Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default FYI - Reynold's Handi-Vac

There's a $2.50 coupon in the newspaper supplement, in many
Sunday papers.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> There's a $2.50 coupon in the newspaper supplement, in many
>> Sunday papers.

> I saw that this morning and wondered if the product was any good/worth the
> purchase.

I only mentioned it because people seem to like it and other people
here were talking about buying one. I don't have one, so I can't
give an opinion.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> There's a $2.50 coupon in the newspaper supplement, in many
> Sunday papers.
>
> nancy

I saw that this morning and wondered if the product was any good/worth
the purchase.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 13:01:16 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Tracy" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> There's a $2.50 coupon in the newspaper supplement, in many
>>> Sunday papers.

>> I saw that this morning and wondered if the product was any good/worth the
>> purchase.

>I only mentioned it because people seem to like it and other people
>here were talking about buying one. I don't have one, so I can't
>give an opinion.
>
>nancy

I just bought one today and I really like it. I used it for putting up
some herbs and veggies. I found it very easy to use.

I have a Tila that I use all the time but it's inconvenient to drag it
out for every little thing. I will now us the Tila mostly for freezer
items and use the Reynold's for refrigerator stuff that I get into
frequently like cheese etc...

before
http://i13.tinypic.com/6p5j054.jpg

after
http://i4.tinypic.com/6u82a8n.jpg

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Dec 2007 09:10:10p, meant to say...

> On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 13:01:16 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>> I saw that this morning and wondered if the product was any good/worth
>>> the purchase.

>>I only mentioned it because people seem to like it and other people
>>here were talking about buying one. I don't have one, so I can't
>>give an opinion.
>>
>>nancy
>>

> I just bought one today and I really like it. I used it for putting up
> some herbs and veggies. I found it very easy to use.
>
> I have a Tila that I use all the time but it's inconvenient to drag it
> out for every little thing. I will now us the Tila mostly for freezer
> items and use the Reynold's for refrigerator stuff that I get into
> frequently like cheese etc...
>
> before
> http://i13.tinypic.com/6p5j054.jpg
>
> after
> http://i4.tinypic.com/6u82a8n.jpg
>
> koko
> ---
> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 11/15
>
> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> George Bernard Shaw

I don't have a Tilia, but I think I might buy one of these.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 9th,2007

Today is: Second Sunday of Advent
Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 2hrs 45mins
The difference between the military
and the Boy Scouts is the Boy Scouts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 8:44 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> There's a $2.50 coupon in the newspaper supplement, in many
> Sunday papers.
>
> nancy

I love it! It's only $10, and will fit anywhere in a cupboard or
drawer - well worth the price. It even comes with batteries, ready to
use.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 10:23 pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Dec 2007 09:10:10p, meant to say...
>

> > On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 13:01:16 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> > wrote:

> >>"Tracy" > wrote

> >>I only mentioned it because people seem to like it and other people
> >>here were talking about buying one. I don't have one, so I can't
> >>give an opinion.

> >>nancy

> > I just bought one today and I really like it. I used it for putting up
> > some herbs and veggies. I found it very easy to use.

> > I have a Tila that I use all the time but it's inconvenient to drag it
> > out for every little thing. I will now us the Tila mostly for freezer
> > items and use the Reynold's for refrigerator stuff that I get into
> > frequently like cheese etc...

> > before
> >http://i13.tinypic.com/6p5j054.jpg

> > after
> >http://i4.tinypic.com/6u82a8n.jpg

> > koko
> > ---
> >http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> > updated 11/15

> > "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> > George Bernard Shaw

> I don't have a Tilia, but I think I might buy one of these.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> Date: Sunday, December 9th,2007

> Today is: Second Sunday of Advent
> Countdown 'til Christmas
> 2wks 2hrs 45mins
> The difference between the military
> and the Boy Scouts is the Boy Scouts - Hide quoted text -

You won't regret it, I promise! ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Dec 8, 8:44 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> There's a $2.50 coupon in the newspaper supplement, in many
>> Sunday papers.
>>
>> nancy

> I love it! It's only $10, and will fit anywhere in a cupboard or
> drawer - well worth the price. It even comes with batteries, ready to
> use.
>
> N.

