Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2009-07-28) NS-RFC: Frozen peas

http://www.recfoodcooking.com
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Frozen peas are usually very good quality, reasonably priced, handy to have
not just for a stand alone veggie but to add to other foods. We like them
with risotto, soups, stews, and thawed for salads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 28, 12:48*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message

> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> Frozen peas are usually very good quality, reasonably priced, handy to have
> not just for a stand alone veggie but to add to other foods. *We like them
> with *risotto, soups, stews, and thawed for salads.

They are really good for owie places - bumps and bruises...and you
don't even have to take them out of the bag!!

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:39:24 +0200:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

At the moment, I see as many people nuke frozen peas as boli them. I've
been known to nuke them but my usual technique is to dump the frozen
peas into boiling water and strain them when most rise to the top.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:39:24 +0200:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> At the moment, I see as many people nuke frozen peas as boli them.
> I've been known to nuke them but my usual technique is to dump the
> frozen peas into boiling water and strain them when most rise to the
> top.

I feel like boiling peas is overkill. They're so delicate. Just my
opinion, obviously. At most I'd heat them in a small pot with just
enough water to steam them.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:28:24 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>> ChattyCathy wrote on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:39:24 +0200:
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> At the moment, I see as many people nuke frozen peas as boli them.
>> I've been known to nuke them but my usual technique is to dump the
>> frozen peas into boiling water and strain them when most rise to the
>> top.

>I feel like boiling peas is overkill. They're so delicate. Just my
>opinion, obviously. At most I'd heat them in a small pot with just
>enough water to steam them.

James isn't boiling them. He puts them into the hot tub just long
enough to defrost and heat up.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

I buy them sometimes and usually nuke them.
I mostly buy the "no salt added" canned peas.
Low sodium canned veggies are not nearly as mushy as the regular ones
and really do compare nicely to fresh frozen.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> On Jul 28, 12:48*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message

> > >http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> > > --
> > > Cheers
> > > Chatty Cathy

> > Frozen peas are usually very good quality, reasonably priced, handy to have
> > not just for a stand alone veggie but to add to other foods. *We like them
> > with *risotto, soups, stews, and thawed for salads.

> They are really good for owie places - bumps and bruises...and you
> don't even have to take them out of the bag!!
>
> N.

I actually have an ice bag for that... <g>
Airrosti treatments pretty much require keeping an ice bag around.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> On the second question, MCINL.

<g> That's what it's there for.

> Half the time, I don't cook them at
> all,
> just thaw them under running water and add them to salads. The other
> half of the time, I either add them frozen to something that's going
> to be heated (casserole, curry, soup, etc.) or cook them in a tiny bit
> of water on the stove, then add butter/salt/pepper.

If we're having them as a 'stand alone' veggie I always nuke 'em. (I
also add butter). On the odd occasion e.g. when using them in a curry,
I'll throw them in frozen.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> On the second question, MCINL.

> <g> That's what it's there for.
>
>> Half the time, I don't cook them at
>> all,
>> just thaw them under running water and add them to salads. The other
>> half of the time, I either add them frozen to something that's going
>> to be heated (casserole, curry, soup, etc.) or cook them in a tiny bit
>> of water on the stove, then add butter/salt/pepper.
>>

> If we're having them as a 'stand alone' veggie I always nuke 'em. (I
> also add butter). On the odd occasion e.g. when using them in a curry,
> I'll throw them in frozen.

I enjoy them that way also.

To Pea Power!!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:

>> If we're having them as a 'stand alone' veggie I always nuke 'em. (I
>> also add butter). On the odd occasion e.g. when using them in a
>> curry, I'll throw them in frozen.

> I enjoy them that way also.
>
> To Pea Power!!

Frozen peas are one of the better frozen food offerings, IMHO. But the
only time I really like peas raw is when they are straight from the
garden. We grew some in our veggie garden last summer and they were
delish - I scarfed a bunch of them right out of the pod. Going to plant
some more this year too.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 28 Jul 2009 10:34:53p, ChattyCathy told us...

> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> If we're having them as a 'stand alone' veggie I always nuke 'em. (I
>>> also add butter). On the odd occasion e.g. when using them in a
>>> curry, I'll throw them in frozen.

>> I enjoy them that way also.
>>
>> To Pea Power!!

> Frozen peas are one of the better frozen food offerings, IMHO. But the
> only time I really like peas raw is when they are straight from the
> garden. We grew some in our veggie garden last summer and they were
> delish - I scarfed a bunch of them right out of the pod. Going to plant
> some more this year too.

They're wonderful straight out of the garden, but can be pretty dismal when
bought in a store's produce section. Like corn, the sugar quickly turns to
starch. Frozen peas are flash frozen as soon as they can be picked and
shelled, so retain most of their natural sweetness.

If I'm using frozen peas in a salad, I just cover them with cold water long
enough to thaw them. They don't need cooking.

--
Wayne Boatwright
In Mexico we have a word for sushi: bait. José Simons

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> If we're having them as a 'stand alone' veggie I always nuke 'em. (I
>>> also add butter). On the odd occasion e.g. when using them in a
>>> curry, I'll throw them in frozen.

>> I enjoy them that way also.
>>
>> To Pea Power!!

> Frozen peas are one of the better frozen food offerings, IMHO. But the
> only time I really like peas raw is when they are straight from the
> garden. We grew some in our veggie garden last summer and they were
> delish - I scarfed a bunch of them right out of the pod. Going to plant
> some more this year too.

I don't know if the fact that I love them is because few people do, but
peas are one of my favorite veggies. Butter'd or as part of a stew, or
pasty, they certainly have value.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Bob Muncie wrote:

> To Pea Power!!

No, it's "Power to the Pea-ple."

--Lin (power to the pea-ple, right on)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> To Pea Power!!

> No, it's "Power to the Pea-ple."
>
> --Lin (power to the pea-ple, right on)

Lin - Major props to you for making me laugh so hard :-)

You are/were exactly what I needed this moment.

Bug me when you can use that in reciprocation in case I miss it.

You are special.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Hi Bob, you wrote:

> You are special.

Oh, I don't know about that ... ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gedqNpd_90g

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> Hi Bob, you wrote:
>
>> You are special.

> Oh, I don't know about that ... ;-)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gedqNpd_90g
>
> --Lin

I think you do, and I further will postulate that you are a sweetie.

I know, that is just my thoughts, but I think I am not wrong.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> They're wonderful straight out of the garden, but can be pretty dismal
> when bought in a store's produce section. Like corn, the sugar
> quickly turns to starch.

Quite so.

> Frozen peas are flash frozen as soon as they can be picked
> and shelled, so retain most of their natural sweetness.

We have TV ad showing here at the moment for frozen peas - where the
farmer picks the peas in the field (in broad sunshine) and then strides
over to a fence... and on the other side of said fence there is a
blizzard blowing... Then he says that they are "Flash frozen for
freshness". ;-)

Seems to work - they're the brand I usually buy <veg>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 28 Jul 2009 11:36:08p, ChattyCathy told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> They're wonderful straight out of the garden, but can be pretty dismal
>> when bought in a store's produce section. Like corn, the sugar
>> quickly turns to starch.

> Quite so.
>
>> Frozen peas are flash frozen as soon as they can be picked and
>> shelled, so retain most of their natural sweetness.

> We have TV ad showing here at the moment for frozen peas - where the
> farmer picks the peas in the field (in broad sunshine) and then strides
> over to a fence... and on the other side of said fence there is a
> blizzard blowing... Then he says that they are "Flash frozen for
> freshness". ;-)
>
> Seems to work - they're the brand I usually buy <veg>

Sounds like a great ad!

--
Wayne Boatwright
A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Frozen peas are one of the better frozen food offerings, IMHO.

They are almost a kitchen staple in our house. Frozen Brussels sprouts
are surprisingly good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in news:4a70567b$0$19669
:

> Frozen Brussels sprouts
> are surprisingly good.

