Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Strawberry Shortcake

The strawberries are available once again. They are a family
favorite. I don't know how many flats we've consumed since Easter -
but likely close to 4.

I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get used up.
Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc., what other dishes or
recipes can you use an over abundance of strawberries in?

I also use them in smoothies, and fresh fruit salads. But we need
something different!

Myrl Jeffcoat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
> The strawberries are available once again. They are a family
> favorite. I don't know how many flats we've consumed since Easter -
> but likely close to 4.
>
> I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get used up.
> Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc., what other dishes or
> recipes can you use an over abundance of strawberries in?
>
> I also use them in smoothies, and fresh fruit salads. But we need
> something different!

Trifle!
Layer:
Sliced pound cake
A few tablespoons of brandy
Apricot jam
Strawberries
Custard
Whipped cream.

Let it all sit for a few hours before serving.
Heavenly.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:47:28 -0700 (PDT), Myrl Jeffcoat
> wrote:

>The strawberries are available once again. They are a family
>favorite. I don't know how many flats we've consumed since Easter -
>but likely close to 4.
>
>I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get used up.
>Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc., what other dishes or
>recipes can you use an over abundance of strawberries in?
>
>I also use them in smoothies, and fresh fruit salads. But we need
>something different!
>
>Myrl Jeffcoat

Ours are just starting to bloom. Can't wait.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Strawberry Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Each Pie Crust (9 Inch) -- baked
1 1/2 Cups Water
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
4 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1 Box Strawberry Gelatin Powder -- Small
1 Quart Strawberries, Sliced

Bring water, sugar and cornstarch to a boil. Cook until mixture turns
clear. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin. Let cool.

Stir strawberries into cooled gelatin mixture. Pour mixture into pie
shell. Cover the top with whipped cream or whipped topping.

Keep refrigerated.

Source:
"Toddle House Restaurant"
Yield:
"8 "
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 326 Calories; 6g Fat (17.2%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 67g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 176mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Fruit;
1 Fat; 3 Other Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Strawberry Salad

Recipe By :King Arthur Flour Company
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups lettuce
1 cup strawberries, halved
1/4 cup pecan
2 tablespoons red onion
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 343 Calories; 27g Fat (65.0%
calories from fat); 9g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber;
8mg Cholesterol; 199mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 4 1/2 Fat.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Strawberry Sorbet

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 pints strawberries -- *see Note
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sugar

Yield:
"4 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 90 Calories; trace Fat (1.8%
calories from fat); trace Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Should be 2 1/2 cups washed, hulled and pureed.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Strawberry Whip

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

1 cup strawberries
1 egg white -- unbeaten
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream -- whipped

Put strawberries, egg white and sugar in bowl and whip for about 10
minutes or until thick.

Fold in whipped cream. Chill

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 156 Calories; 6g Fat (31.2%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
20mg Cholesterol; 13mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Serve in sherbet glasses

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Myrl Jeffcoat" > wrote in message
> The strawberries are available once again. They are a family
> favorite. I don't know how many flats we've consumed since Easter -
> but likely close to 4.
>
> I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get used up.
> Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc., what other dishes or
> recipes can you use an over abundance of strawberries in?
>
> I also use them in smoothies, and fresh fruit salads. But we need
> something different!
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

Fresh pear, strawberry and spinach salad
Strawberry Rhubarb pie
Fresh strawberry cake with cream cheese frosting
Strawberry swirl cheesecake
Strawberry (or mixed berry with blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries)
cobbler
Pancakes with fresh strawberry syrup
Chilled strawberry soup (I haven't made it but by sister does a good job
with it)

We got 1/2 a flat on Sunday and they are almost gone already. We did berry
shortcake last night because I wanted raspberries and blackberries too. Very
nice.

Enjoy them whatever you do with them.

Cindi

I also clean and rinse then dry well about half a flat of strawberries. I
freeze them and use them as ice cubes in sprite or 7up or gingerale for the
kidlets and they work really well making strawberry smoothies or strawberry
ice cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 5:44*pm, "Cindi - HappyMamatoThree"
> wrote:
> "Myrl Jeffcoat" > wrote in message

> > The strawberries are available once again. *They are a family
> > favorite. *I don't know how many flats we've consumed since Easter -
> > but likely close to 4.