Sold! I think I will pick one up today after work. Gotta stop home
first to dig out the coupon though.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 20:10:10 -0800, koko wrote:

>On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 13:01:16 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>wrote:

>>> I saw that this morning and wondered if the product was any good/worth the
>>> purchase.

>>I only mentioned it because people seem to like it and other people
>>here were talking about buying one. I don't have one, so I can't
>>give an opinion.
>>
>>nancy
>>

>I just bought one today and I really like it. I used it for putting up
>some herbs and veggies. I found it very easy to use.
>
>I have a Tila that I use all the time but it's inconvenient to drag it
>out for every little thing. I will now us the Tila mostly for freezer
>items and use the Reynold's for refrigerator stuff that I get into
>frequently like cheese etc...

I keep my Tilia on the counter and use it for something almost every
day. It is like most appliances, if it is available, it will get
used. If you have to drag it out and set it up you will rarely use
it.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 20:10:10 -0800, koko wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 13:01:16 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Tracy" > wrote

>>>I only mentioned it because people seem to like it and other people
>>>here were talking about buying one. I don't have one, so I can't
>>>give an opinion.
>>>
>>>nancy
>>>

>>I just bought one today and I really like it. I used it for putting up
>>some herbs and veggies. I found it very easy to use.
>>
>>I have a Tila that I use all the time but it's inconvenient to drag it
>>out for every little thing. I will now us the Tila mostly for freezer
>>items and use the Reynold's for refrigerator stuff that I get into
>>frequently like cheese etc...
>>

> I keep my Tilia on the counter and use it for something almost every
> day. It is like most appliances, if it is available, it will get
> used. If you have to drag it out and set it up you will rarely use
> it.
> --
> Susan N.

I, too, use mine most every day; sometimes when 'really' cooking, many times
a day. It is left out. I have an extension-type cord so as to turn it on
more conveniently, rather than plugging it into the wall each time (that
drove me up-the-wall, since I use it frequently.)

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 10 Dec 2007 10:19:47a, Nancy2 meant to say...

Thanks for seconding the idea!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Mon, 12/10/2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 18hrs 15mins 55secs
If it weren't for lawyers, I think we
could have invented a universal
symbolic representation of reality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:

>> I have a Tila that I use all the time but it's inconvenient to drag it
>> out for every little thing. I will now us the Tila mostly for freezer
>> items and use the Reynold's for refrigerator stuff that I get into
>> frequently like cheese etc...
>>

> I keep my Tilia on the counter and use it for something almost every
> day. It is like most appliances, if it is available, it will get
> used. If you have to drag it out and set it up you will rarely use
> it.

My Tilia sits atop the microwave, which sits on the counter. Those few
inches of space were previously used for storing cutting boards flat but
this is a much better use and it is quick and easy to use frequently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 9:19 am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Dec 8, 8:44 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
> > There's a $2.50 coupon in the newspaper supplement, in many
> > Sunday papers.

> > nancy

> I love it! It's only $10, and will fit anywhere in a cupboard or
> drawer - well worth the price. It even comes with batteries, ready to
> use.
>
> N.

can the baggies be re-sealed? for instance, you seal some cheese or
veggies, open it up take some out and re-seal it? I thought it looked
interesting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:16:39 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Dec 10, 9:19 am, Nancy2 > wrote:
>> On Dec 8, 8:44 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>
>> > There's a $2.50 coupon in the newspaper supplement, in many
>> > Sunday papers.

>> > nancy

>> I love it! It's only $10, and will fit anywhere in a cupboard or
>> drawer - well worth the price. It even comes with batteries, ready to
>> use.
>>
>> N.

