Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Strawberry Shortcake Pie

Strawberry Shortcake Pie

submitted by butterflydog

Crust:
spongecake or pound cake , sliced thin

Filling:
2 lbs whole strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
whipped cream for topping
Marshmallows as needed

Having a ton of strawberries left from my daughter's wedding reception I decided
to make a bunch of different strawberry recipes. This is "adapted " from June
Gourmet. Best if served the day made; the pie is very delicious. It originally
called for a shortcake crust made from cookies. I had none and used my leftover
sponge cake, giving the pie a more cake like texture. I also added the
marshmallows to decorate it. Press cake into a 9 inch pie pan to form the bottom
crust. Set aside.

Select 20 large berries of the same size and set aside. To remainder of berries,
chopped in 1/4 inch pieces and mix in with the sugar and lemon juice and let sit
30 minutes. Drain and press our as much liquid from the mixture, reserving
berries. To the berry liquid add enough water to equal 2 cups. Transfer liquid to
saucepan, stir in gelatin to soften , let sit a minute. Then heat and stir mixture
just until mixture comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and place in metal bowl set
over another bowl of ice water and mix and stir until mixture begins to mound (
about 20 to 20 minutes). Or place in refrigerator to chill until mixture begins to
gel. Place the whole berries decoratively in pie shell. Pour the partially gelled
mixture of berries evenly over whole berries. Slice some marshmallows and fit
decoratively around edges of pie. Chill pie at least 4 hours till mixture is firm.
Garnish whole pie or pieces with whipped cream. Pie can be chilled and loosely
covered for up to one week.

http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes/
International Recipes OnLine
On-Line Culinary Discussion at Food.Chat:
http://www.simpleinternet.com/foodchat/

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/