> > I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get used up.
> > Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc., what other dishes or
> > recipes can you use an over abundance of strawberries in?

> > I also use them in smoothies, and fresh fruit salads. *But we need
> > something different!

> > Myrl Jeffcoat

> Fresh pear, strawberry and spinach salad
> Strawberry Rhubarb pie
> Fresh strawberry cake with cream cheese frosting
> Strawberry swirl cheesecake
> Strawberry (or mixed berry with blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries)
> cobbler
> Pancakes with fresh strawberry syrup
> Chilled strawberry soup (I haven't made it but by sister does a good job
> with it)
>
> We got 1/2 a flat on Sunday and they are almost gone already. We did berry
> shortcake last night because I wanted raspberries and blackberries too. Very
> nice.
>
> Enjoy them whatever you do with them.
>
> Cindi
>
> I also clean and rinse then dry well about half a flat of strawberries. I
> freeze them and use them as ice cubes in sprite or 7up or gingerale for the
> kidlets and they work really well making strawberry smoothies or strawberry
> ice cream.

That's what I love about this group. I'll hit a wall on new ideas,
and you guys come right in, and chisel that wall down. All GREAT
ideas - once again!

Thank you!
Myrl Jeffcoat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
> The strawberries are available once again. They are a family
> favorite. I don't know how many flats we've consumed since Easter -
> but likely close to 4.
>
> I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get used up.
> Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc., what other dishes or
> recipes can you use an over abundance of strawberries in?
>
> I also use them in smoothies, and fresh fruit salads. But we need
> something different!

Fruit leathers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kathleen" > wrote

> Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

>> I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get used up.
>> Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc., what other dishes or
>> recipes can you use an over abundance of strawberries in?

> Fruit leathers.

Are they hard to make? I recently developed a thing for
them, I'd like to try making them myself. I don't have a
dehydrator.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Myrl Jeffcoat" > wrote in message
> The strawberries are available once again. They are a family
> favorite. I don't know how many flats we've consumed since Easter -
> but likely close to 4.
>
> I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get used up.
> Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc., what other dishes or
> recipes can you use an over abundance of strawberries in?
>
> I also use them in smoothies, and fresh fruit salads. But we need
> something different!
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

I adore fresh strawberries! I use them as often as I can, I guess. I slice them and
put them atop waffles & pancakes, in cereal, or just put a dollop of whipped cream on
them. I use them in cake filling, sliced and folded into whipped cream or pastry
cream. I make strawberry muffins, and strawberry crisp, and strawberry cobbler bars.
Hmmm..what else? Oh yes, they're good in salad, and I don't mean just fruit salad. A
green salad.

One of my favorite things to do with strawberries is the dice them, and use them as a
filling in wontons. You can add chocolate or fresh mint or a little orange zest, or
just toss them with a little sugar and go to town! lol Fry them up and dust with
confectioner's sugar while still hot.

One more thing...when I was pregnant, I couldn't stomach dairy, so my midwife told me
about almond milk. I used to make almond milk, then add strawberries and blend..it's
tasty and good for you. If you freeze them first, it will be like a milkshake.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:47:28 -0700 (PDT), Myrl Jeffcoat
> wrote:

>The strawberries are available once again.

Ohhh...I had better get some before I leave California. Won't see
really GOOD California strawberries after I leave here in May.
Thankfully, the farmers markets have lucious ones.

I think I will make some jam to take home with me:refrigerator
jam..which is nice and not too sweet.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I don't have a dehydrator.

> yes you do...it's that thing called your oven that's set on lowest heat
> with the door propped open a inch.

Heh, after I posted I thought I should have said dedicated dehydrator,
in case any instructions called for one.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:47:28 -0700 (PDT), Myrl Jeffcoat
> wrote:

>The strawberries are available once again. They are a family
>favorite. I don't know how many flats we've consumed since Easter -
>but likely close to 4.
>
>I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get used up.
>Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc., what other dishes or
>recipes can you use an over abundance of strawberries in?
>
>I also use them in smoothies, and fresh fruit salads. But we need
>something different!
>
>Myrl Jeffcoat

Make your own strawberry icecream - all you need is fresh
strawberries, cream, and sugar... and a food processor for the mixing.

