Old 27-08-2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unexpected Kitchen Expense :(

Becca wrote:
Goomba wrote:

LOL, one of the neatest features on my new cabinets are the "toe
kick" drawers which if you didn't know existed, you'd .....never
know it was there! We're calling it my "dope drawer" LOL
I've loaded it with infrequently used items such as skewers, rolling
pin, etc.
I wish I had more of these bad boys.. take a peek-
http://i33.tinypic.com/ad0y6v.jpg

Hey, I love 'em! "Dope drawer" is a good name.

I'd love to have a couple put in to hold cookie sheets. I wonder
if they can be easily retrofitted.

nancy

Old 27-08-2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

It's even self cleaning. It's an oldie but a goodie. I don't get it. I
don't even care if I sell it. I'll adopt it out to a good home

Michael

Here, Freecycle has worked wonderfully well. Sounds like you have an
excellent used appliance, I am surprised that nobody wants it. Hang in
there, I hope someone wants it. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Becca

Old 28-08-2008, 02:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Saerah Gray wrote:

Sqwertz fnord
:
snip

Somebody left a 1/4lb+ of marijuana in the apartment I moved into at
1999 Fountainview Court, Columbus OH (Reynoldsburgh) in 1996 - Along
with 2 Airbake half-sheet pans in that same drawer.

The marijuana was just so-so (considering I just moved from Northern
California) but I still have the Airbake sheet pans cough.

I'd say a QP is not a bad housewarming gift, so-so or not. You really
can't expectthat much from the midwest.

I didn't find it until a 6 weeks before I moved out. I'd lived
there maybe 13 months by then.

-sw
Old 28-08-2008, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz fnord news:270808.200051rfc1004.50
@sqwertz.com:

Saerah Gray wrote:

Sqwertz fnord
:
snip

Somebody left a 1/4lb+ of marijuana in the apartment I moved into at
1999 Fountainview Court, Columbus OH (Reynoldsburgh) in 1996 - Along
with 2 Airbake half-sheet pans in that same drawer.

The marijuana was just so-so (considering I just moved from Northern
California) but I still have the Airbake sheet pans cough.

I'd say a QP is not a bad housewarming gift, so-so or not. You really
can't expectthat much from the midwest.

I didn't find it until a 6 weeks before I moved out. I'd lived
there maybe 13 months by then.

-sw

Forgetful much?

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Old 28-08-2008, 02:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

I'm thinking the grass was well worth the price, even if it was Indiana
headache weed.

It was Ohio weed. And having just moved from Santa Cruz, CA.... It
was pretty bad. I ended up giving a lot of it to the holy rollers
that lived nearby. The said the previous tenant was a private
detective, and ex police officer.

-sw

Old 28-08-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:

I'm thinking the grass was well worth the price, even if it was Indiana
headache weed.

It was Ohio weed.

I meant to include headache weed from anywhere -- Indiana was just an
example from my own wasted middle age. That said, how do you know
it was Ohio weed? No other bad weed ever gets smoked in Ohio? Yes, I
know the *anecdote* is placed in Ohio. I'd just be surprised if there was
an "A Product Of Ohio" label with a bar code and stuff.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old 28-08-2008, 06:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:31:46 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Goomba wrote:
http://i33.tinypic.com/ad0y6v.jpg

I like that drawer idea a lot!!

Me too!

I also like the idea of built-in baseboard vacuums (I'm sure there's a
proper name for them). You just sweep crumbs up to the baseboard, kick a
switch and they're gone. Probably more trouble cleaning them out than
they're worth, though.

Got a URL for that? Never heard of it!

Mae West
Old 28-08-2008, 06:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:35:37 -0500, The Cook
wrote:

The baseboards vacuums are part of a whole house vacuum system. The
crumbs and dirt go to the central collection point in the basement or
garage. Change the bag.

I've heard of and seen whole house vacuums but have never heard of
what Jill talked about.

Mae West
Old 28-08-2008, 06:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:04:58 -0600, Christine Dabney
wrote:

Hey, what do you have to lose on seeing if the workman can return
them? It's an honest mistake....you left them in there. I sure
wouldn't go out to buy new stuff.... I would get them back. It's
your stuff, after all!!!!

I bet they didn't bother looking in the drawer before recycling the
unit. She could call and ask if they have the contents... but what
was in the drawer is most likely history by now.

Mae West
Old 28-08-2008, 06:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:17:41 -0400, Goomba
wrote:

Anyone need a decent refrigerator? LOL

Craig's list is your friend, especially if the item is free.
Hopefully there is a similar list in your area.

Mae West

Old 28-08-2008, 12:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:16:18 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I'd love to have a couple put in to hold cookie sheets. I wonder
if they can be easily retrofitted.

