Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Family Recipe Collections and Nostalgia

Another thread had me digging out my late mother's handwritten
recipes, which I hadn't looked at in *years* I had mostly (I thought)
copied old family favorites into Mastercook software, later folded
same into Now You're Cooking! The recipe software is great stuff, but
looking through my mother's handwritten recipes was something akin to
a roll call of my family's friends and relatives (mostly *dead*
friends and relatives): "Jean Alger's Dumplings," "Erma's Devil's Food
Cake," "Ethel Lata's Pineapple Upside Down Cake," "Leona Meredith's
Chicken in Pastry Squares,"Anis' Pork Chops and Potatoes," "Clara
Hinton's Beets," "Alma's Waffles."

So, the recipes that "didn't make the cut" from the "Kitchen
Scrapbook" and her box of 3 x 5" cards to my recipe software
languished in a cupboard along with their "owners" until I just dug
'em out about a half hour ago. If I ever get a chance to actually
retire (attempt #3 didn't work either - my boss just keeps sweetening
the deal), I am going to input every last one of those recipes into my
recipe software in a separate category, and "publish" a book for my
close kith and kin.

Most of the recipes in my recipe software database have contributors
such as "Bon Appetit," "Koko@rfc," "LA Times," etc. I still have a
number that note, "Grandmother Hopkins' Biscuit Recipe," "Great
Grandmother Marken's Nut Bread," "Auntie Ree's Meatloaf," etc., but it
doesn't have the same smile-value as seeing these recipes written in
my mother's handwriting.

And things were going well, nostalgically speaking, until one recipe
in the old "Kitchen Scrapbook" leaped out at me: the childhood
scarring, instantly gag reflexive, monster-in-the-culinary-closet of
my youth: "Aunt Nina's Green Tuna Casserole." *Now* I know exactly
which forebear created this abomination of my childhood and can
retroactively remove my grandmother's twin sister from my list of
fondly remembered relatives.

--

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"

-- W.C. Fields
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 22 May 2008 08:01:59p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

> Another thread had me digging out my late mother's handwritten
> recipes, which I hadn't looked at in *years* I had mostly (I thought)
> copied old family favorites into Mastercook software, later folded
> same into Now You're Cooking! The recipe software is great stuff, but
> looking through my mother's handwritten recipes was something akin to
> a roll call of my family's friends and relatives (mostly *dead*
> friends and relatives): "Jean Alger's Dumplings," "Erma's Devil's Food
> Cake," "Ethel Lata's Pineapple Upside Down Cake," "Leona Meredith's
> Chicken in Pastry Squares,"Anis' Pork Chops and Potatoes," "Clara
> Hinton's Beets," "Alma's Waffles."
>
> So, the recipes that "didn't make the cut" from the "Kitchen
> Scrapbook" and her box of 3 x 5" cards to my recipe software
> languished in a cupboard along with their "owners" until I just dug
> 'em out about a half hour ago. If I ever get a chance to actually
> retire (attempt #3 didn't work either - my boss just keeps sweetening
> the deal), I am going to input every last one of those recipes into my
> recipe software in a separate category, and "publish" a book for my
> close kith and kin.
>
> Most of the recipes in my recipe software database have contributors
> such as "Bon Appetit," "Koko@rfc," "LA Times," etc. I still have a
> number that note, "Grandmother Hopkins' Biscuit Recipe," "Great
> Grandmother Marken's Nut Bread," "Auntie Ree's Meatloaf," etc., but it
> doesn't have the same smile-value as seeing these recipes written in
> my mother's handwriting.
>
> And things were going well, nostalgically speaking, until one recipe
> in the old "Kitchen Scrapbook" leaped out at me: the childhood
> scarring, instantly gag reflexive, monster-in-the-culinary-closet of
> my youth: "Aunt Nina's Green Tuna Casserole." *Now* I know exactly
> which forebear created this abomination of my childhood and can
> retroactively remove my grandmother's twin sister from my list of
> fondly remembered relatives.
>
> --
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

I can certainly identify with the feeling. Years before there were PCs, I
photocopied all my mother's and relative's recipes and recipe cards and put
the pages in vinyl page protectors in 3-ring binders. Somehow I amassed 4
3-inch ring binders of these. Most have never made it to my PC, since it's
easy to browse through the binders.

When my mother passed away I inherited her cookbooks, recipe collection and
a lovely cedar card file box filled with the recipes on cards. I cherished
having these. Unfortunately, David accidentally threw out the box along
with what he thought was a box of rubbish. I still wish I had the cards
and the box for sentimental reasons, but at least I have a "real" image of
them.

One of these days I would like to enter them all into MasterCook, though,
just for ease of searching and use.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 05(V)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 20:01:59 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Another thread had me digging out my late mother's handwritten
>recipes, which I hadn't looked at in *years* I had mostly (I thought)
>copied old family favorites into Mastercook software, later folded
>same into Now You're Cooking! The recipe software is great stuff, but
>looking through my mother's handwritten recipes was something akin to
>a roll call of my family's friends and relatives (mostly *dead*
>friends and relatives): "Jean Alger's Dumplings," "Erma's Devil's Food
>Cake," "Ethel Lata's Pineapple Upside Down Cake," "Leona Meredith's
>Chicken in Pastry Squares,"Anis' Pork Chops and Potatoes," "Clara
>Hinton's Beets," "Alma's Waffles."

D has a notebook in the kitchen with a more modest collection of
family recipes. My favorite is the stained and faded recipe for
jailhouse chili, not to say that any of our forebears had the
opportunity to sample the original in situ.

