Default "natural" coloring is made from crushed beetles

I'm a student and I'm researching a food coloring called
carmine/cochineal. This red coloring is derived from crushed up
beetles. However, because it is considered a natural ingredient, theFDA
only requires it to be labeled as "natural coloring." I was
wondering what vegans think of this. Are most vegans aware of
this ingredient? Would you prefer carmine to be listed as "carmine
(insect derived)" so you could avoid it? Do you think the FDA's
current policy is adequate?
Thanks.

Sarah Carter

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm a student and I'm researching a food coloring called
> carmine/cochineal. This red coloring is derived from crushed up
> beetles. However, because it is considered a natural ingredient, theFDA
> only requires it to be labeled as "natural coloring." I was
> wondering what vegans think of this. Are most vegans aware of
> this ingredient?

I only speak for myself, but I knew this when I became vegetarian. I'm not
vegan. (yet)

Sarah