Old 17-12-2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ideas For Dressing Up Frozen Peas?

John Kane wrote:

On Dec 15, 11:46 pm, Teresa wrote:

My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
bit? Thanks!

White sauce, serve over buttered toast. B-in-L's favourite quick
lunch

Or peas, pasta, olive oil, white vinegar, salt and pepper.

Steve

Old 17-12-2007, 09:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Tamzen Cannoy wrote:

Thaw, drain. Mix in homemade buttermilk dressing, a few sliced green
onions and a handful of chopped cashews.

diced onion, dice a little bacon or pancetta and fry them together and
then toss in peas to cook at end.

I'll vouch for this one! Also adding some cream to the cooked onions/ham
(or pancetta) before adding thawed frozen peas. It was a wonderful dish
this past Thanksgiving.
Old 23-12-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
Teresa wrote

My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
bit? Thanks!

Sautee' some garlic in olive oil, add the peas and a few canned &
diced tomatoes, about 2 spoons of tomato for one peas can. Salt and
let go over low fire for 10 minutes, add groud white pepper and serve.

I like to add either a can of carrots, or a small can of sliced mushrooms

Old 23-12-2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
bit?

I googled on "Indian recipe peas" and liked the looks of these possibilites:

http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serv...s/srcpa3.tdf?0
http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serv.../srcpv15.tdf?0
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/indian-ve...n-curried.html

Peas are my least favorite of the legumes. I prefer fresh green beans,
black beans, chick peas, just about any bean over peas. For that
reason, I like them dressed up quite a bit, and the heavy spices found
in Indian cooking do that for me.

--Lia