I saw them in a decorator book many years ago. One of the had a small
folding step stool in it.

I've seen that, too. I need a stepstool as well, but the long pair
of tongs will have to suffice.

My kitchen has a narrow cabinet on each side of the stove. The
previous owners had put roll out trays in them. I removed the trays
and hardware and put racks for vertical storage in them. They contain
cookie sheets, cutting boards and any other item that fits.

Nice. Great idea.

BTW, the stove and cabinets are in an island.

Sounds like a good setup with the cookie sheets/etc right there.

nancy
Old 28-08-2008, 12:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Becca wrote:
Goomba wrote:

LOL, one of the neatest features on my new cabinets are the "toe
kick" drawers which if you didn't know existed, you'd .....never
know it was there! We're calling it my "dope drawer" LOL
I've loaded it with infrequently used items such as skewers, rolling
pin, etc.
I wish I had more of these bad boys.. take a peek-
http://i33.tinypic.com/ad0y6v.jpg

Hey, I love 'em! "Dope drawer" is a good name.

I'd love to have a couple put in to hold cookie sheets. I wonder
if they can be easily retrofitted.

nancy

I saw them in a decorator book many years ago. One of the had a small
folding step stool in it.

My kitchen has a narrow cabinet on each side of the stove. The
previous owners had put roll out trays in them. I removed the trays
and hardware and put racks for vertical storage in them. They contain
cookie sheets, cutting boards and any other item that fits. BTW, the
stove and cabinets are in an island.
Old 28-08-2008, 12:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote:

Dave W
: in
rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote:

snip

UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall
oven. It's in perfect working order too. No bites on Craig's List
and I even offered it up for free on some of the free groups. Guess
I'll trash it.

Michael

Michael,

You might consider giving it to, say, Habitat for Humanity or some
other charity that runs a "resale" shop. That would also (probably)
get you a tax deduction. (Claim it is worth a thousand bucks!) The
charities are also usually more than happy to pick it up.

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the idea. You like the
Ozarks?

Michael

Your more than welcome. Oh, and yes, I love the Ozarks (though the
population here in north west Arkansas is growing out of control).

Regards,
Dave W.
Old 28-08-2008, 01:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Lynn from Fargo wrote:

On Aug 27, 9:15*am, Sheldon wrote:
On Aug 27, 9:36 am, Dave W wrote:

snip

You might consider giving it to, say, Habitat for Humanity or some other
charity that runs a "resale" shop. That would also (probably) get you a
tax deduction. (Claim it is worth a thousand bucks!) The charities are
also usually more than happy to pick it up.

Wishful thinking... those non-profit orgs ain't stoopid... lucky to
get a receipt for $25 on a used oven... and they're not gonna send a
truck to pick up one item. *Where I live large kitchen appliances are
best put out at the curb with the trash, my private trash guy charges
$10 to pick up a stove... last time I got lucky, someone glommed my
old stove before trash pick-up day... seems in rural areas folks ain't
picky, any furnishings I put out gets picked up in under an hour. *Old
computers I donate to the local school, I have to deliver and last I
delivered a PC they were giving their standard $50 receipt, and that
was for a working PC with monitor, keyboard, and speakers... was way
outdated capacity/speed wise but schools can use them, plenty good
enough for teaching purposes.

One of the hidden benefits in living in a town that is home to lots of
"New Americans" (Bosnians, Somalis, Sudanese, Asian refugees is that
our charities will come and pick stuff up. They furnish a lot of
houses and apartments and need damn near everything from beds to
bicycles. They were thrilled to pick up my old table and chairs and
my sewing machine enabled a couple of women to make some desperately
needed money.

Lynn in Fargo

I was, uh, amused by Sheldon's comments. I use my own mini van every
week or two to pick up items like stoves, dish washers, window air
conditioners, and even refrigerators for the local Habitat resale shop.
Every Saturday they schedule their 25 foot box truck to pick up
donations around town. Occasionally when they are short handed I
volunteer (well, my wife volunteers me) to drive that truck. (The truck
is easier on my arthritic back since it has a lift gate.)

Yeah, we have to pay to get rid of appliances that have gone belly-up.
But if it works, there are always people who can use it ... "new
americans" and old ones alike. Wishful thinking, indeed.

Regards,
Dave W.
Old 28-08-2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Hey, what do you have to lose on seeing if the workman can return
them? It's an honest mistake....you left them in there. I sure
wouldn't go out to buy new stuff.... I would get them back. It's
your stuff, after all!!!!

I bet they didn't bother looking in the drawer before recycling the
unit. She could call and ask if they have the contents... but what
was in the drawer is most likely history by now.

It was a working stove. The person who took it knew it worked. I doubt
they "recycled" it. Sold it, possibly...

Jill