Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unexpected kitchen gift!

Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make Christmas
ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss the place. On a whim,
asked a relative in NJ to send me one for that state, to make that
family an ornament.

What came by UPS today was an order from a bakin/candy-supply place*
with cutters representing 49 states (no Hawaii) and the District of
Columbia!

Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the states whose
shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.

Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?

*WWW.sugarcraft.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote in
:

> Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make
> Christmas ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss the
> place. On a whim, asked a relative in NJ to send me one for
> that state, to make that family an ornament.
>
> What came by UPS today was an order from a bakin/candy-supply
> place* with cutters representing 49 states (no Hawaii) and the
> District of Columbia!
>
> Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the states
> whose shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.
>
> Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?
>

> *WWW.sugarcraft.com

Now that is a nice gift.

I received one yesterday.
It's a set called "Tea For Two". Includes: tea, bamboo tea
canister, two mugs, wooden tea tray, two coasters and tea infuser.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message
> Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make Christmas
> ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss the place. On a whim,
> asked a relative in NJ to send me one for that state, to make that
> family an ornament.
>
> What came by UPS today was an order from a bakin/candy-supply place*
> with cutters representing 49 states (no Hawaii) and the District of
> Columbia!
>
> Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the states whose
> shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.
>
> Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?

My husband did come home a week or two ago with a new ceramic chefs' knife,
which thrilled me. My eldest dropped a can on my other ceramic chefs knife a
month or so ago. It chipped the tip off.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?

A Cousances cast iron (unenameled) bread loaf pan; it weighs 4#1.2 oz.
I have also received a bunch of cookbooks I didn't request or have room
for.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
rec.food.cooking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 18:11:28 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make Christmas
>ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss the place. On a whim,
>asked a relative in NJ to send me one for that state, to make that
>family an ornament.
>
>What came by UPS today was an order from a bakin/candy-supply place*
>with cutters representing 49 states (no Hawaii) and the District of
>Columbia!
>
>Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the states whose
>shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.
>
>Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?

I got a stovetop griddle that fits over two burners. It's very old
and has a beautiful seasoning. It's kinda fun to be able to move
stuff around to different areas of heat. Louise paid a buck for it at
a resale store. I love it.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make Christmas
>ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss the place. On a whim,
>asked a relative in NJ to send me one for that state, to make that
>family an ornament.
>
>What came by UPS today was an order from a bakin/candy-supply place*
>with cutters representing 49 states (no Hawaii) and the District of
>Columbia!
>
>Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the states whose
>shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.

i think baking a cookie in the shape of maryland would be tricky.

<http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://commercialphotographers.com/images/map_maryland.jpg&imgrefurl=http://commercialphotographers.com/maryland.htm&h=328&w=418&sz=37&tbnid=l--zEB6ZCmUJ::&tbnh=98&tbnw=125&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmaryland%2Bmap&sa=X&oi=image_result&r esnum=3&ct=image&cd=1>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in
> :
>
> > Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make
> > Christmas ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss the
> > place. On a whim, asked a relative in NJ to send me one for
> > that state, to make that family an ornament.
> >
> > What came by UPS today was an order from a bakin/candy-supply
> > place* with cutters representing 49 states (no Hawaii) and the
> > District of Columbia!
> >
> > Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the states
> > whose shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.
> >
> > Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?
> >

> > *WWW.sugarcraft.com

> Now that is a nice gift.
>
> I received one yesterday.
> It's a set called "Tea For Two". Includes: tea, bamboo tea
> canister, two mugs, wooden tea tray, two coasters and tea infuser.

That also is a nice gift. What sort of tea?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> > Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make Christmas
> > ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss the place. On a whim,
> > asked a relative in NJ to send me one for that state, to make that
> > family an ornament.
> >
> > What came by UPS today was an order from a bakin/candy-supply place*
> > with cutters representing 49 states (no Hawaii) and the District of
> > Columbia!
> >
> > Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the states whose
> > shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.
> >
> > Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?
> >

> My husband did come home a week or two ago with a new ceramic chefs' knife,
> which thrilled me. My eldest dropped a can on my other ceramic chefs knife a
> month or so ago. It chipped the tip off.
>
> kimberly

Have never tried one of those. Better than steel?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:02:54 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 18:11:28 -0600, Arri London >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make Christmas
>> >ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss the place. On a whim,
>> >asked a relative in NJ to send me one for that state, to make that
>> >family an ornament.
>> >
>> >What came by UPS today was an order from a bakin/candy-supply place*
>> >with cutters representing 49 states (no Hawaii) and the District of
>> >Columbia!
>> >
>> >Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the states whose
>> >shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.
>> >
>> >Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?