Compared to fresh or other frozen veg?

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:04:34 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> Frozen peas are one of the better frozen food offerings, IMHO.

> They are almost a kitchen staple in our house. Frozen Brussels sprouts
> are surprisingly good.

Yes, they are. I've bought them myself.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Peas, peas, beautiful peas! Peas are my favorite vegetable
along with corn and lima beans. I always by frozen peas.
Fresh are rarely available and when they are you pay a lot
and get very little by the time you shell them. Canned peas
are, of course, disgusting!

If I had no other use for the microwave I would still
have one, if only to cook frozen peas. It is perfect.
No mess, not bother and they come out perfect every time.

I put them in a 1 qt. bowl, cover with plastic wrap and
heat 4 minutes on high. Then I remove them from the
microwave, stir them, add butter, recover, and microwave
another 3 minutes. They are perfectly done to my taste
everytime.

When I have a vegetable as a side dish I almost invariably
have peas. Corn I use more in soups, stews, and casseroles,
and on the cob. Limas I have more rarely because they don't
do well in the microwave so I have to cook them in a pot of
water on the stove and it's a PITA.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:44:26 -0400, Kate Connally wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Peas, peas, beautiful peas! Peas are my favorite vegetable
> along with corn and lima beans. I always by frozen peas.
> Fresh are rarely available and when they are you pay a lot
> and get very little by the time you shell them. Canned peas
> are, of course, disgusting!

Amen to that! I hate canned peas.

> If I had no other use for the microwave I would still
> have one, if only to cook frozen peas. It is perfect.
> No mess, not bother and they come out perfect every time.

Yep.

> I put them in a 1 qt. bowl, cover with plastic wrap and
> heat 4 minutes on high. Then I remove them from the
> microwave, stir them, add butter, recover, and microwave
> another 3 minutes. They are perfectly done to my taste
> everytime.

Do you fill up the whole bowl? <g> I usually do about 500g (approx 1lb) of
peas at a time and that takes about 4 minutes in my MW.

> When I have a vegetable as a side dish I almost invariably have peas.

We have them fairly often - DH likes them (even more than I do).

> Corn I use more in soups, stews, and casseroles, and on the cob. Limas
> I have more rarely because they don't do well in the microwave so I have
> to cook them in a pot of water on the stove and it's a PITA.

Have you tried peas and corn together? I like that combination too.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> On the second question, MCINL. Half the time, I don't cook them at
> all, just thaw them under running water and add them to salads. The
> other half of the time, I either add them frozen to something that's
> going to be heated (casserole, curry, soup, etc.) or cook them in a
> tiny bit of water on the stove, then add butter/salt/pepper.

I don't even thaw them for salads. They're so small that they absorb
heat from the other ingredients rapidly and completely thaw by the time
it's served.

Brian

--
Day 177 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> Dave Smith > wrote in news:4a70567b$0$19669
> :
>
>> Frozen Brussels sprouts
>> are surprisingly good.

> Compared to fresh or other frozen veg?

Both. They taste almost exactly like fresh B sprouts, unlike most other
frozen vegetables that tend to be quite different from their fresh
counterparts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> Peas, peas, beautiful peas! Peas are my favorite vegetable
> along with corn and lima beans. I always by frozen peas.
> Fresh are rarely available and when they are you pay a lot
> and get very little by the time you shell them. Canned peas
> are, of course, disgusting!

Fresh peas are only available for a short period in the summer. it costs
more for a quart of peas than it does for a large bag of frozen. After
15-20 minutes of shucking peas you end up with enough for two small
servings. I really like fresh peas, but I find it hard to spend so much
more and go to so much work for so little. However, I confess to
actually liking canned peas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel wrote on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:21:11 -0500:

>> Frozen Brussels sprouts
>> are surprisingly good.

> Compared to fresh or other frozen veg?

