Posted to rec.food.cooking,abg.mampf

Default Cooking maggots, worms and beetles???

You know, World War III is near and soon we won't be
able to buy food anymore. We'll have to eat maggots,
worms and beetles.

So I think its necessary to think about recipes now.

How would you cook maggots? How would you prepare
worms? How would you prepare beetles, cockroaches
and slugs???

Posted to rec.food.cooking,abg.mampf

"Victor Smootbank" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> You know, World War III is near and soon we won't be
> able to buy food anymore. We'll have to eat maggots,
> worms and beetles.
>
> So I think its necessary to think about recipes now.
>
> How would you cook maggots?

I think maggots would be lovely sauteed in garlic butter
and served with a light cream sauce over white and wild
rice with snow peas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,abg.mampf

Victor Smootbank > wrote in
oups.com:

> You know, World War III is near and soon we won't be
> able to buy food anymore. We'll have to eat maggots,
> worms and beetles.

speak for yourself. i'm going to be eating deer, turkey, some
beef, eggs, drinking milk...

> So I think its necessary to think about recipes now.
> How would you cook maggots? How would you prepare
> worms? How would you prepare beetles, cockroaches
> and slugs???

first, you tell me how you're going to catch them. and how
you're going to tell the poisonous beetles from the edible
ones. if you can waste the time to catch enough grubs to
bother, why wouldn't you just snare a rabbit instead?
lee

--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Posted to rec.food.cooking

_.-In rec.food.cooking, Victor Smootbank wrote the following -._
> How would you cook maggots? How would you prepare
> worms? How would you prepare beetles, cockroaches
> and slugs???

First, head over to Thailand. You will find lots of tasty recipies
for bugs there. After that it will be like cooking any other thing
you have experiance with. You will know what works and what doesn't.

Second, STFW: http://www.eatbug.com/
http://www.google.com/search?q=edible+insects

--
=()==()==()==()==()- http://fauxascii.com
\ \ \ \ \ \ ASCII artist
Posted to rec.food.cooking,abg.mampf

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "Victor Smootbank" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > You know, World War III is near and soon we won't be
> > able to buy food anymore. We'll have to eat maggots,
> > worms and beetles.
> >
> > So I think its necessary to think about recipes now.
> >
> > How would you cook maggots?

> I think maggots would be lovely sauteed in garlic butter
> and served with a light cream sauce over white and wild
> rice with snow peas.

The maggots _are_ the wild rice. ;-)

They are supposed to be especially good saute'd in oil until they pop
like popcorn.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking,abg.mampf

In article >,
enigma > wrote:

> Victor Smootbank > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
> > You know, World War III is near and soon we won't be
> > able to buy food anymore. We'll have to eat maggots,
> > worms and beetles.

> speak for yourself. i'm going to be eating deer, turkey, some
> beef, eggs, drinking milk...

And there are plenty of wild weeds. Prickly pear cactus apples are good
as are the young pads from the plant itself. Wild grains, thistles,
wildflowers, acorns (properly processed), nutgrass roots, dandilion
greens, purslane, etc.

> > So I think its necessary to think about recipes now.
> > How would you cook maggots? How would you prepare
> > worms? How would you prepare beetles, cockroaches
> > and slugs???

> first, you tell me how you're going to catch them. and how
> you're going to tell the poisonous beetles from the edible
> ones. if you can waste the time to catch enough grubs to
> bother, why wouldn't you just snare a rabbit instead?
> lee

Grasshoppers, aka "brush shrimp".

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking,abg.mampf

On Sep 30, 7:46 pm, enigma > wrote:
> Victor Smootbank > wrote groups.com:
>
> > You know, World War III is near and soon we won't be
> > able to buy food anymore. We'll have to eat maggots,
> > worms and beetles.

> speak for yourself. i'm going to be eating deer, turkey, some
> beef, eggs, drinking milk...
>
> > So I think its necessary to think about recipes now.
> > How would you cook maggots? How would you prepare
> > worms? How would you prepare beetles, cockroaches
> > and slugs???

> first, you tell me how you're going to catch them. and how
> you're going to tell the poisonous beetles from the edible
> ones. if you can waste the time to catch enough grubs to
> bother, why wouldn't you just snare a rabbit instead?

I'd like to see someone trying to milk a rabbit.

> lee
>
> --
> Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if there be
> one, he must more approve the homage of reason than that of blindfolded
> fear. - Thomas Jefferson

But if we're both wrong, we could spend eternity eating maggots as
prepared by Sandra Lee.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> They are supposed to be especially good saute'd in oil until they pop
> like popcorn.

When saute'd should you use yellow or white onion?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
>> first, you tell me how you're going to catch them. and how
>> you're going to tell the poisonous beetles from the edible
>> ones. if you can waste the time to catch enough grubs to
>> bother, why wouldn't you just snare a rabbit instead?
>> lee

> Grasshoppers, aka "brush shrimp".

I can give you a good recipe for squirrel. Much more appetising than
grubs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > They are supposed to be especially good saute'd in oil until they pop
> > like popcorn.

> When saute'd should you use yellow or white onion?

White.

It's a South American dish.

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> I can give you a good recipe for squirrel. Much more appetising than
> grubs

I've got a couple. <g> Tree Rat is very tasty.
So is sky rat (aka pigeon).

