Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Got lard?

We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week: not
bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else. Just soft,
sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching some for the next
batch of biscuits or pie crust.

Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
stuff?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 10:44 am, "Felice Friese" > wrote:
> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week: not
> bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else. Just soft,
> sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching some for the next
> batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>
> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
> stuff?
>
> Felice

Yup - we can get it at local meat locker outfits around here.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Felice Friese" > wrote:

> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week: not
> bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else. Just soft,
> sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching some for the next
> batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>
> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
> stuff?
>
> Felice

I often keep bacon fat in the 'frige. Does that count? ;-)

Glad I did even tho' it's been awhile since I used it.
I just fried some calves liver for dad, and he demanded I do it in bacon
fat! <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:

> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week: not
> bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else. Just soft,
> sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching some for the next
> batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>
> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
> stuff?
>
> Felice

We make our own. The local supermarkets (and the Vietnamese shop)
usually have packages of pork fat. Just trim off the meat slivers, wash
it and render it slowly in a heavy frying pan. Great for making tamales
etc as well.

Our late lamented cat Emperor Ming absolutely loved a lick of that lard
from time to time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:44:28 -0400, Felice Friese wrote:
>

>>We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week: not
>>bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else. Just soft,
>>sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching some for the next
>>batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>>
>>Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
>>stuff?

> I get mine at the mexican markets. They deep fry whole sides of
> pig and make chicarones, so the big kettles are always producing
> more lard.

Mmm.... Chicharonnes con salsa verde!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Felice Friese" > wrote:
>
>> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week: not
>> bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else. Just soft,
>> sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching some for the
>> next
>> batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>>
>> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
>> stuff?
>>
>> Felice

> I often keep bacon fat in the 'frige. Does that count? ;-)
>
> Glad I did even tho' it's been awhile since I used it.
> I just fried some calves liver for dad, and he demanded I do it in bacon
> fat! <G>
> --
> Peace, Om

Oh, absolutely. Bacon is pig, isn't it? Before I stash it in the fridge, I
strain it through cheesecloth and it's really beautiful.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Felice Friese wrote:
>>
>> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week: not
>> bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else. Just soft,
>> sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching some for the
>> next
>> batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>>
>> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
>> stuff?
>>
>> Felice

> We make our own. The local supermarkets (and the Vietnamese shop)
> usually have packages of pork fat. Just trim off the meat slivers, wash
> it and render it slowly in a heavy frying pan. Great for making tamales
> etc as well.
>
> Our late lamented cat Emperor Ming absolutely loved a lick of that lard
> from time to time.

Why, Arri, I never ever thought of making my own. What a great idea!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Felice Friese" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Felice Friese" > wrote:
> >
> >> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week: not
> >> bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else. Just soft,
> >> sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching some for the
> >> next
> >> batch of biscuits or pie crust.
> >>
> >> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
> >> stuff?
> >>
> >> Felice

> > I often keep bacon fat in the 'frige. Does that count? ;-)
> >
> > Glad I did even tho' it's been awhile since I used it.
> > I just fried some calves liver for dad, and he demanded I do it in bacon
> > fat! <G>
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> Oh, absolutely. Bacon is pig, isn't it? Before I stash it in the fridge, I
> strain it through cheesecloth and it's really beautiful.
>
> Felice

Hm, never considered straining it. All the "stuff" comes to the top so
all I have to do is scrape it off.

The rest is a nice pure cream color. Nice and clean.

Keeps forever too it seems.

I'm fixin' to do some ham stock from ham bone and skin from the freezer.
That rendering should be good for cooking as well. It's been a good year
or so since I've done that.

As soon as the weather chills out a bit, it will be time for a good pot
of beans cooked in ham stock.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:
> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week:
> not bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else.
> Just soft, sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching
> some for the next batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>
> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making
> the stuff?
>
> Felice

We've got 4 mason jars full of freshly rendered lard as I type. Our friends
in Georgia have a pig farm and we're always in the lard. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Felice Friese wrote:
> > We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week:
> > not bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else.
> > Just soft, sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching
> > some for the next batch of biscuits or pie crust.
> >
> > Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making
> > the stuff?
> >
> > Felice

> We've got 4 mason jars full of freshly rendered lard as I type. Our friends
> in Georgia have a pig farm and we're always in the lard. :~)
>
> kili

Man.

