Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Honey!....Is there a Use By Date for Honey?...

On Wed 02 Jan 2008 04:10:55a, PeterLucas told us...

> "Bigbazza" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I see that there was found some honey in one of the Pharaoh's Tombs
>> that was over 3000 years old!... But a lot of Honey that I have bought
>> or been given (like special flower and Tree types) have been left in
>> the back of my pantry through lack of use (I mainly use honey for
>> Flavouring Oriental Marinades and use in boiled Veggies, like carrots
>> etc) has developed a rank flavour etc....
>>
>> Any comments on this?
>>

> Honeybee's honey can last for thousands of years. Tropical stingless
> bee's honey doesn't and therefore must be kept refrigerated if you want
> it to last for a long time. This is because it contains a higher nectar
> and pollen content than you regular honey which gives it a pleasant
> acid/citris flavour.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingless_bee
>
> Like the European honey bee (Apis mellifera) which provides most of
> Australia's commercially-produced honey, stingless bees have enlarged
> areas on their back legs for carrying pollen back to the hive. After a
> foraging expedition, these pollen baskets or corbiculae can be seen
> stuffed full of bright orange or yellow pollen. Stingless bees also
> collect nectar, which they store in an extension of their gut called a
> crop. Back at the hive, the bees ripen or dehydrate the nectar droplets
> by spinning them inside their mouthparts until honey is formed. Ripening
> concentrates the nectar and increases the sugar content, though it is
> not nearly as concentrated as the honey from true honeybees; it is much
> thinner in consistency, and more prone to spoiling.

This may be an exception, but I was given a half-gallon jar of Tupelo honey
about 13-14 years ago. I don't use honey often and still have about a half
of the jar left. It has never been refrigerated and is still good.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must catch and eat lizards.