The last couple of squirrels I got were just cooked simply. They were
remarkably tender and tasty, probably because they are grain fed. They
eat a lot of the grain I put out for my sky rats (that I've not
harvested in years due to lack of nesting spots until I build more).

I just wet them down to prevent hair shedding on the meat, remove the
tail, paws and head, then skin, gut and rinse them well.

Cut into quarters with poultry shears then season with a little lemon
pepper and fry them on medium heat in the CI skillet with a little olive
oil.

Mom used to make a stew with them using the usual stew ingredients. I
remember that it was quite good.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I've got a couple. <g> Tree Rat is very tasty.
> So is sky rat (aka pigeon).
>
> The last couple of squirrels I got were just cooked simply. They were
> remarkably tender and tasty, probably because they are grain fed. They
> eat a lot of the grain I put out for my sky rats (that I've not
> harvested in years due to lack of nesting spots until I build more).
>
> I just wet them down to prevent hair shedding on the meat, remove the
> tail, paws and head, then skin, gut and rinse them well.
>
> Cut into quarters with poultry shears then season with a little lemon
> pepper and fry them on medium heat in the CI skillet with a little olive
> oil.
>
> Mom used to make a stew with them using the usual stew ingredients. I
> remember that it was quite good.

I think I'm about to get sick again!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> I've got a couple. <g> Tree Rat is very tasty.
>> So is sky rat (aka pigeon).
>>
>> The last couple of squirrels I got were just cooked simply. They were
>> remarkably tender and tasty, probably because they are grain fed.
>> They eat a lot of the grain I put out for my sky rats (that I've not
>> harvested in years due to lack of nesting spots until I build more).
>>
>> I just wet them down to prevent hair shedding on the meat, remove the
>> tail, paws and head, then skin, gut and rinse them well.
>>
>> Cut into quarters with poultry shears then season with a little lemon
>> pepper and fry them on medium heat in the CI skillet with a little
>> olive oil.
>>
>> Mom used to make a stew with them using the usual stew ingredients. I
>> remember that it was quite good.

> I think I'm about to get sick again!

?????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> Scott wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:
> >
> >> I've got a couple. <g> Tree Rat is very tasty.
> >> So is sky rat (aka pigeon).
> >>
> >> The last couple of squirrels I got were just cooked simply. They were
> >> remarkably tender and tasty, probably because they are grain fed.
> >> They eat a lot of the grain I put out for my sky rats (that I've not
> >> harvested in years due to lack of nesting spots until I build more).
> >>
> >> I just wet them down to prevent hair shedding on the meat, remove the
> >> tail, paws and head, then skin, gut and rinse them well.
> >>
> >> Cut into quarters with poultry shears then season with a little lemon
> >> pepper and fry them on medium heat in the CI skillet with a little
> >> olive oil.
> >>
> >> Mom used to make a stew with them using the usual stew ingredients. I
> >> remember that it was quite good.

> > I think I'm about to get sick again!

> ?????

The idea of eating squirrel bothers some people. ;-)
It's a bit of a staple growing up in many southern states.
Squirrel is rather prolific.

So is pigeon.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:10:30 -0700, Victor Smootbank
> wrote:

>You know, World War III is near and soon we won't be
>able to buy food anymore. We'll have to eat maggots,
>worms and beetles.
>
>So I think its necessary to think about recipes now.
>
>How would you cook maggots? How would you prepare
>worms? How would you prepare beetles, cockroaches
>and slugs???

don't be a goofball. the current paradigm is that the islamofascists
are going to come over here and personally, individually, slit our
throats. getting meat won't be a problem.

get with the program!

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Scott wrote:

>>> I think I'm about to get sick again!

>> ?????

> The idea of eating squirrel bothers some people. ;-)
> It's a bit of a staple growing up in many southern states.
> Squirrel is rather prolific.
>
> So is pigeon.

Ahh ok

Posted to rec.food.cooking,abg.mampf

Bobo Bonobo® > wrote in
ps.com:

> On Sep 30, 7:46 pm, enigma > wrote:
>> first, you tell me how you're going to catch them. and
>> how
>> you're going to tell the poisonous beetles from the edible
>> ones. if you can waste the time to catch enough grubs to
>> bother, why wouldn't you just snare a rabbit instead?

> I'd like to see someone trying to milk a rabbit.

heh. easier than milking a maggot
but seriously, he's talking collecting beetles or grubs to
eat. that's far more time & energy consuming than setting
snares for rabbit or squirrels.
fly maggots aren't too hard to find in quantity, i suppose, &
they do have more fats than beetles.

>> Question with boldness even the existence of god; because
>> if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason
>> than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

> But if we're both wrong, we could spend eternity eating
> maggots as prepared by Sandra Lee.

aaaaaaaaaaaaah!
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
> >
> > The idea of eating squirrel bothers some people. ;-)
> > It's a bit of a staple growing up in many southern states.
> > Squirrel is rather prolific.

> Hey, this is OT, this treat is about cooking maggots!

Thread drift. <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking,abg.mampf

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:10:30 -0700, Victor Smootbank
> wrote:

>You know, World War III is near and soon we won't be
>able to buy food anymore. We'll have to eat maggots,
>worms and beetles.
>
>So I think its necessary to think about recipes now.
>
>How would you cook maggots? How would you prepare
>worms? How would you prepare beetles, cockroaches
>and slugs???

What on earth are you two nattering about now? This is the perfect
example of why groups should be moderated.

--
Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available.

ID: 47846596.