Old 27-08-2008, 01:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unexpected Kitchen Expense :(

Nancy Young wrote:
"Goomba" wrote

I know is we were happy not to have to pay someone to haul it off and
dispose of it. I have so much in my garage and driveway needing
disposal. What a PITA.

I hear ya, I can't just put stuff like that at the curb. I have to
deal with it, and hiring people to haul it is not cheap. I always
mention if (whatever) is still working, maybe someone would like it. Last
year the tv delivery guy was thrilled to get a big tv that still
works, and I was happy it got a new home.

Don't get me wrong, the appliance store took the old stuff
anyway, but I have on occasion been left with things.

One thing I did a couple of times was rent a truck, one of those
$19.95 a day deals that's really about $50 and get rid of a bunch
of stuff at the recycle center/wherever they take stuff in your
town. Maybe you could do that, clean out your garage.

nancy

1-800-JUNK. (That's not a joke!). When I moved into my apartment I had my
own refrigerator. They took theirs out (and deducted a few bucks off the
monthly rent) and I used mine until it finally died (it was close to 20
years old). When it *did* die I was stuck with getting rid of the old one.
Called 1-800-JUNK and they sent a couple of guys over with a big truck.
They hauled off the refrigerator (to an appropriate disposal place) and an
old overstuffed chair for under $100.

Jill

Old 27-08-2008, 01:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:31:46 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Goomba wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

I've scored so many excellent baking sheets and pans this way.

People buy these things and stash them under the stove, only to be
forgotten about. The cleaners never look down there.

Somebody left a 1/4lb+ of marijuana in the apartment I moved into at
1999 Fountainview Court, Columbus OH (Reynoldsburgh) in 1996 - Along
with 2 Airbake half-sheet pans in that same drawer.

The marijuana was just so-so (considering I just moved from Northern
California) but I still have the Airbake sheet pans cough.

-sw

LOL, one of the neatest features on my new cabinets are the "toe kick"
drawers which if you didn't know existed, you'd .....never know it was
there! We're calling it my "dope drawer" LOL
I've loaded it with infrequently used items such as skewers, rolling
pin, etc.
I wish I had more of these bad boys.. take a peek-
http://i33.tinypic.com/ad0y6v.jpg

I like that drawer idea a lot!!

I also like the idea of built-in baseboard vacuums (I'm sure there's a
proper name for them). You just sweep crumbs up to the baseboard, kick a
switch and they're gone. Probably more trouble cleaning them out than
they're worth, though.

Jill

The baseboards vacuums are part of a whole house vacuum system. The
crumbs and dirt go to the central collection point in the basement or
garage. Change the bag.
Old 27-08-2008, 01:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall
oven. It's in perfect working order too. No bites on Craig's List
and I even offered it up for free on some of the free groups. Guess
I'll trash it.

A story I read. A cooker is put out with a sign 'FREE' no takers. Sign
replaced with '10' sign... cooker stolen)

--
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble;
prosperity is full of friends.

Old 27-08-2008, 02:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

One thing I did a couple of times was rent a truck, one of those
$19.95 a day deals that's really about $50 and get rid of a bunch
of stuff at the recycle center/wherever they take stuff in your
town. Maybe you could do that, clean out your garage.

1-800-JUNK. (That's not a joke!). When I moved into my apartment I had
my own refrigerator. They took theirs out (and deducted a few bucks off
the monthly rent) and I used mine until it finally died (it was close to
20 years old). When it *did* die I was stuck with getting rid of the old
one. Called 1-800-JUNK and they sent a couple of guys over with a big
truck. They hauled off the refrigerator (to an appropriate disposal place)
and an old overstuffed chair for under $100.

I checked into them and their prices were considerably higher
than that here. For one thing, I think our dumping fees are much
higher, though I'm sure they sell appliances to metal scrap dealers.
It sure would have been easier to call someone.

I had other things to do, too, pick up shrubbery, take a door screen
to be fixed, all stuff where it was handy to have a truck. Got my
money's worth.

nancy

Old 27-08-2008, 02:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" wrote

We put our old fridge in the basement. It is working out very well. If I
ever do a remodel again I'm renting one of those dumpsters. They drop it
off, you fill it up, and then they pick it up. I might do it anyway. The
contractors came back last Saturday and are now ripping out more drywall
in other parts of the house this week.

