Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What kind of beef cut do you use for Beef Stroanoff?

Originally, the classic cut to use was the beef tenderloin. The dish
was made to order, and not treated as a slow, long cooked stew the way
it is in most establishments today.
I use whatever 'tough' cut I can find a deal on. Today, while in the
supermarket I found a cross cut steak for $3.99 per pound. (1.4
pounds total). The beef stew was going for $4.99 per pound; other
cuts were more expensive etc. The cross cut is fairly lean with a bit
of a fat cap.
So, the recipe is (I really don't use recipes very often):
beef, sliced into strips, slightly browned
onions, sliced in quarter rings, caramelized,
no garlic because I don't have any.
fresh button mushrooms, browned nicely in a cast iron pan
throw all into a pot, get it onto low, and add some sweet Hungarian
Paprika
let that simmer slowly for a few minutes
coat everything
add cream of mushroom soup(about a can for every pound to pound and a
half of beef)
let simmer until very tender
over low heat, add sour cream
serve over rice or noodles.
oh yeah, you can start with vegetable oil when you are sauteing/
browning.

Cross cut steak comes off of the chuck. That's what we call it in
Canada. Here's a chart of Canadian beef(and other) cuts:
http://members.shaw.ca/masterbutcher/meat_cuts.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> Originally, the classic cut to use was the beef tenderloin. The dish
> was made to order, and not treated as a slow, long cooked stew the way
> it is in most establishments today.
> I use whatever 'tough' cut I can find a deal on. Today, while in the
> supermarket I found a cross cut steak for $3.99 per pound. (1.4
> pounds total). The beef stew was going for $4.99 per pound; other
> cuts were more expensive etc. The cross cut is fairly lean with a bit
> of a fat cap.
> So, the recipe is (I really don't use recipes very often):
> beef, sliced into strips, slightly browned
> onions, sliced in quarter rings, caramelized,
> no garlic because I don't have any.
> fresh button mushrooms, browned nicely in a cast iron pan
> throw all into a pot, get it onto low, and add some sweet Hungarian
> Paprika
> let that simmer slowly for a few minutes
> coat everything
> add cream of mushroom soup(about a can for every pound to pound and a
> half of beef)
> let simmer until very tender
> over low heat, add sour cream
> serve over rice or noodles.
> oh yeah, you can start with vegetable oil when you are sauteing/
> browning.
>
> Cross cut steak comes off of the chuck. That's what we call it in
> Canada. Here's a chart of Canadian beef(and other) cuts:
> http://members.shaw.ca/masterbutcher/meat_cuts.html

I think beef Stroganoff must be made with the filet. You put the tenderloin
of beef thinly sliced across the grain into the simmering braising liquid
only for a couple of minutes, or until it's medium rare. Anything else just
isn't Stroganoff. In our house it's always served on puff pastry, never on
pasta.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> Originally, the classic cut to use was the beef tenderloin. The dish
> was made to order, and not treated as a slow, long cooked stew the way
> it is in most establishments today.
> I use whatever 'tough' cut I can find a deal on. Today, while in the
> supermarket I found a cross cut steak for $3.99 per pound. (1.4
> pounds total). The beef stew was going for $4.99 per pound; other
> cuts were more expensive etc. The cross cut is fairly lean with a bit
> of a fat cap.
> So, the recipe is (I really don't use recipes very often):
> beef, sliced into strips, slightly browned
> onions, sliced in quarter rings, caramelized,
> no garlic because I don't have any.
> fresh button mushrooms, browned nicely in a cast iron pan
> throw all into a pot, get it onto low, and add some sweet Hungarian
> Paprika
> let that simmer slowly for a few minutes
> coat everything
> add cream of mushroom soup(about a can for every pound to pound and a
> half of beef)
> let simmer until very tender
> over low heat, add sour cream
> serve over rice or noodles.
> oh yeah, you can start with vegetable oil when you are sauteing/
> browning.
>
> Cross cut steak comes off of the chuck. That's what we call it in
> Canada. Here's a chart of Canadian beef(and other) cuts:
> http://members.shaw.ca/masterbutcher/meat_cuts.html

I use flatiron steak when I can find it, tenderloin when it's on sale. I
add a can of consomme, not mushroom soup, and add a little dry mustard (1/2
tsp or so) and a little red wine (1/2 cup). I do the browning in butter.
If the liquid seems thin add a little flour. Good on you for having
Hungarian paprika on hand, but have some garlic handy next time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That sounds similar to my recipe. The only difference is when I saute
the onions and mushrooms (I used sliced, not whole) I use bacon grease
to saute in. I do add a tablespoon of butter into the sauce. I have
not made Beef Stroganoff since my double bypass, so if I ever make it
again I'm sure I will make it as low fat low cholesterol as I can. I
would use fat free sour cream, and maybe a little canola oil instead
of bacon grease, cut the butter in half, it might work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 5:31*pm, Michael OConnor > wrote:
> That sounds similar to my recipe. *The only difference is when I saute
> the onions and mushrooms (I used sliced, not whole) I use bacon grease
> to saute in. *I do add a tablespoon of butter into the sauce. *I have
> not made Beef Stroganoff since my double bypass, so if I ever make it
> again I'm sure I will make it as low fat low cholesterol as I can. *I
> would use fat free sour cream, and maybe a little canola oil instead
> of bacon grease, cut the butter in half, it might work.

