Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spin-off of Squeaks' Family Recipe Collections and Nostalgia

Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
you by, which would you include?

I'll go first.

A detailed recipe for making pirohy; a couple of fillings would be
included;

My bread and butter pickles with tips on how to efficiently wash them
and the correct thickness of the slice;

My cream cheese coffeecake with the notations about making six and
freezing them, and the story about one of its blue ribbons;

I suppose I'd have to include The Brownies;

Pot roast, including cut, prep, and what to do with the leftovers.

I think those are less a sign of the times than they are a sign of me.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?

The only thing I can think of that my kids love of mine that isn't a
recipe of my mom's is my orange chicken. The others would be my mom's:

Fried chicken (or, as my nephew calls it, "Nana's Famous Fried Chicken")

Lasagne

Pot roast

Cheesecake

> I'll go first.
>
> A detailed recipe for making pirohy; a couple of fillings would be
> included;

The latest thread on pirohy made me really really want to try them
for myself. When I get paid, I plan to give it a shot.

> My bread and butter pickles with tips on how to efficiently wash them
> and the correct thickness of the slice;

Washing machine, right? :-)

> My cream cheese coffeecake with the notations about making six and
> freezing them, and the story about one of its blue ribbons;

Nice!

> I suppose I'd have to include The Brownies;
>
> Pot roast, including cut, prep, and what to do with the leftovers.
>
> I think those are less a sign of the times than they are a sign of me.

It sounds wonderful. I hope you do it.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 25 May 2008 10:06:12p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?
>
> I'll go first.
>
> A detailed recipe for making pirohy; a couple of fillings would be
> included;
>
> My bread and butter pickles with tips on how to efficiently wash them
> and the correct thickness of the slice;
>
> My cream cheese coffeecake with the notations about making six and
> freezing them, and the story about one of its blue ribbons;
>
> I suppose I'd have to include The Brownies;
>
> Pot roast, including cut, prep, and what to do with the leftovers.
>
> I think those are less a sign of the times than they are a sign of me.

I'd have to say that the recipes I would write down would be recipes that
were my own mother's. I would also note any modifications I have made to
them. All would be written in great detail because that's why they turn
out the way they do.

Chicken Fried Steak
Southern Fried Chicken
Southern Pecan Pie
Home Canned Tomato Juice Cocktail
Pickled Beets (sorry Barb)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?

Pot roast.
Chicken wok chow - what it sounds like with soy-ginger marinated chicken.
Pork loin and Yorkshire pudding including gravy. Pork 'n York.
Not cooking. Knife skills.
Flipping an egg over easy. I've yet to master this.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 25 May 2008 11:41:00p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
>> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
>> you by, which would you include?

> Pot roast.
> Chicken wok chow - what it sounds like with soy-ginger marinated chicken.
> Pork loin and Yorkshire pudding including gravy. Pork 'n York.
> Not cooking. Knife skills.
> Flipping an egg over easy. I've yet to master this.
>
> leo

Flipping an egg over easy? Try using 2 spatulas, or a spatula and a fork
to grab one edge of the cooked white to gently turn it over, rather than
"flipping". Works a treat. When I "flip" them the yolk often breaks.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
15mins
I'm a Fun Guy from Yuggoth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?
>
> I'll go first.

OK, I'll play. (Limiting to 5 was tougher than I thought and this list would
likely change if I pondered a while longer)

1. BBQ - (Which is a noun here in Jawja meaning Smoked Pulled Pork.....not
the word blasphemously used for slapping (insert your meat of choice) on a
grill...that would be grilling :-) Although the instructions here would be
more about process than *recipe* I took liberty here because (a) this is on
my top 3 most requested specialties and (b) you opened the door with the
whole "efficient way to wash the cukes" comment <g>

2. Salsa - Including canning instructions of course

3. White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake with Macadamia Nut Crust

4. Brunswick Stew - Recipe handed down (and altered) through several
generations on my Mom's side of the family

5. Tossup between White Wings and Low-Country Boil

> I think those are less a sign of the times than they are a sign of me.

As it should be!