>And things were going well, nostalgically speaking, until one recipe
>in the old "Kitchen Scrapbook" leaped out at me: the childhood
>scarring, instantly gag reflexive, monster-in-the-culinary-closet of
>my youth: "Aunt Nina's Green Tuna Casserole." *Now* I know exactly
>which forebear created this abomination of my childhood and can
>retroactively remove my grandmother's twin sister from my list of
>fondly remembered relatives.

It would be English pea salad around here.

Nice post, thanks.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 8:01*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> Another thread had me digging out my late mother's handwritten
> recipes, which I hadn't looked at in *years* *I had mostly (I thought)
> copied old family favorites into Mastercook software, later folded
> same into Now You're Cooking! The recipe software is great stuff, but
> looking through my mother's handwritten recipes was something akin to
> a roll call of my family's friends and relatives (mostly *dead*
> friends and relatives): "Jean Alger's Dumplings," "Erma's Devil's Food
> Cake," "Ethel Lata's Pineapple Upside Down Cake," "Leona Meredith's
> Chicken in Pastry Squares,"Anis' Pork Chops and Potatoes," "Clara
> Hinton's Beets," "Alma's Waffles."
>
> So, the recipes that "didn't make the cut" from the "Kitchen
> Scrapbook" and her box of 3 x 5" cards to my recipe software
> languished in a cupboard along with their "owners" until I just dug
> 'em out about a half hour ago. If I ever get a chance to actually
> retire (attempt #3 didn't work either - my boss just keeps sweetening
> the deal), I am going to input every last one of those recipes into my
> recipe software in a separate category, and "publish" a book for my
> close kith and kin.
>
> Most of the recipes in my recipe software database have contributors
> such as "Bon Appetit," "Koko@rfc," "LA Times," etc. I still have a
> number that note, "Grandmother Hopkins' Biscuit Recipe," "Great
> Grandmother Marken's Nut Bread," "Auntie Ree's Meatloaf," etc., but it
> doesn't have the same smile-value as seeing these recipes written in
> my mother's handwriting.
>
> And things were going well, nostalgically speaking, until one recipe
> in the old "Kitchen Scrapbook" leaped out at me: the childhood
> scarring, instantly gag reflexive, monster-in-the-culinary-closet of
> my youth: "Aunt Nina's Green Tuna Casserole." *Now* I know exactly
> which forebear created this abomination of my childhood and can
> retroactively remove my grandmother's twin sister from my list of
> fondly remembered relatives.
>
> --
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> "Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"
>
> * * * * -- W.C. Fields

I have a lot of my grandma's recipes- it's a little eerie looking at
the ones she hand wrote. Among my favorites is her ravioli filling
recipe. It's kinda comforing to look thru them, ya know??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> I can certainly identify with the feeling. Years before there were PCs, I
> photocopied all my mother's and relative's recipes and recipe cards and put
> the pages in vinyl page protectors in 3-ring binders. Somehow I amassed 4
> 3-inch ring binders of these. Most have never made it to my PC, since it's
> easy to browse through the binders.
>
> When my mother passed away I inherited her cookbooks, recipe collection and
> a lovely cedar card file box filled with the recipes on cards. I cherished
> having these. Unfortunately, David accidentally threw out the box along
> with what he thought was a box of rubbish. I still wish I had the cards
> and the box for sentimental reasons, but at least I have a "real" image of
> them.
>
> One of these days I would like to enter them all into MasterCook, though,

OMG! How painful that must have been--and still be. Yikes!!!!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 05:04:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> fired up random neurons and synapses
to opine:

>When my mother passed away I inherited her cookbooks, recipe collection and
>a lovely cedar card file box filled with the recipes on cards. I cherished
>having these. Unfortunately, David accidentally threw out the box along
>with what he thought was a box of rubbish. I still wish I had the cards
>and the box for sentimental reasons, but at least I have a "real" image of
>them.

Wayne, trust me when I tell you that the only thing you likely missed
was the smile her handwriting would have brought to your face, which
is not a small thing. I'm looking at my mother's recipe collections
(one in a notebook sort of thing and another in a 3 x 5" card index
box) and 90% of them are really, really bad recipes. These are recipes
from the 50s that mostly read like the recipes on the packaging of a
can or a box or a really bad women's magazine. OTOH, they're recipes
that my mother thought interesting enough to write down and that's
worth a bunch.
--

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"

-- W.C. Fields
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Wayne, trust me when I tell you that the only thing you likely missed
> was the smile her handwriting would have brought to your face, which
> is not a small thing. I'm looking at my mother's recipe collections
> (one in a notebook sort of thing and another in a 3 x 5" card index
> box) and 90% of them are really, really bad recipes. These are recipes
> from the 50s that mostly read like the recipes on the packaging of a
> can or a box or a really bad women's magazine. OTOH, they're recipes
> that my mother thought interesting enough to write down and that's
> worth a bunch.

But this is the food we ate as kids. And my only sibling
does not cook, so I deserve ownership of that folder.

Remind me to pick up mom's manila folder of recipes
before it's too late. It's a few inches thick of
recipes clipped out of magazines, beginning in 1948
when my parents were married.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> Wayne, trust me when I tell you that the only thing you likely missed
> was the smile her handwriting would have brought to your face, which
> is not a small thing. I'm looking at my mother's recipe collections
> (one in a notebook sort of thing and another in a 3 x 5" card index
> box) and 90% of them are really, really bad recipes. These are recipes
> from the 50s that mostly read like the recipes on the packaging of a
> can or a box or a really bad women's magazine. OTOH, they're recipes
> that my mother thought interesting enough to write down and that's
> worth a bunch.