Whip the cream, puree the strawberries with sugar and mix them
together then freeze for an hour. Take the slush out and put it back
in the food processor and break it up again, then put it back in the
freezer. Repeat once or twice more. Delicous!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myrl Jeffcoat > wrote in

ups.com:

> I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get
> used up. Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc.,
> what other dishes or recipes can you use an over abundance
> of strawberries in?

ice cream!

> I also use them in smoothies, and fresh fruit salads. But
> we need something different!

strawberry vinegrette? dried strawberries? strawberry
muffins? strawberry pie (with or without rhubarb)? sugared
strawberries, ice cream sauce, freeze for when they're out of
season?
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma > wrote in news:Xns9A7A585FC1C97enigmaempirenet@
199.125.85.9:

> strawberry pie (with or without rhubarb)?

Sacrilege! There is nothing finer than a rhubarb and strawberry
tart...unless it is a rhubarb and strawberry pie or warm stewed rhubarb and
strwberries with ice cream on top.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 4:47*pm, Myrl Jeffcoat > wrote:
> The strawberries are available once again. *They are a family
> favorite. *I don't know how many flats we've consumed since Easter -
> but likely close to 4.
>
> I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get used up.
> Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc., what other dishes or
> recipes can you use an over abundance of strawberries in?
>
> I also use them in smoothies, and fresh fruit salads. *But we need
> something different!
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

I have a recipe for a fresh strawberry cake roll:

Strawberry Pinwheel Cake

Cake:

4 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
1/2 C. sugar
1 C. sifted cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 T. warm water
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
powdered sugar

Strawberry filling:

1 C. whipping cream
1 T. sugar
3 T. prepared lemon curd, at room temp.
1 pint basket strawberries, stemmed and coarsely
chopped

Garnish:

powdered sugar
1 pint basket berries

To make cake: heat oven to 375 deg. Line 15 x 10
inch jelly
roll pan with aluminum foil; coat with cooking
spray. In large
mixer bowl, beat yolks and eggs at high speed
about 5
minutes, until thick and lemon-colored. Continuing
at high
speed, gradually beat in granulated sugar until
mixture is pale
and thick. Gently fold in dry ingredients, except
powdered
sugar, to blend thoroughly. Fold in water, oil
and vanilla.
Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake in center of
oven about 10
minutes and until springy to touch.

Meanwhile, coat a clean dish towel with powdered
sugar.
Invert hot cake onto towel close to one long
edge. Gently
peel off foil. Trim 1/2 inch off each short side
of cake.
Starting from long side, tightly roll cake and
towel. Set on
rack to cool completely.

To make filling: in mixer bowl, whip cream to
form soft
peaks. Beat in sugar to form stiff peaks. Fold
in lemon curd
to blend thoroughly. Fold in fresh strawberries.
Gently unroll
cake. Spread strawberry mixture evenly on cake
and reroll.
Place seamside down on flat, clean surface.

Dust cake with powdered sugar, then cut into 8
(about 1 3/4
inch) slices. Place each slice on serving plate.
Garnish with
whole and halved strawberries. (Makes 8
servings.)

(Sorry about the formatting)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 7:57*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> [...]

> towel. *Set on
> * * * * * * * * * * rack to cool completely.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * To make filling: *in mixer bowl, whip cream to
> form soft
> * * * * * * * * * * peaks. *Beat in sugar to form stiff peaks. *Fold
> in lemon curd
> * * * * * * * * * * to blend thoroughly. *Fold in fresh strawberries.
> Gently unroll
> * * * * * * * * * * cake. *Spread strawberry mixture evenly on cake
> and reroll.
> * * * * * * * * * * Place seamside down on flat, clean surface.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * Dust cake with powdered sugar, then cut into 8
> (about 1 3/4
> * * * * * * * * * * inch) slices. *Place each slice on serving plate.
> Garnish with
> * * * * * * * * * * whole and halved strawberries. *(Makes 8

That sounds really nice- perfect for summer!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 10:24*pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:Cc-
> :
>
> > *I don't have a
> > dehydrator.

> yes you do...it's that thing called your oven that's set on lowest heat
> with the door propped open a inch.

I actually have a dehydrator. It was bought specifically for making
fruit leathers, but more recently I use it for making jerky, when
London Broil comes on sale, and for drying Roma Tomatoe halves.