I've got to look into getting some lard for deep frying.

I think I can get the cutters at HEB to save me pork fat so I can make
it myself. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:
> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week:
> not bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else.
> Just soft, sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching
> some for the next batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>
> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making
> the stuff?

Indeed! I buy it in our local supermarkets

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-22, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> I get mine at the mexican markets. They deep fry whole sides of
> pig and make chicarones, so the big kettles are always producing
> more lard.

Yep. If you have any kind of a Mexican or Latino community, you have
carnicerias, Latino butcher shops. Much better to buy the real deal
than the refined and hydrogenated Armour manteca at the gringo supers.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 9:44 am, "Felice Friese" > wrote:
> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week: not
> bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else. Just soft,
> sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching some for the next
> batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>
> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
> stuff?

Yes, it does. Lard is yummy. For pastries in general I'd prefer
butter, but I'm not much of a pie guy anyway, so what do I know?

> Felice

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote

> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week:
> not bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else.
> Just soft, sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching
> some for the next batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>
> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making
> the stuff?

Is it the fibrous stuff, as un-aged only-fat bacon, or is it the part
who totally melts when heated? The second one I guess, reading Steve's
post about mexicans deep friyng pig sides.
The second one is very common here where I live, but in other parts of
Italy it is almost unknown of.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 22, 9:44 am, Omelet > wrote:

> I often keep bacon fat in the 'frige. Does that count? ;-)
>
> Glad I did even tho' it's been awhile since I used it.
> I just fried some calves liver for dad, and he demanded I do it in bacon
> fat! <G>

A man who knows shat tastes good. Besides frying eggs, I use it for
refrying pinto beans (just a little, but it definitely adds flavor),
and if I happen to have a lot I'll fry chicken in a mixture of bacon
fat and a neutral oil. I haven't used it in baking, but it wouldn't
matter because I'm a lousy baker. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Felice Friese wrote:
>> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week:
>> not bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else.
>> Just soft, sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching
>> some for the next batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>>
>> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making
>> the stuff?
>>
>> Felice

> We've got 4 mason jars full of freshly rendered lard as I type. Our
> friends
> in Georgia have a pig farm and we're always in the lard. :~)
>
> kili

Oh, wow, 4 mason jars of the glorious substance! Do you stand there and
admire them?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese > wrote:

> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
> stuff?

It does, indeed, even if Schweineschmalz (lard) - and Gänseschmalz
(rendered goose fat) - is sold at most every supermarket and at a lot of
butcher shops and groceries here in Germany. They are available either
plain, or with Grieben (cracklings), and sometimes with such additions
as onions and apples. :-P

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco > wrote:

> Is it the fibrous stuff, as un-aged only-fat bacon, or is it the part
> who totally melts when heated?

It is "strutto" in Italian.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote in message
> Felice Friese wrote
>
>> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week:
>> not bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else.
>> Just soft, sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching
>> some for the next batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>>
>> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making
>> the stuff?

> Is it the fibrous stuff, as un-aged only-fat bacon, or is it the part
> who totally melts when heated? The second one I guess, reading Steve's
> post about mexicans deep friyng pig sides.
> The second one is very common here where I live, but in other parts of
> Italy it is almost unknown of.
> --
> Vilco
> Think pink, drink rose'

It's what melts, and it's really pure and white. Lovely stuff.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Felice Friese wrote:
> >>
> >> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week: not
> >> bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else. Just soft,
> >> sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching some for the
> >> next
> >> batch of biscuits or pie crust.
> >>
> >> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
> >> stuff?
> >>
> >> Felice

> > We make our own. The local supermarkets (and the Vietnamese shop)
> > usually have packages of pork fat. Just trim off the meat slivers, wash
> > it and render it slowly in a heavy frying pan. Great for making tamales
> > etc as well.
> >
> > Our late lamented cat Emperor Ming absolutely loved a lick of that lard
> > from time to time.

