~patches~

Default Pea Soup made with frozen peas

Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago.
I appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I
came across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/Fren...ianPeaSoup.htm
Dee Randall

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago. I
> appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I came
> across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
> http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/Fren...ianPeaSoup.htm

I didn't ask for this recipe, but I've made one similar. This looks even
better. Thanks. I do like lettuce in pea soup, but I forget now what type
I used. I guess it doesn't matter. Perhaps romaine.
I have a big pack of frozen green peas for peas paneer, but this is another
use. Thank you.
Dee Dee

~patches~

Dee Randall wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
>
>>Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago. I
>>appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I came
>>across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
>>http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/Fren...ianPeaSoup.htm

> I didn't ask for this recipe, but I've made one similar. This looks even
> better. Thanks. I do like lettuce in pea soup, but I forget now what type
> I used. I guess it doesn't matter. Perhaps romaine.
> I have a big pack of frozen green peas for peas paneer, but this is another
> use. Thank you.
> Dee Dee

I would almost be tempted to use swiss chard or spinach or at least a
rich, dark lettuce. I don't think iceburg lettuce would cut it.
Dee Randall

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> "~patches~" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago. I
>>>appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I came
>>>across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
>>>http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/Fren...ianPeaSoup.htm

>> I didn't ask for this recipe, but I've made one similar. This looks even
>> better. Thanks. I do like lettuce in pea soup, but I forget now what
>> type I used. I guess it doesn't matter. Perhaps romaine.
>> I have a big pack of frozen green peas for peas paneer, but this is
>> another use. Thank you.
>> Dee Dee

> I would almost be tempted to use swiss chard or spinach or at least a
> rich, dark lettuce. I don't think iceburg lettuce would cut it.

I have tried iceburg -- years ago when I still bought that iceburg-- you're
right, it doesn't work that well.
Dee Dee

aem

Dee Randall wrote:

> I have tried iceburg -- years ago when I still bought that iceburg-- you're
> right, it doesn't work that well.

Maybe not for pea soup, I haven't tried that. But in one of her
earlier books Julia Child gives a recipe for fresh peas. It's simply
peas simmered in chicken stock with a bunch of iceberg lettuce. By the
time the peas are done the lettuce has pretty much 'melted away' and
disappeared, leaving behind the subtlest "extra" flavor. Almost enough
to warrant shelling the peas. -aem

cathyxyz

~patches~ wrote:
> Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago. I
> appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I came
> across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
> http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/Fren...ianPeaSoup.htm

That would have been me.... thanks patches, will give it a try - and
yes, I still have the peas... we are going into summer here now, so they
were stashed at the back of the freezer

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

The idea is to die young - as late as possible
aem

Dee Randall wrote:

> I have tried iceburg -- years ago when I still bought that iceburg-- you're
> right, it doesn't work that well.

Maybe not for pea soup, I don't know. But Julia Child gives a recipe
in one of her earlier books for fresh peas. It's simply fresh shelled
peas, a bunch of torn up iceberg lettuce, and chicken stock. Simmer
till done and finish with butter, salt and pepper. By then the lettuce
has 'melted away' leaving just a vestige of subtle flavor. Almost
worth the effort of shelling those peas. -aem

Dee Randall

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>> I have tried iceburg -- years ago when I still bought that iceburg--
>> you're
>> right, it doesn't work that well.

> Maybe not for pea soup, I don't know. But Julia Child gives a recipe
> in one of her earlier books for fresh peas. It's simply fresh shelled
> peas, a bunch of torn up iceberg lettuce, and chicken stock. Simmer
> till done and finish with butter, salt and pepper. By then the lettuce
> has 'melted away' leaving just a vestige of subtle flavor. Almost
> worth the effort of shelling those peas. -aem

Yes, that's the recipe I used. One of the reasons I think it didn't work
well for me is that I tried using iceburg lettuce in other similar things as
well, and it didn't taste as good. I think I will still use a stronger
lettuce, but of course, that will not be as refined a taste as Julia's.
Thanks for recalling that for me.
Dee Dee

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> Someone was asking about making pea soup using frozen peas awhile ago.
> I appologize but I've forgotten who - old timers you know. Anyway, I
> came across this recipe that might help if you still have the peas.
> http://www.spaindex.com/CUISINE/Fren...ianPeaSoup.htm

I'm partial to this one:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Slovak Pea and Potato Soup

Recipe By : posted yet again to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller,
10-13-05
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Slovensky Recepty Soups

2 quarts water
2 cups diced potatoes
1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
1 teaspoon salt
10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup minced onion
2 tablespoons flour

Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and brown
lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"); stir into soup to thicken
slightly. Cook until peas are done.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

_____
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roberta

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say - I made this the
other day and it was really yummy!

I do have to admit that I ended up adding some of that chicken boullion
powder because it didn't have enough "flavor" for me. But with the
addition of that - it was fantastic....I will be making it again
although this time I will probably just start with chicken broth in
place of the water.
Even my super-picky 5 year old ate some

Roberta (in VA)