I'll support that. All of the boxed and canned stuff doesn't taste the
same as it did anyway. But I loved it in the fifties.
Fresh vegetables started with 'boil for a couple of hours'. But my mom
made some really tasty meals. I've duplicated all of them that I cared
about except her beef soup. I make very good beef soup, but it's not
hers. I miss her and hers. I do add a dash of this and a handful of
that, so I'm learning.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> I have a lot of my grandma's recipes- it's a little eerie looking at
> the ones she hand wrote. Among my favorites is her ravioli filling
> recipe. It's kinda comforing to look thru them, ya know??

And so what are you going to do? Are you going
to leave behind any recipes?

I'm not aware of any good recipes that my mom
created. I've created a few good ones and
lots of bad ones. I'm not aware of any recipes
inherited from previous genrations from my mom,
though she did some experimental variations
of the recipes she followed which were
educational on how to do food. The most I
learned from my mom about cooking was technique,
not recipes nor the handling of raw food materials.

I've got a number of great recipes. I've never
had fried squid better than what I can make.
Appealing to a larger audience, I've never had
better quesadillas than what I can make.

I've considered the possibility of faking
a family heritage of great recipes. These
would be great recipes that I've created, so
I know they work. Or maybe I just tested
other recipes of various non-obvious origins,
all rolled together into a book. And maybe
a few of my mom's recipes which aren't too bad,
and slightly altered, if you don't mind
sliced hot dogs as the meat in a meat salad
or something like that. Okay, that could be
some premium meat like a genuine mortadella,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 23 May 2008 03:05:43p, Jean B. told us...

> [...]

>> PCs, I photocopied all my mother's and relative's recipes and recipe
>> cards and put the pages in vinyl page protectors in 3-ring binders.
>> Somehow I amassed 4 3-inch ring binders of these. Most have never made
>> it to my PC, since it's easy to browse through the binders.
>>
>> When my mother passed away I inherited her cookbooks, recipe collection
>> and a lovely cedar card file box filled with the recipes on cards. I
>> cherished having these. Unfortunately, David accidentally threw out
>> the box along with what he thought was a box of rubbish. I still wish
>> I had the cards and the box for sentimental reasons, but at least I
>> have a "real" image of them.
>>
>> One of these days I would like to enter them all into MasterCook,
>> though, just for ease of searching and use.
>>

> OMG! How painful that must have been--and still be. Yikes!!!!

Yes, it was, and I still think of it. But I couldn't be at all upset with
David, as it was totally an accident, and he was extremely fond of my
mother. I think he was almost as upset.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 23 May 2008 07:07:27p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

> On Fri, 23 May 2008 05:04:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > fired up random neurons and synapses
> to opine:
>
>>When my mother passed away I inherited her cookbooks, recipe collection
>>and a lovely cedar card file box filled with the recipes on cards. I
>>cherished having these. Unfortunately, David accidentally threw out the
>>box along with what he thought was a box of rubbish. I still wish I had
>>the cards and the box for sentimental reasons, but at least I have a
>>"real" image of them.
>>

> Wayne, trust me when I tell you that the only thing you likely missed
> was the smile her handwriting would have brought to your face, which
> is not a small thing. I'm looking at my mother's recipe collections
> (one in a notebook sort of thing and another in a 3 x 5" card index
> box) and 90% of them are really, really bad recipes. These are recipes
> from the 50s that mostly read like the recipes on the packaging of a
> can or a box or a really bad women's magazine. OTOH, they're recipes
> that my mother thought interesting enough to write down and that's
> worth a bunch.
> --
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Actually, Terry, my mother's (and her family's) recipe were really quite
good for the most part. They rare kept magazine snippets and the like. A
fair number of my grandmother's recipes won her blue ribbons at county and
state fairs.

I'm just very glad that years before this happened I had photocopied them.
Especially, too, because even though they're copies, I can still smile
nostalgically when I read them, the handwriting is still there.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
2dys 3hrs 30mins
I am, therefore I am (I don't draw
conclusions).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 23 May 2008 03:05:43p, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Thu 22 May 2008 08:01:59p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

>>> I can certainly identify with the feeling. Years before there were
>>> PCs, I photocopied all my mother's and relative's recipes and recipe
>>> cards and put the pages in vinyl page protectors in 3-ring binders.
>>> Somehow I amassed 4 3-inch ring binders of these. Most have never made
>>> it to my PC, since it's easy to browse through the binders.
>>>
>>> When my mother passed away I inherited her cookbooks, recipe collection
>>> and a lovely cedar card file box filled with the recipes on cards. I
>>> cherished having these. Unfortunately, David accidentally threw out
>>> the box along with what he thought was a box of rubbish. I still wish
>>> I had the cards and the box for sentimental reasons, but at least I
>>> have a "real" image of them.
>>>
>>> One of these days I would like to enter them all into MasterCook,
>>> though, just for ease of searching and use.
>>>

>> OMG! How painful that must have been--and still be. Yikes!!!!
>>

> Yes, it was, and I still think of it. But I couldn't be at all upset with
> David, as it was totally an accident, and he was extremely fond of my
> mother. I think he was almost as upset.

