Nico

Default newsgroup reader for Mac

Hi all,

I've been wanting to access this group through a newsgroup reader of
some sort, but (1) I don't know what to download for Mac 0S 10.4, and I
don't know how to use them. I'd be happy to receive some advice on this
matter.
Regards,
Nico

Bob

On 25 Aug 2005 09:14:28 -0700, Nico said...

>Hi all,
>
>I've been wanting to access this group through a newsgroup reader of
>some sort, but (1) I don't know what to download for Mac 0S 10.4, and I
>don't know how to use them. I'd be happy to receive some advice on this
>matter.
>Regards,
>Nico

Hi Nico,

We've operated a newsgroup service (newsguy.com) since 1992, and during that
time we've seen members use a variety of different newsreaders to connect to the
newsgroups, but I'd have to say that the following are you're best bet...

MT-NewsWatcher (Free Software)
http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/

Hogwasher (Commercial Software)
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?3/index.html

Our members have had a lot of success with them, so you shouldn't go wrong with
either reader. Hope the info is helpful.

Best regards,

NewsGuy.Com

Scott Dorsey

Nico > wrote:

>I've been wanting to access this group through a newsgroup reader of
>some sort, but (1) I don't know what to download for Mac 0S 10.4, and I
>don't know how to use them. I'd be happy to receive some advice on this
>matter.

The most popular Mac newsreaders are the Newswatcher series, which include
YA-Newswatcher and MT-Newswatcher. These all date back to the OS 5 era,
but have been updated a lot over the years, and MT-Newswatcher at least is
cleanly ported to OS X.

Mozilla also has a newsreader integrated with it, which I think is kind of
clumsy and doesn't have good killfiling, but which some people like.

And of course, since OS X has a real command line, you can use all the
good old-fashioned newsreaders from the eighties, like rn, tin, and trn.
A lot of people (including myself) prefer the command line news interface
because of the speed and convenience, but it's clearly a matter of taste.
--scott

Nico

In article .com>,

"Nico" > wrote:
> I've been wanting to access this group through a newsgroup reader of
> some sort, but (1) I don't know what to download for Mac 0S 10.4, and I
> don't know how to use them. I'd be happy to receive some advice on this
> matter.

>I use MT-Newswatcher. Check out other options at
><http://www.versiontracker.com/> or <http://www.macorchard.com/>

Thanks, I downloaded it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to use it.
How to I read/post for this group.

Nico

In article .com>,

"Nico" > wrote:
> I've been wanting to access this group through a newsgroup reader of
> some sort, but (1) I don't know what to download for Mac 0S 10.4, and I
> don't know how to use them. I'd be happy to receive some advice on this
> matter.

>I use MT-Newswatcher. Check out other options at
><http://www.versiontracker.com/> or <http://www.macorchard.com/>

Thanks, I downloaded it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to use it.
How to I read/post for this group? I'm a bit of a Mac ignoramus still.
I got my powerbook about two months ago.

Nico

Bob

On 26 Aug 2005 15:16:19 -0700, Nico said...

>In article .com>,
>
> "Nico" > wrote:
>> I've been wanting to access this group through a newsgroup reader of
>> some sort, but (1) I don't know what to download for Mac 0S 10.4, and I
>> don't know how to use them. I'd be happy to receive some advice on this
>> matter.

>>I use MT-Newswatcher. Check out other options at
>><http://www.versiontracker.com/> or <http://www.macorchard.com/>

>Thanks, I downloaded it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to use it.
>How to I read/post for this group? I'm a bit of a Mac ignoramus still.
>I got my powerbook about two months ago.
>
>Nico

Hi Nico,

A quick google search should turn up a variety of "getting started" websites for
the MT-NewsWatcher reader. The following site for example, seems to do a decent
job of covering the basic setup details (subscribing to a group, posting,
etc.)...

http://www.cit.cornell.edu/services/...s/newswatcher/

If you run into any specific problems, feel free to drop me a note.

Best regards,

NewsGuy.Com