Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Like Walnuts

The California Walnut web site has pdf files of walnut recipes to
download (no charge).
http://www.walnuts.org/dyn.php/site/..._consumer.html

I don't work there, but I do like walnuts.

Honey Walnut Spread

This sweet, fruity spread studded with golden walnuts
perfectly complements savory goat cheese on a toasty
baguette. As a simple but dazzling appetizer or a snack
paired with a glass of wine, it’s nothing less than divine.

RECIPE COURTESY CHEF ROXANNE O’BRIEN, TAYLOR’S MARKET, SACRAMENTO, CA

2 cups (8 ounces) California walnuts
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup (about 4 ounces) dried pears, cut in 1/4-inch dice
2 teaspoons herbes de Provence, or mixed Italian herbs
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
12 slices baguette-type French bread, (16 ounces), cut diagonally,

about 1/2-inch thick
4 ounces (1/2 cup) plain California goat cheese

Preheat the broiler.
Chop 1 cup of the walnuts coarsely; chop the remaining cup
of nuts finely. Place all the nuts in a large bowl and add the
honey, pears, herbes de Provence, coriander, orange zest,

orange juice, lemon juice and salt. Beat vigorously until
completely mixed. Set aside.
Slice baguette on the diagonal into about 12 slices. Place on
a baking sheet. Cut the cheese into pieces and divide
among the baguette slices. Broil until cheese is just melted
and spread cheese uniformly on slice. (Broil about 4 inches
from heat, just to warm the bread and soften the cheese –
watch closely, this only takes a moment.) Top each with a
spoonful of Honey Walnut Spread and serve immediately.

SERVES 12

If you don't like goat cheese, I imagine cream cheese would work just
as well and you wouldn't need to broil it.

Enjoy!

Mae West

Macaroni & Walnuts chet General Cooking 2 21-12-2012 11:16 AM
walnuts Mike[_43_] Winemaking 4 05-02-2009 09:57 AM
Panocha Walnuts Rusty Recipes (moderated) 0 18-08-2006 03:17 AM
Candied Walnuts Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 12-12-2004 07:07 PM
walnuts john Preserving 6 30-09-2004 02:45 PM