Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Family recipe website

All,

I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want
to put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would
appreciate any suggestions from those that have done this.

After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
* Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
* Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also don't
want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam the family
with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes, 8/24/14).
* Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would be nice, but
I'll settle for HTML files.
* Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.

I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?

Thanks,
Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
> All,
>
> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want to
> put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would appreciate
> any suggestions from those that have done this.
>
> After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
> * Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
> * Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also don't
> want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam the family
> with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes, 8/24/14).
> * Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would be nice, but
> I'll settle for HTML files.
> * Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.
>
> I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I will watch the feedback, but by "family" do you mean your "r.f.c family"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/25/2014 11:30 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want to
>> put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would appreciate
>> any suggestions from those that have done this.
>>
>> After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
>> * Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
>> * Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also don't
>> want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam the family
>> with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes, 8/24/14).
>> * Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would be nice, but
>> I'll settle for HTML files.
>> * Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.
>>
>> I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

> I will watch the feedback, but by "family" do you mean your "r.f.c family"?

I don't know what "r.f.c family" is. To be more clear, I mean brothers,
sisters, parents, cousins, etc. that are blood related.

Dave,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
> On 08/25/2014 11:30 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want
>>> put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would
>>> appreciate
>>> any suggestions from those that have done this.
>>>
>>> After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
>>> * Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
>>> * Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also don't
>>> want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam the family
>>> with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes, 8/24/14).
>>> * Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would be nice, but
>>> I'll settle for HTML files.
>>> * Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.
>>>
>>> I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave

>> I will watch the feedback, but by "family" do you mean your "r.f.c
>> family"?
>>

> I don't know what "r.f.c family" is. To be more clear, I mean brothers,
> sisters, parents, cousins, etc. that are blood related.
>
> Dave,

r.f.c = rec.food.cooking - you know: US!

just kidding, I know what you mean. Sounds like a good project.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just two comments.

In my opinion free is not worth the money you pay for
it. For about $80 per year I get my own domain, no
adverts, high speed, unlimited email accounts,
unbelievable support etc. If you want more
information I'll post details.

Although it takes some time to learn (maybe 4 weeks
intensive at a community college unless you can teach
yourself) I believe it's worth coding yourself and not
using any canned sites. This way you can keep it
simple and be able to make structure changes yourself.
(Do not use a canned program to create html code for
you.)

However, if you're not happy playing with computers
this advice is probably useless!

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:27:39 -0400, Dave > wrote:

> All,
>
> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want
> to put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would
> appreciate any suggestions from those that have done this.
>
> After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
> * Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
> * Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also don't
> want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam the family
> with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes, 8/24/14).
> * Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would be nice, but
> I'll settle for HTML files.
> * Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.
>
> I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Koko has been doing it for years and her website looks great. Maybe
she can give you some tips. I tried putting my recipes onto the
Google blog site, but lost interest quickly. I just looked and not
only is it completely different, I don't even see the few recipes I
put online.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:
> All,
>
> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want
> to put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would
> appreciate any suggestions from those that have done this.
>
> After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
> * Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
> * Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also
> don't want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam
> the family with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes,
> 8/24/14). * Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would
> be nice, but I'll settle for HTML files.
> * Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.
>
> I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

If you want to start sharing recipes, just make a folder in your Google
Docs, e.g., called Recipes, and share it with everyone in your family,
giving them view only rights so that you make any changes, and they can
email you recipes for you to post to keep control of the thing in a
single person's hands. You could create a heirarchy under Recipes to
keep different kinds of recipes separate or structure it any other way
you want. People can print right from there, it will work on multiple
platforms, and you can limit viewing to only those people you want.

The only downside I"m aware of is that users would need to have a Google
username and password.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" wrote:
>"Dave" wrote:
>>
>> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want to
>> put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would appreciate
>> any suggestions from those that have done this.
>>
>> After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
>> * Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
>> * Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also don't
>> want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam the family
>> with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes, 8/24/14).
>> * Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would be nice, but
>> I'll settle for HTML files.
>> * Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.
>>
>> I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?

>I will watch the feedback, but by "family" do you mean your "r.f.c family"?

The RFC family already has a cookbook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/25/14, 11:27 AM, Dave wrote:
> All,
>
> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want
> to put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would
> appreciate any suggestions from those that have done this.

Do you already own a domain or otherwise have a Web presence?

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/25/2014 05:14 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 8/25/14, 11:27 AM, Dave wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want
>> to put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would
>> appreciate any suggestions from those that have done this.