I must give frozen sprouts a try but I am not hopeful since I like them
cooked for a very short time: hot but still crisp. I'd sprinkle them
with marjoram and, if I wanted a sauce, use melted butter. My
grandfather used to say that Brussels Sprouts were always better after a
frost but I am doubtful about commercial freezing as a substitute

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:05:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Nancy2 > wrote:

>>> Frozen peas are usually very good quality, reasonably priced, handy to have
>>> not just for a stand alone veggie but to add to other foods. *We like them
>>> with *risotto, soups, stews, and thawed for salads.

>> They are really good for owie places - bumps and bruises...and you
>> don't even have to take them out of the bag!!
>>
>> N.

> I actually have an ice bag for that... <g>
> Airrosti treatments pretty much require keeping an ice bag around.

if a doctor hurt me every time i went, i would stop going.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:28:24 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> ChattyCathy wrote on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:39:24 +0200:
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> At the moment, I see as many people nuke frozen peas as boli them.
>> I've been known to nuke them but my usual technique is to dump the
>> frozen peas into boiling water and strain them when most rise to the
>> top.

> I feel like boiling peas is overkill. They're so delicate. Just my
> opinion, obviously. At most I'd heat them in a small pot with just
> enough water to steam them.
>
> nancy

i don't eat peas of any kind, but i guess i should try some fresh or a
good-quality frozen.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:28:24 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> At the moment, I see as many people nuke frozen peas as boli them.
>>> I've been known to nuke them but my usual technique is to dump the
>>> frozen peas into boiling water and strain them when most rise to the
>>> top.

>> I feel like boiling peas is overkill. They're so delicate. Just my
>> opinion, obviously. At most I'd heat them in a small pot with just
>> enough water to steam them.
>>
>> nancy

> i don't eat peas of any kind, but i guess i should try some fresh or a
> good-quality frozen.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I never realized how much I actually liked them until I had a
particularly good creamy chicken soup with them in it. I now eat them in
a ton of different things. I especially like them on my salads now.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:28:24 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I feel like boiling peas is overkill. They're so delicate. Just my
>> opinion, obviously. At most I'd heat them in a small pot with just
>> enough water to steam them.

> i don't eat peas of any kind, but i guess i should try some fresh or a
> good-quality frozen.

I love peas, the exception being canned. So many people hate peas,
it's hard for me to understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to
convert anyone, just saying.

Fresh peas really are great, but I don't see them except in spring,
so frozen it is. I have them often.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:05:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Nancy2 > wrote:

> >> They are really good for owie places - bumps and bruises...and you
> >> don't even have to take them out of the bag!!
> >>
> >> N.

> > I actually have an ice bag for that... <g>
> > Airrosti treatments pretty much require keeping an ice bag around.

> if a doctor hurt me every time i went, i would stop going.
>
> your pal,
> blake

The results are worth it. It makes long term chronic pain go away...
Permanently. I was limping around for 9 months after falling and
hurting my right leg in April of 2008 and was mis-diagnosed by the
Ortho' MD. A few (uncomfortable) treatments from Airrosti and the pain
is gone.

I can once more run and drive long distance again.

20 minutes of a little discomfort in their office vs. months of chronic
pain and disability?

Guess which I choose. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:05:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> > I actually have an ice bag for that... <g>
> > Airrosti treatments pretty much require keeping an ice bag around.

> if a doctor hurt me every time i went, i would stop going.

So having your feet cut off didn't hurt you? I have had a number of
surgeries, and there was always some pain involved. The initial
consultation didn't hurt, but the pain came later.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:05:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> > > I actually have an ice bag for that... <g>
> > > Airrosti treatments pretty much require keeping an ice bag around.

> > if a doctor hurt me every time i went, i would stop going.

> So having your feet cut off didn't hurt you? I have had a number of
> surgeries, and there was always some pain involved. The initial
> consultation didn't hurt, but the pain came later.

No pain, no gain...
That's just the way it works sometimes.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> On the second question, MCINL.

> <g> That's what it's there for.

I know. Were we not meant to expound on that on the newsgroup?