Horrible for both of you then. I have my mom's notebooks, loose
recipes, etc., some of her mom's, plus a notebook from my paternal
grandmother, who was reputed to be a pretty poor cook. Nonetheless,
they are my treasures.

I actually also collect old manuscript cookbooks along with cookbooks
and recipe booklets. In part, that is because someone CARED about these
things. They deserve to be rescued....

In fact, I should go out on a rescue mission soon....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 24 May 2008 05:45:29a, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> OMG! How painful that must have been--and still be. Yikes!!!!
>>>

>> Yes, it was, and I still think of it. But I couldn't be at all upset
>> with David, as it was totally an accident, and he was extremely fond of
>> my mother. I think he was almost as upset.
>>

> Horrible for both of you then. I have my mom's notebooks, loose
> recipes, etc., some of her mom's, plus a notebook from my paternal
> grandmother, who was reputed to be a pretty poor cook. Nonetheless,
> they are my treasures.
>
> I actually also collect old manuscript cookbooks along with cookbooks
> and recipe booklets. In part, that is because someone CARED about these
> things. They deserve to be rescued....
>
> In fact, I should go out on a rescue mission soon....
>
> --
> Jean B.

I've been collecting the same sort of things since I was in my early 20s,
and have quite a few old cookbooks and recipe booklets, as well as a lot of
old regional cookbooks from various places.

When my parents were married in 1937 in Yakima, WA, my mother couldn't boil
water. Her background was from a fairly well off southern family who
employed a cook and other domestics, and she had never learned nor was
encouraged to learn any homemaking skills, except in how to instruct others
to do it. :-) Anyway, botht the electric and gas companies in Yakima had
cooking schools and my dad encouraged her to go to both of them. Each of
them gave out smallish bound cookbooks of about 150 pages each. They're
quite interesting and actually have a few rather nice recipes in them. As
a result of her going there, it really peaked her interest and she became a
fabulous cook and baker. Ah, nostalia!

Except for one very old cookbook from the 1890s, my oldest ones date
beginning in the 1920s.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I've been collecting the same sort of things since I was in my early 20s,
> and have quite a few old cookbooks and recipe booklets, as well as a lot of
> old regional cookbooks from various places.
>
> When my parents were married in 1937 in Yakima, WA, my mother couldn't boil
> water. Her background was from a fairly well off southern family who
> employed a cook and other domestics, and she had never learned nor was
> encouraged to learn any homemaking skills, except in how to instruct others
> to do it. :-) Anyway, botht the electric and gas companies in Yakima had
> cooking schools and my dad encouraged her to go to both of them. Each of
> them gave out smallish bound cookbooks of about 150 pages each. They're
> quite interesting and actually have a few rather nice recipes in them. As
> a result of her going there, it really peaked her interest and she became a
> fabulous cook and baker. Ah, nostalia!
>
> Except for one very old cookbook from the 1890s, my oldest ones date
> beginning in the 1920s.

Oh cool! You started collecting the books way before I did. Well, I
have collected cookbooks and recipes for a LONG time (since my early
teens as far as recipes go, and my mid-teens as far as cookbooks go),
but I mainly concentrated on foreign cookery. Only within the last few
years have I started collecting American cookbooks, recipe booklets,
manuscripts, etc. I LOVE them!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 24 May 2008 06:37:07p, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I've been collecting the same sort of things since I was in my early
>> 20s, and have quite a few old cookbooks and recipe booklets, as well as
>> a lot of old regional cookbooks from various places.
>>
>> When my parents were married in 1937 in Yakima, WA, my mother couldn't
>> boil water. Her background was from a fairly well off southern family
>> who employed a cook and other domestics, and she had never learned nor
>> was encouraged to learn any homemaking skills, except in how to
>> instruct others to do it. :-) Anyway, botht the electric and gas
>> companies in Yakima had cooking schools and my dad encouraged her to go
>> to both of them. Each of them gave out smallish bound cookbooks of
>> about 150 pages each. They're quite interesting and actually have a
>> few rather nice recipes in them. As a result of her going there, it
>> really peaked her interest and she became a fabulous cook and baker.
>> Ah, nostalia!
>>
>> Except for one very old cookbook from the 1890s, my oldest ones date
>> beginning in the 1920s.
>>

> Oh cool! You started collecting the books way before I did. Well, I
> have collected cookbooks and recipes for a LONG time (since my early
> teens as far as recipes go, and my mid-teens as far as cookbooks go),
> but I mainly concentrated on foreign cookery. Only within the last few
> years have I started collecting American cookbooks, recipe booklets,
> manuscripts, etc. I LOVE them!