>can the baggies be re-sealed? for instance, you seal some cheese or
>veggies, open it up take some out and re-seal it? I thought it looked
>interesting.

Yes. I re-opened 4 bags when I made dinner tonight and re-sealed them
just fine.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, koko wrote:

> I just bought one today and I really like it. I used it for putting up
> some herbs and veggies. I found it very easy to use.

> before
> http://i13.tinypic.com/6p5j054.jpg
>
> after
> http://i4.tinypic.com/6u82a8n.jpg
>
> koko
> ---
> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 11/15
>
> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> George Bernard Shaw

It holds the vac ok?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 6:16 pm, " > wrote:
> On Dec 10, 9:19 am, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > On Dec 8, 8:44 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> > > There's a $2.50 coupon in the newspaper supplement, in many
> > > Sunday papers.

> > > nancy

> > I love it! It's only $10, and will fit anywhere in a cupboard or
> > drawer - well worth the price. It even comes with batteries, ready to
> > use.

> > N.

> can the baggies be re-sealed? for instance, you seal some cheese or
> veggies, open it up take some out and re-seal it? I thought it looked
> interesting.

I answered once; don't know what happened to it. Anyway, yes, you can
use them over and over until they wear out, I guess. And unlike the
Tilia, you don't have to cut off part of it each time. The Handi-Vac
bags seal like Ziplocs, but are absolutely air-tight.

My latest use: sealing spackling compound, plumbers' putty and wood
filler - those little things that cost money that you use only once in
a while and are always dried up when you want to use them again.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> On Dec 10, 6:16 pm, " > wrote:

>> > I love it! It's only $10, and will fit anywhere in a cupboard or
>> > drawer - well worth the price. It even comes with batteries, ready to
>> > use.

>> > N.

>> can the baggies be re-sealed? for instance, you seal some cheese or
>> veggies, open it up take some out and re-seal it? I thought it looked
>> interesting.

> I answered once; don't know what happened to it. Anyway, yes, you can
> use them over and over until they wear out, I guess. And unlike the
> Tilia, you don't have to cut off part of it each time. The Handi-Vac
> bags seal like Ziplocs, but are absolutely air-tight.
>
> My latest use: sealing spackling compound, plumbers' putty and wood
> filler - those little things that cost money that you use only once in
> a while and are always dried up when you want to use them again.
>
> N.

I want to get one and loving spousal unit asked 'why do you need another
piece of crap for?' I can tell him it will do that and he'll go buy four or
five for when the first one wears out!!!.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:30:48 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, koko wrote:
>
>> I just bought one today and I really like it. I used it for putting up
>> some herbs and veggies. I found it very easy to use.

>> before
>> http://i13.tinypic.com/6p5j054.jpg
>>
>> after
>> http://i4.tinypic.com/6u82a8n.jpg
>>
>> koko
>> ---
>> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
>> updated 11/15
>>
>> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
>> George Bernard Shaw

>It holds the vac ok?

Yep

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, koko wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:16:39 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:

> >can the baggies be re-sealed? for instance, you seal some cheese or
> >veggies, open it up take some out and re-seal it? I thought it looked
> >interesting.

> Yes. I re-opened 4 bags when I made dinner tonight and re-sealed them
> just fine.
>
> koko

Koko, are my emails getting through to you? I've sent two without a
response.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, koko wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:30:48 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >, koko wrote:
> >
> >> I just bought one today and I really like it. I used it for putting up
> >> some herbs and veggies. I found it very easy to use.

> >> before
> >> http://i13.tinypic.com/6p5j054.jpg
> >>
> >> after
> >> http://i4.tinypic.com/6u82a8n.jpg

> >It holds the vac ok?

