Old 21-12-2007, 07:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitutiion for orange zest - clementines or tangerines zest

Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange zest?

Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Old 21-12-2007, 08:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Dee.Dee" wrote:

Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange zest?

Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?

I've substituted tangerine zest and it worked fine.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Old 21-12-2007, 10:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee said...

Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange

zest?

Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Dee Dee,

I always wonder about using fruit zest. If it's not organic, it's probably
the most pesticided part of the fruit you could add to a dish. Sure it adds
an interesting visual but wouldn't some squeezed juice make more sense?

Andy
Who doesn't eat apple or cucumber peals.

--
All Posts Blocked From: @yahoo|@gmail|@hotmail
Old 21-12-2007, 10:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy q wrote:
Dee.Dee said...

Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange

zest?
Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Dee Dee,

I always wonder about using fruit zest. If it's not organic, it's probably
the most pesticided part of the fruit you could add to a dish. Sure it adds
an interesting visual but wouldn't some squeezed juice make more sense?

Nope. Citrus zest is far from 'an interesting visual'; certain dishes
just don't taste the same without it - even if you are also supposed to
add the juice. IMHO, It adds another dimension to the flavor.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Old 21-12-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

q wrote in message ...
Dee.Dee said...

Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange

zest?

Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Dee Dee,

I always wonder about using fruit zest. If it's not organic, it's probably
the most pesticided part of the fruit you could add to a dish. Sure it
adds
an interesting visual but wouldn't some squeezed juice make more sense?

Andy
Who doesn't eat apple or cucumber peals.

Nobody eats the peals from those fruits. Why? Because they have no peal.

Old 21-12-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote in message
Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange zest?

Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Check the source of whatever you use. The clementines I've bought are from
South Africa, and they have a very noticeable white deposit on them. It is
NOT wax. It's something to keep them from spoiling in shipment. Until
demonstrated one way or the other, I will assume that the skin absorbs
whatever it is. I wouldn't make zest from them. If I couldn't get domestic
oranges (see note below), and clementines were the only citrus available to
me at the moment, I would postpone the recipe which required the zest.

Disclaimer: I am not claiming that domestic oranges are 100% free of
chemicals on the surface.

Old 21-12-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" wrote in message
"Dee.Dee" wrote:

Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange
zest?

Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?

I've substituted tangerine zest and it worked fine.

Miche

Thanks. I was wondering about either, but alas, I buy mostly clementines.
Those tangerines! who can peel those thin skins, or seed them -- they are
not worth the trouble of getting out the reamer even. Juice flying
everywhere! Although good.

Dee Dee

Old 21-12-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" wrote in message

q wrote in message ...
Dee.Dee said...

Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange

zest?

Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?

Thanks.
Dee Dee

I use Boyajian oils, which are pressed from the skin of the fruit and have
a very true taste. Tangerine has a somewhat different flavor than orange,
although both obviously citrussy. Depending on the application, the
substitution could be fine.

I do have oils, but I feel that an oil citrus taste would permeate
throughout the dish, versus giving the little delight of the zest when one
bit down on it.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate your answer.
Dee Dee

Old 21-12-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 8:48�am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Dee.Dee" wrote in message

[...]

Pesticides are absorbed throught the leaves, not the fruit. Nothing
is absorbed through any fruit/vegetable skin... anything on the skin
can easily be washed off. And the wax used is to keep stuff IN, not
out, and the waxes used (such as carnauba) is a natural plant product,
perfectly safe to eat. Beeswax is also safe to eat. Many candies/
confections are coated with wax yet you still eat chocolate.

Old 21-12-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

q wrote in message ...
Dee.Dee said...

Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?

I used clementine zest in my cranberry orange bread. It tasted great
but I thought the flavor was a little stronger than when I use regular
oranges.

marcella

Old 21-12-2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote in message

[...]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

This wasn't wax, as I explained very clearly. But, you needed to say
something. Anything. So, you are pretending I said the substance was wax. It
was not wax. It was most likely an antifungal agent applied DURING THE
PACKING PROCESS, to retard the growth of anything nasty during shipment.

Old 21-12-2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:51:46 -0500, "Dee.Dee"
wrote:

"Miche" wrote in message
"Dee.Dee" wrote:

Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange
zest?

Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?

I've substituted tangerine zest and it worked fine.

Miche

Thanks. I was wondering about either, but alas, I buy mostly clementines.
Those tangerines! who can peel those thin skins, or seed them -- they are
not worth the trouble of getting out the reamer even. Juice flying
everywhere! Although good.

You must be rough on your citrus!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Lemon Zest -- how-to? itsjoannotjoann General Cooking 0 26-05-2010 06:41 AM
Orange zest Mike N. Preserving 4 22-08-2008 04:09 PM
Golden Roasted Turkey Breast with Orange Zest, Spinach [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 05-01-2007 02:04 AM
Orange zest in jam? Joyce Preserving 2 19-07-2005 10:30 AM
minced zest of 1 orange? tenplay General Cooking 15 02-05-2004 01:11 AM