Phil

Default 1st time cherry wine has maggots!

Long time beer brewer 1st time wine maker.

So I picked some fresh cherries (10kg), mixed'em with sugar and
boiling water, let it cool, put a 1/4 teaspoon of sulfate in it, let
it sit 24 hours, then pitched some red wine yeast after rehydrating it
per what it said on the package.

Now 14 hours later I looked under the plastic lid I had sitting loosly
over the plastic bucket. Fermentation has started but I also saw a
bunch of dead white little worms (magots?) about 3 to 4mm long all
over the surface along with the whole cherries.

What should I do? Should I skim off the top layer of maggots and
cherries?

Why didn't I see these maggots while it was sitting with the sufate
stuff waiting for the yeast to be pitched? Were they always there
living in the cherries, but when I pitched the yeast, the ferment
started killing them off?

Please help me out guys and girls.

I'm pretty down. My very 1st attempt at wine and I get maggots? My
god I'm scarred to eat cherries now.
Greg Cook

On 7/5/04 9:48 AM, in article
, "Phil"
> wrote:

> Long time beer brewer 1st time wine maker.
>
> So I picked some fresh cherries (10kg), mixed'em with sugar and
> boiling water, let it cool, put a 1/4 teaspoon of sulfate in it, let
> it sit 24 hours, then pitched some red wine yeast after rehydrating it
> per what it said on the package.
>
> Now 14 hours later I looked under the plastic lid I had sitting loosly
> over the plastic bucket. Fermentation has started but I also saw a
> bunch of dead white little worms (magots?) about 3 to 4mm long all
> over the surface along with the whole cherries.
>
> What should I do? Should I skim off the top layer of maggots and
> cherries?
>
> Why didn't I see these maggots while it was sitting with the sufate
> stuff waiting for the yeast to be pitched? Were they always there
> living in the cherries, but when I pitched the yeast, the ferment
> started killing them off?
>
> Please help me out guys and girls.
>
> I'm pretty down. My very 1st attempt at wine and I get maggots? My
> god I'm scarred to eat cherries now.

Well, if it were me, I'd just scoop them out and let the wine continue. It
certainly isn't any kind of health risk that I know of. Actually, If you
leave them in, they may provide nutrients for the yeast!

There's a guy in Duluth MN who makes wine from armyworms (tent catepillars)
..

http://www.armywormwine.com

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Tom S

"Phil" > wrote in message
om...
> Long time beer brewer 1st time wine maker.
>
> So I picked some fresh cherries (10kg), mixed'em with sugar and
> boiling water, let it cool, put a 1/4 teaspoon of sulfate in it, let
> it sit 24 hours, then pitched some red wine yeast after rehydrating it
> per what it said on the package.
>
> Now 14 hours later I looked under the plastic lid I had sitting loosly
> over the plastic bucket. Fermentation has started but I also saw a
> bunch of dead white little worms (maggots?) about 3 to 4mm long all
> over the surface along with the whole cherries.
>
> What should I do? Should I skim off the top layer of maggots and
> cherries?
>
> Why didn't I see these maggots while it was sitting with the sufate
> stuff waiting for the yeast to be pitched? Were they always there
> living in the cherries, but when I pitched the yeast, the ferment
> started killing them off?

It's probably the hot water that did 'em in. I don't understand why you
didn't see them when you were pitting the fruit. You _did_ pit the
cherries, didn't you?

See if you can skim them out, but leave the fruit. A little protein fining
later on will take care of whatever remains of them. Grapes come in from
the field with lots of bugs too, and they go straight into the crusher
without being washed. They get separated at the first racking.

Tom S

Dan K

Phil
That's why a straining bag works great! They hide all those little impuities
you may not want to see. As Grag said, just scoop them out and continue
making the wine. Just think of it as a little of mother nature's natural
spices!

Dan

"Phil" > wrote in message
om...
> Long time beer brewer 1st time wine maker.
>
> So I picked some fresh cherries (10kg), mixed'em with sugar and
> boiling water, let it cool, put a 1/4 teaspoon of sulfate in it, let
> it sit 24 hours, then pitched some red wine yeast after rehydrating it
> per what it said on the package.
>
> Now 14 hours later I looked under the plastic lid I had sitting loosly
> over the plastic bucket. Fermentation has started but I also saw a
> bunch of dead white little worms (magots?) about 3 to 4mm long all
> over the surface along with the whole cherries.
>
> What should I do? Should I skim off the top layer of maggots and
> cherries?
>
> Why didn't I see these maggots while it was sitting with the sufate
> stuff waiting for the yeast to be pitched? Were they always there
> living in the cherries, but when I pitched the yeast, the ferment
> started killing them off?
>
> Please help me out guys and girls.
>
> I'm pretty down. My very 1st attempt at wine and I get maggots? My
> god I'm scarred to eat cherries now.

Mark L.

I saw on a web site (Jack"s)?? that the average ton of grapes contains
X amount of bird droppings...X number wasps...X number of rat's nests
etc.. The point is that you should keep on making the wine. Any
impurities will fall by the wayside the stronger your wine gets.
There are no pathogesn that will remain once you achieve 12% alcohol.
Hope this puts your mind to ease.

Mark L.
Buffalo-Niagara USA

"Tom S" > wrote in message . com>...
> "Phil" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Long time beer brewer 1st time wine maker.
> >
> > So I picked some fresh cherries (10kg), mixed'em with sugar and
> > boiling water, let it cool, put a 1/4 teaspoon of sulfate in it, let
> > it sit 24 hours, then pitched some red wine yeast after rehydrating it
> > per what it said on the package.
> >
> > Now 14 hours later I looked under the plastic lid I had sitting loosly
> > over the plastic bucket. Fermentation has started but I also saw a
> > bunch of dead white little worms (maggots?) about 3 to 4mm long all
> > over the surface along with the whole cherries.
> >
> > What should I do? Should I skim off the top layer of maggots and
> > cherries?
> >
> > Why didn't I see these maggots while it was sitting with the sufate
> > stuff waiting for the yeast to be pitched? Were they always there
> > living in the cherries, but when I pitched the yeast, the ferment
> > started killing them off?

> It's probably the hot water that did 'em in. I don't understand why you
> didn't see them when you were pitting the fruit. You _did_ pit the
> cherries, didn't you?
>
> See if you can skim them out, but leave the fruit. A little protein fining
> later on will take care of whatever remains of them. Grapes come in from
> the field with lots of bugs too, and they go straight into the crusher
> without being washed. They get separated at the first racking.
>
> Tom S

Phil

"> It's probably the hot water that did 'em in. I don't understand
why you
> didn't see them when you were pitting the fruit. You _did_ pit the
> cherries, didn't you?

No I didn't pit them. I put them in a sanitized plastic bucket after
washing and destemming them. I then washed my feet real good, put the
bucket next to the bath tub,(so I could just step out and rinse my
feet when finished) and stomped on'em till they were good and mushy.

I've been lerking on this group for about a week and found a link here
that said that it wasn't necessary to always pit. Some of the
recipies said to pit'em some said don't bother.
http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/contents.html

> See if you can skim them out, but leave the fruit. A little protein fining
> later on will take care of whatever remains of them. Grapes come in from
> the field with lots of bugs too, and they go straight into the crusher
> without being washed. They get separated at the first racking.

OK I'll just let it go. BTW the ferment is really going good. The
smell is actually pretty nice. It's not like beer though. I'm used
to tons of foam (kruausen) on top of the beer. This ferment just
seems to push the cherries (and maggot:-( to the top.
Phil

"Dan K" > wrote in message >...
> Phil
> That's why a straining bag works great! They hide all those little impuities
> you may not want to see. As Grag said, just scoop them out and continue
> making the wine. Just think of it as a little of mother nature's natural
> spices!
>
> Dan

I plan on straining them through a big ass grain steeping bag used for
beer. I didn't know wine making would be so easy. If you are already
brewing beer, you have all of the equipment.

BTW I plan to bottle using screw tops. A lot of the wineries here are
using them now instead of corks. Any problem with this?
Tom S

"Phil" > wrote in message
om...
> I didn't know wine making would be so easy.

Hah! You aren't finished yet. Plenty of traps along the way.

> BTW I plan to bottle using screw tops. A lot of the wineries here are
> using them now instead of corks. Any problem with this?

None as far as I can tell. Some of the studies I've read say that among
cork, synthetic corq and screwcaps, the screwcaps retain freshness and
bottle to bottle consistency much better. If you're a brewer you have a
crown capper. You could go with that too.

Tom S

Greg Cook

On 7/6/04 7:03 AM, in article
, "Tom S"
> wrote:

> "Phil" > wrote in message
> om...
>> I didn't know wine making would be so easy.

> Hah! You aren't finished yet. Plenty of traps along the way.
>
>> BTW I plan to bottle using screw tops. A lot of the wineries here are
>> using them now instead of corks. Any problem with this?

> None as far as I can tell. Some of the studies I've read say that among
> cork, synthetic corq and screwcaps, the screwcaps retain freshness and
> bottle to bottle consistency much better. If you're a brewer you have a
> crown capper. You could go with that too.
>
> Tom S

But don't the commercial wineries use a special machine to apply the caps? I
thought that a hand-screwed cap was not the best to use because you just
couldn't get the as tight as machine applied ones. I'm curious what is
available for the home winemaker to apply screw caps for long term
protection?

Since you're a beer maker, I would suggest you use standard crown caps. They
work great and a 12 oz bottle is a nice serving size.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/aws

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Phil

"> None as far as I can tell. Some of the studies I've read say that
among
> cork, synthetic corq and screwcaps, the screwcaps retain freshness and
> bottle to bottle consistency much better. If you're a brewer you have a
> crown capper. You could go with that too.

Actually I don't have a crown capper. I'm in Germany so I can easily
get swing top bottles. That's a lot easier than capping.

But I don't think the wine would look too apetizeing sitting in those
brown swing top bottles.
Phil

"> None as far as I can tell. Some of the studies I've read say that
among
> cork, synthetic corq and screwcaps, the screwcaps retain freshness and
> bottle to bottle consistency much better. If you're a brewer you have a
> crown capper. You could go with that too.

Actually I don't have a crown capper. I'm in Germany so I can easily
get swing top bottles. That's a lot easier than capping.

But I don't think the wine would look too apetizeing sitting in those
brown swing top bottles.
Thomas

"Phil" > wrote in message
om...
> "> None as far as I can tell. Some of the studies I've read say that
> among
> > cork, synthetic corq and screwcaps, the screwcaps retain freshness and
> > bottle to bottle consistency much better. If you're a brewer you have a
> > crown capper. You could go with that too.

> Actually I don't have a crown capper. I'm in Germany so I can easily
> get swing top bottles. That's a lot easier than capping.

Is this not dangerous? I understood that cork was best because it would blow
if the wine started fermenting again. Could the bottle not explode? Or are
the bottles/ screw tops designed to take the pressure caused by re
fermenting?

--
Regards
Thomas

---

Thomas

"Phil" > wrote in message
om...
> "> None as far as I can tell. Some of the studies I've read say that
> among
> > cork, synthetic corq and screwcaps, the screwcaps retain freshness and
> > bottle to bottle consistency much better. If you're a brewer you have a
> > crown capper. You could go with that too.

> Actually I don't have a crown capper. I'm in Germany so I can easily
> get swing top bottles. That's a lot easier than capping.

Is this not dangerous? I understood that cork was best because it would blow
if the wine started fermenting again. Could the bottle not explode? Or are
the bottles/ screw tops designed to take the pressure caused by re
fermenting?

--
Regards
Thomas
Edinburgh Scotland

---

Thomas

"Phil" > wrote in message
om...
> "> None as far as I can tell. Some of the studies I've read say that
> among
> > cork, synthetic corq and screwcaps, the screwcaps retain freshness and
> > bottle to bottle consistency much better. If you're a brewer you have a
> > crown capper. You could go with that too.

> Actually I don't have a crown capper. I'm in Germany so I can easily
> get swing top bottles. That's a lot easier than capping.

Is this not dangerous? I understood that cork was best because it would blow
if the wine started fermenting again. Could the bottle not explode? Or are
the bottles/ screw tops designed to take the pressure caused by re
fermenting?

--
Regards
Thomas
Edinburgh Scotland

---

Tom S

"Thomas" > wrote in message

> "Phil" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Actually I don't have a crown capper. I'm in Germany so I can easily
> > get swing top bottles. That's a lot easier than capping.
> >

> Is this not dangerous? I understood that cork was best because it would

blow
> if the wine started fermenting again. Could the bottle not explode?

If he's using Grolsch bottles, pressure buildup won't be a problem. They'll
leak before the bottle bursts.

Tom S

Bob

"Tom S" > wrote in message
m...

> "Thomas" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Phil" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Actually I don't have a crown capper. I'm in Germany so I can easily
> > > get swing top bottles. That's a lot easier than capping.
> > >

> > Is this not dangerous? I understood that cork was best because it would

> blow
> > if the wine started fermenting again. Could the bottle not explode?

> If he's using Grolsch bottles, pressure buildup won't be a problem.

They'll
> leak before the bottle bursts.
>
> Tom S

In all my years, I have never seen a burst bottle do anything but blow
the bottom out. It is barely noticeable; you just hear a <pong!> and a
sudden noise of flowing liquids..... I had a batch of mead high up in my
cabinets. One morning whilst eating my corn flakes a series of pops was
heard and sparkling mead began cascading from the cabinets.....
Bob<><

Thomas

"Bob" > wrote in message
link.net...

> In all my years, I have never seen a burst bottle do anything but blow
> the bottom out. It is barely noticeable; you just hear a <pong!> and a
> sudden noise of flowing liquids..... I had a batch of mead high up in my
> cabinets. One morning whilst eating my corn flakes a series of pops was
> heard and sparkling mead began cascading from the cabinets.....
> Bob<><

LOL That will be ok then. I'm sure the wife wont' mind!
--
Regards
Thomas

---

Thomas

"Bob" > wrote in message
link.net...

> In all my years, I have never seen a burst bottle do anything but blow
> the bottom out. It is barely noticeable; you just hear a <pong!> and a
> sudden noise of flowing liquids..... I had a batch of mead high up in my
> cabinets. One morning whilst eating my corn flakes a series of pops was
> heard and sparkling mead began cascading from the cabinets.....
> Bob<><

LOL That will be ok then. I'm sure the wife wont' mind!
--
Regards
Thomas
Edinburgh Scotland

---

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

In article >,
Phil > wrote:

>Now 14 hours later I looked under the plastic lid I had sitting loosly
>over the plastic bucket. Fermentation has started but I also saw a
>bunch of dead white little worms (magots?) about 3 to 4mm long all
>over the surface along with the whole cherries.

I'd doubt that they're maggots, though--aren't those only laid in dead
meat?

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

In article >,
Phil > wrote:
(Dr. Richard E. Hawkins) wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Phil > wrote:

>> >Now 14 hours later I looked under the plastic lid I had sitting loosly
>> >over the plastic bucket. Fermentation has started but I also saw a
>> >bunch of dead white little worms (magots?) about 3 to 4mm long all
>> >over the surface along with the whole cherries.

>> I'd doubt that they're maggots, though--aren't those only laid in dead

>I don't know. If they were not maggots, what the hell were they?

Beats me. There's a multitude of nasty critters that want our beer &
wine . . .

>say 'were' cause I strained out the pulp, pits, and er, for now I'll
>call them creepy crawlers;-) and put the liquid in the secondary.

Hmm, there *must* be a use for the former creepy crawlers . . .

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail
These opinions will not be those of X and postings.
Penn State until it pays my retainer. / \
Daniel_B

In 2002, I got some cherries from two sources in the Okanagan. One source
had perfect cherries. The other source had many cherries with the little
white worms. Exactly what they are, I don't know. I did my best to eliminate
them as I was washing and pitting, but I did notice several oozing out of my
somewhat stretched nylon straining bag as I was squeezing the juice out. I
know for a fact that my cherry wine had a little extra protein in it that
year, but what I've sampled is still good.

"Phil" > wrote in message
om...
> (Dr. Richard E. Hawkins) wrote in message

> > In article >,
> > Phil > wrote:
> >
> > >Now 14 hours later I looked under the plastic lid I had sitting loosly
> > >over the plastic bucket. Fermentation has started but I also saw a
> > >bunch of dead white little worms (magots?) about 3 to 4mm long all
> > >over the surface along with the whole cherries.

> > I'd doubt that they're maggots, though--aren't those only laid in dead
> > meat?

> I don't know. If they were not maggots, what the hell were they? I
> say 'were' cause I strained out the pulp, pits, and er, for now I'll
> call them creepy crawlers;-) and put the liquid in the secondary.

Daniel_B

In 2002, I got some cherries from two sources in the Okanagan. One source
had perfect cherries. The other source had many cherries with the little
white worms. Exactly what they are, I don't know. I did my best to eliminate
them as I was washing and pitting, but I did notice several oozing out of my
somewhat stretched nylon straining bag as I was squeezing the juice out. I
know for a fact that my cherry wine had a little extra protein in it that
year, but what I've sampled is still good.

"Phil" > wrote in message
om...
> (Dr. Richard E. Hawkins) wrote in message

> > In article >,
> > Phil > wrote:
> >
> > >Now 14 hours later I looked under the plastic lid I had sitting loosly
> > >over the plastic bucket. Fermentation has started but I also saw a
> > >bunch of dead white little worms (magots?) about 3 to 4mm long all
> > >over the surface along with the whole cherries.

> > I'd doubt that they're maggots, though--aren't those only laid in dead
> > meat?