> Why, Arri, I never ever thought of making my own. What a great idea!
>
> Felice

There ya go. Just watch it carefully so it doesn't burn. So much tastier
than the nasty bleached stuff!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:

>> We make our own. The local supermarkets (and the Vietnamese shop)
>> usually have packages of pork fat. Just trim off the meat slivers, wash
>> it and render it slowly in a heavy frying pan. Great for making tamales
>> etc as well.
>>
>> Our late lamented cat Emperor Ming absolutely loved a lick of that lard
>> from time to time.

> Why, Arri, I never ever thought of making my own. What a great idea!
>
> Felice

This past weekend we went and bought pork from a farmer in SC who raises
heirloom breeds of pastured pork (free range pigs!) and one of my
purchases was pork belly. Pork belly is the part of the pig they make
bacon from, except this is uncured, unsmoked, just plain pork belly. I
could use it for making lard. The small bits of meat would just fall
loose and be good. My father used to tell of making lard in the front
yard yearly and that his mother would take the crispy cracklings and put
them in her bread dough. He said it was wonderfully tasty.
Michael Ruhlman's blog this past week has featured pork belly which
sounds amazing....!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> We've got 4 mason jars full of freshly rendered lard as I type. Our
> >> friends in Georgia have a pig farm and we're always in the lard. :~)
> >>
> >> kili

> > Man.
> >
> > I've got to look into getting some lard for deep frying.
> >
> > I think I can get the cutters at HEB to save me pork fat so I can make
> > it myself. ;-)

> Want me to send you a pic of our lard so you can drool over it? :~)
>
> kili

<lol> Do you home render it?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
aem > wrote:

> On Aug 22, 9:44 am, Omelet > wrote:
> >
> > I often keep bacon fat in the 'frige. Does that count? ;-)
> >
> > Glad I did even tho' it's been awhile since I used it.
> > I just fried some calves liver for dad, and he demanded I do it in bacon
> > fat! <G>

> A man who knows what tastes good.

True. :-)
I don't cook him liver anywhere near often enough and he does like it,
so I'm glad I had the bacon fat on hand.

> Besides frying eggs, I use it for
> refrying pinto beans (just a little, but it definitely adds flavor),
> and if I happen to have a lot I'll fry chicken in a mixture of bacon
> fat and a neutral oil. I haven't used it in baking, but it wouldn't
> matter because I'm a lousy baker. -aem

I have fried eggs in bacon fat in the past (using a grease basting
technique my mom taught me) but it's been awhile...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:44:28 -0400, "Felice Friese"
> wrote:

>We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week: not
>bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else. Just soft,
>sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching some for the next
>batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>
>Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making the
>stuff?

Lardy, lardy girl.... I've never known anyplace that made it fresh, so
it's always available for me on a shelf in the red & white box.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:
> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week:
> not bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else.
> Just soft, sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching
> some for the next batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>
> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making
> the stuff?
>
> Felice

Have at it. Enjoy. Join Joe-whoever in being thrilled with his new pot .
Lard has never gone away. I'm not sure what you're so excited about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> This past weekend we went and bought pork from a farmer in SC who raises
> heirloom breeds of pastured pork (free range pigs!) and one of my
> purchases was pork belly. Pork belly is the part of the pig they make
> bacon from, except this is uncured, unsmoked, just plain pork belly. I
> could use it for making lard. The small bits of meat would just fall loose
> and be good. My father used to tell of making lard in the front yard
> yearly and that his mother would take the crispy cracklings and put them
> in her bread dough. He said it was wonderfully tasty.
> Michael Ruhlman's blog this past week has featured pork belly which sounds
> amazing....!

This, believe it or not, is where mine comes from. That is my business
partner's mother in law.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5zdaref

Pork belly and veal belly are both terrific ingredients that can make
amazing dishes. I wasn't so sold on his deep frying it!

--
Food and fashion
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Felice Friese wrote:
>> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week:
>> not bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else.
>> Just soft, sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching
>> some for the next batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>>
>> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making
>> the stuff?
>>
>> Felice

> Have at it. Enjoy. Join Joe-whoever in being thrilled with his new pot .
> Lard has never gone away. I'm not sure what you're so excited about.

Of course its use has certainly diminished over the years. I would be
surprised if anyone under 30 or so had ever used (or knew of it?) if
their own mothers hadn't?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 4:20 am, Goomba38 > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > Felice Friese wrote:
> >> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week:
> >> not bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else.
> >> Just soft, sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching
> >> some for the next batch of biscuits or pie crust.