I probably have more American and English cookbooks than anything else, but
I do have some books from most major cultures. Few things relax me more
than sitting down with one of these and reading it almost like a novel. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1dys 5hrs 15mins
Garcon! Three glasses of water. Make
them doubles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> Another thread had me digging out my late mother's handwritten
> recipes, which I hadn't looked at in *years* I had mostly (I thought)
> copied old family favorites into Mastercook software, later folded
> same into Now You're Cooking! The recipe software is great stuff, but
> looking through my mother's handwritten recipes was something akin to
> a roll call of my family's friends and relatives (mostly *dead*
> friends and relatives): "Jean Alger's Dumplings," "Erma's Devil's Food
> Cake," "Ethel Lata's Pineapple Upside Down Cake," "Leona Meredith's
> Chicken in Pastry Squares,"Anis' Pork Chops and Potatoes," "Clara
> Hinton's Beets," "Alma's Waffles."
>
> So, the recipes that "didn't make the cut" from the "Kitchen
> Scrapbook" and her box of 3 x 5" cards to my recipe software
> languished in a cupboard along with their "owners" until I just dug
> 'em out about a half hour ago. If I ever get a chance to actually
> retire (attempt #3 didn't work either - my boss just keeps sweetening
> the deal), I am going to input every last one of those recipes into my
> recipe software in a separate category, and "publish" a book for my
> close kith and kin.
>
> Most of the recipes in my recipe software database have contributors
> such as "Bon Appetit," "Koko@rfc," "LA Times," etc. I still have a
> number that note, "Grandmother Hopkins' Biscuit Recipe," "Great
> Grandmother Marken's Nut Bread," "Auntie Ree's Meatloaf," etc., but it
> doesn't have the same smile-value as seeing these recipes written in
> my mother's handwriting.
>
> And things were going well, nostalgically speaking, until one recipe
> in the old "Kitchen Scrapbook" leaped out at me: the childhood
> scarring, instantly gag reflexive, monster-in-the-culinary-closet of
> my youth: "Aunt Nina's Green Tuna Casserole." *Now* I know exactly
> which forebear created this abomination of my childhood and can
> retroactively remove my grandmother's twin sister from my list of
> fondly remembered relatives.
>
> --
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> "Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"
>
> -- W.C. Fields

I understand your desire to "transcribe" the recipes for posterity, however
now having said that I think there is something sacrilegious about doing so.
Looking at the scrapbooks, clippings or the 3x5 cards is looking at a piece
of living history a piece of the person or people. I think when a recipe is
copied, transcribed, & printed it loses the humanity of the fingerprint of
butter or Crisco on the card, or the drop of gravy.

Some of my greatest treasures are used cookbooks with a message to the owner
from the gift giver with stained pages as well as notes in the margins or a
faded newspaper clipping. The "mess" makes them real.

Regards,

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> > Another thread had me digging out my late mother's handwritten
> > recipes, which I hadn't looked at in *years* I had mostly (I thought)
> > copied old family favorites into Mastercook software, later folded
> > same into Now You're Cooking! The recipe software is great stuff, but
> > looking through my mother's handwritten recipes was something akin to
> > a roll call of my family's friends and relatives (mostly *dead*
> > friends and relatives): "Jean Alger's Dumplings," "Erma's Devil's Food
> > Cake," "Ethel Lata's Pineapple Upside Down Cake," "Leona Meredith's
> > Chicken in Pastry Squares,"Anis' Pork Chops and Potatoes," "Clara
> > Hinton's Beets," "Alma's Waffles."
> >
> > So, the recipes that "didn't make the cut" from the "Kitchen
> > Scrapbook" and her box of 3 x 5" cards to my recipe software
> > languished in a cupboard along with their "owners" until I just dug
> > 'em out about a half hour ago. If I ever get a chance to actually
> > retire (attempt #3 didn't work either - my boss just keeps sweetening
> > the deal), I am going to input every last one of those recipes into my
> > recipe software in a separate category, and "publish" a book for my
> > close kith and kin.
> >
> > Most of the recipes in my recipe software database have contributors
> > such as "Bon Appetit," "Koko@rfc," "LA Times," etc. I still have a
> > number that note, "Grandmother Hopkins' Biscuit Recipe," "Great
> > Grandmother Marken's Nut Bread," "Auntie Ree's Meatloaf," etc., but it
> > doesn't have the same smile-value as seeing these recipes written in
> > my mother's handwriting.
> >
> > And things were going well, nostalgically speaking, until one recipe
> > in the old "Kitchen Scrapbook" leaped out at me: the childhood
> > scarring, instantly gag reflexive, monster-in-the-culinary-closet of
> > my youth: "Aunt Nina's Green Tuna Casserole." *Now* I know exactly
> > which forebear created this abomination of my childhood and can
> > retroactively remove my grandmother's twin sister from my list of
> > fondly remembered relatives.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> >
> > "Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"
> >
> > -- W.C. Fields

> I understand your desire to "transcribe" the recipes for posterity, however
> now having said that I think there is something sacrilegious about doing so.
> Looking at the scrapbooks, clippings or the 3x5 cards is looking at a piece
> of living history a piece of the person or people.

I've been saying that here for a long time, D. I have my mother's
tattered old Rumford cookbook * a basic book. It includes some
handwritten recipes. One is for Otmel Cukis. When she wrote, the
document began with a capital letter and it ended with a period. In
between, you were on your own to determine sentence endings and
beginnings.

I wouldn't trade that book for anything except having her back for a
while.

> I think when a recipe is copied, transcribed, & printed it loses the
> humanity of the fingerprint of butter or Crisco on the card, or the
> drop of gravy.

> Some of my greatest treasures are used cookbooks with a message to the owner
> from the gift giver with stained pages as well as notes in the margins or a
> faded newspaper clipping. The "mess" makes them real.

Yup.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> having these. Unfortunately, David accidentally threw out the box along
> with what he thought was a box of rubbish.

Y'know, based on other things you've said about him (finicky eating
habits) I'm kind of amazed he's still in your life, Wayne. <g>
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> Wayne, trust me when I tell you that the only thing you likely missed
> was the smile her handwriting would have brought to your face, which
> is not a small thing.

Right.

> I'm looking at my mother's recipe collections (one in a notebook sort
> of thing and another in a 3 x 5" card index box) and 90% of them are
> really, really bad recipes.

