Posted to rec.food.cooking
ChattyCathy ChattyCathy is offline

Default Substitutiion for orange zest - clementines or tangerines zest

Andy <q> wrote:
> Dee.Dee said...
>
>> Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
>> totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange

> zest?
>> Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Dee Dee

> Dee Dee,
>
> I always wonder about using fruit zest. If it's not organic, it's probably
> the most pesticided part of the fruit you could add to a dish. Sure it adds
> an interesting visual but wouldn't some squeezed juice make more sense?

Nope. Citrus zest is far from 'an interesting visual'; certain dishes
just don't taste the same without it - even if you are also supposed to
add the juice. IMHO, It adds another dimension to the flavor.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible