Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] is offline

Default Family Recipe Collections and Nostalgia

On Fri, 23 May 2008 05:04:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> fired up random neurons and synapses
to opine:

>When my mother passed away I inherited her cookbooks, recipe collection and
>a lovely cedar card file box filled with the recipes on cards. I cherished
>having these. Unfortunately, David accidentally threw out the box along
>with what he thought was a box of rubbish. I still wish I had the cards
>and the box for sentimental reasons, but at least I have a "real" image of
>them.

Wayne, trust me when I tell you that the only thing you likely missed
was the smile her handwriting would have brought to your face, which
is not a small thing. I'm looking at my mother's recipe collections
(one in a notebook sort of thing and another in a 3 x 5" card index
box) and 90% of them are really, really bad recipes. These are recipes
from the 50s that mostly read like the recipes on the packaging of a
can or a box or a really bad women's magazine. OTOH, they're recipes
that my mother thought interesting enough to write down and that's
worth a bunch.
--

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"

-- W.C. Fields