>> I got a stovetop griddle that fits over two burners. It's very old
>> and has a beautiful seasoning. It's kinda fun to be able to move
>> stuff around to different areas of heat. Louise paid a buck for it at
>> a resale store. I love it.
>>
>> Lou

>Now I'm jealous! Those are great.

I had one that was made for camping and wasn't long enough to use
properly over two burners. This one is 22" X 11" plus the lip. I
sold the other one in a garage sale for buck, so I guess this one was
free.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?

> A Cousances cast iron (unenameled) bread loaf pan; it weighs 4#1.2 oz.
> I have also received a bunch of cookbooks I didn't request or have room
> for.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Very nice gifts.

I may have missed your reply on peeling the green bit from watermelon
rind. Could you tell me again what you use? We just bought another
watermelon and I'd like to try pickling the rind. Ta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 18:11:28 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make Christmas
> >ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss the place. On a whim,
> >asked a relative in NJ to send me one for that state, to make that
> >family an ornament.
> >
> >What came by UPS today was an order from a bakin/candy-supply place*
> >with cutters representing 49 states (no Hawaii) and the District of
> >Columbia!
> >
> >Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the states whose
> >shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.
> >
> >Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?

> I got a stovetop griddle that fits over two burners. It's very old
> and has a beautiful seasoning. It's kinda fun to be able to move
> stuff around to different areas of heat. Louise paid a buck for it at
> a resale store. I love it.
>
> Lou

Now I'm jealous! Those are great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Arri London >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?

> > A Cousances cast iron (unenameled) bread loaf pan; it weighs 4#1.2 oz.
> > I have also received a bunch of cookbooks I didn't request or have room
> > for.
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

> Very nice gifts.
>
> I may have missed your reply on peeling the green bit from watermelon
> rind. Could you tell me again what you use? We just bought another
> watermelon and I'd like to try pickling the rind. Ta.

You did miss it. Or it was posted somewhere else. Star brand peeler
made in Switzerland. U-shape. Google turned it up.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
rec.food.cooking
Preserved Fruit Administrator
"Always in a jam. Never in a stew." - Evergene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote in
:

> sandi wrote:
>>
>> Arri London > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make
>> > Christmas ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss
>> > the place. On a whim, asked a relative in NJ to send me one
>> > for that state, to make that family an ornament.
>> >
>> > What came by UPS today was an order from a
>> > bakin/candy-supply place* with cutters representing 49
>> > states (no Hawaii) and the District of Columbia!
>> >
>> > Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the
>> > states whose shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.
>> >
>> > Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?
>> >

>> > *WWW.sugarcraft.com

>> Now that is a nice gift.
>>
>> I received one yesterday.
>> It's a set called "Tea For Two". Includes: tea, bamboo tea
>> canister, two mugs, wooden tea tray, two coasters and tea
>> infuser.

> That also is a nice gift. What sort of tea?

Green tea. I like that. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss > wrote in

> I got a stovetop griddle that fits over two burners. It's
> very old and has a beautiful seasoning. It's kinda fun to be
> able to move stuff around to different areas of heat. Louise
> paid a buck for it at a resale store. I love it.
>
> Lou

Lucky, lucky you!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 1:02*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 18:11:28 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make Christmas
> >ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss the place. On a whim,
> >asked a relative in NJ to send me one for that state, to make that
> >family an ornament.

> >What came by UPS today was an order from a bakin/candy-supply place*
> >with cutters representing 49 states (no Hawaii) and the District of
> >Columbia!

> >Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the states whose
> >shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.

> i think baking a cookie in the shape of maryland would be tricky.
>
> <http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://commercialphotographers.co....>
>
> your pal,
> blake
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Um . . . how do you tell the difference between Colorado and New
Mexico?

Lynn from Fargo
Proud owner of many cutters including
North Dakota and Minnesota

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jul 2008 02:01:06 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>Lou Decruss > wrote in
>
>> I got a stovetop griddle that fits over two burners. It's
>> very old and has a beautiful seasoning. It's kinda fun to be
>> able to move stuff around to different areas of heat. Louise
>> paid a buck for it at a resale store. I love it.
>>
>> Lou

>Lucky, lucky you!!

Thanks. I'm lucky for many reasons, including the pan.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?

Well, it wasn't a kitchen gift, it was just a gift that will keep on
giving: the contract lawyer in our office who is a complete, total,
unredeemable idiot got fired. We will be moron-free on the 31st - and
another good part? I go on a 2 week vacay on the 18th, so I
essentially only have to deal with the maroon for another 6 business
days. Whoo hoo!

OB: Made a batch of apple fritters for the first time this past week.
Note to self: fritters are nasty. Do not make again. Ever.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 09 Jul 2008 10:24:53p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

> "Arri London" > wrote in message

>> Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?

> Well, it wasn't a kitchen gift, it was just a gift that will keep on
> giving: the contract lawyer in our office who is a complete, total,
> unredeemable idiot got fired. We will be moron-free on the 31st - and
> another good part? I go on a 2 week vacay on the 18th, so I
> essentially only have to deal with the maroon for another 6 business
> days. Whoo hoo!

Lucky you, on both counts!

> OB: Made a batch of apple fritters for the first time this past week.
> Note to self: fritters are nasty. Do not make again. Ever.

Good grief! What did you do to them? Fritters are usually delicious. How
were they nasty?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 07(VII)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Nexis wrote:
>>
>> "Arri London" > wrote in message
>> > Bought a biscuit/cookie cutter in the shape of NM to make Christmas
>> > ornaments for some 'ex-pats' who actually miss the place. On a whim,
>> > asked a relative in NJ to send me one for that state, to make that
>> > family an ornament.
>> >
>> > What came by UPS today was an order from a bakin/candy-supply place*
>> > with cutters representing 49 states (no Hawaii) and the District of
>> > Columbia!
>> >
>> > Now I need to sit down with the atlas to sort out the states whose
>> > shapes aren't familiar to me LOL.
>> >
>> > Anyone else get an unexpected kitchen gift lately?
>> >

>> My husband did come home a week or two ago with a new ceramic chefs'
>> knife,
>> which thrilled me. My eldest dropped a can on my other ceramic chefs
>> knife a
>> month or so ago. It chipped the tip off.
>>
>> kimberly

> Have never tried one of those. Better than steel?

They each have their uses...I use the ceramic knife for things like slicing
tomatoes, slicing thin slices of fruits and vegatables, slicing meats for
stir-fry (which I can get way thinner with the ceramic), etc. I still use
steel for dicing, chopping, etc.

I love the ceramic, but I would definitely want both.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:02:43 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>i think baking a cookie in the shape of maryland would be tricky.

Baking square state cookies is a breeze. I love to do South Dakota
and Iowa is fun too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 19:39:41 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>Um . . . how do you tell the difference between Colorado and New
>Mexico?

Well duhhh.........by the location of the Capitol. <vbg>

You being from Fargo is a "piece of cookie (cake)" to make...you got
it easy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 19:39:41 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:
>
>>Um . . . how do you tell the difference between Colorado and New
>>Mexico?

I got a big Tennessee cookie cutter and we use it to cut out bread and
make pimento cheese sandwiches. It is a hit at Tupperware and keg
parties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 10 Jul 2008 02:38:52a, Janet Baraclough told us...

> The message >
> from blake murphy > contains these words:
>
>> i think baking a cookie in the shape of maryland would be tricky.

> As a Brit, I'd sooner eat Texas.
>
> Janet.

And then the movie, "Janet, the Brit Who Ate Texas!"

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 07(VII)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 06:49:40 -0400, Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom>
wrote:

>>On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 19:39:41 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:
>>
>>>Um . . . how do you tell the difference between Colorado and New
>>>Mexico?

>I got a big Tennessee cookie cutter and we use it to cut out bread and
>make pimento cheese sandwiches. It is a hit at Tupperware and keg
>parties.

i hope the same people aren't at both. on the other hand, it could be
interesting.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:38:52 +0100, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

>The message >
>from blake murphy > contains these words:
>
>> i think baking a cookie in the shape of maryland would be tricky.

> As a Brit, I'd sooner eat Texas.
>
> Janet.

with beans or without?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 5:49*am, Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote:
> >On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 19:39:41 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> > wrote:

> >>Um . . . how do you tell the difference between Colorado and New
> >>Mexico?

> I got a big Tennessee cookie cutter and we use it to cut out bread and
> make pimento cheese sandwiches. * *It is a hit at Tupperware and keg
> parties. *

====================================

OOPS! I meant Colorado and Wyomiing
If you have Oklahoma, I bet the panhandles break off 95% of the time!
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from Terry Pulliam Burd > contains these words:
>
>> OB: Made a batch of apple fritters for the first time this past week.
>> Note to self: fritters are nasty. Do not make again. Ever.

