Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Reader

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 04:24:53 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:24:56 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
>>>news

>>>Everyone has a different definition of "fun".

>> If it's not fun why are you here?
>>
>>>Your children's grammar
>>>teachers would be horrified by yours.

>> The kids are way past having grammar teachers. But I'm sure when they
>> were younger the teachers could have cared less.

>Well, not all of us live in outhouses with goats for sexual partners. In
>some places, the parents and teachers actually give a damn how the kids turn
>out.

it's true, lack of caps unmistakably indicates sexual perversion. it
indicates a morbid lack of interest in erect penises.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:47:19 +1100, "FarmI" <ask@itshall be given>
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:10:02 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>>Got kids or grandkids?
>>>

>> no, i rent them.
>>
>> are you saying that if i were a parent, my sense of responsibility
>> would drive me to use capital letters? you're a ****ing kook.

>Tsk, tsk! Watch your adjectives! He may be a kook but unless you have an
>intimate relationship with him, you don't know if he ****s or not.

let's not be too literal-minded here. you may start exhibited
alarming joe-like tendencies.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:00:34 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 02:06:39 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>>Lou <------Imagining grammar teachers having nightmares about parents
>>who don't use caps.

>some people say i drove my grammar teacher to drink, but i think it
>was her husband.

I got A's in science and math, but English was a real struggle for me.
Never above a B. I didn't finish college, but I took a lot of speech
and business communications classes. I always got A's for my
speeches, but there was always something wrong with my notes. So my
grades were usually B+ or A-. I just don't have whatever it takes.
All it took was one typo in my speech outline and it pulled me down.
I seem to have done pretty well in life in spite of that.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe for Pineapple

a nonny mus wrote:
> Can someone give me a recipe for fresh pineapple please.

One of my favourites is Fraises Sarah Bernhardt.

(for 8 - 10 people)

Using about 3 - 4 pounds of fresh strawberries, remove the stems and put
2/3 of the nicest ones in a bowl, lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar,
add 5 - 6 wine glasses of white wine (or sweet wine of choice) and
chill. Puree the rest of the strawberries and mix with about a cup of
sugar (depending on sweetness of strawberries and taste) and add to the
whole wine and strawberry mixture.

Take a whole small pineapple and peel and core and then slice, then
prepare a pulp of pineapple by roughly chopping or using a fork to pull
apart or shred, canned pineapple in water can be used. Sprinkle this
shredded pineapple with about a cup of sugar and reserve in the
refrigerator.

Prepare about 3 cups of cream chantilly or ordinary whipped cream and
have on hand (if not making fresh) 8 - 10 cups of a good vanilla ice
cream.

to serve;

Place a serving of vanilla ice cream in a bowl, flatten the ice cream
then, using a slotted spoon, place over this some of the whole
strawberries. Cover this with a few tbs. of the shredded pineapple. Top
with the whipped cream that has had the strawberry puree lightly folded
in, the strawberry puree should be folded into the whipped cream in such
a way as to produce an obvious mix of cream and strawberry.

Originally this dish had a lace of spun sugar over it and the original
recipe suggests the whipped cream and strawberry puree should resemble,
or "give the illusion of a beautiful sunset."

--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"a nonny mus" > wrote in news:5v9j73F1ld56gU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Can someone give me a recipe for fresh pineapple please.

First off peel and core pineapple and cut into loverly rings.

Make up a sauce of brown sugar, butter and some dark rum, usually equal
parts brown sugar and butter and say 1 oz of rum.

Irish whiskey or burbon works well if you don't have dark rum. But rum
and butter were made for each other.

Now grill the pineapple over high heat on your bbq grill rings, you are
looking here for nice grill marks as well as cooking the rings.

Baste and serve with sauce.

Easy, tasty, fast.

Fresh pineapple used in stirfries is nice...also add some cashews.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> Can someone give me a recipe for fresh pineapple please.

>First off peel and core pineapple and cut into loverly rings.
>
>Make up a sauce of brown sugar, butter and some dark rum, usually equal
>parts brown sugar and butter and say 1 oz of rum.
>
>Irish whiskey or burbon works well if you don't have dark rum. But rum
>and butter were made for each other.
>
>Now grill the pineapple over high heat on your bbq grill rings, you are
>looking here for nice grill marks as well as cooking the rings.
>
>Baste and serve with sauce.
>
>Easy, tasty, fast.
>

>Fresh pineapple used in stirfries is nice...also add some cashews.

As an aside, we've always eaten the cores as well. The circles came
in cans and they are very pretty, but try a piece of the core some
time. When I was young, I had teenage friends who during the summer,
canned "Pine". They said the machine needed to grab the rings so the
company removed the cores to fit a sleeve. Granted the cores are more
fibrous but if it is a good pineapple, the center is great too.

We eat all of the pineapples that we grow here, but then we have
selected the very best to grow.

Yes grilled pineapples are very tasty!
aloha,
Cea
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "FarmI" <ask@itshall be given> wrote in message

>>> The hideous "misused apostrophe" plague seems to support the idea that
>>> large segments of the American population are not discerning. Kids learn
>>> its correct usage in school, but they're assaulted by errors elsewhere,
>>> and the results are obvious.

>> Not knowing or using it incorrectly suggests that people have not learned
>> how to use it. They may have been exposed to how it should be used but
>> being exposed to it and learning it are not necessarily the same thing.
>> You have learned how to use it, as have I so we don't use it incorrectly
>> and thus we can recognise when we see it used incorrectly. Many children
>> leave school not being able to read well, or even at all, and
>> increasingly it seems that schools don't even know that thse kids are
>> functionally illiterate. If schools don't notice that, they won't notice
>> correct apostrophe usage or lack thereof.

> We can't send those kids back to school. When they screw up their writing,
> should someone mention it to them, or let them go through life looking
> like idiots?