I haven't made fruit leathers in years, however. . .Maybe it's time to
start again.

Myrl Jeffcoat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 9:01*pm, "Nexis" > wrote:
> "Myrl Jeffcoat" > wrote in message

> > The strawberries are available once again. *They are a family
> > favorite. *I don't know how many flats we've consumed since Easter -
> > but likely close to 4.

> > I don't usually make jam or jelly - it doesn't easily get used up.
> > Other than the usual Strawberry Short Cake, etc., what other dishes or
> > recipes can you use an over abundance of strawberries in?

> > I also use them in smoothies, and fresh fruit salads. *But we need
> > something different!

> > Myrl Jeffcoat

> I adore fresh strawberries! I use them as often as I can, I guess. I slice them and
> put them atop waffles & pancakes, in cereal, or just put a dollop of whipped cream on
> them. I use them in cake filling, sliced and folded into whipped cream or pastry
> cream. I make strawberry muffins, and strawberry crisp, and strawberry cobbler bars.
> Hmmm..what else? Oh yes, they're good in salad, and I don't mean just fruit salad. A
> green salad.
>
> One of my favorite things to do with strawberries is the dice them, and use them as a
> filling in wontons. You can add chocolate or fresh mint or a little orange zest, or
> just toss them with a little sugar and go to town! lol *Fry them up and dust with
> confectioner's sugar while still hot.
>
> One more thing...when I was pregnant, I couldn't stomach dairy, so my midwife told me
> about almond milk. I used to make almond milk, then add strawberries and blend..it's
> tasty and good for you. *If you freeze them first, it will be like a milkshake.
>
> kimberly

Oh my goodness, almond milk and strawberries blended, sounds
heavenly! I freeze quite a lot of strawberries, and use them mainly
in smoothies, etc.

Myrl Jeffcoat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 9:03*am, merryb > wrote:
> [...]

> > form soft
> > * * * * * * * * * * peaks. *Beat in sugar to form stiff peaks. *Fold
> > in lemon curd
> > * * * * * * * * * * to blend thoroughly. *Fold in fresh strawberries.
> > Gently unroll
> > * * * * * * * * * * cake. *Spread strawberry mixture evenly on cake
> > and reroll.
> > * * * * * * * * * * Place seamside down on flat, clean surface.

> > * * * * * * * * * * Dust cake with powdered sugar, then cut into 8
> > (about 1 3/4
> > * * * * * * * * * * inch) slices. *Place each slice on serving plate.
> > Garnish with
> > * * * * * * * * * * whole and halved strawberries. *(Makes 8
> > servings.)

> > (Sorry about the formatting)

> > N.

> That sounds really nice- perfect for summer!- Hide quoted text -

I am in so much trouble with all these strawberry recipes and
ideas. . .Why do I see my future as waddling through life;-)

Myrl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 9:34*am, hahabogus > wrote:
> enigma > wrote in news:Xns9A7A585FC1C97enigmaempirenet@
> 199.125.85.9:
>
> > strawberry pie (with or without rhubarb)?

> Sacrilege! There is nothing finer than a rhubarb and strawberry
> tart...unless it is a rhubarb and strawberry pie or warm stewed rhubarb and
> strwberries with ice cream on top.
>
> --
>
> The house of the burning beet-Alan
>
> A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
> asked for his balance.

Well, I like rhubarb all by itself in a pie; strawberries? Nope,
don't like that.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Myrl Jeffcoat" > wrote in message
On Apr 7, 9:01 pm, "Nexis" > wrote:
<SNIP>

>> One more thing...when I was pregnant, I couldn't stomach dairy, so my midwife told
>> me
>> about almond milk. I used to make almond milk, then add strawberries and
>> blend..it's
>> tasty and good for you. If you freeze them first, it will be like a milkshake.
>>
>> kimberly

>Oh my goodness, almond milk and strawberries blended, sounds
>heavenly! I freeze quite a lot of strawberries, and use them mainly
>in smoothies, etc.

>Myrl Jeffcoat

Sounds like you'd love this, then It's the perfect blend, doesn't even need sugar,
though you could of course add some if you wanted. Sometimes I add a little drop of
vanilla, just to up the ante

kimberly