> Fritters is fantastic!
> Apple fritters, banana fritters, orange fritters....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>
> Janet

I'd have to agree with Terry. Little greasy fat bombs. Ugh.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 19:39:41 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Um . . . how do you tell the difference between Colorado and New
>>> Mexico?

> I got a big Tennessee cookie cutter and we use it to cut out bread and
> make pimento cheese sandwiches. It is a hit at Tupperware and keg
> parties.

Is Tennessee the one shaped like a parallelogram or am I thinking of
Oklahoma?

;-)
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:02:22 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Janet Baraclough wrote:
>> The message >
>> from Terry Pulliam Burd > contains these words:
>>
>>> OB: Made a batch of apple fritters for the first time this past week.
>>> Note to self: fritters are nasty. Do not make again. Ever.

>> Fritters is fantastic!
>> Apple fritters, banana fritters, orange fritters....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>> Janet

>I'd have to agree with Terry. Little greasy fat bombs. Ugh.
>
>gloria p

Y'all who don't like fritters haven't had great ones.

My mother made them all the time when I was growing up: corn and apple
fritters. If they are made well, they are not greasy and can be very
light.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:02:22 -0600, Gloria P >
> wrote:
>
>>Janet Baraclough wrote:
>>> The message >
>>> from Terry Pulliam Burd > contains these

words:

week.

>>> Fritters is fantastic!
>>> Apple fritters, banana fritters, orange fritters....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>>
>>> Janet

>>I'd have to agree with Terry. Little greasy fat bombs. Ugh.
>>
>>gloria p

> Y'all who don't like fritters haven't had great ones.
>
> My mother made them all the time when I was growing up: corn and apple
> fritters. If they are made well, they are not greasy and can be very
> light.
>
> Christine

So post the recipe all ready!!!

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:24:36 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>Christine Dabney > wrote in

>>>I'd have to agree with Terry. Little greasy fat bombs. Ugh.
>>>
>>>gloria p

>> Y'all who don't like fritters haven't had great ones.
>>
>> My mother made them all the time when I was growing up: corn and apple
>> fritters. If they are made well, they are not greasy and can be very
>> light.
>>
>> Christine
>>

>So post the recipe all ready!!!

I don't have a recipe. In fact, even though my mother made them, I
haven't in years and years. I am pretty sure I did under her tutelage
when I was growing up, but I haven't done it in a very, very, very
long time. Like at least 40 years...LOL.

Hmm...I should go looking for one..and try them again. I loved the
corn fritters my mother made.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 05:27:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>On Wed 09 Jul 2008 10:24:53p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

>> OB: Made a batch of apple fritters for the first time this past week.
>> Note to self: fritters are nasty. Do not make again. Ever.

>Good grief! What did you do to them? Fritters are usually delicious. How
>were they nasty?

They were a complete grease-a-rama. My mother made these things when I
was a kid and I don't recall them being, essentially, pureed apple
grease blobs. Tasteless, greasy and nasty. I made them from a Food
Network recipe, as I don't have my mother's recipe.

The recipe I followed:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Apple Fritters

desserts

1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
juice of one lemon
1/4 cup water
2 cups chopped apples
splash apple brandy
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs, separated
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
drizzle cane syrup
confectioners' sugar

Preheat a deep fryer.

In a saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar and cook for
30 seconds to dissolve the sugar. Add the lemon juice, water, apples,
brandy and cinnamon. Cook the apples for about 3 to 5 minutes or until
the apples start to wilt. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, melted butter and cooled
apple mixture. Stir in the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture.
Blend until the batter is incorporated. Cover the batter, place in the
refrigerator and let rest for 2 to 4 hours.

In a standing mixer or with a whisk, beat egg whites until stiff.
Remove the batter from the refrigerator and blend until smooth. Fold
in the beaten egg white. Using a large spoon, drop the batter into the
hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from
the oil and drain on paper-lined plate.

To serve, Mound the warm fritters on a platter and drizzle with cane
syrup. Garnish the fritters with powdered sugar.

Contributor: Food Network

If anyone has a decent recipe for apple fritters that actually *taste
good* please lemmeno.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:45:29 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\"" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>I think a cookie in the shape of Missouri would be awesome. I want one.