There is no 'one size fits all' response to that question. It is only worth
doing if the kid/adult who can't write/doesn't know the correct usage is
going to be responsive to learning. Unlikley to ever work on usenet. In
real life, maybe, but that is also situationally dependant and also person
dependant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FarmI" <ask@itshall be given> wrote in message
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message

>>> Not knowing or using it incorrectly suggests that people have not
>>> learned how to use it. They may have been exposed to how it should be
>>> used but being exposed to it and learning it are not necessarily the
>>> same thing. You have learned how to use it, as have I so we don't use it
>>> incorrectly and thus we can recognise when we see it used incorrectly.
>>> Many children leave school not being able to read well, or even at all,
>>> and increasingly it seems that schools don't even know that thse kids
>>> are functionally illiterate. If schools don't notice that, they won't
>>> notice correct apostrophe usage or lack thereof.

>> We can't send those kids back to school. When they screw up their
>> writing, should someone mention it to them, or let them go through life
>> looking like idiots?

> There is no 'one size fits all' response to that question. It is only
> worth doing if the kid/adult who can't write/doesn't know the correct
> usage is going to be responsive to learning. Unlikley to ever work on
> usenet. In real life, maybe, but that is also situationally dependant and
> also person dependant.

I must've raised a smarter kid than some parents. He's 18. He writes
beautifully. But, every now and then, he'll bring my attention to the way a
word is used in something he's reading, if it's something he's never seen
before.

Perhaps the key concept is laziness, or lack thereof.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:41:53 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>"a nonny mus" > wrote in news:5v9j73F1ld56gU1
:

>> Can someone give me a recipe for fresh pineapple please.

>First off peel and core pineapple and cut into loverly rings.
>
>Make up a sauce of brown sugar, butter and some dark rum, usually equal
>parts brown sugar and butter and say 1 oz of rum.
>
>Irish whiskey or burbon works well if you don't have dark rum. But rum
>and butter were made for each other.

Sounds good, very good, but do you have any suggestions for a
substitution for the rum, bourbon, whiskey? I can't deal with alcohol
in any form, and there is no way all of the alcohol evaporates during
cooking.

Thanks,
Jimson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:40:34 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>hahabogus wrote:
>> wrote in news:fdv1p35or6jc2am51mpl0ppjo4u48bm4q4@
>> 4ax.com:

>>> Sounds good, very good, but do you have any suggestions for a
>>> substitution for the rum, bourbon, whiskey? I can't deal with alcohol
>>> in any form, and there is no way all of the alcohol evaporates during
>>> cooking.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jimson
>>>

>> rum extract, vanilla extract?
>>

>Just leave it out or add the same amount of fruit juice.
>
>gloria p

Thanks guys, fruit juice might work very well- I've used apple
juice in the past, many times, as a substitute for white wine.
The extracts probably will be alright too as long as they are
the "artificial" variety.

Just a parting thought- I've got a fair quantity of real Maple
Syrup on hand; maybe I'll try that- if I do I'll get back to you about
the results. Wouldn't that be something if it worked out O.K.-
a Hawiian/Central American/French Canadian recipe.

Thanks again, Jimson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:49:38 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 18-Jan-2008, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> > substitution for the rum, bourbon, whiskey? I can't deal with alcohol
>> > in any form, and there is no way all of the alcohol evaporates during
>> > cooking.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jimson
>> >

>> rum extract, vanilla extract?

>they also contain alcohol; that is the medium that carries the extracted
>flavor. McCormick brand contains 29% and 35% alcohol, respectively

Pineapple smoothies are a normal thing in Hawaii. I think it is just
pineapple, ice and some thing like yogurt or ice cream all blended up.

aloha,
Cea
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:40:24 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:02:58 -0500, The Cook wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 06:08:20 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun 13 Jan 2008 10:54:17p, Sqwertz told us...

>>>Yep, the same. Mine had 2 5-1/2 inch floppy drives in addition to the
>>>10meg hard drive. Protable, because it had a handle! The damned thing
>>>weight in at nearly 50 lbs.

>> Any computer is portable if you have a big enough truck.

>This one had a keyboard that snapped over top of the monitor and
>made a perfect iron-grey box about 18" wide by 12" high by 10"
>deep. And it bounced against your leg when you tried to carry
>it. It was fully self-contained unlike a desktop or tower
>computer.
>
>-sw

Hum...looks like an OT post. You must be a troll

Anthony
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "FarmI" <ask@itshall be given> wrote in message

>>> We can't send those kids back to school. When they screw up their
>>> writing, should someone mention it to them, or let them go through life
>>> looking like idiots?

>> There is no 'one size fits all' response to that question. It is only
>> worth doing if the kid/adult who can't write/doesn't know the correct
>> usage is going to be responsive to learning. Unlikley to ever work on
>> usenet. In real life, maybe, but that is also situationally dependant
>> and also person dependant.

> I must've raised a smarter kid than some parents. He's 18. He writes
> beautifully. But, every now and then, he'll bring my attention to the way
> a word is used in something he's reading, if it's something he's never
> seen before.

Well there ya go! You've raised a discerning kid and I would be very
surprised if he ever went backwards from there!

> Perhaps the key concept is laziness, or lack thereof.

I suspect so. Being curious about everything is a great motivator to learn
and those who are curious and get off their arses will continue to learn
through life. Your son is doing that it seems.

Recipe reader sale Nancy Young[_6_] General Cooking 1 02-12-2013 07:39 PM
Usenet Reader for iPad Nad General Cooking 1 08-10-2011 02:27 AM
newsgroup reader for Mac Nico Tea 5 29-08-2005 06:20 PM
apologize for new reader Beach Runner Vegan 4 05-08-2005 09:06 PM