Old 03-08-2008, 08:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easy "Asian" Chicken Dish

It's not a real stir fry though I used a bottled stir fry sauce, but it is
easy and good.

I had some leg quarters I wanted to use, so I skinned them and marinated
them overnight in soy, fresh crushed ginger and garlic, molasses, cracked
pepper, and enough water to cover. Oven-broiled them at 400 for 40 minutes,
and made some Jasmine Rice on top of the stove and "Seasoned Asian
Vegetables" (Pictsweet bagged and frozen) in the microwave.

I took the meat off the bone in largish pieces, tossed it in a big bowl with
the vegetables and bottles stir fry, and served over rice. It has a nice,
sweet, tangy, smoky flavor. The sauce I like is called "House of Tsang." I
have no doubt this is MUCH better actually stir-fried and with homemade
sauce, but I still like it.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

It's not a real stir fry though I used a bottled stir fry sauce, but it is
easy and good.

Bottled "stir-fry" sauce? shiver.

Just buy some oyster sauce, rice wine (not sake), and some chicken
base (for making chicken stock).

Black bean sauce, sesame oil, Kimlan soy sauce are optional, but
always good to have on hand.

-sw

Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 3, 12:29*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
It's not a real stir fry though I used a bottled stir fry sauce, but it is
easy and good.

I had some leg quarters I wanted to use, so I skinned them and marinated
them overnight in soy, fresh crushed ginger and garlic, molasses, cracked
pepper, and enough water to cover. Oven-broiled them at 400 for 40 minutes,
and made some Jasmine Rice on top of the stove and "Seasoned Asian
Vegetables" (Pictsweet bagged and frozen) in the microwave.

I took the meat off the bone in largish pieces, tossed it in a big bowl with
the vegetables and bottles stir fry, and served over rice. It has a nice,
sweet, tangy, smoky flavor. The sauce I like is called "House of Tsang." I
have no doubt this is MUCH better actually stir-fried and with homemade
sauce, but I still like it.

The marinade sounds good, though I'd have added some rice wine or
sherry to it. With already seasoned vegetables and chicken with that
long marinade, why did you need to add bottled sauce? -aem
Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" wrote:
The marinade sounds good, though I'd have added some rice wine or
sherry to it. With already seasoned vegetables and chicken with that
long marinade, why did you need to add bottled sauce?

Because I like it. I did not add much, as it turned out it was just
enough to get the rice dirty. It wasn't swimming or anything.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

The marinade sounds good, though I'd have added some rice wine or
sherry to it. With already seasoned vegetables and chicken with that
long marinade, why did you need to add bottled sauce? -aem

Why'd she have to add water?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:

It's not a real stir fry though I used a bottled stir fry sauce, but it
is
easy and good.

Bottled "stir-fry" sauce? shiver.

Just buy some oyster sauce, rice wine (not sake), and some chicken
base (for making chicken stock).

No.

sigh You can lead a horse to hay, but you still can't make it
taste good.

-sw
Old 03-08-2008, 11:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:25:28 GMT, "l, not -l" wrote:

"buy some oyster sauce"???? You don't make your own; I'm shocked?

I bet you make your own molassas, scrape yeast off the grapes for
bread, fresh butter churned from the cow and homemade peanut butter
from the peanut crop about to come in. And instead of using paper
doilies...you crochet your own. You are just TOO Martha! I wish I
had that much ambition.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:

It's not a real stir fry though I used a bottled stir fry sauce, but it

is
easy and good.

Bottled "stir-fry" sauce? shiver.

Just buy some oyster sauce, rice wine (not sake), and some chicken
base (for making chicken stock).

"buy some oyster sauce"???? You don't make your own; I'm shocked?

Why bother? It's like making your own ketchup - it never tastes as
good as the premium oyster sauces in the bottles. Even the article
where you plagiarized this recipe says that.

And they cost less, too.

Will keep up to one week in the refrigerator.

And last much longer.

-sw
Old 03-08-2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

"l, not -l" wrote:

"buy some oyster sauce"???? You don't make your own; I'm shocked?

Why bother? It's like making your own ketchup - it never tastes as
good as the premium oyster sauces in the bottles. Even the article
where you plagiarized this recipe says that.

It's called sarcasm.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 15:28:28 -0700, Mark Thorson
wrote:

It's called sarcasm.

Didn't sound to like that to me either.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:

It's not a real stir fry though I used a bottled stir fry sauce, but it
is
easy and good.

Bottled "stir-fry" sauce? shiver.

Just buy some oyster sauce, rice wine (not sake), and some chicken
base (for making chicken stock).

No.

sigh You can lead a horse to hay, but you still can't make it
taste good.

Word is I taste fabulous.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote in message
aem wrote:

The marinade sounds good, though I'd have added some rice wine or
sherry to it. With already seasoned vegetables and chicken with that
long marinade, why did you need to add bottled sauce? -aem

Why'd she have to add water?

Because this was six chicken legs and six chicken thighs in a deep pyrex
baking dish and there's no reason to use *all* of my soy sauce for a
marinade. Discovered early after I did so a few times.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote:

On 3-Aug-2008, Billy [email protected] wrote:

It's called sarcasm.

Didn't sound to like that to me either.

I'll try to do better next time, so you can catch on.

No! No! Don't do that! It dilutes the sarcasm.

Sarcasm is best when it takes in a sucker or two.