> Do you already own a domain or otherwise have a Web presence?
>
> -- Larry

Larry,

No, I don't. However, I'm considering doing so. Time is tight, so
ready-made is my preference as long as it meets our needs. I'm also
considering creating the web site from scratch, but again that is more
work and time.

Dave,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> Just two comments.
>
> In my opinion free is not worth the money you pay for
> it. For about $80 per year I get my own domain, no
> adverts, high speed, unlimited email accounts,
> unbelievable support etc. If you want more
> information I'll post details.
>
> Although it takes some time to learn (maybe 4 weeks
> intensive at a community college unless you can teach
> yourself) I believe it's worth coding yourself and not
> using any canned sites. This way you can keep it
> simple and be able to make structure changes yourself.
> (Do not use a canned program to create html code for
> you.)
>
> However, if you're not happy playing with computers
> this advice is probably useless!
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

I used to have a website that was free through Verizon (and other ISPs
prior). I let it go when they made the switch over to Frontier because I
really have no need for a website, seeing as how I have Facebook now. I did
not use any canned stuff. I bought a book on HTML and taught myself how to
do stuff. I do know that there are much easier ways now to make a website
than what I did. But I guess it gave me something to do. I did put recipes
on it as well as poems.

I am looking at my bro's website now as he does have some private pages. I
see that he does appear to have his own domain. For the private pages, all
you have to do is make the home page one that requires a password and then
give the appropriate people that password. Sure someone might somehow
stumble onto it via a search engine, but if they don't have the password,
they can't access the page.

I don't know what to tell you about how to make things easy to print as I
never bothered to try to do that. If I find a recipe on a website that
doesn't have easy printing capabilities, I just copy and paste it into an
email to myself and then print it from there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:58:51 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> Dave wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want
> > to put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would
> > appreciate any suggestions from those that have done this.
> >
> > After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
> > * Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
> > * Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also
> > don't want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam
> > the family with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes,
> > 8/24/14). * Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would
> > be nice, but I'll settle for HTML files.
> > * Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.
> >
> > I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave

> If you want to start sharing recipes, just make a folder in your Google
> Docs, e.g., called Recipes, and share it with everyone in your family,
> giving them view only rights so that you make any changes, and they can
> email you recipes for you to post to keep control of the thing in a
> single person's hands. You could create a heirarchy under Recipes to
> keep different kinds of recipes separate or structure it any other way
> you want. People can print right from there, it will work on multiple
> platforms, and you can limit viewing to only those people you want.
>
> The only downside I"m aware of is that users would need to have a Google
> username and password.

You made a valid point. My recipe folder is on Google Drive and I can
share one file or the entire folder with whoever I want. I create my
files in Word, save it to the recipe folder on my computer and it's
synced with Google Drive.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/25/2014 10:27 AM, Dave wrote:
> All,
>
> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want
> to put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would
> appreciate any suggestions from those that have done this.
>
> After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
> * Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
> * Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also don't
> want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam the family
> with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes, 8/24/14).
> * Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would be nice, but
> I'll settle for HTML files.
> * Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.
>
> I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Dave, I have a question, if everyone can see the recipes online and copy
them, what would be their motivation to purchase the cookbook. My
sister compiled a family recipe book last year, I wanted one for myself
and one for each of my children. I think it is a great idea.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/26/2014 01:17 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> On 8/25/2014 10:27 AM, Dave wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want
>> to put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would
>> appreciate any suggestions from those that have done this.
>>
>> After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
>> * Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
>> * Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also don't
>> want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam the family
>> with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes, 8/24/14).
>> * Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would be nice, but
>> I'll settle for HTML files.
>> * Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.
>>
>> I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

> Dave, I have a question, if everyone can see the recipes online and copy
> them, what would be their motivation to purchase the cookbook. My
> sister compiled a family recipe book last year, I wanted one for myself
> and one for each of my children. I think it is a great idea.
>
> Becca

Everyone seems to like the idea of a book for a number of reasons. Some
of the reasons a
* Books are handier in the kitchen than computers or smart devices - if
they have one (not all do).
* Books put everything on one page - no scrolling L/R, U/D.
* Comments can be added in the section for comments. When I do a
recipe, I allow space for user comments.

However, it will be a while before I get the book done. So as an
interim step, a web site would be good. They can print the recipe, take
it into the kitchen, and use it. Plus, this will give us time to get
pictures and debug the recipes.