> >> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making
> >> the stuff?

> >> Felice

> > Have at it. Enjoy. Join Joe-whoever in being thrilled with his new pot .
> > Lard has never gone away. I'm not sure what you're so excited about.

> Of course its use has certainly diminished over the years. I would be
> surprised if anyone under 30 or so had ever used (or knew of it?) if
> their own mothers hadn't?

You used to be able to find non-hydrogenated lard in the refrigerated
meat case. Most stores here now only carry the hydrogenated lard.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> > <lol> Do you home render it?

> Rendered into my husband's gullet! :~)
>
> kili

<grins>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Felice Friese wrote:
>>> We have a market in Boston that renders its own pork fat every week:
>>> not bleached, hydrogenated, refined, emulsified or anything else.
>>> Just soft, sweet, delicate lard. I'm seriously thinking of fetching
>>> some for the next batch of biscuits or pie crust.
>>>
>>> Doesn't it do your hearts good to know that someone is still making
>>> the stuff?
>>>
>>> Felice

>> Have at it. Enjoy. Join Joe-whoever in being thrilled with his new
>> pot . Lard has never gone away. I'm not sure what you're so excited
>> about.

> Of course its use has certainly diminished over the years. I would be
> surprised if anyone under 30 or so had ever used (or knew of it?) if
> their own mothers hadn't?

Heh. My mom didn't used lard for anything. Her mom probably did. My mom
used margarine (eeeek!) and Crisco. I'd rather use lard, if I had a use for
it. Butter on rolls and bread, absolutely!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 00:07:50 -0700, sf wrote:

>Lardy, lardy girl.... I've never known anyplace that made it fresh, so
>it's always available for me on a shelf in the red & white box.

I think there are some markets in the Mission where you can find it
freshly made. I seem to remember a thread on Chowhound a few years
back about this. And there are some places in the east bay as well.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 9:13 pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Want me to send you a pic of our lard so you can drool over it? :~)

> >> kili

> > <lol> Do you home render it?

> Rendered into my husband's gullet! :~)

Render unto thine husband?

> kili

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:38:54 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 00:07:50 -0700, sf wrote:
>

>>Lardy, lardy girl.... I've never known anyplace that made it fresh, so
>>it's always available for me on a shelf in the red & white box.
>>

>I think there are some markets in the Mission where you can find it
>freshly made. I seem to remember a thread on Chowhound a few years
>back about this. And there are some places in the east bay as well.

I've never felt a need for fresh, chris!

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:02:54 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Goomba38 wrote:
>>
>> Of course its use has certainly diminished over the years. I would be
>> surprised if anyone under 30 or so had ever used (or knew of it?) if
>> their own mothers hadn't?

>Heh. My mom didn't used lard for anything. Her mom probably did. My mom
>used margarine (eeeek!) and Crisco.

She didn't even use lard in pie crusts? It seems like the last
bastion for lard among us European descended whities.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:02:54 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Goomba38 wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course its use has certainly diminished over the years. I would
>>> be surprised if anyone under 30 or so had ever used (or knew of
>>> it?) if their own mothers hadn't?

>> Heh. My mom didn't used lard for anything. Her mom probably did.
>> My mom used margarine (eeeek!) and Crisco.

> She didn't even use lard in pie crusts? It seems like the last
> bastion for lard among us European descended whities.

Not everyone's mom bakes pies. I remember Dad rolling out a crust once,
said something about adding vinegar to it for some reason I can't fathom.
But he used Crisco, not lard. (IIRC the pie sucked.) I buy premade deep
dish crusts. I've never bought lard. Of course you can buy lard; it's in
every grocery store. Do I buy it? Nope.

Jill

Sweet Lard? maxine in ri General Cooking 20 24-10-2017 02:57 PM
Lard George Leppla General Cooking 8 26-07-2009 04:46 PM
Sub for lard? Julie Bove General Cooking 197 22-03-2008 04:03 PM
lard [email protected] General Cooking 1 27-11-2003 02:35 AM
lard [email protected] General Cooking 0 27-11-2003 12:49 AM