Extra light olive oil would be a much better choice than canola. 8%
omega 6 is better than 30%. Then you can take fish oil to make up for
less omega 3.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article
A Moose in Love > wrote:

> Originally, the classic cut to use was the beef tenderloin. The dish
> was made to order, and not treated as a slow, long cooked stew the way
> it is in most establishments today.
> I use whatever 'tough' cut I can find a deal on.

After trying a number of different cuts raw, I finally settled on cooked
roast beef (which I always roast just to rare). Add the meat at the very
end, so it just warms in the sauce, and doesn't overcook.

And, after trying several different recipes, I prefer the classic one
from Betty Crocker:

Beef Stroganoff Betty Crocker

1 lb. roast beef
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, minced
1 10 1/2 oz. can beef broth
2 Tbsp. catsup
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. flour
1 cup dairy sour cream
3-4 cups egg noodles, hot, cooked

Cut meat across grain into 1/2 inch strips about 1 1/2 inches long.

Melt butter in large skillet. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir
until onion is tender and remove from skillet.

Place meat in skillet; brown slightly. Reserving 1/3 cup, add remaining
broth to pan, along with catsup, garlic, and salt. Cover; simmer a few
minutes.

Blend remaining broth with flour; stir into meat mixture. Add mushrooms
and onions. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1
minute. Reduce heat; stir in sour cream and heat. Do not allow to boil
after sour cream is added.

Serve over noodles or good wide egg pasta.

--

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> I think beef Stroganoff must be made with the filet. You put the
> tenderloin of beef thinly sliced across the grain into the simmering
> braising liquid only for a couple of minutes, or until it's medium
> rare. Anything else just isn't Stroganoff. In our house it's always
> served on puff pastry, never on pasta.

How do you serve it "on" puff pastry? How is the pastry shaped?

Sounds close to Beef Wellington.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use a good cut of beef round steak (1-1/2 lbs.) when I make it, trim
off fat and cut into about 3/4" cubes.

The way I make it is to combine in a clean heavy bag:
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
Pepper to taste and 1/3 cup flour.

Add meat cubes and shake well. Brown meat slowly in 3 tbsp. butter in
heavy skillet, turning frequently. Add:
1 can undrained tomatoes, stirring. Simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until
tender. Stir frequently during cooking, adding some hot water, if
mixture becomes dry.

Add: 2 tbsp. flour to 1 cup dairy sour cream and stir till smooth. Add
to meat, and cook and stir until thickened. Serve over hot noodles. We
really like this.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message

On ATK s08 e22 (Easy Skillet Suppers) they use sirloin tip and pound it flat
because they say it holds together better in the braise.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in message

> Kent wrote:
>>
>> I think beef Stroganoff must be made with the filet. You put the
>> tenderloin of beef thinly sliced across the grain into the simmering
>> braising liquid only for a couple of minutes, or until it's medium
>> rare. Anything else just isn't Stroganoff. In our house it's always
>> served on puff pastry, never on pasta.

> How do you serve it "on" puff pastry? How is the pastry shaped?
>
> Sounds close to Beef Wellington.

First, I buy frozen Pepperidge Farms puff pastry in sheets. Cut a sheet into
3X6 inch portions, or whatever size you wish. Then take little strips of the
pastry, and "cement" them to the edges with water to create a puff pastry
basket. Bake the basket as per instructions on the package, and pour
finished stroganoff on at the time of serving.

I have made my own puff pastry for Beef Wellington several times. It's a lot
of work and a lot of cholesterol. Pepperidge Farms also makes a frozen puff
pastry basket that will work. It's frozen and available at most
supermarkets, even the Safeway. It's slightly more expensive and it lacks
character. Character in cooking is what cooking is all about.

Kent

Kent____________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > wrote in message
]...
> In article
> >,
> A Moose in Love > wrote:
>
>> Originally, the classic cut to use was the beef tenderloin.

That's the way my mother made it, on the rare occasions she did.

>> The dish
>> was made to order, and not treated as a slow, long cooked stew the way
>> it is in most establishments today.
>> I use whatever 'tough' cut I can find a deal on.

I don't know about "establishments" since I've never seen Strogranoff on a
restaurant menu. I've certainly never heard of beef stroganoff being
slow-cooked like stew.

> After trying a number of different cuts raw, I finally settled on cooked
> roast beef (which I always roast just to rare). Add the meat at the very
> end, so it just warms in the sauce, and doesn't overcook.

That's pretty much the way the beef tenderloin was cooked in the classic
recipe. Just a little heating through. The beef wasn't rare but it wasn't
cooked well-done, either.

I've made it with round steak, leftover sliced chuck roast (not cooked to
well done). It's good stuff. I'll have to put this on my menu very soon.
Thanks for reminding me!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 6:50*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "isw" > wrote in message
>
> ]...
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > A Moose in Love > wrote:

> >> Originally, the classic cut to use was the beef tenderloin.

> That's the way my mother made it, on the rare occasions she did.
>
> >> *The dish
> >> was made to order, and not treated as a slow, long cooked stew the way
> >> it is in most establishments today.
> >> I use whatever 'tough' cut I can find a deal on.

> I don't know about "establishments" since I've never seen Strogranoff on a
> restaurant menu. *I've certainly never heard of beef stroganoff being
> slow-cooked like stew.

I cook my beef in a slow cooker or simmer for a long time on the
stove, Usually a good 3-4 hours. I've never had it in a restaurant, so
I don't know how similar it is. But the meat is very tender. I use the
juice from the meat, some added water, a little flour, and the beefy
onion soup mix for seasoning. At the end, I add the sour cream.

For beef, I use a variety of cuts, depending on what looks good and
the prices. My favorite is called London Broil. I know that is not the
name of the cut of meat, but that is how it is labeled, so I am not
sure the correct name. It is usually very lean and reasonably priced.
So, it is easy to work with and doesn't have much waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
A Moose in Love > wrote:

I use sirloin. Why in the name of all that is holy do you use canned
cream of mushroom soup?
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mar 5, 6:50 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> "isw" > wrote in message
>>
>> ]...
>>
>> > In article

>> That's the way my mother made it, on the rare occasions she did.
>>

> For beef, I use a variety of cuts, depending on what looks good and
> the prices. My favorite is called London Broil. I know that is not the
> name of the cut of meat, but that is how it is labeled, so I am not
> sure the correct name. It is usually very lean and reasonably priced.
> So, it is easy to work with and doesn't have much waste.

I've seen beef cuts labeled "london broil". It's basically a thick-cut
version of top round steak. And yes, that would require a low, slow simmer.
This does remind me I need to put round steak on my shopping list. I'm not
planning on making beef stroganoff... Mom's recipe for swiss steak is
calling

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> I use a good cut of beef round steak (1-1/2 lbs.) when I make it, trim
> off fat and cut into about 3/4" cubes.
>
> The way I make it is to combine in a clean heavy bag:
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. garlic powder
> Pepper to taste and 1/3 cup flour.
>
> Add meat cubes and shake well. Brown meat slowly in 3 tbsp. butter in
> heavy skillet, turning frequently. Add:
> 1 can undrained tomatoes, stirring. Simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until
> tender. Stir frequently during cooking, adding some hot water, if
> mixture becomes dry.
>
> Add: 2 tbsp. flour to 1 cup dairy sour cream and stir till smooth. Add
> to meat, and cook and stir until thickened. Serve over hot noodles. We
> really like this.
>
> Judy

All the different recipes are interesting. Personally I use tenderized
round steak (ask the butcher) or sirloin beaten with a mallet. I slice the
beef into thin strips, not cubes. (It's easier to slice if it's partially
frozen). I haven't made stroganoff in years. It might be time to put it
back on the table.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I make my stroganoff in the slow cooker and I use the strips of, round, I
think, that are cut up for stir fry.

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

> wrote in message
> On Mar 5, 6:50 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> "isw" > wrote in message
>>
>> ]...
>>
>> > In article

>> That's the way my mother made it, on the rare occasions she did.
>>

> For beef, I use a variety of cuts, depending on what looks good and
> the prices. My favorite is called London Broil. I know that is not the
> name of the cut of meat, but that is how it is labeled, so I am not
> sure the correct name. It is usually very lean and reasonably priced.
> So, it is easy to work with and doesn't have much waste.

I've seen beef cuts labeled "london broil". It's basically a thick-cut
version of top round steak. And yes, that would require a low, slow simmer.
This does remind me I need to put round steak on my shopping list. I'm not
planning on making beef stroganoff... Mom's recipe for swiss steak is
calling

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:
> All the different recipes are interesting. Personally I use tenderized
> round steak (ask the butcher) or sirloin beaten with a mallet. I slice the
> beef into thin strips, not cubes. (It's easier to slice if it's partially
> frozen). I haven't made stroganoff in years. It might be time to put it
> back on the table.
>
> Jill

Why do you pound the sirloin, Jill? It's a tender cut and doesn't need
tenderizing. Do you do it from habit? Color me Curious.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:
> planning on making beef stroganoff... Mom's recipe for swiss steak is
> calling
>
> Jill

How did your mom make swiss steak? I use tomatoes and green peppers,
onions, and simmer.