> I don't know. If they were not maggots, what the hell were they? I
> say 'were' cause I strained out the pulp, pits, and er, for now I'll
> call them creepy crawlers;-) and put the liquid in the secondary.

Daniel_B

I use a heating coil, so I ferment both my wines and beers at a higher temp.
I would imagine your specific gravity has dropped significantly since you
started, so you'll want to rack it off the sediment and give your straining
bag a final squeeze and dispose the pulp ASAP to avoid any off-flavouring.
Your starting SG should have been up around 1.090, and after about a week
you should have been down to around 1.030, which is when this racking should
have happened. It can take another few weeks to finally ferment down. I'd
guess you're fairly close to final already.

"Phil" > wrote in message
om...
> It's funny what you say about worms 'oozing' out of the straining bag.
> I didn't squeeze mine hardly at all for the reason you mentioned. I
> was scarred that I'd be squeezing magots (or what ever the hell they
> were) into the juice.
>
> Anyway this is my first wine and it's been a month since I pitched the
> yeast and it's fricking still fermenting like crazy! I can't figure
> this out. If I had beer at this temp. (70°f) it would be done in 3 to
> 4 days. Is this normal? I have not taken a gravity sample since the
> sqeeze/filter day, as I heard that you risk oxidation by popping of
> the airlock and bung.
>
> I still haven't decided how I'm gonna top off at the next transfer. I
> was thinking of just buying a couple of liters of weissherbst/rose and
> dumping that in there. My theory is that this wine is fairly neuteral
> and won't have that much effect on the final product. I have about 23
> to 24 liters of wine FWIW.
>

> "Daniel_B" > wrote in message

> > In 2002, I got some cherries from two sources in the Okanagan. One

source
> > had perfect cherries. The other source had many cherries with the little
> > white worms. Exactly what they are, I don't know. I did my best to

eliminate
> > them as I was washing and pitting, but I did notice several oozing out

of my
> > somewhat stretched nylon straining bag as I was squeezing the juice out.

> > know for a fact that my cherry wine had a little extra protein in it

that
> > year, but what I've sampled is still good.

Daniel_B

"Phil" > wrote in message
om...
> It's funny what you say about worms 'oozing' out of the straining bag.
> I didn't squeeze mine hardly at all for the reason you mentioned. I
> was scarred that I'd be squeezing magots (or what ever the hell they
> were) into the juice.
>
> Anyway this is my first wine and it's been a month since I pitched the
> yeast and it's fricking still fermenting like crazy! I can't figure
> this out. If I had beer at this temp. (70°f) it would be done in 3 to
> 4 days. Is this normal? I have not taken a gravity sample since the
> sqeeze/filter day, as I heard that you risk oxidation by popping of
> the airlock and bung.
>
> I still haven't decided how I'm gonna top off at the next transfer. I
> was thinking of just buying a couple of liters of weissherbst/rose and
> dumping that in there. My theory is that this wine is fairly neuteral
> and won't have that much effect on the final product. I have about 23
> to 24 liters of wine FWIW.
>

> "Daniel_B" > wrote in message

> > In 2002, I got some cherries from two sources in the Okanagan. One

source
> > had perfect cherries. The other source had many cherries with the little
> > white worms. Exactly what they are, I don't know. I did my best to

eliminate
> > them as I was washing and pitting, but I did notice several oozing out

of my
> > somewhat stretched nylon straining bag as I was squeezing the juice out.

> > know for a fact that my cherry wine had a little extra protein in it

that
> > year, but what I've sampled is still good.

Phil

"Daniel_B" > wrote in message >...
> I would imagine your specific gravity has dropped significantly since you
> started, so you'll want to rack it off the sediment and give your straining
> bag a final squeeze and dispose the pulp ASAP to avoid any off-flavouring.

I already did this after a week. The gravity was 1.094 or so and
after a week it was 1.050. At that point (one week) I did what you
said to do. But fermentation started up again like crazy. Foam on
top, airlock going crazy. It's been in this secondary for about 3
weeks. It's been 4 weeks since the initial primary. Primary was done
in a platic bucket. Secondary is being done in a glass balloon with
lots of head space. I'm not worried about oxydation as the air lock
is plopping every second and a half.

> Your starting SG should have been up around 1.090, and after about a week
> you should have been down to around 1.030, which is when this racking should
> have happened. It can take another few weeks to finally ferment down. I'd
> guess you're fairly close to final already.

I guess I'll just forget about it for at least 2 more weeks.