Old 27-08-2008, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unexpected Kitchen Expense :(

Nancy Young wrote:

I hear ya, I can't just put stuff like that at the curb. I have to deal
with it, and hiring people to haul it is not cheap.

Where I live, the city will schedule up to one "major pickup
day" per year per residence. There are some restrictions,
of course, but you can mostly get rid of your bulky items
that way.

The major hassle is when you do this, and start piling
stuff onto the curb, casual passerby start adding their
own stuff including prohibited items. So you kind of
have to keep your eye on it, and be prepared to harass
people.

Actually it's kinda fun.

Steve

Old 27-08-2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

No, he's a guy , like your husband. It's the single-compartment male
brain syndrome.

Be happy; Damn Hubby has given you the perfect justification to buy
brand new everything to go with your new range. Plus enough ammo for
several future marital debates.

Janet

LOL, oh this is sooooooooooooooo accurate!!!
Old 27-08-2008, 07:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

No we didn't rent a dumpster. Everything with this remodel has been
hindsight. If I ever do it over again... OTOH, our contractor hauls
most of the stuff away. He has a really big truck. It's not been that
bad but I think the dry wall is going to kill me off. I gave the old
kitchen cabinets away. They are now happily installed in a neighbor's
garage. I wonder if Goomba is using a dumpster.

No dumpster here. The contractor removing the cabinets hung a few in our
garage for use out there and he hauled off the others to the dump.
Somehow we still ended up with two box cabinets to dispose of? Perhaps
they were placed into the garage hoping to fit in and they didn't?
Appliances were all working. I did manage to get someone to haul the
dishwasher off (Sears delivery guy, I recall? He wasn't thrilled to do
it but he did it anyway). The range went with either the gas man or one
of the electrician's guys. The fridge still is in the garage (running,
as my hsuband doesn't want it to develop an odor) but it won't fit there
permanently. It is too large, I have a standing freezer out there
already and I want my car to go back in eventually....sigh
Old 27-08-2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

No dumpster here. The contractor removing the cabinets hung a few in our
garage for use out there and he hauled off the others to the dump.
Somehow we still ended up with two box cabinets to dispose of? Perhaps
they were placed into the garage hoping to fit in and they didn't?
Appliances were all working. I did manage to get someone to haul the
dishwasher off (Sears delivery guy, I recall? He wasn't thrilled to do
it but he did it anyway). The range went with either the gas man or one
of the electrician's guys. The fridge still is in the garage (running,
as my hsuband doesn't want it to develop an odor) but it won't fit there
permanently. It is too large, I have a standing freezer out there
already and I want my car to go back in eventually....sigh

You put your car in your garage?

No wonder you have a storage problem!

S.
Old 27-08-2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

Nancy Young wrote:

I hear ya, I can't just put stuff like that at the curb. I have to deal
with it, and hiring people to haul it is not cheap.

Where I live, the city will schedule up to one "major pickup
day" per year per residence. There are some restrictions,
of course, but you can mostly get rid of your bulky items
that way.

The major hassle is when you do this, and start piling
stuff onto the curb, casual passerby start adding their
own stuff including prohibited items. So you kind of
have to keep your eye on it, and be prepared to harass
people.

Actually it's kinda fun.

Fun? Steve, you need a better hobby.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old 27-08-2008, 07:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 9:15*am, Sheldon wrote:
On Aug 27, 9:36 am, Dave W wrote:

In article ,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote:

snip

UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall oven.
It's in perfect working order too. No bites on Craig's List and I even
offered it up for free on some of the free groups. Guess I'll trash it.

Old 27-08-2008, 07:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

Steve Pope wrote:

The major hassle is when you do this, and start piling
stuff onto the curb, casual passerby start adding their
own stuff including prohibited items. So you kind of
have to keep your eye on it, and be prepared to harass
people.

Actually it's kinda fun.

Fun? Steve, you need a better hobby.

It beats lots of things I've been spending time on, like
sending out my resume in the middle of a recession...

Steve
Old 27-08-2008, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:

Steve Pope wrote:

The major hassle is when you do this, and start piling
stuff onto the curb, casual passerby start adding their
own stuff including prohibited items. So you kind of
have to keep your eye on it, and be prepared to harass
people.

Actually it's kinda fun.

Fun? Steve, you need a better hobby.

It beats lots of things I've been spending time on, like
sending out my resume in the middle of a recession...

I can imagine. Good luck with that.

What's your skill/profession/gig, Steve?

Old 27-08-2008, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

Steve Pope wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:

Steve Pope wrote:

The major hassle is when you do this, and start piling
stuff onto the curb, casual passerby start adding their
own stuff including prohibited items. So you kind of
have to keep your eye on it, and be prepared to harass
people.

Actually it's kinda fun.

Fun? Steve, you need a better hobby.

It beats lots of things I've been spending time on, like
sending out my resume in the middle of a recession...

I can imagine. Good luck with that.

What's your skill/profession/gig, Steve?

Thanks. I'm an unemployed... er that's retired electronic engineer.