So f'ing what!? Do you have a collection of anything else written in
her hand? I should think that each 3x5" card conjures up a story that,
of itself, is and "ingredient" in the "recipe" that she was the product
of.

> These are recipes from the 50s that mostly read like the recipes on
> the packaging of a can or a box or a really bad women's magazine.
> OTOH, they're recipes that my mother thought interesting enough to
> write down and that's worth a bunch.

And they are representative of the time in which she lived. (Does she
have any notes on the recipe that indicate what about it attracted her?)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I probably have more American and English cookbooks than anything else, but
> I do have some books from most major cultures. Few things relax me more
> than sitting down with one of these and reading it almost like a novel. :-)

I don't see either of us ratcheting down our collecting. In fact, I may
spend some of my economic stimulus check (which arrived yesterday--have
you gotten your deposit yet?) on books!

BTW, I'm going to move in about a year. That also doesn't deter my book
collecting. I'm sure I will be questioning my sanity soon enough!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> I understand your desire to "transcribe" the recipes for posterity,
> however now having said that I think there is something sacrilegious
> about doing so. Looking at the scrapbooks, clippings or the 3x5 cards
> is looking at a piece of living history a piece of the person or people.
> I think when a recipe is copied, transcribed, & printed it loses the
> humanity of the fingerprint of butter or Crisco on the card, or the drop
> of gravy.
>
> Some of my greatest treasures are used cookbooks with a message to the
> owner from the gift giver with stained pages as well as notes in the
> margins or a faded newspaper clipping. The "mess" makes them real.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dimitri

There is one reason to transcribe--or photocopy in addition to keeping
the original. Some of the ink in my manuscripts is very faded....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 25 May 2008 05:26:18a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> having these. Unfortunately, David accidentally threw out the box along
>> with what he thought was a box of rubbish.

> Y'know, based on other things you've said about him (finicky eating
> habits) I'm kind of amazed he's still in your life, Wayne. <g>

Opposites attract?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sun 25 May 2008 05:26:18a, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>
> > In article 0>,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> having these. Unfortunately, David accidentally threw out the box along
> >> with what he thought was a box of rubbish.

> > Y'know, based on other things you've said about him (finicky eating
> > habits) I'm kind of amazed he's still in your life, Wayne. <g>

> Opposites attract?

<smacks forehead> I oughtta know that!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> My Mom left a 3x5 recipebox chuck full of untried matramony cake recipes,
> as she went looney near the end, sadly I lost all of her collected 'framily
> recipes'. Please be sure to get all the recipes from your parents before it
> is too late. Even the ones that were flops or that you detested are worth
> saving if only just for the memmories.

My mom and aunts, from whom I learned to cook, didn't write recipes down
or use cookbooks (with the exception of cake baking) When Mom passed
away, there wasn't a single cookbook in the house.

I have been diligent with keeping my own recipes and family recipes
(with measurements added)to my Master Cook cookbook. Unfortunately,
neither the daughters or the daughter-in-law care. All they know how to
make is a telephone call to the take out place.

Sigh,

Texas Janet

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in news:4839dc4e$0$12292
:

> I have been diligent with keeping my own recipes and family recipes
> (with measurements added)to my Master Cook cookbook. Unfortunately,
> neither the daughters or the daughter-in-law care. All they know how to
> make is a telephone call to the take out place.
>
> Sigh,
>
> Texas Janet

They will care later when it is too late...be sure to get a book made up
for your children of their favourites...they will get a craving when it
is too late for you to satisfy it. I still remember my mom's pineapple
cheese cake modified from good houskeeping and her spare ribs recipe with
regrets that I don't have the recipes. Plus her way with bread or her
soups...sigh...

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080525-0, 05/25/2008
Tested on: 5/25/2008 5:48:58 PM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I remember the trip to North Dakota to Mount Rushmore....The day was a
killer ....temps in the low hundreds and us in a tent. Boy it was hot, then
Dad showed up with a chilled water melon. Excepting there were no knives in
the camping gear other than table knives. In the same trip Mom decorated
several pine tree with spray whipped cream as the nozzle got stuck open and
it wouldn't stop spraying. During the evening we all gathered around the
camp fire and sang xmas carols. That was the trip that convinced them to
get a trailer. There are many food related memories that are both good and
bad. I wish I had mom's recipe for pine decorating with cream...sometimes
my adult kid's are too serious.

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080525-0, 05/25/2008
Tested on: 5/25/2008 5:58:28 PM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 25 May 2008 02:11:54p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sun 25 May 2008 05:26:18a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

>> > Y'know, based on other things you've said about him (finicky eating
>> > habits) I'm kind of amazed he's still in your life, Wayne. <g>

>> Opposites attract?

> <smacks forehead> I oughtta know that!

Yup, you oughtta know that! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> hahabogus wrote:
>
>> My Mom left a 3x5 recipebox chuck full of untried matramony cake recipes,
>> as she went looney near the end, sadly I lost all of her collected 'framily
>> recipes'. Please be sure to get all the recipes from your parents before it
>> is too late. Even the ones that were flops or that you detested are worth
>> saving if only just for the memmories.
>>

> My mom and aunts, from whom I learned to cook, didn't write recipes down
> or use cookbooks (with the exception of cake baking) When Mom passed
> away, there wasn't a single cookbook in the house.

My mom doesn't use cookbooks, either, and I have exactly one recipe
she wrote down -- her cheesecake.

Now, though, I've embarked on a project to get all her recipes down
on paper so that they won't die with her. It's very fun.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:29:13 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>I'll support that. All of the boxed and canned stuff doesn't taste the
>same as it did anyway. But I loved it in the fifties.
>Fresh vegetables started with 'boil for a couple of hours'. But my mom
>made some really tasty meals. I've duplicated all of them that I cared
>about except her beef soup. I make very good beef soup, but it's not
>hers. I miss her and hers. I do add a dash of this and a handful of
>that, so I'm learning.

This may not be your mother's beef soup, it's my mother's - same era,
however, so it might be close, although I have a couple of beef and
vegetable soup recipes that are a whole lot heartier - this is comfort
food (the parenthetical is mine):

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Vegetable And Beef Soup

soups and stews

good size soup bone
1 1/2 pounds stew meat
2 onions; chopped
3 potatoes; cut in 1/2" cubes
4 carrots; sliced
3 stalks celery; sliced
2 small cans tomato sauce
1 14 1/2 oz. tomatoes; peeled and chopped
1/2 cup barley

Boil soup bone and stew meat in 4 quarts water until cooked through,
about 1 hour. Remove soup bone. Add remaining ingredients and salt and
pepper to taste. Simmer another hour or until all vegetables are
tender.

(Do try to find pot barley, not pearled barley, as the latter turns to
mush in soups. A little "spice shelf shopping" doesn't go amiss,
either.)

Contributor: Ninelle Hopkins Pulliam

Yield: 12 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 May 2008 19:38:01 -0700, "Dimitri" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>I understand your desire to "transcribe" the recipes for posterity, however
>now having said that I think there is something sacrilegious about doing so.
>Looking at the scrapbooks, clippings or the 3x5 cards is looking at a piece
>of living history a piece of the person or people. I think when a recipe is
>copied, transcribed, & printed it loses the humanity of the fingerprint of
>butter or Crisco on the card, or the drop of gravy.
>
>Some of my greatest treasures are used cookbooks with a message to the owner
>from the gift giver with stained pages as well as notes in the margins or a
>faded newspaper clipping. The "mess" makes them real.

Dimitri, you old scoundrel, I didn't say I'd dumped the original
recipes (the "Kitchen Scrapbook" and 3 x 5" card boxes), just *also*
transcribed them. I spent about 4 years, +/-, transcsribing recipes
into my recipe software, not just the old family recipes and my own
recipes, but the ones I used when my kids were growing up, the
tried-and-true recipes everyone liked from various and assorted
cookbooks, then "published" a cookbook (think: Kinko's, which stock
ticked up a bit after that $$$ printing) to give the kids one
Christmas. Has the added benefit, as far as the kids are concerned,
that I have my own recipes at hand when I'm visiting :-)

Sooner or later, I'm going to scan as many of the relevant handwritten
recipes and "publish" another cookbook, with annotations as to the
various attributions, who they were and their relationship to my
mother/grandmother ("Mrs. Rice's Baked Ham" - Mrs. Rice was Hattie
Rice of the Double K Ranch, Rodeo NM, two ranches over from your
great-grandparent Hopkins' ranch, and a sister member to your great
grandmother in the rancher's wives association, "Cowbells"). It's
gonna have to be sooner than later, as some of the entries are from
people I don't recall and have to rely on an elderly aunt and uncle
for identification.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> This may not be your mother's beef soup, it's my mother's - same era,
> however, so it might be close, although I have a couple of beef and
> vegetable soup recipes that are a whole lot heartier - this is comfort
> food (the parenthetical is mine):

> Vegetable And Beef Soup
>
> soups and stews
>
> good size soup bone
> 1 1/2 pounds stew meat
> 2 onions; chopped
> 3 potatoes; cut in 1/2" cubes
> 4 carrots; sliced
> 3 stalks celery; sliced
> 2 small cans tomato sauce
> 1 14 1/2 oz. tomatoes; peeled and chopped
> 1/2 cup barley

> (Do try to find pot barley, not pearled barley, as the latter turns to
> mush in soups. A little "spice shelf shopping" doesn't go amiss,
> either.)

I've saved the recipe. Thanks! Currently, my beef soup uses all your
ingredients except onion and celery, but I do use pearl barley. I cook
the barley beforehand (boil for 45 minutes by itself) and add it at the
end. I also thoroughly brown stew/soup meat and am not adverse to canned
beef stock or bouillon cubes for more richness. Mom added chopped
cabbage near the end. I always seem to forget.
I've never tried the soup bone method, and soup bones cost real money
nowadays where I live if I can find them.
I wouldn't know where to start with spices that I think ought to go
along with it. It's a failure of imagination. But I really like my beef
soup. I liked mom's better.
Also, I'm not adverse to celery and onions. Those are the only
vegetables I use in *my* beef stroganoff.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 May 2008 07:31:37 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>In article >,
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

>> I'm looking at my mother's recipe collections (one in a notebook sort
>> of thing and another in a 3 x 5" card index box) and 90% of them are
>> really, really bad recipes.

>So f'ing what!? Do you have a collection of anything else written in
>her hand? I should think that each 3x5" card conjures up a story that,
>of itself, is and "ingredient" in the "recipe" that she was the product
>of.

Jeez, girl, get your knickers in a twist over something else, will ya?
And, no, each 3x5 card does not conjure up a story. I'd guess that the
overwhelming majority of the 3x5 cards and her "Kitchen Scrapbook"
either never got made, I do not recall or was never repeated (with the
glaring exception, of course, of that gawdawful Green Tuna Casserole).
What conjures something up is the names of the recipes, which
generally include the name of the contributor and are of people I
(sometimes vaguely) recall growing up.

>> These are recipes from the 50s that mostly read like the recipes on
>> the packaging of a can or a box or a really bad women's magazine.
>> OTOH, they're recipes that my mother thought interesting enough to
>> write down and that's worth a bunch.

>And they are representative of the time in which she lived. (Does she
>have any notes on the recipe that indicate what about it attracted her?)

Not criticizing the dear aulde mother. Likely making more of a
commentary on how technology has depersonalized so many things, this
being one of them. My kids have a printed version of all the recipes I
hold dear, and I have their grandmother's handwritten recipes. Next
step: scan their grandmother's handwritten recipes. Just as soon as I
get the time. Just as soon as I don't work overtime *and* bring stuff
home on a long weekend.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...3 trials in 2 months coming up

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 25 May 2008 08:41:54p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

> In article >,
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
>> This may not be your mother's beef soup, it's my mother's - same era,
>> however, so it might be close, although I have a couple of beef and
>> vegetable soup recipes that are a whole lot heartier - this is comfort
>> food (the parenthetical is mine):

>> Vegetable And Beef Soup
>>
>> soups and stews
>>
>> good size soup bone
>> 1 1/2 pounds stew meat
>> 2 onions; chopped
>> 3 potatoes; cut in 1/2" cubes
>> 4 carrots; sliced
>> 3 stalks celery; sliced
>> 2 small cans tomato sauce
>> 1 14 1/2 oz. tomatoes; peeled and chopped 1/2 cup barley

>> (Do try to find pot barley, not pearled barley, as the latter turns to
>> mush in soups. A little "spice shelf shopping" doesn't go amiss,
>> either.)

> I've saved the recipe. Thanks! Currently, my beef soup uses all your
> ingredients except onion and celery, but I do use pearl barley. I cook
> the barley beforehand (boil for 45 minutes by itself) and add it at the
> end. I also thoroughly brown stew/soup meat and am not adverse to canned
> beef stock or bouillon cubes for more richness. Mom added chopped
> cabbage near the end. I always seem to forget.
> I've never tried the soup bone method, and soup bones cost real money
> nowadays where I live if I can find them.
> I wouldn't know where to start with spices that I think ought to go
> along with it. It's a failure of imagination. But I really like my beef
> soup. I liked mom's better.
> Also, I'm not adverse to celery and onions. Those are the only
> vegetables I use in *my* beef stroganoff.
>
> leo

Never heard of celery in beef stroganoff.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 03:47:14 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Never heard of celery in beef stroganoff.

You have now..

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 25 May 2008 09:02:37p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Mon, 26 May 2008 03:47:14 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>Never heard of celery in beef stroganoff.

> You have now..
>
> Christine

Yes, but I wish I hadn't. Sounds sacriligious. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sun 25 May 2008 08:41:54p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...
>
> > Also, I'm not adverse to celery and onions. Those are the only
> > vegetables I use in *my* beef stroganoff.

> Never heard of celery in beef stroganoff.

I'm sure it's not in *real* beef stroganoff. It's in *my* beef
stroganoff. You wouldn't hate it.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 25 May 2008 09:41:03p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sun 25 May 2008 08:41:54p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...
>>
>> > Also, I'm not adverse to celery and onions. Those are the only
>> > vegetables I use in *my* beef stroganoff.

>> Never heard of celery in beef stroganoff.

> I'm sure it's not in *real* beef stroganoff. It's in *my* beef
> stroganoff. You wouldn't hate it.
>
> leo

No, Leo, I wouldn't hate it. I would just think it strange. :-) No
argument here.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 2008 07:31:37 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > fired up random neurons and synapses to
> opine:
>
> >In article >,
> > Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> >> I'm looking at my mother's recipe collections (one in a notebook sort
> >> of thing and another in a 3 x 5" card index box) and 90% of them are
> >> really, really bad recipes.

> >So f'ing what!? Do you have a collection of anything else written in
> >her hand? I should think that each 3x5" card conjures up a story that,
> >of itself, is and "ingredient" in the "recipe" that she was the product
> >of.

> Jeez, girl, get your knickers in a twist over something else, will ya?

Well, FINE, then! <g>

> And, no, each 3x5 card does not conjure up a story.

All righty, then.

> I'd guess that the
> overwhelming majority of the 3x5 cards and her "Kitchen Scrapbook"
> either never got made, I do not recall or was never repeated (with the
> glaring exception, of course, of that gawdawful Green Tuna Casserole).
> What conjures something up is the names of the recipes, which
> generally include the name of the contributor and are of people I
> (sometimes vaguely) recall growing up.

"I wonder whatever happened to. . . ."

> >And they are representative of the time in which she lived. (Does she
> >have any notes on the recipe that indicate what about it attracted her?)

> Not criticizing the dear aulde mother. Likely making more of a
> commentary on how technology has depersonalized so many things, this
> being one of them. My kids have a printed version of all the recipes I
> hold dear, and I have their grandmother's handwritten recipes. Next
> step: scan their grandmother's handwritten recipes. Just as soon as I
> get the time. Just as soon as I don't work overtime *and* bring stuff
> home on a long weekend.

Poor thang. (I know, I'm a snot. I keep telling people that.) <g>
I'm almost inspired to hand write some recipes for my kids or for the
Small Child just so they'll know I can actually write instead of just
type.

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...3 trials in 2 months coming up

You want cheese with that?