KW

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:06:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
>If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
>you by, which would you include?
>
>I'll go first.
>
>A detailed recipe for making pirohy; a couple of fillings would be
>included;
>
>My bread and butter pickles with tips on how to efficiently wash them
>and the correct thickness of the slice;
>
>My cream cheese coffeecake with the notations about making six and
>freezing them, and the story about one of its blue ribbons;
>
>I suppose I'd have to include The Brownies;
>
>Pot roast, including cut, prep, and what to do with the leftovers.
>
>I think those are less a sign of the times than they are a sign of me.

This is a toughie...

1 - Brisket

2 - Challah

3 - Potato latkes

4 - Sour cream coffee cake

5 - Turkey stuffing

These are family comfort foods.. I realize the first three are
variations on traditional Eastern European Jewish foods, but I don't
make them at all as my mother did.

boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 06:17:40a, Nina told us...

> On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:06:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
>>If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
>>you by, which would you include?

> I don't think that these are my *best* recipes, but they are the
> things that my son asks for again and again, and that's what family
> recipes are all about.
>
> Grilled chicken with my special marinade
>
> Salmon grilled with wasabi marinade and fresh avocado salsa
>
> Vegetables cooked properly (that is, not desperately overcooked as my
> mother always did). Especially zucchini and asparagus.
>
> Pan-fried crispy tilapia
>
> Lindy's style cheesecake (not exactly my invention)
>
> Nina
> <new here! hello>

Hello, Nina! And welcome to rfc!

BTW, not a foolish question, but do you pronounce your name N(eye)na or
N(ee)na? I ask because the name is the same as one of my co-workers and
she pronounces it N(ee)na. I have rarely heard it pronounced that way
before.

Oh, I couldn't agree more about vegetable cooking. Probably most here on
rfc would agree. Sometimes I think the overcooking was a "generational"
thing.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 06:36:58a, kilikini told us...

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
>> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
>> you by, which would you include?
>>

> This is an interesting question, Barb, I've enjoyed reading the
> She stayed at home and made us breakfast, packed our lunches, made
> dinner and dessert - every day. She usually "winged" her recipes and
> never wrote them down. Some I've tried to prepare on my own, but it's
> never the same, you know what I mean?
>
> The few she has written down that I'd pass along if I *had* anyone to
> pass them to a
>
> My grandmother's German potato salad
> My grandmother's German red cabbage
> My grandmother's chicken noel (chicken baked in mushroom soup with
> sherry) My grandmother's roast pork and sauerkraut
> My grandmother's German egg pancakes (like crepes)
>
> Okay, so they're all my grandmother's recipes. LOL. Funny thing is
> that I only met my grandmother, twice before she died, and I don't
> remember it because I was really little. :~)
>
> kili

Wow, Kili, I would love all of those recipes. I love German food!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nina > wrote:

> I don't think that these are my *best* recipes, but they are the
> things that my son asks for again and again, and that's what family
> recipes are all about.

Exactly.

> Nina
> <new here! hello>

Welcome, Nina. Hi back. Have you been lurking?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 07:25:34a, Nina told us...

> On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:20:14 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon 26 May 2008 06:17:40a, Nina told us...
>>
>>> On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:06:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

>>> I don't think that these are my *best* recipes, but they are the
>>> things that my son asks for again and again, and that's what family
>>> recipes are all about.
>>>
>>> Grilled chicken with my special marinade
>>>
>>> Salmon grilled with wasabi marinade and fresh avocado salsa
>>>
>>> Vegetables cooked properly (that is, not desperately overcooked as my
>>> mother always did). Especially zucchini and asparagus.
>>>
>>> Pan-fried crispy tilapia
>>>
>>> Lindy's style cheesecake (not exactly my invention)
>>>
>>> Nina
>>> <new here! hello>
>>>

>>Hello, Nina! And welcome to rfc!
>>
>>BTW, not a foolish question, but do you pronounce your name N(eye)na or
>>N(ee)na? I ask because the name is the same as one of my co-workers and
>>she pronounces it N(ee)na. I have rarely heard it pronounced that way
>>before.

> Second way, like your coworker, and not a silly question at all! The
> funny thing is that I've known loads of N(ee)na and no N(eye)nas at
> all, so maybe it's regional?

Perhaps that is the reason. Thank you.

>>Oh, I couldn't agree more about vegetable cooking. Probably most here on
>>rfc would agree. Sometimes I think the overcooking was a "generational"
>>thing.

