Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reynolds Handi Vac

On 12-12 I posted some photos of some herbs and veggies I stored using
the Reynolds Handi-Vac.

this from the 12-12 post

before
http://i13.tinypic.com/6p5j054.jpg

after
http://i4.tinypic.com/6u82a8n.jpg

12-23
I brought some of the herbs I'll be needing here at daughters in Lake
Havasu City AZ.
http://i1.tinypic.com/6tzbbx5.jpg

Love my gadgets.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/16

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> So you're the one that started this huh? Barb Schaller turned me onto
> it. I just vacume sealed a bag of brown sugar I used yesterday to make
> those nasty stained glass window cookies. I'm hoping it will help keep
> the brown sugar nice and soft. No air will get to it. We will see.
>
> Michael

Well, no clue about the "HandyVac" but my Tilia Foodsaver does it very
well. I reseal many items in the original package again and again, just
cutting it open (and smaller) with each use. Brown sugar, cereals,
chips...they all remain very fresh. I love not having to deal with
hardening brown sugar!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> So you're the one that started this huh? Barb Schaller turned me onto
> it. I just vacume sealed a bag of brown sugar I used yesterday to make
> those nasty stained glass window cookies. I'm hoping it will help keep
> the brown sugar nice and soft. No air will get to it. We will see.

I keep my brown sugar in a closed but not evacuated jar in the fridge.
Never clumps up.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 21:44:57 -0800, koko wrote:

>Love my gadgets.

Well, I'm convinced. Think I'll toddle off to Target today and buy
some for stocking stuffers.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:56:46 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>Goomba38 > dropped this news:
: in rec.food.cooking

>> Well, no clue about the "HandyVac" but my Tilia Foodsaver does it very
>> well. I reseal many items in the original package again and again, just
>> cutting it open (and smaller) with each use. Brown sugar, cereals,
>> chips...they all remain very fresh. I love not having to deal with
>> hardening brown sugar!!

>I have a foodsaver too but usually use it for big things. This Handi Vac is
>a small battery operated hand tool which is awesome.
>
>http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchen...ac/en/home.asp

I have a foodsaver also but don't have the counter space to leave it
out all the time. I love the handi-vac for small jobs

>I haven't used it a lot yet. I've sealed some cheese and some deli meats
>as well as the sugar. I've never had to bother with brown sugar before. I
>sealed it with the handi vac in it's original package. I'm glad to hear
>the brown sugar stays soft.
>
>Michael

I think you'll be pleased.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/16

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote

> I learned the hard way that one should be careful when using it on things
> with a lot of air in them - like biscuits and bread. Next time I use it
> on
> left over biscuits, I'll freeze the biscuits first, so they don't
> collapse.
> Of course, if I hadn't been evacuating the bag while talking on the phone,
> might have noticed a problem before my USA buttermilk biscuits looked like
> English McVitie tea biscuits<sigh>.

You mean ... maybe I should forget about sealing up my marshmallows?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> Blinky the Shark > dropped this
> news > rec.food.cooking
>
>> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>>
>>> So you're the one that started this huh? Barb Schaller turned me onto
>>> it. I just vacume sealed a bag of brown sugar I used yesterday to make
>>> those nasty stained glass window cookies. I'm hoping it will help keep
>>> the brown sugar nice and soft. No air will get to it. We will see.

>> I keep my brown sugar in a closed but not evacuated jar in the fridge.
>> Never clumps up.

> I just don't have room in the fridge to do that. I don't use it that much
> and it would take up space for months and months.

I use a small jar. Overstock isn't in the fridge.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > dropped this
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> You mean ... maybe I should forget about sealing up my marshmallows?
>>
>> nancy

> Actually I think you could seal the marshmallows if you were real careful
> about it. Leave them in the original package and slowly seal them. When it
> looks like they are going to squish, stop the machine.

I use my Tilia FoodSaver cannister for marshmallows. Since I keep my
FoodSaver tucked on top of my microwave (no additional counterspace lost
and it remains mostly tucked under the wall cabinet above) it is always
readily available to reseal as the need arises.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 16:19:42 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 24-Dec-2007, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
>> I haven't used it a lot yet. I've sealed some cheese and some deli meats
>> as well as the sugar. I've never had to bother with brown sugar before. I
>>
>> sealed it with the handi vac in it's original package. I'm glad to hear
>> the brown sugar stays soft.
>>
>> Michael

>I learned the hard way that one should be careful when using it on things
>with a lot of air in them - like biscuits and bread. Next time I use it on
>left over biscuits, I'll freeze the biscuits first, so they don't collapse.
>Of course, if I hadn't been evacuating the bag while talking on the phone, I
>might have noticed a problem before my USA buttermilk biscuits looked like
>English McVitie tea biscuits<sigh>.

Too funny, I learned that lesson with the Tila. Gotta keep your eye on
it.

koko
---