>> Half the time, I don't cook them at
>> all,
>> just thaw them under running water and add them to salads. The other
>> half of the time, I either add them frozen to something that's going
>> to be heated (casserole, curry, soup, etc.) or cook them in a tiny bit
>> of water on the stove, then add butter/salt/pepper.
>>

> If we're having them as a 'stand alone' veggie I always nuke 'em. (I
> also add butter). On the odd occasion e.g. when using them in a curry,
> I'll throw them in frozen.

I don't own a nuker, or that's probably what I'd do, too.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 28, 2:08*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *ChattyCathy *wrote *on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:39:24 +0200:
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> At the moment, I see as many people nuke frozen peas as boli them. I've
> been known to nuke them but my usual technique is to dump the frozen
> peas into boiling water and strain them when most rise to the top.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton

The square Corning Ware 1.5 qt. is perfect for frozen veggies that
some frozen into squares, which is not the case with peas, but they
seem to look nicer when boiled than MW'd.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>>> On the second question, MCINL.

>> <g> That's what it's there for.

> I know. Were we not meant to expound on that on the newsgroup?

Huh?

For the record - I am always interested in what people have to say about
the surveys here because I often miss some of the more 'obvious'
answers - and then I have a "Now, why didn't I think of that?"
moment...

>>> Half the time, I don't cook them at
>>> all,
>>> just thaw them under running water and add them to salads. The
>>> other half of the time, I either add them frozen to something that's
>>> going to be heated (casserole, curry, soup, etc.) or cook them in a
>>> tiny bit of water on the stove, then add butter/salt/pepper.
>>>

>> If we're having them as a 'stand alone' veggie I always nuke 'em. (I
>> also add butter). On the odd occasion e.g. when using them in a
>> curry, I'll throw them in frozen.

> I don't own a nuker, or that's probably what I'd do, too.

Oh, right. I think you've mentioned that before. I have to admit I'd
miss my MW if it suddenly died... Mine is a 'combi' MW - it's not just
a nuker - it has convection oven/grill options too. Frozen peas come
out really great on the nuker setting - and I even use it to roast a
small chicken using the convection/grill (broil?) settings sometimes.
First time I tried it for 'roasting' a chicken I was amazed; it browned
beautifully, didn't dry out - and the skin was crispy.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> I have to admit I'd miss my MW if it suddenly died... Mine is a 'combi'
> MW - it's not just a nuker - it has convection oven/grill options too.
> Frozen peas come out really great on the nuker setting - and I even use it
> to roast a small chicken using the convection/grill (broil?) settings
> sometimes. First time I tried it for 'roasting' a chicken I was amazed; it
> browned beautifully, didn't dry out - and the skin was crispy.

How do you think it stacks up against a cheap countertop convection oven
like a Flavor Wave?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> I have to admit I'd miss my MW if it suddenly died... Mine is a
>> 'combi' MW - it's not just a nuker - it has convection oven/grill
>> options too. Frozen peas come out really great on the nuker setting -
>> and I even use it to roast a small chicken using the convection/grill
>> (broil?) settings sometimes. First time I tried it for 'roasting' a
>> chicken I was amazed; it browned beautifully, didn't dry out - and
>> the skin was crispy.

> How do you think it stacks up against a cheap countertop convection
> oven like a Flavor Wave?

Had to google 'Flavor Wave' and - Oh gawd - it looks very similar to a
gizmo I bought off a friend a couple of years ago - just a different
brand name.

She paid about US$320.00 for the damn thing back then and never used it.
I would *never* have paid that much money for something like that, but
I knew she needed the money (long story), so I offered to buy it from
her (for the purchase price). She knows I enjoy cooking so she jumped
at my offer...

Heh. It just takes up space in my cupboard; I've never used it either.
I'd give it away/chuck it out - but when she comes to visit and
realizes I've dumped it, she might take offense. Sigh.

But then again, I dunno. It came with an instruction manual/recipe
book - maybe I should try it out <grin>.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy