Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

Default I like my Reynolds Handi Vac

I've been using it every day now since... gee... June. OK, that's
wrong. The first one I bought I used for about a month until for some
reason the suction no longer worked.

So I've been using my 2nd one since July-ish, and on a daily basis.

It work great for everything I use:

- blocks of cheese
- frozen veggies
- bread (keep half in fridge in close-to-airtight back and other half
in freezer)
- quick breads (slice em up, seal em)
- snacks (e.g. crackers)
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- fresh meats (chicken, ground beef)

The batteries last about a month. It takes 6 AA.

And even if this breaks again, it's only $10.

I re-use the bags except for those used on meats. I simply keep the
unused bags for the freezer goods in the freezer and same with the
fridge bags, unless open products like cheese has been in them (if not
first wrapped before placing in bag) then I throw the bag out. Could
probably wash the bag.

So just wanted to pass this along. Much cheaper than the Food Saver,
and though I never used one, suits my purposes just fine.

The bags see really well and tight around the products and since I'm
not storing frozen stuff for months, they serve me well.
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

Declan's Dad wrote:
> I've been using it every day now since... gee... June. OK, that's
> wrong. The first one I bought I used for about a month until for some
> reason the suction no longer worked.
>
> So I've been using my 2nd one since July-ish, and on a daily basis.

> The batteries last about a month. It takes 6 AA.

I'm glad you like the thing, but I hope you use rechargeable
batteries, or at least recycle the regular kind.

nancy
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Declan's Dad wrote:
>> I've been using it every day now since... gee... June. OK, that's
>> wrong. The first one I bought I used for about a month until for some
>> reason the suction no longer worked.
>>
>> So I've been using my 2nd one since July-ish, and on a daily basis.

>> The batteries last about a month. It takes 6 AA.

> I'm glad you like the thing, but I hope you use rechargeable
> batteries, or at least recycle the regular kind.

If everybody who gave a shit did everything they could to protect and
preserve the environment, there would still be the other 90% not caring at
all.

I speak of my neighbors. I live in a poorer area of town. Their idea of
recycling is to throw their quart malt liquor bottles out into my yard as
they drive by. Mine and everybody else's. They just don't give a shit.

At any rate, I have one of the handi-vacs and I love it too. It's on it's
second set of batteries, and yes, they are rechargeable.

My bitch about the product is that it won't hold a vacuum in the fridge. It
does great in the freezer, but manages to leak out in the fridge.
Anybody have any input on this?

TFM®

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 10:50*am, "Declan's Dad" > wrote:
> I've been using it every day now since... gee... June. OK, that's
> wrong. The first one I bought I used for about a month until for some
> reason the suction no longer worked.
>
> So I've been using my 2nd one since July-ish, and on a daily basis.
>
> It work great for everything I use:
>
> - blocks of cheese
> - frozen veggies
> - bread (keep half in fridge in close-to-airtight back and other half
> in freezer)
> - quick breads (slice em up, seal em)
> - snacks (e.g. crackers)
> - fresh grated parmesan cheese
> - fresh meats (chicken, ground beef)
>
> The batteries last about a month. It takes 6 AA.
>
> And even if this breaks again, it's only $10.
>
> I re-use the bags except for those used on meats. I simply keep the
> unused bags for the freezer goods in the freezer and same with the
> fridge bags, unless open products like cheese has been in them (if not
> first wrapped before placing in bag) then I throw the bag out. Could
> probably wash the bag.
>
> So just wanted to pass this along. Much cheaper than the Food Saver,
> and though I never used one, suits my purposes just fine.
>
> The bags see really well and tight around the products and since I'm
> not storing frozen stuff for months, they serve me well.

I love mine, too. I haven't had any trouble at all. I have noticed
that the smaller bags seal more easily than the large ones ... just a
matter of volume, I think.

I see some other company is also making them - was it Glad? They're
on the supermarket shelf along with the Reynolds deal.

N.
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 3:22*pm, TFM® > wrote:

> My bitch about the product is that it won't hold a vacuum in the fridge. *It
> does great in the freezer, but manages to leak out in the fridge.
> Anybody have any input on this?
>
> TFM®

Is a FoodSaver vacuum sealer in your future?? Not only does it vacuum
bags you make yourself from their rolls, but it also vacuums and seals
their cannisters and straight sided canning jars you buy at the
grocery store. This doesn't take the place of home canning, it's just
some things are easily stored in a canning jar.

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> Is a FoodSaver vacuum sealer in your future?? Not only does it vacuum
> bags you make yourself from their rolls, but it also vacuums and seals
> their cannisters and straight sided canning jars you buy at the
> grocery store. This doesn't take the place of home canning, it's just
> some things are easily stored in a canning jar.

Can you explain that to me? I don't get it. I have the
attachment, I'd like to try it. If I bought canning jars and
lids with seals(?), it could suck the air out of there?

(laugh) I'm just not understanding how that would work.

nancy

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
>> Is a FoodSaver vacuum sealer in your future?? Not only does it vacuum
>> bags you make yourself from their rolls, but it also vacuums and seals
>> their cannisters and straight sided canning jars you buy at the
>> grocery store. This doesn't take the place of home canning, it's just
>> some things are easily stored in a canning jar.

> Can you explain that to me? I don't get it. I have the attachment, I'd
> like to try it. If I bought canning jars and
> lids with seals(?), it could suck the air out of there?
>
> (laugh) I'm just not understanding how that would work.
>
> nancy

It's been a while since I've used ours that way, but as I recall, you
place the lid (NOT the ring) no the jar, and put the attachment over the
top, down onto the threads. When you pull the vacuum, then release it,
the lid seals down tight against the jar. Pull off the attachment and
clamp down the ring.

Dave
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

Dave Bell wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>>
>>> Is a FoodSaver vacuum sealer in your future?? Not only does it
>>> vacuum bags you make yourself from their rolls, but it also vacuums
>>> and seals their cannisters and straight sided canning jars you buy
>>> at the grocery store. This doesn't take the place of home canning,
>>> it's just some things are easily stored in a canning jar.

>> Can you explain that to me? I don't get it. I have the attachment,
>> I'd like to try it. If I bought canning jars and
>> lids with seals(?), it could suck the air out of there?

> It's been a while since I've used ours that way, but as I recall, you
> place the lid (NOT the ring) no the jar, and put the attachment over
> the top, down onto the threads. When you pull the vacuum, then
> release it, the lid seals down tight against the jar. Pull off the
> attachment and clamp down the ring.

Okay, I'm going to do this, thank you.

nancy
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 8:55*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Dave Bell wrote:
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Can you explain that to me? *I don't get it. *I have the attachment,
> >> I'd like to try it. *If I bought canning jars and
> >> lids with seals(?), it could suck the air out of there?

> > It's been a while since I've used ours that way, but as I recall, you
> > place the lid (NOT the ring) no the jar, and put the attachment over
> > *the top, down onto the threads. When you pull the vacuum, then
> > release it, the lid seals down tight against the jar. Pull off the
> > attachment and clamp down the ring.

> Okay, I'm going to do this, thank you.
>
> nancy

The dvd recommends when you remove the canning lid to use the side of
a spoon to pry it off and not a bottle opener. This is so you can use
the lid again and again to seal the jar(s). A bottle opener slightly
bends the lid when you remove it. And remember, STRAIGHT sided
canning jars!

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 1:22*pm, TFM® > wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > Declan's Dad wrote:
> >> I've been using it every day now since... gee... June. OK, that's
> >> wrong. The first one I bought I used for about a month until for some
> >> reason the suction no longer worked.

> >> So I've been using my 2nd one since July-ish, and on a daily basis.

> >> The batteries last about a month. It takes 6 AA.

> > I'm glad you like the thing, but I hope you use rechargeable
> > batteries, or at least recycle the regular kind.

> If everybody who gave a shit did everything they could to protect and
> preserve the environment, there would still be the other 90% not caring at
> all.
>
> I speak of my neighbors. *I live in a poorer area of town. *Their idea of
> recycling is to throw their quart malt liquor bottles out into my yard as
> they drive by. *Mine and everybody else's. *They just don't give a shit.
>
> At any rate, I have one of the handi-vacs and I love it too. *It's on it's
> second set of batteries, and yes, they are rechargeable.
>
> My bitch about the product is that it won't hold a vacuum in the fridge. *It
> does great in the freezer, but manages to leak out in the fridge.
> Anybody have any input on this?
>
> TFM®

I hope you bag them up and give them back- otherwise, hopefully you
can turn them in for a deposit return?

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I'm glad you like the thing, but I hope you use rechargeable
>> batteries, or at least recycle the regular kind.

> If everybody who gave a shit did everything they could to protect and
> preserve the environment, there would still be the other 90% not
> caring at all.

I just hate to think of all those batteries in the landfill.

> I speak of my neighbors. I live in a poorer area of town. Their
> idea of recycling is to throw their quart malt liquor bottles out
> into my yard as they drive by. Mine and everybody else's. They just
> don't give a shit.

Some people turn their neighborhood into a slum then bitch how
they have to live in a slum.

> At any rate, I have one of the handi-vacs and I love it too. It's on
> it's second set of batteries, and yes, they are rechargeable.

I think it's a great alternative to a full sized foodsaver, as
people say it works for them and isn't just another gadget
cluttering the place.

nancy

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> Declan's Dad wrote:
>>> I've been using it every day now since... gee... June. OK, that's
>>> wrong. The first one I bought I used for about a month until for some
>>> reason the suction no longer worked.
>>>
>>> So I've been using my 2nd one since July-ish, and on a daily basis.

>>> The batteries last about a month. It takes 6 AA.

>> I'm glad you like the thing, but I hope you use rechargeable
>> batteries, or at least recycle the regular kind.

> If everybody who gave a shit did everything they could to protect and
> preserve the environment, there would still be the other 90% not caring
> at all.
>
> I speak of my neighbors. I live in a poorer area of town. Their idea
> of recycling is to throw their quart malt liquor bottles out into my
> yard as they drive by. Mine and everybody else's. They just don't give
> a shit.
>
> At any rate, I have one of the handi-vacs and I love it too. It's on
> it's second set of batteries, and yes, they are rechargeable.
>
> My bitch about the product is that it won't hold a vacuum in the
> fridge. It does great in the freezer, but manages to leak out in the
> fridge.
> Anybody have any input on this?
>

> TFM®

Apparently they know there is a flaw in their product regarding
refrigerator storage because all of the language on their website
mentions only freezer use.

You could certainly call: Reynolds Consumer Response at 1-800-433-2244
9:00 am - 4:30 pm. and ask.
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

> My bitch about the product is that it won't hold a vacuum in the fridge. *It
> does great in the freezer, but manages to leak out in the fridge.
> Anybody have any input on this?
>
> TFM®

There is absolutely no leakage in the bags I've used in my
refrigerator! I put cut onion in one - since I rarely use a whole
onion at one time - and I've never had an leakage (or odor). This is
one of the best uses of the Handi-Vac that I've found.

If you're having trouble in the fridge, then something is wrong with
your sealing technique or something, or you may have gotten an "off"
box of bags.

I've had mine since they first came out, and have replaced the
batteries ONE time so far. Anyway, the thing comes with 6 AA
batteries to begin with. Total cost of the vacuum thingie - $10.
Pretty hard to beat.

N.