Okay, kiddo, go he

http://www.foosecookiecutters.com/store/state1.html

--

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"

-- W.C. Fields
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

>They were a complete grease-a-rama. My mother made these things when I
>was a kid and I don't recall them being, essentially, pureed apple
>grease blobs. Tasteless, greasy and nasty. I made them from a Food
>Network recipe, as I don't have my mother's recipe.

>The recipe I followed:

[snip]

This recipe doesn't say what temperature to fry them at.

The other variable I can think of is depending on how sweet the
apples are, there is an unknown ratio of sugar in the mixture.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.83 **

PSST! v5.84 has been out a while.

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 10 Jul 2008 10:40:50p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 05:27:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > fired up random neurons and synapses to
> opine:
>
>>On Wed 09 Jul 2008 10:24:53p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

>>> OB: Made a batch of apple fritters for the first time this past week.
>>> Note to self: fritters are nasty. Do not make again. Ever.

>>Good grief! What did you do to them? Fritters are usually delicious.
>>How were they nasty?

> They were a complete grease-a-rama. My mother made these things when I
> was a kid and I don't recall them being, essentially, pureed apple
> grease blobs. Tasteless, greasy and nasty. I made them from a Food
> Network recipe, as I don't have my mother's recipe.
>
> The recipe I followed:
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Apple Fritters
>
> desserts
>
> 1 tablespoon butter
> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
> juice of one lemon
> 1/4 cup water
> 2 cups chopped apples
> splash apple brandy
> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
> 2 eggs, separated
> 2/3 cup milk
> 1 tablespoon melted butter
> 1 cup sifted flour
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 tablespoon sugar
> drizzle cane syrup
> confectioners' sugar
>
> Preheat a deep fryer.
>
> In a saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar and cook for
> 30 seconds to dissolve the sugar. Add the lemon juice, water, apples,
> brandy and cinnamon. Cook the apples for about 3 to 5 minutes or until
> the apples start to wilt. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
> In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, melted butter and cooled
> apple mixture. Stir in the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture.
> Blend until the batter is incorporated. Cover the batter, place in the
> refrigerator and let rest for 2 to 4 hours.
>
> In a standing mixer or with a whisk, beat egg whites until stiff.
> Remove the batter from the refrigerator and blend until smooth. Fold
> in the beaten egg white. Using a large spoon, drop the batter into the
> hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from
> the oil and drain on paper-lined plate.
>
> To serve, Mound the warm fritters on a platter and drizzle with cane
> syrup. Garnish the fritters with powdered sugar.
>
> Contributor: Food Network
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.83 **
>
> If anyone has a decent recipe for apple fritters that actually *taste
> good* please lemmeno.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> --

Two comments, Terry. I would probably not pre-cook the apples, or at least
barely cook them at all. Second, the greasiness was probably caused by oil
that was not hot enough. That's typical of almost any deep-fried food.
Low temp = greasiness.

I'll have to look for the fritter recipe I have used in the past.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 07(VII)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
My moral standing is lying down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:02:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Two comments, Terry. I would probably not pre-cook the apples, or at least
>barely cook them at all. Second, the greasiness was probably caused by oil
>that was not hot enough. That's typical of almost any deep-fried food.
>Low temp = greasiness.
>
>I'll have to look for the fritter recipe I have used in the past.

I don't remember my mother precooking apples for fritters. By the
time the fritters were done, the apples were just cooked...

And I think she pan fried hers...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:02:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>Two comments, Terry. I would probably not pre-cook the apples, or at least
>barely cook them at all.

Another thought. I seem to remember the batter she used was sort of
like pancake batter. And the apples were cut in slices like for an
apple pie..and there were about 2-3 slices per fritter...

Of course, it has been years and years since I have had these, so my
memory might be hazy on all of this.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:00:18 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:
>
>I don't have a recipe. In fact, even though my mother made them, I
>haven't in years and years. I am pretty sure I did under her tutelage
>when I was growing up, but I haven't done it in a very, very, very
>long time. Like at least 40 years...LOL.
>
>Hmm...I should go looking for one..and try them again. I loved the
>corn fritters my mother made.

The idea of corn fritters sounds good. Not so sure about apple
fritters.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> I got a stovetop griddle that fits over two burners. It's very old
>> and has a beautiful seasoning. It's kinda fun to be able to move
>> stuff around to different areas of heat. Louise paid a buck for it at
>> a resale store. I love it.
>>
>> Lou

>Now I'm jealous! Those are great.

Heh. I have two (inherited one somehow) and I don't like either one.
I got it for the grill side, but the griddle side isn't very good
either.

Mae West