> Absolutely. My mother cooked every vegetable to within an inch of its
> life, resulting in colors never seen in the normal spectrum! And used
> things like canned mushrooms, which happily I haven't touched in as
> long as I can remember (my sister, who's a chef now, loathed mushrooms
> as a kid, until she figured out that they didn't have to come in a
> can). And the irony of this is that my mother was really a good cook
> for her day, much better than most of the other moms I knew.

The only vegetable my mother ever overcooked was green beans. Her family
was from Mississippi, and in the "old south" green beans were cooked for
hours, usually with some form of bacon or fatback. I like the flavor of
bacon and onion with green beans, but not the long cooking. Ugh!

My mother generally didn't use mushrooms in her cooking unless she was
making chow mein or chop suey, then she always used those little canned
button mushrooms. I didn't find them too objectional, but fresh mushrooms
are remarkable by comparison.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Oh, I couldn't agree more about vegetable cooking. Probably most here on
> rfc would agree. Sometimes I think the overcooking was a "generational"
> thing.

My own hypothesis is that it might perhaps have been more a convenience
issue? Hard farm workers (which the majority of the south was long ago)
often put things on to cook while working and they let them simmer long
and slow and they got so over cooked. Yet that was "home cooking" so it
became much loved and passed down as the desired outcome? Or because
they had been first dried and required re-hydrating, or canned which
makes them softer..... ?
I just think cooking so long takes so much of the flavor away that the
addition of pork helped season and flavor it up again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 07:55:29a, kilikini told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 26 May 2008 06:36:58a, kilikini told us...
>>>
>>> The few she has written down that I'd pass along if I *had* anyone to
>>> pass them to a
>>>
>>> My grandmother's German potato salad
>>> My grandmother's German red cabbage
>>> My grandmother's chicken noel (chicken baked in mushroom soup with
>>> sherry) My grandmother's roast pork and sauerkraut
>>> My grandmother's German egg pancakes (like crepes)
>>>
>>> Okay, so they're all my grandmother's recipes. LOL. Funny thing is
>>> that I only met my grandmother, twice before she died, and I don't
>>> remember it because I was really little. :~)
>>>
>>> kili
>>>

>> Wow, Kili, I would love all of those recipes. I love German food!

> The only recipe I don't have is the Egg Pancake one; I'm going to have
> to call my mom for it. They're not as sweet as crepes, but you prepare
> them the same way; thin batter in a hot skillet. They're made with lots
> of eggs & milk with flour and a tinge of salt - and I think that's it.
> I like them because I can use them in place of pasta or I can stuff them
> with jam for a breakfast.
>
> I'll either give my mom a call tonight or drop her an e-mail. I'd like
> to have the recipe back, too. :~)
>
> kili

They sound delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 09:17:40 -0400, Nina >
wrote:

>On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:06:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
>>Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
>>If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
>>you by, which would you include?

>I don't think that these are my *best* recipes, but they are the
>things that my son asks for again and again, and that's what family
>recipes are all about.
>
>Grilled chicken with my special marinade
>
>Salmon grilled with wasabi marinade and fresh avocado salsa
>
>Vegetables cooked properly (that is, not desperately overcooked as my
>mother always did). Especially zucchini and asparagus.
>
>Pan-fried crispy tilapia
>
>Lindy's style cheesecake (not exactly my invention)
>
>Nina
><new here! hello>

yoo-hoo, nina! you're not a proffesional chef by any chance, are you?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 26 May 2008 06:36:58a, kilikini told us...
>>>
>>> The few she has written down that I'd pass along if I *had* anyone to
>>> pass them to a
>>>
>>> My grandmother's German potato salad
>>> My grandmother's German red cabbage
>>> My grandmother's chicken noel (chicken baked in mushroom soup with
>>> sherry) My grandmother's roast pork and sauerkraut
>>> My grandmother's German egg pancakes (like crepes)
>>>
>>> Okay, so they're all my grandmother's recipes. LOL. Funny thing is
>>> that I only met my grandmother, twice before she died, and I don't
>>> remember it because I was really little. :~)
>>>
>>> kili
>>>

>> Wow, Kili, I would love all of those recipes. I love German food!

> The only recipe I don't have is the Egg Pancake one; I'm going to have to call
> my mom for it. They're not as sweet as crepes, but you prepare them the same
> way; thin batter in a hot skillet. They're made with lots of eggs & milk with
> flour and a tinge of salt - and I think that's it. I like them because I can
> use them in place of pasta or I can stuff them with jam for a breakfast.
>
> I'll either give my mom a call tonight or drop her an e-mail. I'd like to
> have the recipe back, too. :~)

Ah, you mean Palatschinken.

200 grams flour
2 eggs
3/8 litres milk
1 egg yolk
salt
(serves 4)

Mix ingredients together. Cover and let the mass rest for 1/2 an hour.

Now bake them in a hot skillet in butter. Flip once.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 26 May 2008 06:36:58a, kilikini told us...
>>>
>>> The few she has written down that I'd pass along if I *had* anyone to
>>> pass them to a
>>>
>>> My grandmother's German potato salad
>>> My grandmother's German red cabbage
>>> My grandmother's chicken noel (chicken baked in mushroom soup with
>>> sherry) My grandmother's roast pork and sauerkraut
>>> My grandmother's German egg pancakes (like crepes)
>>>
>>> Okay, so they're all my grandmother's recipes. LOL. Funny thing is
>>> that I only met my grandmother, twice before she died, and I don't
>>> remember it because I was really little. :~)
>>>
>>> kili
>>>

>> Wow, Kili, I would love all of those recipes. I love German food!

> The only recipe I don't have is the Egg Pancake one; I'm going to have to call
> my mom for it. They're not as sweet as crepes, but you prepare them the same
> way; thin batter in a hot skillet. They're made with lots of eggs & milk with
> flour and a tinge of salt - and I think that's it. I like them because I can
> use them in place of pasta or I can stuff them with jam for a breakfast.
>
> I'll either give my mom a call tonight or drop her an e-mail. I'd like to
> have the recipe back, too. :~)

Ah, you mean Palatschinken.

200 grams flour
2 eggs
3/8 litres milk
1 egg yolk
salt
(serves 4)

Mix ingredients together. Cover and let the mass rest for 1/2 an hour.

Now bake them in a hot skillet in butter. Flip once.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?
>
> I'll go first.
>
> A detailed recipe for making pirohy; a couple of fillings would be
> included;
>
> My bread and butter pickles with tips on how to efficiently wash them
> and the correct thickness of the slice;
>
> My cream cheese coffeecake with the notations about making six and
> freezing them, and the story about one of its blue ribbons;
>
> I suppose I'd have to include The Brownies;
>
> Pot roast, including cut, prep, and what to do with the leftovers.
>
> I think those are less a sign of the times than they are a sign of me.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Interesting question that is impossible for me to answer since I have
already given such and more to the girls. :-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 08:37:32a, Michael Kuettner told us...

> "kilikini" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 26 May 2008 06:36:58a, kilikini told us...

>>> Wow, Kili, I would love all of those recipes. I love German food!

>> The only recipe I don't have is the Egg Pancake one; I'm going to have
>> to call my mom for it. They're not as sweet as crepes, but you prepare
>> them the same way; thin batter in a hot skillet. They're made with
>> lots of eggs & milk with flour and a tinge of salt - and I think that's
>> it. I like them because I can use them in place of pasta or I can
>> stuff them with jam for a breakfast.
>>
>> I'll either give my mom a call tonight or drop her an e-mail. I'd like
>> to have the recipe back, too. :~)
>>

> Ah, you mean Palatschinken.
>
> 200 grams flour
> 2 eggs
> 3/8 litres milk
> 1 egg yolk
> salt
> (serves 4)
>
> Mix ingredients together. Cover and let the mass rest for 1/2 an hour.
>
> Now bake them in a hot skillet in butter. Flip once.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

Ah, that's the one I remember. My favorite German restaurant in Cleveland
always served these rolled with jam.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 26, 1:16*am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> * * * * Home Canned Tomato Juice Cocktail
> * * * * Pickled Beets (sorry Barb)

Oh lord! The stuff of nightmares.

The chicken sounds good

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
> On Mon 26 May 2008 08:37:32a, Michael Kuettner told us...

<snip>
>> Ah, you mean Palatschinken.
>>
>> 200 grams flour
>> 2 eggs
>> 3/8 litres milk
>> 1 egg yolk
>> salt
>> (serves 4)
>>
>> Mix ingredients together. Cover and let the mass rest for 1/2 an hour.
>>
>> Now bake them in a hot skillet in butter. Flip once.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Michael Kuettner

> Ah, that's the one I remember. My favorite German restaurant in Cleveland
> always served these rolled with jam.

And with powdered sugar on top, I hope.

There's another use for Palatschinken : Cut in stripes, they're good in
bouillon.
The stripes are called "Frittaten".

Another filling for Palatschinken :

150 g dark chocolate, grated
50 grams raisins
40 grams powdered sugar
50 grams walnuts, grated
dark rum
1/16 litre cream

Whip the cream.
Mix the rest of the ingredients. Add the whipped cream.
Spread on the Palatschinken, roll them.
Heat them shortly in the oven.
Serve.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?
>
> I'll go first.

(recipe list snipped)

> I think those are less a sign of the times than they are a sign of me.

I know what you mean by that,b ut it's hard to limit to five.

My dad's Portuguese bread (folare) with ham and sausage,
and his codfish cakes.

My mom's Portuguese sweet bread

Zucchini bread, James Beard's, modified by moi. His banana bread, too.

Dh'S Grandma Sommerman's rhubarb pie and her crust recipe, and crisbrot
(a buttery bread containing citron or candied orange peel and toasted
almonds. Don't ask--it's what they called it.)

My family's chicken/rice stew

Beef stew/pot roast

Cooking Light's grilled whole beef tenderloin

I can think of a few more recipes, some of which the kids have already
received as they ask for them. Both of my kids are good cooks and can
duplicate most of my meals r better.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 09:36:52a, Michael Kuettner told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
>> On Mon 26 May 2008 08:37:32a, Michael Kuettner told us...

> <snip>
>>> Ah, you mean Palatschinken.
>>>
>>> 200 grams flour
>>> 2 eggs
>>> 3/8 litres milk
>>> 1 egg yolk
>>> salt
>>> (serves 4)
>>>
>>> Mix ingredients together. Cover and let the mass rest for 1/2 an hour.
>>>
>>> Now bake them in a hot skillet in butter. Flip once.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Michael Kuettner

>> Ah, that's the one I remember. My favorite German restaurant in

Cleveland
>> always served these rolled with jam.
>>

> And with powdered sugar on top, I hope.

Definitely. They were delicious.

> There's another use for Palatschinken : Cut in stripes, they're good in
> bouillon.
> The stripes are called "Frittaten".

I believe I was served that once in a brothy chicken soup.

> Another filling for Palatschinken :
>
> 150 g dark chocolate, grated
> 50 grams raisins
> 40 grams powdered sugar
> 50 grams walnuts, grated
> dark rum
> 1/16 litre cream
>
> Whip the cream.
> Mix the rest of the ingredients. Add the whipped cream.
> Spread on the Palatschinken, roll them.
> Heat them shortly in the oven.
> Serve.

That sounds delicious, and a little decadent!

> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

Thanks, Michael.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?

1. My noodle kugel recipe.

2. My son's favorite macaroni salad which is really my mom's recipe.

3. My late daughter's favorite bean and cheese burrito recipe.

4. My brisket recipe.

5. My grilled shrimp recipe.

Texas Janet

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 10:12:25a, Janet Wilder told us...

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
>> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
>> you by, which would you include?

> 1. My noodle kugel recipe.

Ooh, ooh... Recipe please!

> 2. My son's favorite macaroni salad which is really my mom's recipe.
>
> 3. My late daughter's favorite bean and cheese burrito recipe.
>
> 4. My brisket recipe.

And this one too, please!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
> On Mon 26 May 2008 09:36:52a, Michael Kuettner told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
>>> On Mon 26 May 2008 08:37:32a, Michael Kuettner told us...

<snip>
>>> Ah, that's the one I remember. My favorite German restaurant in

> Cleveland
>>> always served these rolled with jam.
>>>

>> And with powdered sugar on top, I hope.

> Definitely. They were delicious.

They are indeed. And easy to prepare.

>> There's another use for Palatschinken : Cut in stripes, they're good in
>> bouillon.
>> The stripes are called "Frittaten".

> I believe I was served that once in a brothy chicken soup.

For chicken soup, we use very thin noodles and slices of the
chicken.

>> Another filling for Palatschinken :

<snip>
> That sounds delicious, and a little decadent!

Well, after more than thousand years, we're entitled to a little decadence ;-)
Wait 'till I bring the real decadent recipes ...

> Thanks, Michael.

You're welcome.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?
>
> I'll go first.

Dad's navy bean soup

Grandma McQuown's potato soup with rivlets

Spaghetti (red) sauce/gravy (okay, so Betty Crocker taught Mom and then me,
so what?!)

Thai crab/shrimp/pork steamed dumplings (it's on the RFC website)

How to grill properly

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 26 May 2008 10:12:25a, Janet Wilder told us...
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
>>> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
>>> you by, which would you include?

>> 1. My noodle kugel recipe.

> Ooh, ooh... Recipe please!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Noodle Kugel

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Side Dishes

1 lb egg noodles-- broad
1 cup raisins
1/2 stick sweet butter -- melted
3 eggs
1 can crushed pineapple in juice -- drained
(tuna-sized can)
2/3 cup sugar
1/8 Teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg -- freshly ground
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
cooking spray

Cook noodles according to package directions, minus 2 minutes. While
noodles cook, soak raisins in melted butter. Drain noodles and set aside

In a large bowl, combine eggs, raisins and butter, pineapple,
applesauce, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Add well-drained
noodles and mix until well blended.

Spray a baking pan with cooking spray. Pour mixture into pan and bake
at 350 until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center
comes out dry, about 1 hour.

Note: I use a Pyrex pan.

>> 4. My brisket recipe.

> And this one too, please!

Send me a valid email address and I'll send you the brisket recipe. I
don't want to post it.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:41:00 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>Flipping an egg over easy. I've yet to master this.

Practice, son, practice.... that and a perfect temperature.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 10:34:14a, Janet Wilder told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> Ooh, ooh... Recipe please!

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Noodle Kugel
>
> Recipe By :Janet Wilder
> Categories : Side Dishes

> 1 lb egg noodles-- broad
> 1 cup raisins
> 1/2 stick sweet butter -- melted
> 3 eggs
> 1 can crushed pineapple in juice -- drained
> (tuna-sized can)
> 2/3 cup sugar
> 1/8 Teaspoon vanilla
> 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg -- freshly ground
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 tsp cinnamon
> 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
> cooking spray
>
> Cook noodles according to package directions, minus 2 minutes. While
> noodles cook, soak raisins in melted butter. Drain noodles and set aside
>
> In a large bowl, combine eggs, raisins and butter, pineapple,
> applesauce, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Add well-drained
> noodles and mix until well blended.
>
> Spray a baking pan with cooking spray. Pour mixture into pan and bake
> at 350 until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center
> comes out dry, about 1 hour.
>
> Note: I use a Pyrex pan.

Thank you so much, Janet. I will be making this very soon. Probably this
next weekend. I think even David (the picky one) will enjoy this!

>>> 4. My brisket recipe.

>> And this one too, please!

> Send me a valid email address and I'll send you the brisket recipe. I
> don't want to post it.

I will do that, and appreciate your sharing it with me.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 06:48:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Flipping an egg over easy? Try using 2 spatulas, or a spatula and a fork
>to grab one edge of the cooked white to gently turn it over, rather than
>"flipping". Works a treat. When I "flip" them the yolk often breaks.

Wayne, hint: turn it over gently just after the white solidifies,
don't toss it in the air like a pancake. Two spatulas are not
required.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 10:39:53a, sf told us...

> On Mon, 26 May 2008 06:48:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Flipping an egg over easy? Try using 2 spatulas, or a spatula and a fork
>>to grab one edge of the cooked white to gently turn it over, rather than
>>"flipping". Works a treat. When I "flip" them the yolk often breaks.

> Wayne, hint: turn it over gently just after the white solidifies,
> don't toss it in the air like a pancake. Two spatulas are not
> required.