Steve
Old 27-08-2008, 08:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:49:35 -0700, Blinky the Shark
wrote:

Steve Pope wrote:

Nancy Young wrote:

I hear ya, I can't just put stuff like that at the curb. I have to deal
with it, and hiring people to haul it is not cheap.

Where I live, the city will schedule up to one "major pickup
day" per year per residence. There are some restrictions,
of course, but you can mostly get rid of your bulky items
that way.

The major hassle is when you do this, and start piling
stuff onto the curb, casual passerby start adding their
own stuff including prohibited items. So you kind of
have to keep your eye on it, and be prepared to harass
people.

Actually it's kinda fun.

Fun? Steve, you need a better hobby.

Yeah, like attacking swimmers etc...;-)

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 8/27

Old 27-08-2008, 09:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Steve Pope wrote:

Nancy Young wrote:

I hear ya, I can't just put stuff like that at the curb. I have to deal
with it, and hiring people to haul it is not cheap.

Where I live, the city will schedule up to one "major pickup
day" per year per residence. There are some restrictions,
of course, but you can mostly get rid of your bulky items
that way.

The major hassle is when you do this, and start piling
stuff onto the curb, casual passerby start adding their
own stuff including prohibited items. So you kind of
have to keep your eye on it, and be prepared to harass
people.

Actually it's kinda fun.

Fun? Steve, you need a better hobby.

Yeah, like attacking swimmers etc...;-)

That would be one example, yeah.

Old 27-08-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:17:41 -0400, Goomba
wrote:

Christine Dabney wrote:

sigh Well, we're not sure which of the workman ended up with it? And
to call the business owner-would that get his employee in any trouble? I
dunno?

It shouldn't. You were the ones that left them in there...no fault of
the workman.

Not sure if accepting cast off appliances as a "tip" is encouraged? All
I know is we were happy not to have to pay someone to haul it off and
dispose of it. I have so much in my garage and driveway needing
disposal. What a PITA.

Anyone need a decent refrigerator? LOL

Get in touch with Habitat for Humanity. They take usable appliances
and around here they will pick up. Charitable contribution.
Old 27-08-2008, 09:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
Michael "Dog3" wrote:
UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall
oven. It's in perfect working order too. No bites on Craig's List
and I even offered it up for free on some of the free groups. Guess
I'll trash it.

A story I read. A cooker is put out with a sign 'FREE' no takers. Sign
replaced with '?10' sign... cooker stolen)

In Blacksburg they have Spring and Fall Cleanup days. Basically, they
will pick up pretty much anything you can haul to the curb by Monday
morning of the cleanup week for your section. They won't take old tires
or hazardous waste (like old paint), but pretty much anything else.
I once had them haul away the rubble from the old front stoop I had
jackhammered into pieces. No charge, just have to wait for the right
week to put it out there.

Now any appliance or furniture or stuff that might even be remotely
useful will get picked up by scavangers in pickup trucks before the
town crews come around. Some will ask if it's OK to take it if they
happen to see you, but don't count on it. I put a really old, but
still functional, washer out one time and an older couple in a pickup
truck seemed very happy when I told them that it worked. Metal of
almost any sort disappears quickly these days.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Old 27-08-2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 27 Aug 2008 01:46:29p, Michael "Dog3" told us...

Goomba : in
rec.food.cooking

No dumpster here. The contractor removing the cabinets hung a few in

our
garage for use out there and he hauled off the others to the dump.
Somehow we still ended up with two box cabinets to dispose of? Perhaps
they were placed into the garage hoping to fit in and they didn't?
Appliances were all working. I did manage to get someone to haul the
dishwasher off (Sears delivery guy, I recall? He wasn't thrilled to do
it but he did it anyway). The range went with either the gas man or one
of the electrician's guys. The fridge still is in the garage (running,
as my hsuband doesn't want it to develop an odor) but it won't fit

there
permanently. It is too large, I have a standing freezer out there
already and I want my car to go back in eventually....sigh

Ain't remodeling FUN EG? We had a crisis this morning which is remodel
related. We ordered our bar stools about a month ago. We really liked
the ones we ordered. Well, they get here and they are perfect... until
the last one is brought in. The fabric we ordered for the seats is a
solid color called "taupe" for some reason. I consider it a greyish
brown. Anyway when the guy brought in the 4th stool the frame was fine.
The fabric on the seat was a bizarre plaid color with lots of red, blue
and green in it. We have been assured by the store where we ordered it
from the new seat will be here within a week. Uh-huh...

Michael

Try to think of it as an "accent" cushion. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 08(VIII)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
4dys 10hrs 7mins
'All that we are is the result of what
we have thought'
Old 27-08-2008, 11:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

LOL, one of the neatest features on my new cabinets are the "toe kick"
drawers which if you didn't know existed, you'd .....never know it was
there! We're calling it my "dope drawer" LOL
I've loaded it with infrequently used items such as skewers, rolling
pin, etc.
I wish I had more of these bad boys.. take a peek-
http://i33.tinypic.com/ad0y6v.jpg

Hey, I love 'em! "Dope drawer" is a good name.

Becca