You didn't have a dumpster for your remodel? I had to have one,
the kitchen was torn down to the studs. How else to get rid of all
that crappy paneling?? Heh.

And I called my neighbors and said they could put some stuff in
there if they wanted. Get together with the neighbors and rent
one, everyone has crap to get rid of.

nancy

Old 27-08-2008, 02:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
Michael "Dog3" wrote:
UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall
oven. It's in perfect working order too. No bites on Craig's List
and I even offered it up for free on some of the free groups. Guess
I'll trash it.

A story I read. A cooker is put out with a sign 'FREE' no takers. Sign
replaced with '10' sign... cooker stolen)

I think that's true in a lot of cases! I suppose people assume "free" means
"broken". Still, in Michael's case I'm sure he specified it was in working
order.

Jill

Old 27-08-2008, 02:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote:

snip

UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall oven.
It's in perfect working order too. No bites on Craig's List and I even
offered it up for free on some of the free groups. Guess I'll trash it.

Michael

Michael,

You might consider giving it to, say, Habitat for Humanity or some other
charity that runs a "resale" shop. That would also (probably) get you a
tax deduction. (Claim it is worth a thousand bucks!) The charities are
also usually more than happy to pick it up.

Just a thought,
Dave W.
In the Ozarks
Old 27-08-2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 9:36�am, Dave W wrote:
In article ,
�"Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote:

snip

UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall oven.. �
It's in perfect working order too. �No bites on Craig's List and I even
offered it up for free on some of the free groups. �Guess I'll trash it.

Michael

Michael,

You might consider giving it to, say, Habitat for Humanity or some other
charity that runs a "resale" shop. That would also (probably) get you a
tax deduction. (Claim it is worth a thousand bucks!) The charities are
also usually more than happy to pick it up.

Wishful thinking... those non-profit orgs ain't stoopid... lucky to
get a receipt for $25 on a used oven... and they're not gonna send a
truck to pick up one item. Where I live large kitchen appliances are
best put out at the curb with the trash, my private trash guy charges
$10 to pick up a stove... last time I got lucky, someone glommed my
old stove before trash pick-up day... seems in rural areas folks ain't
picky, any furnishings I put out gets picked up in under an hour. Old
computers I donate to the local school, I have to deliver and last I
delivered a PC they were giving their standard $50 receipt, and that
was for a working PC with monitor, keyboard, and speakers... was way
outdated capacity/speed wise but schools can use them, plenty good
enough for teaching purposes.
Old 27-08-2008, 03:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 5:50�am, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from Goomba contains these words:

The kitchen is coming along nicely, thanks
Except...While the electricians and gas line guy were here last week my
husband mentioned that we were disposing of the old range. He asked if
any of them needed a working gas range? Yeah, apparently one would take
it off our hands.
My fancy new range is now in and I went looking for my broiling pans and
other assorted baking sheets and pans that I stored in the bottom oven
drawer....I'm dying to get up and cooking again.
Uh oh....
Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
pans gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

� �No, he's a guy , like your husband. It's the single-compartment male
brain syndrome.

� Be happy; Damn Hubby has given you the perfect justification to buy
brand new everything to go with your new range. Plus enough ammo for
several future marital debates.

� Janet

Um, not every gal is married to a no good, stoupid, lazy bum... I'm
not even sorry for you.
Old 27-08-2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 27 Aug 2008 06:02:23a, Nancy Young told us...

"jmcquown" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

[...]

Once a month our private-pay rubbish collectors have a large item pickup
day. They will pick up ranges, fridges, large furniture items, large TVs,
etc. this does not cost extra. All you have to do is get it to the curb
on time. Our city imposes fines for any rubbish placed at curbside (even
in standard containers) sooner than the morning of pickup.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 08(VIII)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
4dys 16hrs 8mins
Early to bed and early to rise makes a
man stupid and blind in the eyes.

Old 27-08-2008, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 27 Aug 2008 06:59:24a, Michael "Dog3" told us...

"Nancy Young"
: in rec.food.cooking

You didn't have a dumpster for your remodel? I had to have one,
the kitchen was torn down to the studs. How else to get rid of all
that crappy paneling?? Heh.

No we didn't rent a dumpster. Everything with this remodel has been
hindsight. If I ever do it over again... OTOH, our contractor hauls
most of the stuff away. He has a really big truck. It's not been that
bad but I think the dry wall is going to kill me off. I gave the old
kitchen cabinets away. They are now happily installed in a neighbor's
garage. I wonder if Goomba is using a dumpster.

And I called my neighbors and said they could put some stuff in
there if they wanted. Get together with the neighbors and rent
one, everyone has crap to get rid of.

Ohhhh... that's a really good idea. Might make for a fun block party
type of thing. Good food, good fun and good neighbors. "Bring a hotdish"
and throw you stuff out. Great idea.

Michael

TRASH NITE! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 08(VIII)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
4dys 16hrs 4mins
Tis better to have loved and lost than
just to have lost.
Old 27-08-2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 27 Aug 2008 06:36:31a, Dave W told us...

In article ,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote:

snip

UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall oven.
It's in perfect working order too. No bites on Craig's List and I even
offered it up for free on some of the free groups. Guess I'll trash it.

Michael

Michael,

You might consider giving it to, say, Habitat for Humanity or some other
charity that runs a "resale" shop. That would also (probably) get you a
tax deduction. (Claim it is worth a thousand bucks!) The charities are
also usually more than happy to pick it up.

Just a thought,
Dave W.
In the Ozarks

Most charities in our area will pick nothing up, expecting you to deliver
it to them. I'd sooner throw it away.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 08(VIII)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
4dys 16hrs 3mins
I love cats 'cause they're stranger
than I am!
Old 27-08-2008, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
took it!!

Why blame hubby, it's your stuff, your responsibility.

ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
pans gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

Why not... I'd think most folks would assume, since YOU left it there,
you meant for your old stoveware to go with your old stove... seems
perfectly logical to me.

I used to volunteer a few hours a week reconditioning furniture at a
local thrift shop run by the VFW. You'd be amazed at what was found
inside estate furnishings... very often jewelry and cash in hidden
compartments, old family photos and important documents are very
common. In most cases all the clothing and personal effects were
still in the homes of the deceased when the thrift truck rolled up to
empty the home... people would sew money into the linings. Whenever
possible heirs were notified but about half the time never arrived to
pick over the "things". The rule was to notify legal of any
valuables, but very often it was finders keepers. When people get old
and ill they no longer remember what assets they own, let alone what
valuables they have stashed in their homes. Their heirs have no idea
and don't check very carefully if at all... most times the heirs no
longer live nearby and so liquidate the estate property sight unseen,
they simply sign documents mailed by lawyers. More often than most
people realize there are bank accounts, often sizable, that go
unclaimed and with no activity for however many years is the statute
and then must be turned over to the State. Very often the listed
beneficiary(s) predecease the account owner or can no longer be
located. And even these days most folks have no will. A good lawyer
will always advise folks to list an organization, like a humane
society, as a contingency beneficiary.

Goomba, if you really want your stuff I suggest you call rightaway...
they may not want your old used things and are under no obligation to
keep them safe, they may already be out in the trash. For all you
know they decided they don't want your old stove and either gave it to
a third party or put it out to the curb, maybe never brought it home,
coulda been dropped off at the county dump. The workman might have
thought he had a good find but many women don't want someone's used
stove and cookware.

Old 27-08-2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

[...]

Back home I think it was $25 for the trash guys to pick up oversized items
(like chairs or sofas) and you had to schedule it. They wouldn't do it on
your regular pickup day. They wouldn't take appliances at all.

Jill

Old 27-08-2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Goomba wrote:
Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before
they took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and
jelly roll pans gone! I would have though thunk that the guy
taking the stove home might have realized we didn't mean for ALL
of it to go?? sigh

So call him!! Tonight!

That seems to be the consensus. Goomba seems to think whoever accepted the
stove will get in trouble. I'd bet not.

Jill

I can't imagine why they would get into the soup (OB Food). I could
imagine there would be trouble if the recipient refused to return the
items after a polite request and explanation if the refusal were
reported to the recipient's employer, though.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and