> Yep
>
> koko

Gadget Girl bought one yesterday. I'm impressed so far.
I sealed a stollen in it and this morning I noticed the vac seal was
broken -- mice, I guess. HWSRN had a sheepish grin and said he was
reluctant to tie into it because I would know he'd been there by virtue
of the broken vac seal. :-)

I think I'll get one for Chris and Beck.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:21:54 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, koko wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:30:48 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>> >It holds the vac ok?

>> Yep
>>
>> koko

>Gadget Girl bought one yesterday. I'm impressed so far.

Me too.

>I sealed a stollen in it and this morning I noticed the vac seal was
>broken -- mice, I guess. HWSRN had a sheepish grin and said he was
>reluctant to tie into it because I would know he'd been there by virtue
>of the broken vac seal. :-)

That's a good way to discourage the meases, they leave evidence. ;-)

>I think I'll get one for Chris and Beck.

Good idea.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 23:08:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, koko wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:16:39 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >can the baggies be re-sealed? for instance, you seal some cheese or
>> >veggies, open it up take some out and re-seal it? I thought it looked
>> >interesting.

>> Yes. I re-opened 4 bags when I made dinner tonight and re-sealed them
>> just fine.
>>
>> koko

>Koko, are my emails getting through to you? I've sent two without a
>response.

Yes, I just replied to the second one. Sounds good.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Has anyone had a bag that wouldn't seal? I was trying to seal a large bag
and it wouldn't do anything. I finally gave up. The bag was new, right out
of the box and not damaged as far as I could tell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Phyllis Stone" > wrote:

> Has anyone had a bag that wouldn't seal? I was trying to seal a large bag
> and it wouldn't do anything. I finally gave up. The bag was new, right out
> of the box and not damaged as far as I could tell.

I've used only the gallon size and only one of them. No problem with it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:55:32 -0600, "Phyllis Stone" >
wrote:

>Has anyone had a bag that wouldn't seal? I was trying to seal a large bag
>and it wouldn't do anything. I finally gave up. The bag was new, right out
>of the box and not damaged as far as I could tell.

I've used both the quart and gallon sized bags and have had no
problem. It might be a defective bag.
I have to remind myself to keep the appliance horizontal, I have a
tendency to lift the handle a little which doesn't work.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<koko> wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:55:32 -0600, "Phyllis Stone" >
> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone had a bag that wouldn't seal? I was trying to seal a large bag
>>and it wouldn't do anything. I finally gave up. The bag was new, right out
>>of the box and not damaged as far as I could tell.
>>

> I've used both the quart and gallon sized bags and have had no
> problem. It might be a defective bag.
> I have to remind myself to keep the appliance horizontal, I have a
> tendency to lift the handle a little which doesn't work.
>
> koko
> ---
> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 11/15
>
> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> George Bernard Shaw

I got it out of the freezer and tried again, making double sure it was
horizontal and it still won't seal. It is just a smoked turkey wing for
cooking with greens but now it has become a challenge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:10:27 GMT, "Phyllis Stone" >
wrote:

><koko> wrote in message ...
>> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:55:32 -0600, "Phyllis Stone" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone had a bag that wouldn't seal? I was trying to seal a large bag
>>>and it wouldn't do anything. I finally gave up. The bag was new, right out
>>>of the box and not damaged as far as I could tell.
>>>

>> I've used both the quart and gallon sized bags and have had no
>> problem. It might be a defective bag.
>> I have to remind myself to keep the appliance horizontal, I have a
>> tendency to lift the handle a little which doesn't work.
>>
>> koko
>> ---
>> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
>> updated 11/15
>>
>> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
>> George Bernard Shaw

>I got it out of the freezer and tried again, making double sure it was
>horizontal and it still won't seal. It is just a smoked turkey wing for
>cooking with greens but now it has become a challenge.

That I can understand. The value of what's being sealed is not as
valuable as conquering the problem.
One more observation. If it's not sealing, try twisting your wrist a
fuzz. I have found that sometimes just a slight movement of the wrist
to the right (I'm right handed) makes a difference.

koko
---