Old 27-08-2008, 12:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unexpected Kitchen Expense :(

The kitchen is coming along nicely, thanks

Except...While the electricians and gas line guy were here last week my
husband mentioned that we were disposing of the old range. He asked if
any of them needed a working gas range? Yeah, apparently one would take
it off our hands.
My fancy new range is now in and I went looking for my broiling pans and
other assorted baking sheets and pans that I stored in the bottom oven
drawer....I'm dying to get up and cooking again.

Uh oh....

Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
pans gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

Old 27-08-2008, 12:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
The kitchen is coming along nicely, thanks

Glad to hear it!

Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before
they took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly
roll pans gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might
have realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

Maybe he didn't look in the drawer, either. Can't you call the guy and
explain the situation?

Jill

Old 27-08-2008, 12:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:31:37 -0400, Goomba
wrote:

The kitchen is coming along nicely, thanks

Except...While the electricians and gas line guy were here last week my
husband mentioned that we were disposing of the old range. He asked if
any of them needed a working gas range? Yeah, apparently one would take
it off our hands.
My fancy new range is now in and I went looking for my broiling pans and
other assorted baking sheets and pans that I stored in the bottom oven
drawer....I'm dying to get up and cooking again.

Uh oh....

Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
pans gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

He probably didn't even look... when our landlord gave us a new stove
(actually his old one but it was still nicer than the one that came
with the apartment), they tossed out our broiler pan and a couple of
cooling racks because I was storing them in the oven drawer... I
forgot they were in there until it was too late! Annoying too, because
the new oven didn't come with a broiler pan so now I don't have one.
Old 27-08-2008, 02:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

You can't contact the person that took the stove and explain that you
left your pans in there by mistake, and that you need them?

That's what I would do...

Christine
Old 27-08-2008, 03:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:

He probably didn't even look... when our landlord gave us a new stove
(actually his old one but it was still nicer than the one that came
with the apartment), they tossed out our broiler pan and a couple of
cooling racks because I was storing them in the oven drawer... I
forgot they were in there until it was too late! Annoying too, because
the new oven didn't come with a broiler pan so now I don't have one.

Same problem here! Since when did ovens not come with broiler pans?? I
thought that was standard practice?

Old 27-08-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

You can't contact the person that took the stove and explain that you
left your pans in there by mistake, and that you need them?

That's what I would do...

Christine

sigh Well, we're not sure which of the workman ended up with it? And
to call the business owner-would that get his employee in any trouble? I
dunno?
We (he!) goofed. I'll just have to order new. I hope whomever ended up
with them appreciate them and use them.
I probably had too many anyway? LOL, not something *you'd* know about, eh?
Goomba- otherwise happy because the granite arrives Friday. Water next!
Old 27-08-2008, 03:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote

Except...While the electricians and gas line guy were here last week my
husband mentioned that we were disposing of the old range. He asked if
any of them needed a working gas range? Yeah, apparently one would take
it off our hands.
My fancy new range is now in and I went looking for my broiling pans and
other assorted baking sheets and pans that I stored in the bottom oven
drawer....I'm dying to get up and cooking again.

Uh oh....

Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
pans gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

Until I decided I wanted to bake something in my new kitchen,
I had no idea I'd left my baking sheets in the old oven. They
wound up wherever it is old appliances go when they die.

I lost something worse, a doorknocker that I paid a lot for, and
went out of my way to purchase. How could I forget to take it
off the old door when I had it replaced? (sigh)

nancy

Old 27-08-2008, 03:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

"Goomba" wrote

Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before
they took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly
roll pans gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might
have realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

Until I decided I wanted to bake something in my new kitchen,
I had no idea I'd left my baking sheets in the old oven. They wound up
wherever it is old appliances go when they die.
I lost something worse, a doorknocker that I paid a lot for, and
went out of my way to purchase. How could I forget to take it
off the old door when I had it replaced? (sigh)

nancy

You too?! LOL.. I'm glad it wasn't just us. Moving everything out of the
kitchen is a huge, HUGE undertaking, isn't it?
And until reading your last sentence, I was wondering why you'd store a
door knocker in the oven drawer....? LOL
I bought another folding metal steam basket today while at the Px. $5.
I doubt the baking sheets will be that reasonably priced?
Old 27-08-2008, 03:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote in message

Uh oh....

Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll pans
gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

He probably never looked. OTOH, take some comfort that the guy's wife
thinks you are the greatest person in the world giving her all those pans.
Maybe she'll bake some cookies for the kids.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Old 27-08-2008, 03:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Goomba wrote:
Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
pans gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

So call him!! Tonight!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and

Old 27-08-2008, 03:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Kajikit wrote:
with the apartment), they tossed out our broiler pan and a couple of
cooling racks because I was storing them in the oven drawer... I
forgot they were in there until it was too late! Annoying too, because
the new oven didn't come with a broiler pan so now I don't have one.

Second-hand stores have lots of broiler pans with racks. Check it out.
Old 27-08-2008, 04:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

He probably never looked. OTOH, take some comfort that the guy's wife
thinks you are the greatest person in the world giving her all those pans.
Maybe she'll bake some cookies for the kids.

Hey.. there is some comfort in that idea. I just hope he did bring them
home and not trash them? They were all great pans. The round ones were
this neat "texture" design that was supposed to help keep things from
sticking. I need to find some more of them. The jelly roll pans were
from restaurant supply house shopping, so I imagine I'll be able to find
them again easily. I've never purchased a broiler pan before
(specifically) as they always came with the ovens.
Old 27-08-2008, 04:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

The kitchen is coming along nicely, thanks

Except...While the electricians and gas line guy were here last week my
husband mentioned that we were disposing of the old range. He asked if
any of them needed a working gas range? Yeah, apparently one would take
it off our hands.
My fancy new range is now in and I went looking for my broiling pans and
other assorted baking sheets and pans that I stored in the bottom oven
drawer....I'm dying to get up and cooking again.

Uh oh....

Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
pans gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

I've scored so many excellent baking sheets and pans this way.

People buy these things and stash them under the stove, only to be
forgotten about. The cleaners never look down there.

Somebody left a 1/4lb+ of marijuana in the apartment I moved into at
1999 Fountainview Court, Columbus OH (Reynoldsburgh) in 1996 - Along
with 2 Airbake half-sheet pans in that same drawer.

The marijuana was just so-so (considering I just moved from Northern
California) but I still have the Airbake sheet pans cough.

-sw
Old 27-08-2008, 04:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

"Goomba" wrote

Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before
they took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly
roll pans gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might
have realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? sigh

Until I decided I wanted to bake something in my new kitchen,
I had no idea I'd left my baking sheets in the old oven. They wound up
wherever it is old appliances go when they die.

I lost something worse, a doorknocker that I paid a lot for, and
went out of my way to purchase. How could I forget to take it
off the old door when I had it replaced? (sigh)

You too?! LOL.. I'm glad it wasn't just us. Moving everything out of the
kitchen is a huge, HUGE undertaking, isn't it?

I looked for those suckers for a while, too ... there was so
much stuff I didn't notice they were missing. Then I remembered
where I stored them.

And until reading your last sentence, I was wondering why you'd store a
door knocker in the oven drawer....? LOL

(laughing) Sorry. I do that.

I bought another folding metal steam basket today while at the Px. $5.
I doubt the baking sheets will be that reasonably priced?

I found a couple at Tuesday Morning once for a good price. Just think,
you won't be redoing your kitchen again, what are the odds you'll lose
the next ones ... you'll have them a long time.

nancy
Old 27-08-2008, 05:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:06:27 -0400, Goomba
wrote:

Christine Dabney wrote:

You can't contact the person that took the stove and explain that you
left your pans in there by mistake, and that you need them?

That's what I would do...

Christine

sigh Well, we're not sure which of the workman ended up with it? And
to call the business owner-would that get his employee in any trouble? I
dunno?

It shouldn't. You were the ones that left them in there...no fault of
the workman.
We (he!) goofed. I'll just have to order new. I hope whomever ended up
with them appreciate them and use them.

Hey, what do you have to lose on seeing if the workman can return
them? It's an honest mistake....you left them in there. I sure
wouldn't go out to buy new stuff.... I would get them back. It's
your stuff, after all!!!!

Christine