Oh, I don't "flip" them anymore. I do turn them gently, and I usually use
just one spatula and a fork to just grasp the edge against the spatula.
Works great for me. Perfect everytime.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:12:25 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>3. My late daughter's favorite bean and cheese burrito recipe.

Without knowing details, I'm sorry Janet. My heart breaks for you.
No parent should outlive a child.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On May 25, 10:06*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?
>
> I'll go first. [snip]

What if they already know how to make their favorites? When they come
home they ask for the things they know but are too lazy (or have too
little time) to make themselves. <g>
So they "remember" me as the one who'll indulge them, as with:

arroz con pollo with andouille sausage
osso buco
homemade egg noodles with coq au vin or beef stew
spicy eggplant

Then we grill steaks or go out for good Chinese. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:20:14 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>BTW, not a foolish question, but do you pronounce your name N(eye)na or
>N(ee)na? I ask because the name is the same as one of my co-workers and
>she pronounces it N(ee)na. I have rarely heard it pronounced that way
>before.

No kidding? Out here N(eye)na is considered unusual.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?
>
> I'll go first.
>
> A detailed recipe for making pirohy; a couple of fillings would be
> included;
>
> My bread and butter pickles with tips on how to efficiently wash them
> and the correct thickness of the slice;
>
> My cream cheese coffeecake with the notations about making six and
> freezing them, and the story about one of its blue ribbons;
>
> I suppose I'd have to include The Brownies;
>
> Pot roast, including cut, prep, and what to do with the leftovers.
>
> I think those are less a sign of the times than they are a sign of me.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Great question, Barb!
Ok, just off the top of my head, I'd have to include:

Ribs, Chicken & Dressing...along with how to pick out the best ribs and cut the
chicken

Standing Rib & Pot roasts...and, maybe more importantly, The Gravy.

Doughnuts....the recipe isn't mine, exactly, it was the same one my grandma used, but
it's a family tradition!

My Green Beans- a slightly different method, steamed, then sautéed

And Pie...including crusts, fillings, toppings. I don't know if I could chose just
one, so I'd have to include the blackberry-apple streusel, chocolate cream, and
black-bottom coconut cream pies

I am sure five minutes after I click send, I'll have thought of something else or
something better ;-)

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?
>
> I'll go first.
> <snip>

Ok, remember how I said I would probably think of something right after hitting
send?? hehe

Pulled Pork! I don't know why it slipped my mind. Everyone loves it, and they always
clamor for more when I make it (since I don't do it that often). Yes, from rub to
grub, I'd just have to include pulled pork.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?
>
> A detailed recipe for making pirohy

Is this going to be the detailed, illustrated recipe I sent you, from
<http://www.heartofeurope.co.uk/features_recipe_specials2.htm>?

> My bread and butter pickles
>
> My cream cheese coffeecake
>
> The Brownies
>
> Pot roast

Yet again, there is a very conspicuous omission. I think you are being
very unkind - hostile, actually - to your kids and to Sam.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:12:25 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> 3. My late daughter's favorite bean and cheese burrito recipe.

> Without knowing details, I'm sorry Janet. My heart breaks for you.
> No parent should outlive a child.

Thanks. You are so right. She was killed in a car accident in 1996 when
she was 21. She was between her junior and senior years of college. I
remember thinking at the grave site that there must be something wrong
in the universe.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 05:46:25p, Janet Wilder told us...

> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:12:25 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> 3. My late daughter's favorite bean and cheese burrito recipe.

>> Without knowing details, I'm sorry Janet. My heart breaks for you.
>> No parent should outlive a child.
>>

> Thanks. You are so right. She was killed in a car accident in 1996 when
> she was 21. She was between her junior and senior years of college. I
> remember thinking at the grave site that there must be something wrong
> in the universe.

Good Lord, how awful for you, Janet. I can't even begin to imagine how
much sorrow this brought to your family. I'm so sorry.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 10:25:34 -0400, Nina >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Second way, like your coworker, and not a silly question at all! The
>funny thing is that I've known loads of N(ee)na and no N(eye)nas at
>all, so maybe it's regional?

Or generational? My great-aunt (born in 1892) was a Nina, pronounced
with a long "i." Born in Iowa, moved to AZ when AZ was still a
territory, so I doubt it's regional. <shrug>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"