Or rather, Google "Wok Hay" - for that missing flavor.

No, steve. I know what you mean by wok hay but there is a definite
sauce flavoring/aroma in the Mongolian Beef dishes I have had. It's a
very earthy, almost dank, aroma. I am pretty sure it is a type of
bean paste, but I haven't hit the right one yet.

It's also possible the aroma is coming off the onions which are always
plentiful, but I have not been able to get that aroma yet. It may be
a matter if onion "sweat" rather than a hard stir fry. I use a wok
burner of 30K BTU at max heat - certainly not restaurant quality,
which run at over 100K BTU, but better than any home range. I get
some equivalent of wok hay.

Hey, I will keep at. So far it has all been very edible. ;--)
------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 20:50:38 -0500, "Wayne" >
wrote:

>"Spooge Geeko" > wrote in message > Hi Jim
>> Google "Mongolian beef"
>> the answers await
>> edw

>Aren't you a nice, friendly person. I hope you don't frequent this group
>often. I enjoy helping out and sharing my experience. In this case, I don't
>have a Mongolian Beef recipe so I don't reply. You should try that.
>Wayne

I've only been hanging out in this group for about 10 years.
I am generally friendly. I googled mongolian beef and found
a ton of recipies. Would you have had me cut and paste ?
Sometimes redirection to a good source is a good thing.
edw
Posted to alt.food.asian

>"Spooge Geeko" > wrote
>I googled mongolian beef and found a ton of recipies. Would you have had me
>cut and paste ?
>Sometimes redirection to a good source is a good thing.

Everyone is aware of google and the obvious thing would be to try searching
on Mongolian beef. Duh!
I would ask this group for a recipe because I assume that people in this
group like to cook asian food and those who would reply probably have an
authentic recipe that they consider to be good. Sort of like asking a friend
with a common interest. Would you tell a friend of yours to go and search
the net when they asked you for a recipe? They wouldn't be asking you to go
and search for them and cut and paste etc. They are asking if YOU actually
have a recipe that you feel is worthwhile and are willing to share.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.asian
jim jim is offline

Thanks all for the suggestions. edw, obviously (to me) I've tried
Google and yes there are hundreds of MB recipes, but none contain any
particular ingredient that I can see that will give it that "unique"
taste. I'll try the 5 spice suggestion and maybe the bean paste. As
I've said, i've tried several recipes and they've all been pretty good
but none has that taste that really makes Mongolian Beef to me. The
strange part to me is that most any Chinese restaurant where I've tried
MB has the taste I like. Surely someone out there knows the answer.
Jim

Cape Cod Bob wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:59:59 GMT, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:

> >> Hi Jim
> >> Google "Mongolian beef"
> >> the answers await

> >Or rather, Google "Wok Hay" - for that missing flavor.

> No, steve. I know what you mean by wok hay but there is a definite
> sauce flavoring/aroma in the Mongolian Beef dishes I have had. It's a
> very earthy, almost dank, aroma. I am pretty sure it is a type of
> bean paste, but I haven't hit the right one yet.
>
> It's also possible the aroma is coming off the onions which are always
> plentiful, but I have not been able to get that aroma yet. It may be
> a matter if onion "sweat" rather than a hard stir fry. I use a wok
> burner of 30K BTU at max heat - certainly not restaurant quality,
> which run at over 100K BTU, but better than any home range. I get
> some equivalent of wok hay.
>
> Hey, I will keep at. So far it has all been very edible. ;--)
> ------------
> There are no atheists in foxholes
> or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
> game.
> ____
>
> Cape Cod Bob
>
> Delete the two "spam"s for email

Posted to alt.food.asian

jim wrote:
[snip]> particular ingredient that I can see that will give it that
"unique"
> taste. I'll try the 5 spice suggestion and maybe the bean paste. As

[snip]>
> Cape Cod Bob wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:59:59 GMT, Steve Wertz
> > > wrote:

[snip]

Hi Jim,

I like Mongolian Beef too. Use to eat it at a weekly lunch at a certain
Hunan Garden in Silicon Valley.

That "je ne sais quoi" "earthy" ingredient that you are probably
seeking is sweet potato. It is part of quality Hoisin sauces.

It is neither in five spice nor in fermented bean sauces.

While link belows shows Lee Kum Kee brand of hoisin in a plastic
squeeze bottles, I don't find it too authentic. It is found on the
table at many Vietnamese pho soup restaurants, if you want to taste. It
is too sweet; sugar and water is its first two ingredients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoisin_sauce

I don't buy LKK hoisin in a 7 oz consumer jar either as it is too
expensive, still too thin and sugary, and used up quickly in a few
dishes. Ingredient list shows powdered sweet potato as fifth entry.

http://usa.lkk.com/Common/Consumer/C...er ialCode=25

The higher quality (more sweet potato) LKK hoisin is in tins, a
different formulation for Chinese restaurants as it is thick and pasty.
With large cans at 20oz and 5#, now we're talking business, see this at

http://usa.lkk.com/Common/Foodservic...erialCode=1112

You should be able to find canned Lee Kum Kee brand hoisin sauce at
larger Chinese groceries on the bottom shelf. It is arguably one of the
better brands available world wide. I'd rank it B+

BTW, Mongolian beef is an American invention from San Francisco
Chinatown, with Cantonese origins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_beef

HTH, PLA

Posted to alt.food.asian

On 6 Jan 2007 08:26:54 -0800, "Phil" > wrote:

>jim wrote:
>[snip]> particular ingredient that I can see that will give it that
>"unique"
>> taste. I'll try the 5 spice suggestion and maybe the bean paste. As

>[snip]>
>> Cape Cod Bob wrote:
>> > On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:59:59 GMT, Steve Wertz

>[snip]
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>I like Mongolian Beef too. Use to eat it at a weekly lunch at a certain
>Hunan Garden in Silicon Valley.
>
>That "je ne sais quoi" "earthy" ingredient that you are probably
>seeking is sweet potato. It is part of quality Hoisin sauces.
>
>It is neither in five spice nor in fermented bean sauces.
>
>While link belows shows Lee Kum Kee brand of hoisin in a plastic
>squeeze bottles, I don't find it too authentic. It is found on the
>table at many Vietnamese pho soup restaurants, if you want to taste. It
>is too sweet; sugar and water is its first two ingredients.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoisin_sauce
>
>I don't buy LKK hoisin in a 7 oz consumer jar either as it is too
>expensive, still too thin and sugary, and used up quickly in a few
>dishes. Ingredient list shows powdered sweet potato as fifth entry.
>
>http://usa.lkk.com/Common/Consumer/C...er ialCode=25
>

>The higher quality (more sweet potato) LKK hoisin is in tins, a
>different formulation for Chinese restaurants as it is thick and pasty.
>With large cans at 20oz and 5#, now we're talking business, see this at
>
>http://usa.lkk.com/Common/Foodservic...erialCode=1112
>
>You should be able to find canned Lee Kum Kee brand hoisin sauce at
>larger Chinese groceries on the bottom shelf. It is arguably one of the
>better brands available world wide. I'd rank it B+
>
>BTW, Mongolian beef is an American invention from San Francisco
>Chinatown, with Cantonese origins.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_beef
>
>HTH, PLA

THANK YOU !
edw
Use the email below please
edwAT thewrightsplace DOT us
The embedded reply address is to a[mb]use spammers
Posted to alt.food.asian
ian ian is offline

jim wrote:
> I love Mongolian beef and usually order this when we eat Chinese. I've
> eated Mongolian Beef at many restaurants and they all have one thing in
> common - a particluar taste that sort of defines Mongolian Beef. I
> also like to cook and I've tried various recipes for M.B. with limited
> success. My dish taste good but doesn't have that unique taste.
> Looking at different recipes they are all very similar and I can't find
> a particular spice or ingredient that gives it that special taste. Can
> any one help?
> Jim

Hi Jim -

I love Mongolian Beef too, and make it fairly often. The following
recipe originated from Recipe Source, I believe, but I modified it a bit
since then. I believe it has that special taste you refer to.

Ian

here's the recipe:

Mongolian Beef

1 pound flank steak
6 large green onions -- cut in 1" lengths
6-8 dried chili peppers -- or to taste
1 tablespoon cornstarch

---- Meat Marninade ----
1 tablespoon mushroom or dark soy
1 tablespoon Shao Shing wine
1 tablespoon Brandy
2 tablespoon oyster flavored sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
dash white pepper
3-4 slices grated ginger
2 tbsp. Peanut Oil

---- Sauce Mixture ----
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon Shao Shing wine
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon hot bean sauce
1/2 teaspoon sweet bean sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper, crushed -- or to taste
2 to 3 tablespoon garlic -- minced

Preparation:

Cut flank steak cross-grain into 1/8" slices.
Mix with meat marinade. Combine sauce ingredients.

Cooking:

In wok, heat 2 cups peanut oil to 250 degrees. To test, place a
piece of beef in the oil. It should just BARELY sizzle.

Deep fry beef in two separate batches until just done, about 10
seconds, then remove and allow the oil to drain off.

Pour off all but 2 Tbsp oil from the pan.

Throw in the dried chili peppers (if desired).

Pour in sauce mixture and let it reduce for 2 minutes over high
heat.

Add beef and stir until well mixed.

If the sauce appears a bit thin, add a little of cornstarch/water
mixture to thicken.

Add green onions for 15 seconds, or until tender.

NOTES : This is a wonderfully rich and velvety dish. The beef is
cooked by the velveting method and, if done properly, will melt in
your mouth. I tried stir frying the beef instead of the using the
velveting method and it didn't have the same texture. If you have
two woks, cook the sauce in one while cooking the beef in the other.
It'll go much faster. If the taste is too hot, decrease the amount
of chili peppers.