Dave,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2014 1:00 PM, Dave wrote:
> On 08/26/2014 01:17 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
>> On 8/25/2014 10:27 AM, Dave wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want
>>> to put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would
>>> appreciate any suggestions from those that have done this.
>>>
>>> After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
>>> * Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
>>> * Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also don't
>>> want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam the family
>>> with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes, 8/24/14).
>>> * Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would be nice, but
>>> I'll settle for HTML files.
>>> * Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.
>>>
>>> I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave

>> Dave, I have a question, if everyone can see the recipes online and copy
>> them, what would be their motivation to purchase the cookbook. My
>> sister compiled a family recipe book last year, I wanted one for myself
>> and one for each of my children. I think it is a great idea.
>>
>> Becca

> Everyone seems to like the idea of a book for a number of reasons. Some
> of the reasons a
> * Books are handier in the kitchen than computers or smart devices - if
> they have one (not all do).
> * Books put everything on one page - no scrolling L/R, U/D.
> * Comments can be added in the section for comments. When I do a
> recipe, I allow space for user comments.
>
> However, it will be a while before I get the book done. So as an
> interim step, a web site would be good. They can print the recipe, take
> it into the kitchen, and use it. Plus, this will give us time to get
> pictures and debug the recipes.
>
> Dave,

My mother, grandmother and great-grandmother made a pear relish, which
was canned every 2-3 years, and my sister and I can not find their
recipe. It tastes like chow-chow. We worked on it a couple of weeks ago
and my sister thinks it is passable.

Everybody should share their family recipes so you never lose them. I
hope your family enjoys putting together your family cookbook.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
> On 08/26/2014 01:17 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
>> On 8/25/2014 10:27 AM, Dave wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I plan to do a family recipe cookbook, but as an interim step, we want
>>> to put the recipes on a web site so all can access them. I would
>>> appreciate any suggestions from those that have done this.
>>>
>>> After talking to (almost) everyone, we came up with some requirements
>>> * Can be accessed on the desktop, Android, or iPhone, and printed.
>>> * Private. This is for our family, not the whole world. We also don't
>>> want personal information tracked so some company(s) can spam the family
>>> with ads or build marketing information (See 60 Minutes, 8/24/14).
>>> * Easy (for me) to add recipes. Recipe entry forms would be nice, but
>>> I'll settle for HTML files.
>>> * Cost. Low cost is good, free is better.
>>>
>>> I could create a family recipe web site, but why re-invent the wheel?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave

>> Dave, I have a question, if everyone can see the recipes online and copy
>> them, what would be their motivation to purchase the cookbook. My
>> sister compiled a family recipe book last year, I wanted one for myself
>> and one for each of my children. I think it is a great idea.
>>
>> Becca

> Everyone seems to like the idea of a book for a number of reasons. Some
> of the reasons a
> * Books are handier in the kitchen than computers or smart devices - if
> they have one (not all do).
> * Books put everything on one page - no scrolling L/R, U/D.
> * Comments can be added in the section for comments. When I do a recipe,
> I allow space for user comments.
>
> However, it will be a while before I get the book done. So as an interim
> step, a web site would be good. They can print the recipe, take it into
> the kitchen, and use it. Plus, this will give us time to get pictures and
> debug the recipes.
>
> Dave,

Hmmm... We are discussing cookbooks on a forum that I frequent. One person
was asking about making them to raise money. All of the responses were that
none of us use cookbooks any more because it is just easier to get the
recipes from the computer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2014 3:28 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave" > wrote in message

>>> Dave, I have a question, if everyone can see the recipes online and copy
>>> them, what would be their motivation to purchase the cookbook. My
>>> sister compiled a family recipe book last year, I wanted one for myself
>>> and one for each of my children. I think it is a great idea.
>>>
>>> Becca

>> Everyone seems to like the idea of a book for a number of reasons.
>> Some of the reasons a
>> * Books are handier in the kitchen than computers or smart devices -
>> if they have one (not all do).
>> * Books put everything on one page - no scrolling L/R, U/D.
>> * Comments can be added in the section for comments. When I do a
>> recipe, I allow space for user comments.
>>
>> However, it will be a while before I get the book done. So as an
>> interim step, a web site would be good. They can print the recipe,
>> take it into the kitchen, and use it. Plus, this will give us time to
>> get pictures and debug the recipes.
>>
>> Dave,

> Hmmm... We are discussing cookbooks on a forum that I frequent. One
> person was asking about making them to raise money. All of the
> easier to get the recipes from the computer.

The same thing is happening to regular books and newspapers too.

Sad, all that kinesthetic value forgotten, in less than a generation too!